This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cardsalltheway
    How would you guys rank your top needs in the upcoming offseason?
    OG
    S
    NT
    WR
    OT/CB (not sure)

That's my opinion.

Comment

• Any of you guys seen the new stadium development? I've got some pics on my phone from when I was down in Arlington (visiting grandparents) of the site. It's about 4 miles away from their house.

Not much going on except for about 3 cranes and a pile of dirt but I'll try to download them on my computer and get them on here.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Originally posted by JBCX
      Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

• Originally posted by sweetness34
        Any of you guys seen the new stadium development? I've got some pics on my phone from when I was down in Arlington (visiting grandparents) of the site. It's about 4 miles away from their house.

Not much going on except for about 3 cranes and a pile of dirt but I'll try to download them on my computer and get them on here.
        There's a whole website dedicated to it, and it looks SICK.

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboysforever
          Originally posted by Jdallas
          Henry's best asset is his ability to play physical press coverage. His biggest liability is he gives up some big plays.

How does that make you want to move him to safety?
          Well if we play more 2 Deep Zone to cover up for Roy and Watkins then Henry is also not being used to his best.

So what is the solution? Go back to Cover 1 in order to play into Roy and Anthony's strengths but pray Watkins develops or a pash rush develops????

To me, there is philosophy that need to emerge here on what kind of D makes sense. Based on selecting a strategy, personnel moves make sense.

I assume this team is moving towards a predominately 2 Deep Zone coverage scheme. So Press Corners are not as important. Everything I have read is this where teams are moving b/c of the way the rules have changed to benefit receivers.

But tell me the D we want and I have some ideas on personnel.
          Safeties playing a 2 deep zone and running a cover 2 are two very different things.

In a pure cover 2 pass defense everyone is in zone and it wouldn't be the best for the way Henry plays pass defense, but it does increase effectiveness versus the run. However, it's obvious the we're not playing this type of defense very often because it also takes care of the RBs in the flat.

You can run man or zone with safeties 2 deep, because all it means is the safeties are playing deep halves of the field to prevent the big play. This seems to play right into Henry's style of physical coverage while occasionally getting beat deep. The safeties are back there to help cover up Henry's weakness.

It seems to me that the 2 deep zone on passing downs is exactly what our defense needs most of the time because you can disguise so many coverages off of it and it fits the skills of our top 2 CBs.

Desings by D-Unit

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul
            Originally posted by sweetness34
            Any of you guys seen the new stadium development? I've got some pics on my phone from when I was down in Arlington (visiting grandparents) of the site. It's about 4 miles away from their house.

There's a whole website dedicated to it, and it looks SICK.
            Well it should be for $1 billion.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Originally posted by JBCX
            Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

• Some interesting articles...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6...<br /> <br />http://www.cowboysplus.com/topstory/stories/010407cpcowlede.32083bf.html

http://www.cowboysplus.com/topstory/...s.2b8e605.html

Damn I'm not very good at posting links. Two of the articles are about the Seahawks terrible injury depleted secondary, they actually signed Pete Hunter. The other one was about Parcells talking about his and Jerry's plan for after the season where he kinda sounded like he was planning on retiring but that's just speculation on my part.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jdallas
                Originally posted by cowboysforever
                Henry's best asset is his ability to play physical press coverage. His biggest liability is he gives up some big plays.

Well if we play more 2 Deep Zone to cover up for Roy and Watkins then Henry is also not being used to his best.

So what is the solution? Go back to Cover 1 in order to play into Roy and Anthony's strengths but pray Watkins develops or a pash rush develops????

To me, there is philosophy that need to emerge here on what kind of D makes sense. Based on selecting a strategy, personnel moves make sense.

I assume this team is moving towards a predominately 2 Deep Zone coverage scheme. So Press Corners are not as important. Everything I have read is this where teams are moving b/c of the way the rules have changed to benefit receivers.

Safeties playing a 2 deep zone and running a cover 2 are two very different things.

