Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indy's offense is a thing of beauty. Its so simple, contrary to popular belief, and its just so perfectly executed. Every single play, its Harrison on the right, Wayne on the left, Stokely in the slot, and Addai in the backfield. Theres no motions, theres no movement of players for favorable matchups etc, they don't overload one side of the field, no bunches formations, nothing. Its the same set every play, they just hike that ball and execute. And no one can stop it. Practice makes perfect, and they perfected their playbook.

We all know how to beat the Colts. Everyone does. But theyre undefeated, because stopping/containing Peyton in the regular season has become near impossible. Forget everything you hear, you can't "confuse" Peyton. Thats simply not true. If his 4th read is open, he'll hit him. The key to beating Peyton is "confusing" his protection, and getting in his face. Thats how you make Peyton crumble.

To beat him, you need great confusing pressure (which is why he has a harder time with the 3-4), and a solid secondary. You can't play zone against him, he'll hit that window everytime. You gotta have the talent in the secondary to man up, or the pressure in the front 7 to get him before he can let it go. Usually you need both. Theres only one team that can play zone on him, and thats the Patriots because their team is so disciplined in their zone assignments, theres hardly a missed assignment. Every other team in the league needs to bring the heat and pray the man assignments hold their ground.

So the key to this game is coming up with clever pass rushing techniques that will confuse Peyton and his protection schemes. Peyton is responsible for aligning the protection, if you can confuse him and bring pressure where he didn't see it coming, you can get to him. So its gonna take a clever mind to construct the necessary blitz packages that will break down his protection. Delayed blitzes, overload blitzes, stunt blitzes, zone blitzes, you gotta throw the kitchen sink at the guy. And the play calling has to be timed perfectly too, you can't get predictable with it.

Dallas has the talent in the secondary to play man coverage. The key is getting the necessary pressure in the front 7 to make Peyton throw it before he wants to. That will determine the outcome of this game. The defensive strategy of Dallas has been somewhat vanilla so far, and that won't cut it with Peyton. Also the pass rush simply has been disappointing as well, the big name guys are simply not winning their individual matchups often enough. So to sum it up, this game comes down to the defensive strategy and pressure. Ware and Carp need huge games. And there cannot be any missed assignments in the secondary.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense
      Indy's offense is a thing of beauty. Its so simple, contrary to popular belief, and its just so perfectly executed. Every single play, its Harrison on the right, Wayne on the left, Stokely in the slot, and Addai in the backfield. Theres no motions, theres no movement of players for favorable matchups etc, they don't overload one side of the field, no bunches formations, nothing. Its the same set every play, they just hike that ball and execute. And no one can stop it. Practice makes perfect, and they perfected their playbook.

We all know how to beat the Colts. Everyone does. But theyre undefeated, because stopping/containing Peyton in the regular season has become near impossible. Forget everything you hear, you can't "confuse" Peyton. Thats simply not true. If his 4th read is open, he'll hit him. The key to beating Peyton is "confusing" his protection, and getting in his face. Thats how you make Peyton crumble.

To beat him, you need great confusing pressure (which is why he has a harder time with the 3-4), and a solid secondary. You can't play zone against him, he'll hit that window everytime. You gotta have the talent in the secondary to man up, or the pressure in the front 7 to get him before he can let it go. Usually you need both. Theres only one team that can play zone on him, and thats the Patriots because their team is so disciplined in their zone assignments, theres hardly a missed assignment. Every other team in the league needs to bring the heat and pray the man assignments hold their ground.

So the key to this game is coming up with clever pass rushing techniques that will confuse Peyton and his protection schemes. Peyton is responsible for aligning the protection, if you can confuse him and bring pressure where he didn't see it coming, you can get to him. So its gonna take a clever mind to construct the necessary blitz packages that will break down his protection. Delayed blitzes, overload blitzes, stunt blitzes, zone blitzes, you gotta throw the kitchen sink at the guy. And the play calling has to be timed perfectly too, you can't get predictable with it.

Dallas has the talent in the secondary to play man coverage. The key is getting the necessary pressure in the front 7 to make Peyton throw it before he wants to. That will determine the outcome of this game. The defensive strategy of Dallas has been somewhat vanilla so far, and that won't cut it with Peyton. Also the pass rush simply has been disappointing as well, the big name guys are simply not winning their individual matchups often enough. So to sum it up, this game comes down to the defensive strategy and pressure. Ware and Carp need huge games. And there cannot be any missed assignments in the secondary.
      Agreed, although it's more like "Clark in the slot". He's their slot WR right now, over Stokley.

by BoneKrusher
      <DG> how metal unseen
      <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

• It will be interesting to see if BP uses that approach however. From past experience, and watching his strategies against high powered offenses such as the 49ers back in the day with my beloved Giants, I noticed that his usual strategy against high octane offenses has been an array of different style zones and zone blitzes. He rarely blitzes heavily, he relies on very disciplined zone assignments and lots of 2 deep safety plays to contain the offense.

