This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
    I agree with all of those bolded statements. So why are you upset with me again? I'm saying the same thing.
    Because you're painting anyone that's not upset about the move as kool aid drinking fanboys. When that's not the case. I think most posters here are reasonable and level headed and realize that the expectations for the team will depend on how this young Oline will play, and how the Defense that was the worst in franchise history last year will take to Ryan's scheme.

We're saying the same things..but have two different outlooks. Neither is wrong.

Comment

• Anyone buying Madden for 360? If so, I'd like to hear your review of it. Thanks!

Comment

• Here's the thing that I think some are missing. While I agree our young guys are going to take their lumps, the opposing point seems to be that the errors were non existant for the veterans.

The reality was that even though they were veterans, they couldn't move and because of that, Garrett's playbook was very limited. With these young kids, the playbook is wide open now. I think the added flexibility can negate the diff in experience.

So bottom line, while I agree there will be some lumps due to youth, the positives with regards to what Garrett can now do with the gameplan means that big picture, the team could actually be better.

As to the defense, while everyone focuses on the fact that they were so bad last year, and they were, the also seem to forget that 2 years ago they were the #2 defense in the league with virtually the same personnel. While I don't think they are that good, I think they are more than capable of being a middle of the pack defense. With a good offense and a middle of the pack defense, I think we can compete for this division title.
        In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Although it is VERY disappointing that Jerry can never find a trade partner. I'm not upset with the getting rid of Gurode, that's what teams like the Pats/Eagles/Steelers do....but those teams always seem to flip players for picks.

I'm reading that there's 6 teams that are interested in Gurode, and there's no doubt his Salary had something to do with him being traded, but Jerry couldn't find just ONE team to give up a 6th? *shaking my head*

Comment

• Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
            Here's the thing that I think some are missing. While I agree our young guys are going to take their lumps, the opposing point seems to be that the errors were non existant for the veterans.

The reality was that even though they were veterans, they couldn't move and because of that, Garrett's playbook was very limited. With these young kids, the playbook is wide open now. I think the added flexibility can negate the diff in experience.

So bottom line, while I agree there will be some lumps due to youth, the positives with regards to what Garrett can now do with the gameplan means that big picture, the team could actually be better.

As to the defense, while everyone focuses on the fact that they were so bad last year, and they were, the also seem to forget that 2 years ago they were the #2 defense in the league with virtually the same personnel. While I don't think they are that good, I think they are more than capable of being a middle of the pack defense. With a good offense and a middle of the pack defense, I think we can compete for this division title.
            Good post. I agree on the assessment of the OL. I feel that these guys fit JG's scheme a lot more than the old guys. We need slightly smaller, more agile players. There will be some lumps, but I feel that can be overcome.

The defense is still a mystery to me. I'm hoping we can cure some of the secondary issues with a better pass rush this year. Pressure is on Spencer and if Butler can live up to the pre-season hype we could be in good shape. I agree that we can be a middle of the pack defense.

Comment

• MOTH,

Check the review out.. 7.5 for gamespot for Madden. Come on! Seems like the game is progressively getting worse! But hey, at least I can see TD celebrations!

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/spor...%3Bread-review

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshBoy! View Post
                Because you're painting anyone that's not upset about the move as kool aid drinking fanboys. When that's not the case. I think most posters here are reasonable and level headed and realize that the expectations for the team will depend on how this young Oline will play, and how the Defense that was the worst in franchise history last year will take to Ryan's scheme.

We're saying the same things..but have two different outlooks. Neither is wrong.
                That's not even accurate. I keep saying this, but it's not sinking in, so this is the last time I will say it before I give up. I am NOT upset with the cuts we have made. As for the OL...what I'm upset with is the lack of a better plan/strategy/philosophy.... the way they are relying on youth to step up right away. I don't think this was "the plan" going into the offseason. I don't think they prepared themselves for this. Rather, I think they saw something in Costa in practice/preaseason and decided to make an "on the fly" decision to cut Gurode... "on the fly" decision to move Kosier... "on the fly" decision to start Nagy. It's just the way this team went about rebuilding the OL. I think it's incredibly risky to do. I would've liked to see a better investment in FA, even adding "stop gap" type players like Kruetz.

I don't even know if I trust them in all their raving and praising of their young OL. I get a feeling Jerry missed the boat in FA and is now trying to sell the idea that what he found are hidden gems. Color me skeptical. Last season Sam Young was in this boat... and I never bought it last year, though I know more than a few here drank that kool aid.

I just gotta go back to their PLAN to revamp the line. They should've known Gurode was a candidate to be cut. Rather than placing all their eggs in Costa's basket, why not cover your ass and spread the risk? They could've used the draft and FA much better if they had been better prepared. Why do we have Bill Nagy as our starting LG? That's insane to me. Sorry, it is. So much for having high hopes on FA Guards like Davin Joseph, Blalock, Dahl...heck, even Colledge and Gallery provide less risk.

