This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by leroyisgod View Post
    Anyone else think that Brooking shouldn't get really any PT anymore? He's a shell of his former self and hurts us more than anything else.
    The problem is that Brady is really on the decline. When put in a position where he has to run, he really struggles. Notice the goal line play where Gore pretty much dragged him in the end zone.

One other thing that hasn't gotten much talk is that throw Tony made to Witten along the sideline on 4th and 6, or something like that.

Amazing throw.
    In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Originally posted by leroyisgod View Post
      Anyone else think that Brooking shouldn't get really any PT anymore? He's a shell of his former self and hurts us more than anything else.
      His leverage penalty against the Niners FG... I was like.. Brooking you fool, you know better than that... jeez.

Luckily the Niners kept the 3 points instead of burning more precious time off the clock. The 1st bad call by Harbaugh, I'd say.

Comment

• According to Mort, Romo was not only dealing with broken ribs but he also punctured a lung. Status uncertain for Monday.
        Cowboys Mock:
        1. Myles Jack | LB | UCLA
        2. Vernon Butler | DT | LA Tech
        3. Karl Joseph | SS | WVU

Comment

• Yeah, i just heard he has a punctured lung as well

Comment

• Brooking actually played pretty well in his snaps. Lee should obviously be playing more than the other two. But I have no problem with the current situation. I'd be happier if we had 4 ILBs, though. Just for the added depth.

I dont know who our inactives were officially, but I noticed Phillip Tanner was active and playing some ST. The fact that we had so many injuries, enabled us to keep Tanner active. ha.
            Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 09-19-2011, 06:16 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
            http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
            KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by yanksknicks View Post
              Comments like this drive me insane. Austin is a better WR than Dez, hands down, but the folks who fell in love with him at OKST still keep it going.

This discussion deminds me so much of the Alvin Harper comments when Irvin was around. How Alvin was this and that .... and he never did much. Hell folks were so in love with Alvin we cut Jimmy Smith (Hall of Famer likely).

End of the day production and health matter. Frankly, I am sick of people anointing a kid who can't manage to ever stay on the field or, for that matter, sustain effort all four quarters.

Dez is talented but that is about it so far.

I stopped reading after you compared the Austin/Dez situation to Michael Irvin & Alvin Harper. I'm not sure how old you are, but Dez's rookie season was better then anything Alvin Harper ever did in his entire career.

All MOTH said was Dez can easily fill his shoes as a #1 WR, which he can. Austin still gets hurt a bunch too if we want to nit pick. Dez is only in his 2nd season, he has a bunch of time to prove who he is, but nobody is annointing him to anything. Saying he's a great player who can make plays all over the field is a fact, and it was obvious after Training Camp last year.

Just look at my sig for the reference at the scouts who were watching our practices and how they felt about him quickly.

As far as overall team injuries, nothing to cry about. **** happens. Look at the Giants. Nicks might miss this game, and their defense is dropping like flies. Not for multiple weeks, but going on IR. We have just got to fight through it, no point in dwelling on it for too long. There are a bunch of teams far worse then us, and frankly as healthy as we have been over the years we are due for a ****** luck year with injuries.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
              I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                His leverage penalty against the Niners FG... I was like.. Brooking you fool, you know better than that... jeez.

Luckily the Niners kept the 3 points instead of burning more precious time off the clock. The 1st bad call by Harbaugh, I'd say.
                You know what I said as he was making that call? There is no "right or wrong" call there until the game is over. Whatever you pick, if you win it was right, if you lose, it was wrong. Yea they could have chewed up the clock more, and maybe got another TD, but their QB is Alex Smith. I'd say the odds of a turnover were very high as well, and how bad would that have looked?

It was a 2 possession game, forcing us to make 2 nice drives. That was the correct thing to do. What if they chewed up more clock but missed the next FG? You gotta take the points. If you give up 10 points in the 4th qt(as we are very much used to) you have far worse problems then accepting or declining a penalty. 10 pts is enough to win a game in the 4th qt, if you blow that you didn't deserve to win anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                  Something should also be said about Felix's toughness as well. He didnt do much after hurting the shoulder, but that takes some balls to play with a taped down separated shoulder. I thought he was done for the year, or a very long time. Honestly, I thought he shattered his wrist.

