This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post

...and what's so knee jerk about calling Garrett out on his obvious faults? I guess you don't like anyone talking bad about your team, even if it's the truth. Yeah, he does some good things. But what? Are you saying that no one else qualified can do good things with this team? Let's look at the big picture here... There are a lot of coaches out there that could probably do a better job than Garrett is doing. Garrett never earned being the highest paid OC when Jerry gave him the job. Garrett never earned being our HC. Let's be real... Garrett could've gone winless as interim HC and he would still be our HC today. He got the job because of his family's close relationship with the Jones'. He'll probably have the job for a very long time too. I hope he gets better because, "We go as Garrett goes".
    We've lambasted Garrett on his playcalling pretty extensively around here. To say "Oh you don't like to talk bad about the team" is pretty ridiculous. I'm saying it's ok to be critical, but within reason. We're not even halfway into the season, and you're already calling for a new head coach. He got the job...yes, but to say he wasn't a qualified HC candidate is ridiculous. He was heavily sought and got offered numerous positions (Atlanta and Baltimore come to mind). I'm just saying that fans are so quick to call for a head coaching change. There's going to be growing pains, I remember reading a message board how Saints fans weren't happy with Payton after a couple years of him being there(He's too cute offensively, can't make adjustments on the fly,etc). Harbaugh got TONS(I live in the area) of flack after going 9-7 after a 12-4 record the year before..., and then came back to take his team to 11-5.

Again, Garrett has his issues...PLENTY of them, I completely agree with you. My point is that we as fans are enamored with shiny objects..."Rob Ryan has turned this D around...Let's promote HIM to HC".... Wade had a top 5 defense 2 years ago, and it was a sieve last year. Things change from year to year...The offense has been relatively good to great since Garrett came to Dallas. My point is let him at least go through an entire season or two before calling for his head. He should probably hire a OC to help him, but he's assembled a pretty damn good coaching staff(People forget he hired Rob Ryan....) Let's see if he learns as he goes and gets better.

You're right...the boys go as he goes...I'm just willing to give him a few years before calling for his head.
    Last edited by FreshBoy!; 10-18-2011, 05:58 PM.

Comment

• IRVING, Texas -- The Cowboys have added guard Daniel Loper to the 53-man roster to replace rookie wide receiver Dwayne Harris.

Loper, a Texas Tech-ex, was the second player the Cowboys signed after a Tuesday workout at Valley Ranch, joining Montrae Holland. The Cowboys have 10 offensive linemen on the 53-man roster and five wide receivers.

Loper, 6-6, 320 pounds, has started nine of 58 games over six seasons with Tennessee, Detroit and Oakland. He was a fifth-round pick of the Titans in 2005.

Harris is eligible to return to the practice squad if he clears waivers but the team already has two wide receivers on the taxi squad Teddy Williams, Andre Holmes.

*thumbs up*

Comment

• Im probably older than alot of you guys but there once was a guy who never won more than 5 games as a head coach in his first 5 years. He was then given an UNHEARD of 10 year contract and he took us to 5 Superbowls. Im not saying Jason is another Tom Landry, just saying lets give him some time.

Wasnt that long ago that some members on this board were praising the Miami Dolphins for raiding our staff and what a genius Sporano is. Not looking so good now...

I like emotional coaches also, but I'd take a Landry, Shula, Walsh, ect...Many ways to coach, everybody wants to win. Who knows, maybe Jason will bring in another OC? I know this, last years team would have lost that game Sunday 31-10 or so...

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Comment

• Originally posted by pocketaces View Post
          Im probably older than alot of you guys but there once was a guy who never won more than 5 games as a head coach in his first 5 years. He was then given an UNHEARD of 10 year contract and he took us to 5 Superbowls. Im not saying Jason is another Tom Landry, just saying lets give him some time.

Wasnt that long ago that some members on this board were praising the Miami Dolphins for raiding our staff and what a genius Sporano is. Not looking so good now...

I like emotional coaches also, but I'd take a Landry, Shula, Walsh, ect...Many ways to coach, everybody wants to win. Who knows, maybe Jason will bring in another OC? I know this, last years team would have lost that game Sunday 31-10 or so...
          I'm willing to give him another year, tops... if nothing on offense changes from what's been happening since he got here.

If change happens, and he shows real improvement in his playcalling or he hires an OC, then I'm good with him being the HC for a long time.

But the real "no so secret" reason for our ares of successes this year has been Rob Ryan, not Jason Garrett. I'm afraid of losing Ryan more than I am afraid of losing Garrett.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
            I'm willing to give him another year, tops... if nothing on offense changes from what's been happening since he got here.

If change happens, and he shows real improvement in his playcalling or he hires an OC, then I'm good with him being the HC for a long time.

But the real "no so secret" reason for our ares of successes this year has been Rob Ryan, not Jason Garrett. I'm afraid of losing Ryan more than I am afraid of losing Garrett.
            Garrett has been successful calling plays in the past. Is it the plays or the players? If we had the 1995 Oline how good would Garrett be? I know he went with the youth movement, and its costing us, but again its going to take time. What if we win 6 out of our next 7? still want to get rid of him? I think hes got guys playing above their talent level in some cases, but not using some guys as much as I'd like especially Dez

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Comment

• No coaches are perfect, I just hate ones who do obvious idiotic things. Lovie Smith for instances, everyone on TV, even wives and girlfriends, can look at a play on replay and easily see what happens. Him being on the field, looking at the big screen though, somehow sees something differently then the rest of the world and throws a challenge anyway. He constantly waste timeouts.