And to keep them off the field, he increases the workload of the runningback. Thats what he's historically done, but let's see if he switches it up this sunday. It will be an interesting thing to watch as a fan of Xs and Os.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Unseen
          Originally posted by bigbluedefense
          Indy's offense is a thing of beauty. Its so simple, contrary to popular belief, and its just so perfectly executed. Every single play, its Harrison on the right, Wayne on the left, Stokely in the slot, and Addai in the backfield. Theres no motions, theres no movement of players for favorable matchups etc, they don't overload one side of the field, no bunches formations, nothing. Its the same set every play, they just hike that ball and execute. And no one can stop it. Practice makes perfect, and they perfected their playbook.

Agreed, although it's more like "Clark in the slot". He's their slot WR right now, over Stokley.
          I stand corrected

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense
            It will be interesting to see if BP uses that approach however. From past experience, and watching his strategies against high powered offenses such as the 49ers back in the day with my beloved Giants, I noticed that his usual strategy against high octane offenses has been an array of different style zones and zone blitzes. He rarely blitzes heavily, he relies on very disciplined zone assignments and lots of 2 deep safety plays to contain the offense.

And to keep them off the field, he increases the workload of the runningback. Thats what he's historically done, but let's see if he switches it up this sunday. It will be an interesting thing to watch as a fan of Xs and Os.
            I should note though that this was against a high powered WCO, which is very different from the vertical style of the Colts. Off the top of my head, I can't recall his strategies against high power vertical offenses, I would have to go back and look at some old tape. So yeah...maybe he imployed that style strategy against the 49ers because blitzing heavily makes no sense against the quick release 3 step drop style of the WCO. So who knows what he'll do, it will be interesting to watch.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Unseen
              Originally posted by bigbluedefense

Wasn't that because Stokley was hurt? I think he's supposed to be healthy for this game.

Desings by D-Unit

Comment

• Their TEs don't scare me that much. As long as we keep them from beating us deep. I don't care if the TEs catch a 10 yard pass every once in a while as long as they don't score quick TDs against us. I have faith in the talent of our defense over an extended number of plays, the only thing that scares me is them killing themselves.

Desings by D-Unit

Comment

• Originally posted by Jdallas
                  Their TEs don't scare me that much. As long as we keep them from beating us deep. I don't care if the TEs catch a 10 yard pass every once in a while as long as they don't score quick TDs against us. I have faith in the talent of our defense over an extended number of plays, the only thing that scares me is them killing themselves.
                  AKA Not giving up the big play.

Comment

• Anyone else notice that we didn't really play a nickle defense against the Cardinals. We just removed a OLB and added Glenn. I have a feeling we will do alot of that against the colts. This should make ellis's loss a little easier to deal with.

Comment

• Not to go after someone or single him out, but sometimes I wonder if Burns ever knows what he's talking about. Color me :?

Our team, and our secondary particularly, is perfectly constructed to go against a team built like the Colts are built. Newman is a perfect matchup for Harrison, Henry is a perfect matchup for Wayne, and Glenn can man up on both Stokely and Clark when needed. 3-4 teams have given Manning plenty of trouble recently, and that scheme seems to have much more of an ability to confuse him in both protection and coverage.

And just to comment on Wayne, sometimes I wonder if people actually, you know, watch the games. He is a very good reciever that mainly relies on his route running and chemistry with Peyton to beat DBs. He has average speed, and is not particularly quick or agile either. His best asset is his hands, which rank among the best in the league. He's also very smart and is capable of making route adjustments on the fly. This is the perfect kind of WR for Henry to cover. Get up on him, jam him at the line, be physical and smart and you have a chance to shut him down. Henry is perfect for the job.

To me, this game is going to be the most enjoyable of the season to watch. I think we can attack this team in so many ways and still be successful. I think the biggest factor coming in will be our gameplan. The Colts have been hit plenty with the "run the ball, control the clock and keep Manning off the field" strategy, but the problem with that is that it produces close games, where all that needs to happen is for Peyton to put together one successful drive late and suddenly you're behind.

I think we play a lot of 2 deep coverage, make Peyton dink and dunk us and committ to stopping the run. Force them to drive the length of the field without making a mistake, and then be extremely aggressive on offense. I think if we do end up losing, then you are going to be hearing a lot of bitching and moaning next week about the FS position - again.

