X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ward
    Originally posted by bigbluedefense
    - This team will be better next year than they are this year. You gotta hope BP stays and possibly replace Zimmer. But this is a young team, and I think that if you can BP, youre making a mistake. Honestly, who on the market would you rather have than BP right now? We'll gladly take him if you don't want him anymore.
    I agree that we should get rid of Zimmer. A 3-4 guru is needed other than BP to teach these guys why the hell what we're doing isn't working. Because the pieces are all there, there's really no excuse anymore. This is pretty much the best possible 3-4 defense we could get. Sure, NT could beef up a little. Maybe Carpenter and Ware need a few rush moves. But the personnel is there. Zimmer isn't cutting it, and Parcells can't be the teacher for the entire defense and still be a head coach.
    Great article. Makes you wonder what is going on inside the locker room but it also makes you understand why BP does not let coaches yip yap.

Comment

- This team will be better next year than they are this year. You gotta hope BP stays and possibly replace Zimmer. But this is a young team, and I think that if you can BP, youre making a mistake. Honestly, who on the market would you rather have than BP right now? We'll gladly take him if you don't want him anymore.
      I agree that we should get rid of Zimmer. A 3-4 guru is needed other than BP to teach these guys why the hell what we're doing isn't working. Because the pieces are all there, there's really no excuse anymore. This is pretty much the best possible 3-4 defense we could get. Sure, NT could beef up a little. Maybe Carpenter and Ware need a few rush moves. But the personnel is there. Zimmer isn't cutting it, and Parcells can't be the teacher for the entire defense and still be a head coach.
      Also a great article explaining Cover - 2. Helps us understand why Roy is playing so poorly at SS .... Stunned by how intelligent the article is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ware_HITStick
        Who are the big time OG's in FA this year? Any link to a site that lists FA's?
        By the way, DeMarcus got three scks yesterday cuz he relied on his speed and tenacity to get there. Almost no bull rush and almost had 6 by my count.

Had one tackle for a one yard gain and on the another Kitna's feet just went perfectly out of Demarcu's grip. Add the half - a - sack taken away.

I hope next year he has a few of these every year. That is how Merriman gets them -- in bunches of three. I think he had three games this season with three sacks.

Comment

• After watching a few Charger games I have on TiVO(just the defense parts). Have to say Merriman......sucks against the run. I get no clue where people say he is a "beast" against the run. I constantly saw hime getting abused by blockers against the run. Although he's better against the pass than people give him credit for; after watching these games I would have to say something like:

Pass rush- Merriman>>>>Ware

Against run- Merriman<<<Ware

Against pass-Merriman<Ware

But overall for what we need ATM...i'd have to say Merriman would be better for us right now. But after seeing us suck it up at everything on defense I don't think it would matter who we had. Could be due to lack of pass rush though.

If someone brings up the Lions game look who it was against. Ware could develop an actual inside move and prove me wrong later.

Comment

• Originally posted by Number-94
            After watching a few Charger games I have on TiVO(just the defense parts). Have to say Merriman......sucks against the run. I get no clue where people say he is a "beast" against the run. I constantly saw hime getting abused by blockers against the run. Although he's better against the pass than people give him credit for; after watching these games I would have to say something like:

But overall for what we need ATM...i'd have to say Merriman would be better for us right now. But after seeing us suck it up at everything on defense I don't think it would matter who we had. Could be due to lack of pass rush though.

If someone brings up the Lions game look who it was against. Ware could develop an actual inside move and prove me wrong later.
            Ware would have 5-6 more sacks if they could get a Jamaal Williams push up the middle. Imagine if a DT could actually make the pocket move around. Ware would walk into sacks like Merriman does sometimes.

DeMarcus is a physical specimen and better athlete than Merriman but yeah Merriman is a pass rusher extraordinaire. If Ware can develop his upper body and hands -- he would be better than Merriman in all phases of the game. Big IF.

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboysforever
              Originally posted by Number-94
              After watching a few Charger games I have on TiVO(just the defense parts). Have to say Merriman......sucks against the run. I get no clue where people say he is a "beast" against the run. I constantly saw hime getting abused by blockers against the run. Although he's better against the pass than people give him credit for; after watching these games I would have to say something like:

Ware would have 5-6 more sacks if they could get a Jamaal Williams push up the middle. Imagine if a DT could actually make the pocket move around. Ware would walk into sacks like Merriman does sometimes.

DeMarcus is a physical specimen and better athlete than Merriman but yeah Merriman is a pass rusher extraordinaire. If Ware can develop his upper body and hands -- he would be better than Merriman in all phases of the game. Big IF.
              Ware has potential to be almost as good as Merriman in pass rushing, and potential to be better overall. But right here right now its not really close quite honestly.