Sorry MOTH, I know the circumstances, but I just can't seem to put Felix Jones and toughness together. It's always something with him. And since you brought up Chris Johnson, he's probably smaller, but what injuries have you heard of him having, ever?

Look how many carries Felix gets every year and think about how much he's on the injury report. Yet CJ is a smaller guy to an extent, and I honestly don't even remember him being on the injury report since 2008. Even minor issues. That's toughness to me.

Also, CJ isn't breaking off big runs because he was a TC hold-out. Those guys always come back rusty until they get into their groove.

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                    Sorry MOTH, I know the circumstances, but I just can't seem to put Felix Jones and toughness together. It's always something with him. And since you brought up Chris Johnson, he's probably smaller, but what injuries have you heard of him having, ever?

Look how many carries Felix gets every year and think about how much he's on the injury report. Yet CJ is a smaller guy to an extent, and I honestly don't even remember him being on the injury report since 2008. Even minor issues. That's toughness to me.

Also, CJ isn't breaking off big runs because he was a TC hold-out. Those guys always come back rusty until they get into their groove.
                    I've watched both Titans games (Kenny Brittz fantazy teamz!)...it's true he could be rusty, but he's not getting help at all from that line. It didnt help that the Ravens were keying on him, but he's getting **** blocking, and if he ran behind our line, he wouldnt be doing anything, either.

Felix, Murray, and Choice all ran in that game...and none of them did anything. And they never had the opportunity to do so. A lot of people were clamoring for us to start Choice for the last couple of years, but he hasnt been able to escape the line with his carries, either. He had a whole 5 yards on 5 carries yesterday and a whopping 3 carries for 4 yards in week one. Averaged under 4 yards per carry last year. It doesnt matter who the running back is. We have major run blocking problems.

As for Felix's health...he has certainly proven to be injury prone. But I'd give any player props for playing with a dislocated shoulder, at any level. That def. shows toughness. It's really besides the point. I'm just mad that we have all this talent at RB, and it's being wasted. We have three uber talented RBs and we're the worst running team in football. For all this praise Costa has received, he's done nothing to fix our running problems.
                    Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 09-19-2011, 07:42 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• Jerry Rice was not the most talented.
                      Joe Montana was not the most talented.
                      Dick Butkus was not the most talented.
                      Ronnie Lott was .......
                      Dez might be GOAT in Madden 2012, but on the field he is not a good route runner, does not always hustle and seems to freelance his routes. Miles Austin is a much better player right now.

Can he? Sure. But a huge gaps exists between potential and production. I hope he reaches his potential. Really do.
                      Last edited by yanksknicks; 09-19-2011, 07:48 PM.

Comment

I stopped reading after you compared the Austin/Dez situation to Michael Irvin & Alvin Harper. I'm not sure how old you are, but Dez's rookie season was better then anything Alvin Harper ever did in his entire career.

All MOTH said was Dez can easily fill his shoes as a #1 WR, which he can. Austin still gets hurt a bunch too if we want to nit pick. Dez is only in his 2nd season, he has a bunch of time to prove who he is, but nobody is annointing him to anything. Saying he's a great player who can make plays all over the field is a fact, and it was obvious after Training Camp last year.

Just look at my sig for the reference at the scouts who were watching our practices and how they felt about him quickly.

As far as overall team injuries, nothing to cry about. **** happens. Look at the Giants. Nicks might miss this game, and their defense is dropping like flies. Not for multiple weeks, but going on IR. We have just got to fight through it, no point in dwelling on it for too long. There are a bunch of teams far worse then us, and frankly as healthy as we have been over the years we are due for a ****** luck year with injuries.
                        If you are around long enough to remember, the Alvin, Michael, Jimmy Smith analogy is on point.

Lots of "Scouts" and "Fans" who became enamored by Alvin's talent. That is except Troy Aikman b/c Aikman nver trusted Alvin. Why? Alvin was not a good route runner. Alvin was always nicked up. Michael was the complete opposite.

