This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
    Is he moving to RT for sure? I haven't heard anything official, but I'm slow with that kind of news since I come here for my news. LOL.
    It's not written in stone, but both Garrett and Callahan have made public statements about considering it.

Comment

• Let's take a look at John Elway for a minute. Until he had a great running game and a solid defense did he finally win a championship. And at that point, he was doing much less with his arm and legs than he did when he was losing super bowls. So I think that it can be unfair to say that Romo "needs" a good running game and "needs" a good defense to do well.

Also, let's look at Eli this year. He did have a pretty solid and consistent year altogether, but I don't think the Giants win the super bowl this year if Bradshaw doesn't get health and the running game doesn't pick up and if they do not get healthy on the DL and gel on defense. I highly doubt they make the play-offs if those 2 things do not happen.

When Brady was winning his championships, their defenses were ones that teams were afraid to play. I'm not taking anything away from Brady, but I don't know if they win all three of those if the defenses were dominant.

My point is that there aren't a lot of QB's in recent history that can take a team completely on their back and take them to a championship. Peyton Manning's do not grow on trees.

There's simply a lot of expectations for our QB position with our storied franchise. By no means am I defending Romo, but rather saying it's unfair to make statements saying he needs both a good defense and running game to win when other winning QB's in recent history have needed them as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by CDCB14 View Post
        After reading over the past few pages, what has me laughing is the hypocritical nature of your resent posts regarding Romo and Rob Ryan.

You say Romo needs people around him and can't carry a team, but Rob Ryan is a "genius DC" who gets a pass because he has never had anything to work with....

So why the double standard? If anything, you're point has no validity because Romo is the farthest thing from the problem and has been a top 10 QB for the last 5 years, and Rob Ryan has never been on a team with a winning record and never had a team in the top 12 of points or yards per game. That's a joke. So he needs a better pass rush and secondary to win? I thought he was some genius? This defense made Rex Grossman, Matt Moore, and Kevin Kolb look like Montana is his prime in a 2 minute drive. Pathetic.

Again, just to let it sink in, Rob Ryan was the DC of all losing teams before this year were the Cowboys went 8-8, and never has had a unit finish in the top 33% of the league in yards per game, or scoring. And obviously his units aren't clutch/good at holding leads, so that isn't even a point against Romo, because Rob Ryan's units have blown more leads/games in the 4th quarter than Romo.

Let's just look to the Jets game. We were up 24-10 and the defense let Mark freakin' Sanchez go right down the field like we were butter in the 4th quarter and score to make it 24-17 with about 8 minutes left. Force a punt there and Romo's fumble and INT to revis don't even happen and we win the game. They gave up 2 TD's to calvin johnson against the lions too. We still had a 10 point lead after Romo's two pick 6's... what about that too?

I could go on and on. He's a loud mouth living on his last name and is an average coordinator. Now, he is good enough to win with with better players, which I will openly admit, but he's nothing special.

So, please do clarify your double standard regarding Romo and Rob Ryan.
        Tony Romo has been surrounded by top shelf talent basically his entire career here. The amount of resources that the team has committed to the offense has been terribly unbalanced compared to what has been invested in the defense. The fact that he still can't get the job despite all that puts the microscope heavily on his shoulders.

If Rob Ryan had a defense with top shelf talent and still wasn't getting the job done, then he would receive equal criticism. Rob improved our defense dramatically from last year using the same (albeit a year older) players that Wade used. So to hear someone praise Wade and criticize Rob when the players were basically the same is lunacy to me. That is the epitome of giving someone praise based off name.

Tony Romo has been starting for 7 years and Rob Ryan has been here 1. Why would I criticize them both equally relative to the Cowboys? Especially when Ryan made our defense perform better in his first year?

You talk about double standard as if it's wrong or unfair. That's the facts of life. They exist! ...and it IS FAIR. I'm not gonna hold David Arkin and Kyle Kosier on the same level. I'm not gonna hold Jason Garrett's first year as HC on the same level as Wade Phillips' last year as HC. You need to factor in the circumstances before you start to compare apples to oranges.

Tony Romo is not THE problem. Yes, he has made idiotic decisions that have cost this teams wins and yes, he has made great decisions that have given this team wins. He's not a bad QB. I agree that he is a top 7-10 QB in the league and I'm happy to have him as the Cowboys QB. IS THAT CLEAR???

Some of you guys get in an uproar because I name QB as a future draft need. Some of you guys get in an uproar if anyone in the world doubts Romo's ability to win a SB. Some of you guys are overly supportive and overly forgiving of his mistakes. Why can't you call it like it is? When he does good, praise him. When he does bad, don't brush it aside and point the finger elsewhere. That's what I see. I don't see many calling out Romo for his mistakes.