17 sacks in 12 games is unreal no matter how you wanna slice it. Like I said before, he's the most dynamic pass rushing LB ive seen since Derrick Thomas. He's no LT, but he is definately right now in the same league as Derrick Thomas. And forget the sack numbers. How about hurries? He has alot of hurries as well. Plus he's facing double teams, whereas Ware is getting the LT but I rarely see them commit a RB to Ware as well.

And he is great against the run. From the games Ive seen, he's constantly blowing up run plays on his side in the backfield. He's not as sure of a tackler as Ware, but I wouldn't say Ware is way better of a run stopper. I also agree that Merriman's coverage skills are underrated, but still not as good as Ware's.

Id say this

Pass rushing Merriman>>>>>Ware

Run stuffing Ware>Merriman

Pass coverage Ware>>>Merriman

While Ware is better in 2 out of 3 phases, Merriman's pass rush is simply too good to ignore. His motor is something Ware lacks too. Maybe Ware could get more shoestring sacks as well if he was as aggressive as Merriman, but that remains to be seen.

I hate talking about Ware/Merriman because it has been beaten to death, and I think we all agree that Ware has potential to be better, but I don't think its fair to say he's better right here right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense

While Ware is better in 2 out of 3 phases, Merriman's pass rush is simply too good to ignore. His motor is something Ware lacks too. Maybe Ware could get more shoestring sacks as well if he was as aggressive as Merriman, but that remains to be seen.

I hate talking about Ware/Merriman because it has been beaten to death, and I think we all agree that Ware has potential to be better, but I don't think its fair to say he's better right here right now.
                Yeah the problem is that the 1 thing out of 3 is what we needed Ware the most for. If he can't pass rush, he's just another good linebacker. Why not just move him inside even? I don't really mean that, but that's really what he's worth to us. I'm proud of Ware for improving, that's the most important thing. But I don't think he's anywhere near as consistent as he should/could be.

Comment

Yeah the problem is that the 1 thing out of 3 is what we needed Ware the most for. If he can't pass rush, he's just another good linebacker. Why not just move him inside even? I don't really mean that, but that's really what he's worth to us. I'm proud of Ware for improving, that's the most important thing. But I don't think he's anywhere near as consistent as he should/could be.
                  Welcome back Ward, it hasn't been the same without you, no one to argue/debate with.

Im so tired of the whole Ware Merriman thing, the bottom line is their both really good players and pro bowlers but Merriman will probably always have more sacks cuz he's just used quite differently in SD's defense, assuming he doesn't get busted for roids again. If you really watch every boys game like me you notice Ware literally has improved in every game, He went from 8 sacks as a rookie to 11.5 in his second year, not to mention he's improved greatly against the run and in coverage. I'm predicting Ware gets at least 15 sacks next year as he'll be in year 3 of the conversion from 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB and Bill said it takes 3 years usually for that transition to really happen successfully.

Ward, do you want Parcells fired? I know you and ky were always really critical of him in the past and me and Dunit were pretty much the only ones defending him. Well my patience and support of Parcells is really wearing thin. I think Parcells is a little overrated when it comes to player/talent evaluation when you look at our drafts and free agent signings since he's been here. I always thought Parcells was a great motivator and great relative to play calling and game management but apparently he's overrated in that regard too if you look at how we've collapsed at the end of each of the last 3 seasons. Bottom line is I wouldn't be surprised or dissapointed if Jerry decided to fire Parcells.

Having said that though I think Zimmer will probably take most of the blame and we'll just let him go and get a 3-4 DC.

Comment

• Originally posted by dpl85
                    Originally posted by Ward

Welcome back Ward, it hasn't been the same without you, no one to argue/debate with.

Im so tired of the whole Ware Merriman thing, the bottom line is their both really good players and pro bowlers but Merriman will probably always have more sacks cuz he's just used quite differently in SD's defense, assuming he doesn't get busted for roids again. If you really watch every boys game like me you notice Ware literally has improved in every game, He went from 8 sacks as a rookie to 11.5 in his second year, not to mention he's improved greatly against the run and in coverage. I'm predicting Ware gets at least 15 sacks next year as he'll be in year 3 of the conversion from 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB and Bill said it takes 3 years usually for that transition to really happen successfully.

Ward, do you want Parcells fired? I know you and ky were always really critical of him in the past and me and Dunit were pretty much the only ones defending him. Well my patience and support of Parcells is really wearing thin. I think Parcells is a little overrated when it comes to player/talent evaluation when you look at our drafts and free agent signings since he's been here. I always thought Parcells was a great motivator and great relative to play calling and game management but apparently he's overrated in that regard too if you look at how we've collapsed at the end of each of the last 3 seasons. Bottom line is I wouldn't be surprised or dissapointed if Jerry decided to fire Parcells.

Having said that though I think Zimmer will probably take most of the blame and we'll just let him go and get a 3-4 DC.
                    I'm less concerned with what Merriman is doing and more concerned with what Ware isn't doing. The Merriman/Ware debate is over, Merriman won. The point now is to focus on Ware. He's ours, and he always will be. I gave him kudos for his improvement. It's undeniable. I disagree with your assertion that he has gotten better every game though. He clearly has hot streaks and can beat up on certain tackles but not on others.

