Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I say Zimmer out, and TO out. We sign Ken Hamlin and Derrick Dockery in Free Agency. Trade up for Jarrett (1st and JJ for a higher 1st). Craig Davis in the 2nd. Crosby in the 3rd.

BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboysforever
      Excellent article by Dave Moore in the DMN on what is wrong with the Cowboys D from an XOXO perspective.

He has player quotes which goes to some the points I am making about both D coaching and speed level in the middle of the field.
      Agreed...as he points out, the coaches have to make more adjustments to the defensive scheme so that opponents don't know exactly what's going to happen on every play.

Comment

• Originally posted by JJJ888
        Originally posted by cowboysforever
        Originally posted by Modano
        This board was the best place to talk about the Cowboys since a couple of weeks ago.. Now every pages there are 5-6 post of cowboysforever" saying eveytime the same borig things..
        It's not Braide James that sucks, right now is this board that sucks...
        Yeah, I guess Terence Newman was referring to Fergie getting abused? Maybe Ware?

Who the F do you think he was talking about??

Talking sense here makes no sense. You guys love the players and blame everything on the coaches.
        If other teams pick you apart one week (let's just say for example against the Saints) and you come out and run pretty much the same scheme the next week and the same things happen (zone getting picked apart 2 weeks in a row) then there is something wrong with the coaches, not the players. The coaches need to do something to correct that.

And I'm tired of seeing Bill Parcells give up and not try to get the team to bond together and pick up the intensity.

We all know what our players' weaknesses are: Roy struggles in coverage, Henry's confidence is low, Watkins is inexperienced and has a tendency to give up the deep ball...that's just in the secondary. If I know that, the coaches should too, and do something to change that. The players are going to have trouble changing that week to week.
        Fact is you, me and everybody else thought this D was lots better than we thought.

My read is the players and coaching staff are very dissapointed. No one likes to be humiliated in public.

With that said, the only thing I am 100% sure of is that QB pressure solves 95% of the problems we are seeing.

So, we need to solve that and to do that you need to go FA and Draft for an edge rusher. You also need to focus all offseason DL development on pass rushing skills.

Jimmy Johnson frequently says "passing game scores points and running games controls clock." By this, I interprest a pass rush and pass coverage is fundamentally more important than stopping the run if you want to be in most the games you play.

If we had SD's pass rush we could get away with almost all of weaknesses in the coverage game. Including Bradie and Roy so .....

But if rushing the passer was so easy -- everyone could do it.

Comment

Excellent article by Dave Moore in the DMN on what is wrong with the Cowboys D from an XOXO perspective.

He has player quotes which goes to some the points I am making about both D coaching and speed level in the middle of the field.
          Agreed...as he points out, the coaches have to make more adjustments to the defensive scheme so that opponents don't know exactly what's going to happen on every play.
          But the player comments also point out the fact they leave way too much space in the middle of the field, don't move players through the zone coverage well when crossing the field, tend to bite of play fakes and don't have the foot speed to make up for it.

This is the players faults as much as coaching.

Evidence the Furrey 1st Down in the first Quarter on Third Down when Bradie James had under neath coverage and on a cross pattern he failed to pickup Furrey coming from the slot into the middle of the field.

In fact Bradie went in the oppositte direction towards the flat where the ILB or Corner had responsibility. Funny waching how badly out of place he was -- I thought he broke his ankles once he saw the ball going to Furrey.

Same problem happened on the Kitna run. Bradie failed to be where he needed to be in the Zone and did not have the foot speed to cut off the angle for Kitna.

Comment

Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
            This is the sort of day that makes it hard to be a fan. I have never felt more helpless or lost than I have over the last 4 weeks, watching a previously dominant defense turn into a turnstile. Absolutely, unbelievably, and totally heart-rending.

There's not much to take heart in, and it's easy to point the finger and say "this must go, that must go, he sucks, they need to do this"...but the plain fact here is that we aren't qualified to make that kind of declaration, because we don't know enough of the specifics. All we can really say for sure is that something has to change, or we will never stand a chance to compete. That is the truth, as BP would say.