Chilly when he was in Minny, numerous times in the 2nd half would forget he had Peterson on the team and he'd get 2-3 carries. I could come up with a bunch of other examples, but for me these are just examples of obvious idiotic things a coach can sometimes do repeatedly that I just won't be a fan of. I can live with bad coaching decisions, going for it on 4th vs punting or vice versa.

But he runs our offense like Boise St, and this is College. It just won't change, he doesn't like boring. That's why he tends to ruin great drives with a triple WR pass across field from the razor back position. Or a HB shovel running sideways when you were pounding them up the middle. It's always gonna be that way and he'll never give up play-calling duties either, we just have to live with it, and for me I'd be ok with him if he stopped doing some of the brain dead things.

Sorry but there isn't enough tom foolery in the world at the goal line to make me go with Martellus Bennett over Dez. Teams who are bad in the red zone are always some of the worst teams in the league, you just can't win games that way.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
              I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Originally posted by pocketaces View Post
                Garrett has been successful calling plays in the past. Is it the plays or the players? If we had the 1995 Oline how good would Garrett be? I know he went with the youth movement, and its costing us, but again its going to take time. What if we win 6 out of our next 7? still want to get rid of him? I think hes got guys playing above their talent level in some cases, but not using some guys as much as I'd like especially Dez
                JG has never been a real OC.

He was never one in Miami and was on a very top heavy Saban staff.

His best year in Dallas was with Sparano holding his jock strap.

The minute Sparano left, we have been stuck with a pass heavy offense that has trouble running the ball all the time.

Add Houck to the list of problem children. He sucks.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit
                  That's not as important to me considering that I think it will be a few years before Tony's career is done as a Cowboy.

I want a QB that we can develop, so that he'll be ready to step in right away. I don't want to be at the point where we suck at QB, so we end up having an ugly LOSING season before we can address QB, and THEN have to wait 2-3 years after drafting him in order to have a stable situation again. Hell, what if our losing season is like 6 wins, then we aren't even in a situation that guarantees us an elite QB anyways. Triple trouble.

If RG3 is there for us, we have to close the deal. If we can get our hands on Luck or Barkley via trade, then I'm for that too. I'm luke cold on Landry right now, so I don't know what to make of him. Tannehill is slightly intriguing. ...and I'm not passing on the chance to grab a good QB (if he's there) this year for a measley Guard.
                  Get our hands on Luck?

This is silly. There is no way possible that we get him.

If you are still entertaining this idea, you need to step back and look again.

Luck will be gone quickly. There is no realistic chance that he will play here. And there is probably no reason he should. There are plenty of teams that would love to have Romo. We need to be thankful for what we have. Romo may not be the best, but he is better than most. Luck is a pipe dream.
                  I published my first book. Available in ebook or paperback! Check it out!!!

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540

Comment

• Eagles are 12-0 coming off a bye week with Andy Reid, that's a scary stat. Our season isn't over with a loss, but man I want to actually have a winning streak sometime this season.

On a side note: Red Bryant has been garnering some attention with how well he's played lately as a run stuffer, that's been interesting to hear because he was one of my favorite prospects coming out that year. I really wanted him as our 3-4 DE, actually felt he was perfect for it. Strong as an ox, you just can't move that guy at all.

I got to see some D-line film of Seattle on NFL Matchup last week and he's been dominating guys.

Comment

• I can't wait for your game! I am not sure who to root for.. I want the Eagles done and out of the way, but you guys are nipping on our heels. Either way, let's hope for no injuries!

On another note, we have able bodies back to practice! This is a new concept, having the exercise bike vacant.

Comment

• With the Texas Rangers loss last night, I can't even think about the Eagles. The only thing I can do is use football as an escape. Need to free my mind.

I know! I'm going to mock Dallas' offseason FA plan! hahahaha. Nice waste of time that'll be, but at least it'll get me off of dwelling on that horrific loss.

Comment

• Baseball is such a waste of time! Concentrate on truly the greatest sport ever! Football! Football! Football!

Comment

• D, Rob Ryan wants you to get more excited for the game

"I know guys say, 'Well, as a coach, you don't play, so you ought to just shut up,''' Ryan said. "Well, first of all, that's where you're wrong. When you're an assistant coach, you should shut up all the time.

"Second of all, when you work 19 hours a day like our staff does here on defense for four days a week, then you ought to have an opinion. I'm going to say my opinion. I'm not scared of what I believe in, and what I believe in is our defense.

"I can't wait to get after these guys. It's going to be great. Hell, let's go get it on.''

f they need my motivation to get ready to play us,'' Ryan said, "then we're going to kick their ass anyway. It ain't going to matter.''

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/ar...-rob-ryan.html

Gotta love it :)

Comment

• Loving this:

Dez Bryant plays Michael Vick in Dallas Cowboys practice - ESPN Dallas

It's not easy simulating Michael Vick in practice, but the Cowboys found an unconventional way to do it: Dez Bryant played quarterback Michael Vick in practice. Bryant, also a lefty, may have the strongest arm on the team, and is also fast. His teammates were suitably impressed.

"He gave us a good look," outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware said. Added Ware who laughed, "He was fast. I was in front of him and I made the tackle."

"He can throw the ball 60 yards, and it looks like its on a frozen rope like Vicks is too, with that lefty spin," inside linebacker Sean Lee added. "...[Bryant's imitation] was dead on. The way he runs. The way he moves. Their play-making ability."
                              Originally posted by D-Unit
                              I have no clue what Bortles is all about. Has a funny name though. Sounds like a Pokemon.

Dallas Cowboys GM -Forum Mock

Comment

• Hahaha that's pretty awesome.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information