Now, I do have confidence that there is something budding with this group of young lineman, but I would've much rather preferred to put them on a development track. I admit, my skepticism could entirely be all for naught. If this 3 hat trick works to the point where our offense can move the ball and protect Romo, then I'll definitely be pleased with adequacy. They don't have to be dominant. Just mistake free and as effective as possible, and I think that is a possibility. Here's hoping this plan of Jerry's works. That's all I can say.

Comment

Here's the thing that I think some are missing. While I agree our young guys are going to take their lumps, the opposing point seems to be that the errors were non existant for the veterans.

Yeah, that's a good point about them being more mobile. I would've preferred to minimize the risk. We could've gotten guys that fit that weren't as inexperienced. Daryn Colledge would've been a perfect example.

The defense is going to have a steep learning curve. I just hope Rob can infuse a new attitude here and get the guys motivated to play above their talent level. I'm most curious to see which of our secondary guys he will be sending on DB blitzes cause that's a big part of his defensive playcalling and I don't know if we have those kind of guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                    I don't even know if I trust them in all their raving and praising of their young OL. I get a feeling Jerry missed the boat in FA and is now trying to sell the idea that what he found are hidden gems. Color me skeptical. Last season Sam Young was in this boat... and I never bought it last year, though I know more than a few here drank that kool aid.
                    I would agree if this were all about Jerry. I really listen to very little of what Jerry says. I trust that Garrett isn't going to sugar coat things.

I also put stock in what Broaddus says and he seems to thing these kids can play.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

I would agree if this were all about Jerry. I really listen to very little of what Jerry says. I trust that Garrett isn't going to sugar coat things.

I also put stock in what Broaddus says and he seems to thing these kids can play.
                      Meh. Garrett was the OC last year and I don't know about Broaddus, but the media pumped up Sam Young too.

edit: I do suppose Garrett has much more say over personnel decisions than he had in the past, and I like his style, so I won't look at last year's situations exactly like I do this year. Plus, there is a part of me that thinks he got the scoop from Wisconsin's OC about Nagy.
                      Last edited by D-Unit; 08-30-2011, 05:56 PM.

Comment

• ... but the strategy in personnel choices and development has been a major problem since Parcells left. Why folks are upset now over the OL is beyond me. Just a continuation of the last 3 years. FWIW, the MO to these moves are a great sign for the fans -- the day of big names with big excuses are over.

Comment

• Originally posted by yanksknicks View Post
                          ... but the strategy in personnel choices and development has been a major problem since Parcells left. Why folks are upset now over the OL is beyond me. Just a continuation of the last 3 years. FWIW, the MO to these moves are a great sign for the fans -- the day of big names with big excuses are over.
                          See, I don't think personnel has been the problem here. The problem here has been poor coaching by Wade. A team takes on the personna of it's head coach. Wade is relaxed and subdued. Therefore, the team has had no sense of urgency.

This is still, except for the new OL, pretty much the same team that was the #2 ranked defense and won it's division convincingly in 09.

I don't know how anyone that has watched our division rivals this preseason and not think we can compete for this division. The Eagles have some very good pieces, but their OL is worse than ours and the middle of their defense is soft. The Giants look okay on defense but they are going to have real problems scoring points this year. The Skins will be decent, but I'm not scared of anyone with Grossman as thier QB. And what happens if Vick gets dinged, which he has his entire career?

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Great piece at ESPN Dallas. Talking about what alot of us on here have been saying...

I love the folks who cover the Dallas Cowboys, because they're all so grouchy about the team. The Cowboys beat remains one of the last great bastions of skepticism in modern sports journalism. You talk to the people who spend their days around the team and you would think there wasn't one decent player on the roster except maybe DeMarcus Ware, and he needs to speak up more. I think it's the way teams should be covered -- relentless doubt and constant questioning of everything the newsmakers are saying. I've long believed that the beat writers who cover a team, since they examine it so closely every day and see all of the warts and flaws, should be the last ones to admit the team is any good.

Jean-Jacques Taylor is not a beat writer. He's the excellent new columnist for ESPNDallas.com. But he's been covering the Cowboys for a very long time, and I don't imagine he'll mind me lumping him in here. Especially in light of the column he has up right now, which says the Cowboys are in "full-fledged rebuilding mode just like the Buffalo Bills and Cleveland Browns." Jacques considers this a good thing, by the way, since it indicates that Jason Garrett is talking sense to Jerry Jones, but he believes it's going to have a seriously adverse effect on the team's chances this season:
                            No team with championship aspirations enters a season with essentially three rookies in its offensive line.

The Cowboys, as currently constructed, will win six to eight games.

And that's OK because instead of chasing fool's gold, Garrett is actually building a foundation for the future.

For years, Jerry Jones has convinced himself that his Cowboys were a couple of key players away from winning another title when that's never really been the case. It's certainly not true this season.

If we're honest, Green Bay, New Orleans, Atlanta, Philadelphia and Chicago are all much better than Dallas.