The problem I have with jack-asses coming on here and starting to put people's heads on the chopping block is that they don't hold any accountablility for their ideas.

Say we did get rid of all those people, and then their replacements sucked, and they went elsewhere and started playing at a Pro Bowl level somewhere else, the person who was advocating such a measure would not be here on the board saying "I'm an idiot, don't ever listen to me again, I was so off on the last one that I shouldn't ever be able to give commentary on this type of thing again". No, they would just move on to the next knee-jerk reaction and stupid rush-to-judgement commentary.

Bradie, Roy, Julius, Spears, Canty, Ayodele, Rivera, Kosier, and others all played at a very high level at some point or another during this season. The thing that needs to be determined is what were the prevailing factors in the times when they performed well, and what were they in the times when they performed badly. Next, it needs to be determined if there is a course of action that can be take to assure that they will be put in a favorable enough position to where they can perform at that high of a level on a consistent basis. Only then can it be determined whether or not one or all of them should be gotten rid of.

I know the easy route here is to call for a house-cleaning, to blow the whole thing up and start over, or to axe the people that played the most prominent role in us fallinga apart like this, but that is not the answer. Remember my analogy from the other day, about the 2004 Seattle Seahawks. This is exactly how they looked that year. Unimpressive, uninspired, and ultimately lacking what was needed to compete at a high level. The next year, they come out like gang-busters and dominate the conference. Please, try to be reasonable. And above all, don't p!ss people off by spewing all over the board.
            Seattle played over its head in 2005 and this season is proof enuff. So did Pitt. Also, let us also not forget the miracle wins Seattle had in 2005 which gave them home field. They beat the Giants and Dallas on pure luck and good kicker.
            ALSO DMW, sometimes you gotta trade a player somewhere in spite of their promise for lots of reasons, scheme, position back log, bad chemistry with coaches.......

Need I say Jimmy Smith? Antonio Bryant? We have Julius and Burnett on our roster. Both are talented and could be stars but elsewhere with new coaches.

Burnett is underutilized in the 3-4 and Julius needs to run behind a power line.

Put Burnett in New York GMen and Julius in Jacksonville and I gaurantee near pro bowl seasons.

Put Burnett in New England and Julius in Denver and they fail.
            I don't think you can afford to go with just Marion in the backfield. He may have been good at times this season, but that was mainly when defenses were worn down or not expecting run. That being said, he's a great goalline and change of pace back. Julius has shown great potential this season. He needs to finish runs and develop his vision a little bit. Another factor, in my mind, is that he may be afraid to make mistakes with Bill as a coach...so he doesn't feel like he has the freedom to improvise.

And if you want to talk about power offensive lines, why not pick up a mauler like Blalock in the draft?

Comment

Originally posted by JJJ888
              This board was the best place to talk about the Cowboys since a couple of weeks ago.. Now every pages there are 5-6 post of cowboysforever" saying eveytime the same borig things..
              Yeah, I guess Terence Newman was referring to Fergie getting abused? Maybe Ware?

Talking sense here makes no sense. You guys love the players and blame everything on the coaches.
              If other teams pick you apart one week (let's just say for example against the Saints) and you come out and run pretty much the same scheme the next week and the same things happen (zone getting picked apart 2 weeks in a row) then there is something wrong with the coaches, not the players. The coaches need to do something to correct that.

And I'm tired of seeing Bill Parcells give up and not try to get the team to bond together and pick up the intensity.

We all know what our players' weaknesses are: Roy struggles in coverage, Henry's confidence is low, Watkins is inexperienced and has a tendency to give up the deep ball...that's just in the secondary. If I know that, the coaches should too, and do something to change that. The players are going to have trouble changing that week to week.
              Fact is you, me and everybody else thought this D was lots better than we thought.

My read is the players and coaching staff are very dissapointed. No one likes to be humiliated in public.

With that said, the only thing I am 100% sure of is that QB pressure solves 95% of the problems we are seeing.

So, we need to solve that and to do that you need to go FA and Draft for an edge rusher. You also need to focus all offseason DL development on pass rushing skills.