In a pure cover 2 pass defense everyone is in zone and it wouldn't be the best for the way Henry plays pass defense, but it does increase effectiveness versus the run. However, it's obvious the we're not playing this type of defense very often because it also takes care of the RBs in the flat.

You can run man or zone with safeties 2 deep, because all it means is the safeties are playing deep halves of the field to prevent the big play. This seems to play right into Henry's style of physical coverage while occasionally getting beat deep. The safeties are back there to help cover up Henry's weakness.

It seems to me that the 2 deep zone on passing downs is exactly what our defense needs most of the time because you can disguise so many coverages off of it and it fits the skills of our top 2 CBs.
                I am sorry JDallas but is not Cover - 2 a man scheme as the name may indicate and 2 - Deep a zone scheme? These two concepts cover the general idea of keeping safeties far back. Cover - 2 = Man. 2 Deep = Zone.

Always wrinkles but talking generics.

Cover 1 to me indicates Watkins in Centerfield with Roy either blitzing, playing Rover or covering someone (TE or RB) in man or double.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jdallas

But if Henry, as you say, is a press corner then does that not normally mean man-to-man bump-n-run .... unless you want him to bimp at the line and then move back into a zone.

I agree if playing 2 Deep Zone we should try to tie-up the receivers as much as possible at the line. Our Corners are big and can tackle so then they could cover the flats.

But even in 2 - Deep with the Corners playing off we should not be having issues in the flats.

Either way, I think the biggest issue with any coverage is pass rush so.....

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit
                    Completed a 2 Round Mock the other day.

I have the Cowboys selecting Levi Brown in Round 1 and Jarvis Moss in Round 2.
                    hey d-unit!! welcome back. where ya been?

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit
                      Completed a 2 Round Mock the other day.

I have the Cowboys selecting Levi Brown in Round 1 and Jarvis Moss in Round 2.
                      I really like it. I think we're going edge rusher with one of our first 3 picks. Moss would fit nicely. I say G or T, and probably a corner with the other.

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
                      Albert Camus

Comment

• I am tired of waiting till next year. EVERY year, we say that the boys will bloom the next year but it never happens.

Comment

I am sorry JDallas but is not Cover - 2 a man scheme as the name may indicate and 2 - Deep a zone scheme? These two concepts cover the general idea of keeping safeties far back. Cover - 2 = Man. 2 Deep = Zone.

Cover 1 to me indicates Watkins in Centerfield with Roy either blitzing, playing Rover or covering someone (TE or RB) in man or double.

You are so wrong.

Cover 2 = everyone in zone coverage. CBs staying up in the flats...LB's in the Middle spread across the field and safeties deep.

Cover 2 man = Everyone in man to man..but both safeties are deep covering their half of the field. Thus they are over the top help.

Comment

• Originally posted by thule

You are so wrong.

Cover 2 = everyone in zone coverage. CBs staying up in the flats...LB's in the Middle spread across the field and safeties deep.

Cover 2 man = Everyone in man to man..but both safeties are deep covering their half of the field. Thus they are over the top help.
                            I only care to use whatever terms you want ... not arguing with you b/c how schemes are named vesus actually played do vary but what you call Cover 2 is called 2 Deep in my world.

But you are definately right that folks are using Cover 2 as a pure zone scheme more times than not and then use a variation of Cover Two with man underneath.

Just want to know what you call it. Thank you.

Please, I don't want some pee match over terminology thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by thule

You are so wrong.

I only care to use whatever terms you want ... not arguing with you b/c how schemes are named vesus actually played do vary but what you call Cover 2 is called 2 Deep in my world.

But you are definately right that folks are using Cover 2 as a pure zone scheme more times than not and then use a variation of Cover Two with man underneath.

Just want to know what you call it. Thank you.

Please, I don't want some pee match over terminology thanks.
                              BTW, BB used to call it two deep if my hazy memory of the 80s serves me right.

Comment

• Robert Meachem just declared. I would love him if TO is gone.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information