If you wanna talk about double standard, why give Romo excuses and Rob none? Because one is ranked higher in their profession than another? Really? A rankings list??? Rob has 2 Super Bowl rings. How many does Romo have?

Comment

• Originally posted by leroyisgod View Post
          It's not written in stone, but both Garrett and Callahan have made public statements about considering it.
          Sweeeeeeeeeet! Just the kind of news to make my day. ^_^

Comment

Let's take a look at John Elway for a minute. Until he had a great running game and a solid defense did he finally win a championship. And at that point, he was doing much less with his arm and legs than he did when he was losing super bowls. So I think that it can be unfair to say that Romo "needs" a good running game and "needs" a good defense to do well.

Also, let's look at Eli this year. He did have a pretty solid and consistent year altogether, but I don't think the Giants win the super bowl this year if Bradshaw doesn't get health and the running game doesn't pick up and if they do not get healthy on the DL and gel on defense. I highly doubt they make the play-offs if those 2 things do not happen.

When Brady was winning his championships, their defenses were ones that teams were afraid to play. I'm not taking anything away from Brady, but I don't know if they win all three of those if the defenses were dominant.

My point is that there aren't a lot of QB's in recent history that can take a team completely on their back and take them to a championship. Peyton Manning's do not grow on trees.

There's simply a lot of expectations for our QB position with our storied franchise. By no means am I defending Romo, but rather saying it's unfair to make statements saying he needs both a good defense and running game to win when other winning QB's in recent history have needed them as well.
            I'm not really saying he "needs" them. IMO, he's got it already. The only thing he needs on offense is a Guard and Center. He should be able to get by with an average starting caliber players there. There's no need to spend a 1st rounder on a Guard. There's no need to sign a Franchise player in FA there. It's OVERKILL. We CANNOT keep ignoring the defense and then blame them for not getting the job done. That is the theme of this Cowboys forum.

We should spend all of our picks on defense and spend the majority of our cap on more defensive players. I guarantee that we see the most improvement for this team. Sign an average OG and C and call it day. Those are cheap positions to fill compared to DT, DE, OLB, DB.

Romo did well last year with what he had, isn't that what I'm hearing? So let's address our real needs.

Comment

I'm not really saying he "needs" them. IMO, he's got it already. The only thing he needs on offense is a Guard and Center. He should be able to get by with an average starting caliber players there. There's no need to spend a 1st rounder on a Guard. There's no need to sign a Franchise player in FA there. It's OVERKILL. We CANNOT keep ignoring the defense and then blame them for not getting the job done. That is the theme of this Cowboys forum.

We should spend all of our picks on defense and spend the majority of our cap on more defensive players. I guarantee that we see the most improvement for this team. Sign an average OG and C and call it day. Those are cheap positions to fill compared to DT, DE, OLB, DB.

Romo did well last year with what he had, isn't that what I'm hearing? So let's address our real needs.
              I'm all for spending a majority of our FA pick ups and draft picks on defense. But I do not want to ignore helping the offense out some. I don't know of many teams that would do that. I do think we need to resign Robinson, look for a future TE and QB along with a G.

I do believe you did make the comments that Romo needed those things. But whatever, not gonna argue over that. I just am not a fan of completely spending the off-season on defense. We do need help there and think we will spend some time on it. But let's just remember that this league has turned more into an offense driven league. We need to make sure we have the weapons on the side of the ball as well.

Comment

• Anyway, and interesting idea was brought up today on the Lunch Break. If we switch to a 4-3, could Victor Butler be the SAM with Lee at MIKE and Carter at WILL?

It was just a hypothetical, but it's an interesting idea.

Comment

Anyway, and interesting idea was brought up today on the Lunch Break. If we switch to a 4-3, could Victor Butler be the SAM with Lee at MIKE and Carter at WILL?

It was just a hypothetical, but it's an interesting idea.
                  So is there really that much chatter coming out of Valley Ranch about a potential switch to a full time 4-3?

Comment

So is there really that much chatter coming out of Valley Ranch about a potential switch to a full time 4-3?
                    No no no, they are staying with the 3-4. Victor Butler was brought up and they thought of that potential idea because he obviously can't start in a 3-4 because he can't stop the run.

Complete speculation, no substance from the organization behind it.

Comment

I'm all for spending a majority of our FA pick ups and draft picks on defense. But I do not want to ignore helping the offense out some. I don't know of many teams that would do that. I do think we need to resign Robinson, look for a future TE and QB along with a G.

I do believe you did make the comments that Romo needed those things. But whatever, not gonna argue over that. I just am not a fan of completely spending the off-season on defense. We do need help there and think we will spend some time on it. But let's just remember that this league has turned more into an offense driven league. We need to make sure we have the weapons on the side of the ball as well.
                      We all know that won't happen too. I'm just saying, the emphasis needs to be placed back on defense.