Jimmy Johnson frequently says "passing game scores points and running games controls clock." By this, I interprest a pass rush and pass coverage is fundamentally more important than stopping the run if you want to be in most the games you play.

If we had SD's pass rush we could get away with almost all of weaknesses in the coverage game. Including Bradie and Roy so .....

I think that we already have that other outside rusher...his name is Greg Ellis. Let us all pray that he can come back and be the same guy who we really need.

Comment

• Originally posted by Staubach12
                I say Zimmer out, and TO out. We sign Ken Hamlin and Derrick Dockery in Free Agency. Trade up for Jarrett (1st and JJ for a higher 1st). Craig Davis in the 2nd. Crosby in the 3rd.
                In my heart, I truly believe Watkins or Henry can play with skill the FS position. Leave Hamlin for elsewhere and don't spend on medicore talent.

Dockery? We need a RG not a LG. Aint Dockery a LG?

Comment

I think that we already have that other outside rusher...his name is Greg Ellis. Let us all pray that he can come back and be the same guy who we really need.
                  Even with Greg our pass rush was mediocre. Have we forgotten already?

Not only that, Greg can only be expceted play effectively 15-20 snaps next year. He has a serious injury to his wheels.

Comment

But the player comments also point out the fact they leave way too much space in the middle of the field, don't move players through the zone coverage well when crossing the field, tend to bite of play fakes and don't have the foot speed to make up for it.

This is the players faults as much as coaching.

Evidence the Furrey 1st Down in the first Quarter on Third Down when Bradie James had under neath coverage and on a cross pattern he failed to pickup Furrey coming from the slot into the middle of the field.

In fact Bradie went in the oppositte direction towards the flat where the ILB or Corner had responsibility. Funny waching how badly out of place he was -- I thought he broke his ankles once he saw the ball going to Furrey.

Same problem happened on the Kitna run. Bradie failed to be where he needed to be in the Zone and did not have the foot speed to cut off the angle for Kitna.
                    I can't comment on those because I didn't see the game...but Bradie's not our best coverage player either...that's why you still need Burnett.

Comment

Originally posted by Staubach12
                      I say Zimmer out, and TO out. We sign Ken Hamlin and Derrick Dockery in Free Agency. Trade up for Jarrett (1st and JJ for a higher 1st). Craig Davis in the 2nd. Crosby in the 3rd.
                      In my heart, I truly believe Watkins or Henry can play with skill the FS position. Leave Hamlin for elsewhere and don't spend on medicore talent.

Dockery is a LG but I think he can make the transition. It wouldn't be a huge problem. You need to give it up, Henry will never, never be a FS. OK? It won't happen. He's our #2 CB, and that's it. He's not a FS. As far as Hamlin, he's good, and he's a very good compliment to Roy. We would have one of the best safety tandems in the league.

BoneKrusher

Comment

• Bradie LB

I think we have to many LB and we are not going to be drafting any LB in the draft. We could go for Thomas from Baltimore and take OL in round 1. What about Hurd and Austin...........It usually takes 2-3 years for WR to come around. I think we need OL help...but I would go after round 1. I did suggest earlier about Burnett....being traded...........about 2 months ago. I would keep him...............Round 1 who would u want to target..give a reason and why.........

Comment

• Re: Round 1

Originally posted by chrlopez1
                          I am not a big poster, but read most of them.

1st thing...... I think we are either going to pay very good against Seattle and win or get our A....wuped..................

Here are 8 players who will might have a shot at.....Who would be best and who might not be avaible.. Opinions..please

Reggie Nielson....S ...I think Davis is out.....
                          Landry......S....People wanted him last year if he would have come back
                          Lynch..RB... a reach...but maybe j.jones traded for a 3....JJ...hasn't shown much....
                          Jarrett...WR...wide card..I like him, but would we go WR in round 1...if they release TO..it is possible
                          Griffith....S Could he tamdem with Williams?
                          Tyle...DT....Solid..but not spectular position....???
                          Brown or Blalock.............OL help.....