And with respect to comparing Dez's first year to Alvin's -- hey now. Emmitt carried the ball 400 times. Dez got the touches b/c we have a bad running game.

But yes, people have been rushing to put the holy oil on Dez since he was drafted. Including last week after 3 plays. And was occurs? He disappears the rest of the game.

I have seen Austin destroy every corner he has faced and yet folks still manage to ignore him. Name me one CB who has been able to blanket Austin??? And as Deion rightly said -- you can't cover Austin in the middle of the field. His routes are too good. His strength too good.

Austin is not the best sideline guy (which Dez is great at) b/c Austin is not a graceful leaper. His hands are OK so catching the ball while jumping is just not his strength. But you know what??? Jerry Rice was not a great WR outside the hash marks either. Never played well off his feet. But get him the ball in space and his route running and feet where magic. That is Austin in a nut shell.

Another example -- Dez is Lynn Swan. Austin is John Stallworth. Look up the stats.
                        Last edited by yanksknicks; 09-19-2011, 07:48 PM.

Comment

• So injuries aside...the Free/Smith vs Orakpo/Kerrigan matchups should be fun to watch. Sad to see Bowen out there. :(
                          Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 09-19-2011, 07:53 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by yanksknicks View Post
                            If you are around long enough to remember, the Alvin, Michael, Jimmy Smith analogy is on point.

Lots of "Scouts" and "Fans" who became enamored by Alvin's talent. That is except Troy Aikman b/c Aikman nver trusted Alvin. Why? Alvin was not a good route runner. Alvin was always nicked up. Michael was the complete opposite.

And with respect to comparing Dez's first year to Alvin's -- hey now. Emmitt carried the ball 400 times. Dez got the touches b/c we have a bad running game.

But yes, people have been rushing to put the holy oil on Dez since he was drafted. Including last week after 3 plays. And was occurs? He disappears the rest of the game.

I have seen Austin destroy every corner he has faced and yet folks still manage to ignore him. Name me one CB who has been able to blanket Austin??? And as Deion rightly said -- you can't cover Austin in the middle of the field. His routes are too good. His strength too good.

Austin is the best sideline guy (which Dez is great at) b/c Austin is not a graceful leaper. His hands are OK. But you know what??? Jerry Rice was not a great WR outside the hash marks either. Never played well off his feet. But get him the ball in space and his route running and feet where magic. That is Austin in a nut shell.
                            You realize Dez was injured after those three plays on a punt return right? He was dominating that game, prior to. You could tell he wasnt right, and in the 4th quarter, he shouldnt have even been playing. He was limping around. They couldnt cover the guy when he was healthy, it more than likely would have continued, against one of the best corner duos in the league. The fact that Romo likes to key in on Dez, when he knows he has a talent like Austin on the other side, really says a lot about what Tony thinks of Bryant. The guy is going to be just fine. He's a matchup nightmare, even when he's not being targeted or catching passes, he's going to be effecting what the defense does. The guy is a number one receiver right now, on many a team across the league.
                            Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 09-19-2011, 07:52 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

Simply put, a bad pick from Day 1. Jamaal Charles was as good, in the third round. Ray Rice even better. Mendenhall - cough cough. Johnson who knew but that was a great RB class and we reached for a talented back up who had never been the man.

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                                You realize Dez was injured after those three plays on a punt return right? He was dominating that game, prior to. You could tell he wasnt right and in the 4th quarter, he shouldnt have even been playing. He was limping around. They couldnt cover the guy when he was healthy, it more than likely would have continued, against arguably the best corner duo in the league. The fact that Romo likes to key in on Dez, when he knows he has a talent like Austin on the other side, really says a lot about what Tony thinks of Bryant. The guy is going to be just fine. He's a matchup nightmare, even when he's not being targeted or catching passes, he's going to be effecting what the defense does.
                                You are missing the point. Great WR need to run routes. Period. If Tony wants to play sand lot football -- him and Dez are the bomb. But you then get results like the Revis play.

Count me as one unimpressed with talent that does not refine its craft and is not football tough. Dez is a great talent. He is not a great football player. Let us hope he gets there.
                                Last edited by yanksknicks; 09-19-2011, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information