As for me saying Romo needing all those things... that was a direct response to the people claiming that we need to surround Romo with high expenditures in FA and 1st round pick usage on OFFENSE. I was reguritating what was being said here. Those weren't my feelings. I'm fine with using picks outside of Round 1 on OL. I'm fine with not getting Nicks in FA. But everytime I say that, I get the reasons WHY WE SHOULD.

People saying we need to get Nicks and DeCastro are essentially telling me that Romo NEEDS to have those things in order to do his job. That's adds more fuel to my fire that Romo isn't ALL THAT, if he needs to have those caliber of players in order to do his job.

Comment

We all know that won't happen too. I'm just saying, the emphasis needs to be placed back on defense.

As for me saying Romo needing all those things... that was a direct response to the people claiming that we need to surround Romo with high expenditures in FA and 1st round pick usage on OFFENSE. I was reguritating what was being said here. Those weren't my feelings. I'm fine with using picks outside of Round 1 on OL. I'm fine with not getting Nicks in FA. But everytime I say that, I get the reasons WHY WE SHOULD.

People saying we need to get Nicks and DeCastro are essentially telling me that Romo NEEDS to have those things in order to do his job. That's adds more fuel to my fire that Romo isn't ALL THAT, if he needs to have those caliber of players in order to do his job.
                        It's more about the running game than Romo. Obviously it would help pass protection, but 5 rushing TDs all season is pathetic, and one was a QB sneak. Our situational running game is a joke. Look up the amount of times a team has made the playoffs with single digit rushing touchdowns in a season.. I bet it's less than ten in the 90+ year history of the NFL.

If our running game doesn't get more consistent we'll always have the same problems. 5 rushing touchdowns.... that's embarrassing. Some teams run for 3 or 4 in one game week in and week out. 5 in 16 games? Pathetic.

Comment

It's more about the running game than Romo. Obviously it would help pass protection, but 5 rushing TDs all season is pathetic, and one was a QB sneak. Our situational running game is a joke. Look up the amount of times a team has made the playoffs with single digit rushing touchdowns in a season.. I bet it's less than ten in the 90+ year history of the NFL.

If our running game doesn't get more consistent we'll always have the same problems. 5 rushing touchdowns.... that's embarrassing. Some teams run for 3 or 4 in one game week in and week out. 5 in 16 games? Pathetic.
                          Yeah that's pretty pathetic, but I also blame a lot of that on Garrett's playcalling and lack of trust in the run. Plus, Felix Jones was bad this year.

Let's just put it this way... as bad as those rushing TD numbers are concerning, they are nothing compared to the concern we have on defense.

Comment

Yeah that's pretty pathetic, but I also blame a lot of that on Garrett's playcalling and lack of trust in the run. Plus, Felix Jones was bad this year.
                            What's he gonna call when he's got Costa getting driven back into Romo's lap and guys like Hollan and Koiser that can't move?

The issue wasn't play calling. The issue was talent in the interior OL.

Let's just put it this way... as bad as those rushing TD numbers are concerning, they are nothing compared to the concern we have on defense.
                            I agree that the defense is MORE important, but that interior OL has to be addressed, at least the C position.
                            In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
                              What's he gonna call when he's got Costa getting driven back into Romo's lap and guys like Hollan and Koiser that can't move?

The issue wasn't play calling. The issue was talent in the interior OL.

I agree that the defense is MORE important, but that interior OL has to be addressed, at least the C position.
                              That was part of it, but there was also an issue with the playcalling. I don't mean simply calling "run" or "pass". I'm talking about the design of our run plays. They were piss poor and very predictable to defend. This is one area that I hope Callahan will improve on this ball club. Bringing in more innovative run schemes. You know who's run schemes I love? Bob Stoops at OU. Man the stuff they run is bad ass compared to what Garrett showed.

...and like I said... addressing the OL needs to be done... but it doesn't have to be with our 1st rounder and it doesn't have to be with franchise caliber players. The more we use there, the less we have to address our main concerns on defense.

Comment

That was part of it, but there was also an issue with the playcalling. I don't mean simply calling "run" or "pass". I'm talking about the design of our run plays. They were piss poor and very predictable to defend. This is one area that I hope Callahan will improve on this ball club. Bringing in more innovative run schemes. You know who's run schemes I love? Bob Stoops at OU. Man the stuff they run is bad ass compared to what Garrett showed.

...and like I said... addressing the OL needs to be done... but it doesn't have to be with our 1st rounder and it doesn't have to be with franchise caliber players. The more we use there, the less we have to address our main concerns on defense.
                                Well, it's hard for us to have that debate because I don't care how well things are designed, if you have a kid that simply can't play (Costa), the design won't matter for sqat. It's kind of a chicken and egg.

I do agree that Callahan should be a great help to Jason.
                                In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information