Anybody now our Salary Cap forcast for next year....any site were all players salaries are shown and cap relief if we cut
                          Depending on the Juniors, almost all of those guys will be round late 1 to 2. So, practical list.
                          Sometimes I don't know about you cowboysforever...you honestly think those guys are late first-second rounders :shock:

Nelson 14-30
                          Landry top 15
                          Lynch top 15
                          Jarrett top 20
                          Griffith 20-32
                          Tyler 22-40
                          Brown 20-40
                          Blalock 15-32

We have no shot at Landry or Lynch. We are doubtful to have a chance at Nelson. Jarrett would be very lucky to fall to us...would have to run bad.

Comment

• Re: Bradie LB

I think we have to many LB and we are not going to be drafting any LB in the draft. We could go for Thomas from Baltimore and take OL in round 1. What about Hurd and Austin...........It usually takes 2-3 years for WR to come around. I think we need OL help...but I would go after round 1. I did suggest earlier about Burnett....being traded...........about 2 months ago. I would keep him...............Round 1 who would u want to target..give a reason and why.........
                            I think you have to target Blalock...a mauler as a guard who can either step in immediately or when Rivera retires.

I've put some serious thought recently about drafting a WR. Here's what I think:

-I think that either Hurd or Austin will become a reliable receiver. Maybe not #1 or #2 but definitely a #3.

-I don't think Crayton will be anything more than a 3.

-I don't want to stunt Austin or Hurd's growth by drafting another receiver and relegating them to 4 and 5 on the depth chart.

-I don't know what to think about TO. I think a couple of playoff wins and he'll be fine. But on the other hand, if we don't win a couple of games, we could see a collossal TO collapse. Anyone know what the cap hit would be if we released him?

-Terry Glenn can be a #1 receiver, but for how long?

-On the other hand, if Jarrett or Ginn were miraculously available, I would certainly be willing to draft either of them (although that is extremely unlikely with the Pats drafting right ahead of us).

-If we release TO, what about a veteran to step in and be a #2 while we see how Hurd and Austin develop?

Comment

• Re: Bradie LB

I think you have to target Blalock...a mauler as a guard who can either step in immediately or when Rivera retires.

I've put some serious thought recently about drafting a WR. Here's what I think:

-I think that either Hurd or Austin will become a reliable receiver. Maybe not #1 or #2 but definitely a #3.

-I don't think Crayton will be anything more than a 3.

-I don't want to stunt Austin or Hurd's growth by drafting another receiver and relegating them to 4 and 5 on the depth chart.

-I don't know what to think about TO. I think a couple of playoff wins and he'll be fine. But on the other hand, if we don't win a couple of games, we could see a collossal TO collapse. Anyone know what the cap hit would be if we released him?

-Terry Glenn can be a #1 receiver, but for how long?

-On the other hand, if Jarrett or Ginn were miraculously available, I would certainly be willing to draft either of them (although that is extremely unlikely with the Pats drafting right ahead of us).

-If we release TO, what about a veteran to step in and be a #2 while we see how Hurd and Austin develop?
                              FA WR corps is bare this year. There isn't one guy out there I like...even as a number 2 guy.

I agree with you it has to be a WR with #1 potential...aka Ginn Jarrett Rice.

The more I think about it the more I think we could see Crayton moved. He is a RFA this year...I wonder if anyone would bite.

My random note for the day. Darren Sharper apparently isn't sure if he will be in MN next year.

I don't know how many of you were around...but he was my main target for FS and he has played great....and is a very good ball hawk. If for some reason he is cut (signed through 2008) he is our solution to the problem. Lets remember he signed right away with MN because that is where he wanted to go...we never even got a shot at him...this time I have a feeling his options are more open. He could be great for Watkins to develop and contribute to our team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Staubach12
                                Originally posted by Staubach12

Dockery is a LG but I think he can make the transition. It wouldn't be a huge problem. You need to give it up, Henry will never, never be a FS. OK? It won't happen. He's our #2 CB, and that's it. He's not a FS. As far as Hamlin, he's good, and he's a very good compliment to Roy. We would have one of the best safety tandems in the league.
                                If I had to spend money on Hamlin or keep Watkins and solve other problems --- I would solve other problems. JMHO.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information