But all along this year, I've been looking forward to this game with confidence. I just feel like we match up with these guys very well, and that we can take advantage of them at least as much as they can take advantage of us. With all these close games they have been in, I just have a feeling that we have a strong chance to take this one. I'm relying on Parcells to come up with a great gameplan, and then we'll see where things go from there.
                      Originally posted by 21ST
                      He was protecting his self
                      Originally posted by tjsunstein
                      From what? His leg?
                      Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
                      That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
                      "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
                        I'm relying on Parcells to come up with a great gameplan, and then we'll see where things go from there.
                        What I'm praying is that Parcells has been waiting for this week to really let the dogs out blitzing. Peyton can be had, look at what Pittsburgh did to him in the AFC championship. If we can confuse his line badly enough and get in his face and at least make him pay for his throws, we stand a chance.

Comment

• I think we should pipe in some artificial crowd noise. And pass out blow-horns at the gates.
                          Too bad Peyton and his sign language voodoo-telekinesis with the rest of his offense would just deflect such feeble attempts to disrupt their harmony. :x

Comment

• Originally posted by duckseason
                            I think we should pipe in some artificial crowd noise. And pass out blow-horns at the gates.
                            Too bad Peyton and his sign language voodoo-telekinesis with the rest of his offense would just deflect such feeble attempts to disrupt their harmony. :x

Comment

• Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
                              Not to go after someone or single him out, but sometimes I wonder if Burns ever knows what he's talking about. Color me :?

Our team, and our secondary particularly, is perfectly constructed to go against a team built like the Colts are built. Newman is a perfect matchup for Harrison, Henry is a perfect matchup for Wayne, and Glenn can man up on both Stokely and Clark when needed. 3-4 teams have given Manning plenty of trouble recently, and that scheme seems to have much more of an ability to confuse him in both protection and coverage.

And just to comment on Wayne, sometimes I wonder if people actually, you know, watch the games. He is a very good reciever that mainly relies on his route running and chemistry with Peyton to beat DBs. He has average speed, and is not particularly quick or agile either. His best asset is his hands, which rank among the best in the league. He's also very smart and is capable of making route adjustments on the fly. This is the perfect kind of WR for Henry to cover. Get up on him, jam him at the line, be physical and smart and you have a chance to shut him down. Henry is perfect for the job.

To me, this game is going to be the most enjoyable of the season to watch. I think we can attack this team in so many ways and still be successful. I think the biggest factor coming in will be our gameplan. The Colts have been hit plenty with the "run the ball, control the clock and keep Manning off the field" strategy, but the problem with that is that it produces close games, where all that needs to happen is for Peyton to put together one successful drive late and suddenly you're behind.

I think we play a lot of 2 deep coverage, make Peyton dink and dunk us and committ to stopping the run. Force them to drive the length of the field without making a mistake, and then be extremely aggressive on offense. I think if we do end up losing, then you are going to be hearing a lot of bitching and moaning next week about the FS position - again.

But all along this year, I've been looking forward to this game with confidence. I just feel like we match up with these guys very well, and that we can take advantage of them at least as much as they can take advantage of us. With all these close games they have been in, I just have a feeling that we have a strong chance to take this one. I'm relying on Parcells to come up with a great gameplan, and then we'll see where things go from there.

Probably the dumbest post ive ever seen.... way too many homers on this board. and yeah, i do know what im talking about, i called for romo weeks before all of you, and you guys laughed... now you all wanna suck him off. The idiotic thing about your post is how you think our secondary matches up well with the colts. NO SECONDARY in the league matches up well with the colts. T-new is fine, but if you think Henry is ideal for coverage on wayne, you must be nuts. The guy cant cover brandon lloyd. He plays far too aggressive, and if you go back to just this last weekend, the only big passes matt leinart had were to henry's man. He cant stay with wayne by any means, even if wayne doesnt have blazing speed, hes still got moves that henry doesnt have the agility to keep up with. So go ahead and single me out, but dont say i didnt call it when henry gets burned this game and puts us in a real tough spot. All its going to take is one double move from wayne and then you will have either keith davis or pat watkins as a safety net, something i am not looking forward to.

and on a side note, why not call out your boyfriend D-unit who summarized all the points i made? he highlighted just about everything i touched on... maybe you were too worried on figuring out a new argument to prove ware is better than merriman or julius is better than tiki? must be hard to come up with answers which dont exist....

Comment

• Originally posted by Burns336
                                Probably the dumbest post ive ever seen.... way too many homers on this board.
                                I don't think I've ever seen a "dumb post" from DM Dubble. In fact, I think it's obvious to most of us that he is among the most knowledgeable members of this forum. You act like he didn't have sound reasoning for his pre-game predictions for this game. He's not like Balaskonis....."OMG!! Henry will own Wayne on Sunday!! The Colts won't even score on us because Terence Newman will intercept every pass attempt from Manning!! OMG!! I need to go get my bottle of baby oil and T-New highlight tapes before I explode!! OMG!!" Anyway.....I guess I'd be kinda ticked too if it appeared to me that somebody was attacking my knowledge of my team. :|
                                You guys should make some kinda bet. Maybe an over under on Wayne's receptions or something.
                                He's averaging 5.33 per game.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information