The New York Giants are slightly better, and none of us will be surprised if St. Louis, Detroit and, maybe, Minnesota surpass the Cowboys by the end of the season.

Finally, someone has convinced Jerry his team isn't nearly as talented as he thinks.
                            [+] Enlarge
                            AP Photo/James D Smith
                            After cutting veteran Andre Gurode, the Cowboys are slated to start two rookies on their offensive line.
                            All due respect to Jacques, nobody's "much better" than anybody in the NFL. And I will be surprised if St. Louis, Detroit and Minnesota turn out to be any better than Dallas. I know everybody's got the Rams and Lions down for sleepers, but I need to see it first. The talent on those rosters isn't nearly as proven as the talent on Dallas' roster, and there are more (and more glaring) holes. Minnesota is on the way down, and Donovan McNabb isn't going to be the answer. And as for the other teams on Jacques' list, the Falcons and Bears look like prime regression candidates to me, and it's not as though the Giants are without their own problems.

A team that has Ware, Tony Romo, Miles Austin, Dez Bryant, Jason Witten, Felix Jones, Jay Ratliff, Anthony Spencer and Mike Jenkins on its roster has no reason to consider itself a "rebuilding" team on the order of a Buffalo or Cleveland. Most of the analysis of the Cowboys as they come off a 6-10 season ignores the number of very good players they still have on their roster and locks in on the fact that the 2010 team fell so far short of expectations. All the defense has to do, under a new coordinator and with many of the same players that rampaged through the final months of 2009, is to move up from the very back to the middle of the pack in order to give the very good offense a chance to win games.

As for the offensive line, all we heard out of Dallas last year was how bad the offensive line was. So they make sweeping changes and now we're supposed to believe it's going to be worse? Sure, starting two rookies and a second-year guy is the kind of thing that sounds alarm bells. But it's not as though Tyron Smith, Bill Nagy and Phil Costa are replacing Russ Grimm, Jackie Slater and Anthony Munoz. There's a chance, given a little time together, they could be better on the line than they were last year. They can't be much worse. The Cowboys scored plenty of points last year behind the old line and with Romo on the shelf for the second half.

In the end, I guess my point is that there's a lot of room in the NFL between "rebuilding" and "Super Bowl champion," and I think the Cowboys right now rest in that space. I think they have a pretty good seat up near the front, too.

It's easy to look at the team you see every day and get caught up in the flaws, but every team has flaws. Six teams will make the playoffs from the NFC, and they won't all be great. Some of them will just be pretty good. Heck, last year, one was downright lousy, and it knocked off the defending champs in the first round.

This isn't a league in which a handful of teams contend and the rest don't. This is a league with ample middle ground from which some teams rise to great heights and others tumble. It happens every year, and we never know which teams will rise from the middle and which will fall. The Cowboys can be wisely future-focused and at the same time contend in 2011. These things are not mutually exclusive. It doesn't all have to be one extreme or the other -- not even with the Cowboys. I don't think they'll win their division and coast into the playoffs without a care, but I think they have enough very good players to make them a contender if they stay healthy and things break their way. The NFL has a lot of teams like that, and there's nothing wrong with being one of them.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Comment

• Frankly, I'm more worried about the kicker than I am the OL.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

See, I don't think personnel has been the problem here. The problem here has been poor coaching by Wade. A team takes on the personna of it's head coach. Wade is relaxed and subdued. Therefore, the team has had no sense of urgency.

This is still, except for the new OL, pretty much the same team that was the #2 ranked defense and won it's division convincingly in 09.

I don't know how anyone that has watched our division rivals this preseason and not think we can compete for this division. The Eagles have some very good pieces, but their OL is worse than ours and the middle of their defense is soft. The Giants look okay on defense but they are going to have real problems scoring points this year. The Skins will be decent, but I'm not scared of anyone with Grossman as thier QB. And what happens if Vick gets dinged, which he has his entire career?
                                Difference between 6-10 and 10-6 in the NFL is little to nothing. So, yeah we could be 10-6 and going to a Wild Card.

With that said, I do believe that Player Personnel and Development has been a big problem. Since 2007, Jones thought he was 1-2 players away. Which he was not. Young bodies were sacrificed for short term gain at the expense of long term improvement.

Miles Austin taking 3.5 years to see the field. Doug Free taking 3 years. Giving up on Carpenter after one year. Giving up on Burnett. Giving up on Elam very early. Giving up on Peterman (Lions). Giving up on Lousaka Polite. Going Felix and forgoing Mendenhall. Roy Williams trade. Giving up on Fasano for Bennett. Some of the draft picks like Brewster, the 2 fourth round QBs Stanback and the current back-up. Trade up for Spencer. ....... so, quite a few decisions made ******** development in favor of bigger names or swapping one complimentary player for another and losing value in the process.

I am not arguing all these guy are stars or that what we gave up was any great shakes but those moves have been a burden and cost the team a bit.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information