Ironic because I hated Parcells at first and have grown to appreciate him more. To me, this season proved he's not the biggest reason we fail. I disagree on his talent assessments, it's not just him looking at these guys. Skyler Green and Montavious Stanley still piss me off, but do you honestly think Parcells picked those guys out on tape and said "We gotta have them!" ? I'm sure he was just taking a scout's recommendation. Parcells grand scheme has worked, that's the good news. He has the offense and defense he wants. The bad news is that the mentality of the team is not where it should be. There are only minor changes (offensive line, free safety) to make and we're exactly what BP has wanted. And then what? Where will the excuses be? Ultimately the players have to perform. You can't say they've done that versus Detroit and Philly.

I hope Zimmer is fired. He's too good a coordinator to be wasting his and our time in Dallas. We need another 3-4 mentor on the staff, and soon. Guys need to progress faster than this.

Comment

• Here's a question I have. What happened to the pass D we played against Indy? Why can we hold Peyton Manning to 14 points and give up 39 to Kitna? What's the difference between now and then?

Thanks Tobzilla

Comment

Ware is an SOLB. He may develop the rush skills eventually. But if you can find an WOLB who can edge rush you get him and move Ware over SOLB. Use Ellis on third down in a DE spot assuming he can still play.

Merriman is out of position on nearly half the plays of the game b/c of how he plays.... which is summarized as get into the back field as fast as possible. I think teams like the Giants and Philly would exploit him with Tiki and Westbrook.

To boot, Merriman has two ILB who can cover flats with speed and a NT, SOLB and DE that provide pressure. Het gets tons of sacks from other guys pressure as much as he does his own. And no way he is doubled with that surrounding cast if he lined up over a quality LT. Gallery sure- gotta go max protect. Walter Jones, no way. Alot of Merriman's hype is scheme and surrounding talent IMHO.

To boot, I think Wimbley may be better than Merriman and Ware in rushing the passer. He is freakishly long and amazing edge speed. More sacks than either on a crappy team in his freshman campaign

Comment

• Ward, when I said I thought Parcells was a little overrated with player/talent evaluation I was thinking more about guys like Jacob Rogers and Stephen Peterman and Marcus Spears and Bruce Thornton and Skyler Green etc. Having said that though he's also made some really good and some great draft picks since he's been here as well. I guess I'm just dissapointed with the inconsistency in that regard but I guess that's just the way the draft is.

As far as FA signings, Marco Rivera was one of the worst I've ever seen, even before the back injury he was obviously an aging player with declining ability.

Comment

• Where the heck is D-Unit?
                            "Red Ball"

Comment

• Originally posted by $KidCowboy$
                              Here's a question I have. What happened to the pass D we played against Indy? Why can we hold Peyton Manning to 14 points and give up 39 to Kitna? What's the difference between now and then?
                              Ellis. Henry was playing better at that point in time, too. There's other stuff, too.

BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboysforever
                                Couple of quick points I wanted to make

- The different schemes you guys ran against the Lions...I liked it. Why didn't it work? 2 reasons.

1. Guys are just not winning their individual matchups. For whatever reasons, the LB blitzes are getting picked up all the time.

2. The safeties can't cover at all. Roy Williams is really being exposed out there.

- You guys are similar to us in a sense that mistakes is what is costing you games. I think that will go away in the playoffs though, because the stakes are higher and players will be more conscious of their actions.

- Get rid of TO in the offseason. While he's a great player, his antics are just too much for a team to handle mentally. Even if its not his fault, he brings too much scrutinity to the table, and that wears a team down. He's also notorious for his 2nd year explosions. Remember the "rat" that he plans on unveiling later? Be ready to hear more TO in the offseason because of that. And thats exactly what he wants.
                                Telling a Cowboy fan that Roy stinks is like worse than death. But yeah, he is horrid. He has no change of direction ability and forever bites on every fake.

TO does need to go but tell folks that here too. Funny cuz I heard he would be trade bait for Atlanta for one of their WR bums and a mid round pick.

On the D Scheme stuff, the blitzs are picked up b/c they are not timed right and everyone knows they are coming. That is the result of horrid coaching and horrid players not making any adjustments.

Also on D, these Cowboys don't understand what zone coverage is. The players are caught reading receivers moves, over-reacting, getting out of place in the zone and not tracking the QB and the ball.

I saw one play where Bradie almost broke his ankles trying to cover a cross pattern in the hash b/c he over commited to the first guy in his zone and then the QB went the other way for 16 yards. It was a symbol on film of what is wrong with the players on this team. Not a patient group of guys.

And as you know BP and Belichick Defenses are all read and react. This team can't read and over reacts.
                                You always say you hear stuff...yet you never provide a source...please bring in some evidence when putting out such a bold statement.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information