X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Trogdor View Post
    Yep. BtB broke it down nicely.

We need big plays mixed in with our current approach. We have the speed to make it happen and Tony can toss the ball deep VERY well. That over the shoulder toss to Austin in the end zone was about the most perfect throw one can make.
    Did they? Glad I'm not too off in my assessment then. :) I don't read btb as much as I should. They have good stuff from time to time.

I read one article today that was nearly in sync with what I was trying to say yesterday. So much so, that I think he must have read my post before publishing his article! Hahaha, I kid, I kid.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...se-in-carolina

Good read, so you should take a look.

Comment

• Originally posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
      The way our defense can play it's basically close your eyes and throw a dart and if it comes out they play good, then we will, if it comes out bad, then we play poorly. Our defensive side of the ball will always be a pain in the regular season until we get a good DC. Fewell is terrible and I have ZERO faith in him in the regular season.

So let's not get ahead of ourselves. If the defense plays like we did against the 9ers than I think we can do some damage. However, I doubt that happens. Fewell will do what he did last sunday. That's rush 3 and drop Tuck in coverage! I was waiting for him to bust that beauty out and he did. Amazing Justin Tuck in coverage. I hate Fewell, i really do.
      One thing that is different from the last time we played you guys... is aside from penalties, our OL has been playing better and better. Not having Livings, Bernadeau and Costa healthy in training camp and Cook being a late addition, perhaps we were more harsh on them that they deserved. They are improving and that's all I hope for. In the last 3 games Romo has only been sacked twice. Carolina did not even touch him. Carolina sucks though. Our real problem is Romo's hesitancy to go deep even when given time to throw.

One thing that BtB mentioned today that I found interesting was this though.

295: The average weight of the Panthers' four starting defensive linemen, a far cry from the 333 pounds averaged by the Ravens 3-man front. Seemingly spurred by the haunting memory of Bill Nagy and Phil Costa's inability to move New England's big uglies Vince Woolfork and Ty Warren, one of the team's offseason goals was to get bigger and stronger along the offensive line. Enter free agents Nate Livings and MacKenzie Bernardeau, who offer significantly more heft and raw power than Nagy and Kyle Kosier. When matched up against Baltimore's big dudes, the plan appeared to be a success, as the Cowboys sustained blocks and consistently chewed off big chunks in the running game.

When facing four-man fronts against Seattle and Tampa Bay earlier in the year, however, the interior O-line appeared slow and was exposed by quickness. By trading quickness for size, in other words, the Cowboys appeared to have robbed Peter to pay Paul; in Carolina, this thesis seemed to be further substantiated, as they struggled to run the ball consistently against the Panthers' front four, especially in the second half. With smaller, quicker foursomes on the horizon in six of the next seven weeks (and with Costa likely to miss at least the next few games), we'll soon know more concretely if struggles against four-man fronts are to be one of the season's dominant storylines.
      So let's see how we handle the G-Men who have possibly the best front 4 in the NFL. If Romo is aggressive, then I think we'll have a fighting chance. Especially if we don't have Murray.

Defensively, we're really starting to click. I'm excited to see if we can keep it up against you guys. This is gonna be a true test here. Carr had a rough time against Steve Smith (7 receptions and a holding penalty), but Claiborne has been pretty shutdown and even had his 1st INT. Jenkins only had 1 snap against Carolina, but they don't run 3 WR sets too often. I expect Jenkins to play a lot more against you guys.

Comment

• We had one pass over 20 yards last week, which was the TD to Austin. Since when did our offense become so anemic? So afraid to go downfield, or even attempt a shot. We have all these weapons and a wide open offense but we clam it down. Goes hand in hand with the playcall at the end to play for the FG.

No reason that that type of play calling is acceptable.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
        I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
          We had one pass over 20 yards last week, which was the TD to Austin. Since when did our offense become so anemic? So afraid to go downfield, or even attempt a shot. We have all these weapons and a wide open offense but we clam it down. Goes hand in hand with the playcall at the end to play for the FG.

No reason that that type of play calling is acceptable.
          Romo was the second-most accurate deep passer in the league last season, according to Pro Football Focus.

Even when Romo had a clean pocket all day against Carolina, he only threw that 1 deep pass.

Something weird is going on. It's not for inability to do so. It's mental. Romo has always had fragile mental issues, but I blame Garrett too. The both of them have to recognize what's going on here. Adjustments have to be made.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
            Romo was the second-most accurate deep passer in the league last season, according to Pro Football Focus.

Even when Romo had a clean pocket all day against Carolina, he only threw that 1 deep pass.

Something weird is going on. It's not for inability to do so. It's mental. Romo has always had fragile mental issues, but I blame Garrett too. The both of them have to recognize what's going on here. Adjustments have to be made.
            Panthers played super deep in the back end since they didn't have to respect Felix Jones too. Garrett needs to get back to how he was successful. Mixing draws, screens, counters, and DEEP play action into a high octane offense. This dink-and-dunk stuff doesn't really play into Romo's strengths.
            Originally posted by D-Unit
            I have no clue what Bortles is all about. Has a funny name though. Sounds like a Pokemon.

Dallas Cowboys GM -Forum Mock

Comment

• He probably doesn't feel entirely confident in his protections when he dials up a 7 step drop. Maybe that's the underlying problem?

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                He probably doesn't feel entirely confident in his protections when he dials up a 7 step drop. Maybe that's the underlying problem?
                Those aren't the only way we can throw deep passes though. You can do a 3 step drop and take a shot deep outside. It's a staple of this offense and has been for a long time, as long as our line has been terrible so that's nothing new. It was a losing gameplan, only reason it didn't end that way is we played the 1 team who is better at finding ways to lose then we are.

I am positive if we dial up something that conservative again it'll be a failure.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                  Those aren't the only way we can throw deep passes though. You can do a 3 step drop and take a shot deep outside. It's a staple of this offense and has been for a long time, as long as our line has been terrible so that's nothing new. It was a losing gameplan, only reason it didn't end that way is we played the 1 team who is better at finding ways to lose then we are.

I am positive if we dial up something that conservative again it'll be a failure.
                  You guys play us well though. Especially offensively. I can't remember the last time we shut you down.

Comment

• Maybe our Carolina game plan was designed to disguise things for this week against the Giants.

We're pulling out all the stops this Sunday!!! hahaha

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post

I haven't done the research on this, but it looks to me like we've changed the way we use Dez & Miles. It seems like Dez is more the possesion type guy and Miles the deep threat. I actually think it should be reversed. Austin is the good route runner and should run the slants, ins and such. Dez should be the guy that uses his speed and athleticism to make plays down field. Just my opinion.
                      In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
                        I haven't done the research on this, but it looks to me like we've changed the way we use Dez & Miles. It seems like Dez is more the possesion type guy and Miles the deep threat. I actually think it should be reversed. Austin is the good route runner and should run the slants, ins and such. Dez should be the guy that uses his speed and athleticism to make plays down field. Just my opinion.
                        Garrett already admitted Miles wasn't 100% for the majority of the season thus far. I wonder if the route trees are protecting him from those routes.

Either way Miles is our slot guy which is getting him a ton of free releases. We need to take advantage of that and use more bunch/stack.
                        I have no clue what Bortles is all about. Has a funny name though. Sounds like a Pokemon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
                          Yeah that's what I said too. Austin is our slot WR, but our use of the slot is not like the Welker, Amendola, Bess types. Since slots are used many different ways... You got the quick, shifty, difficult to cover guys...aka the Welkers... you got the physical possession receiver slots, like Colston, Avant, Boldin... you got the deep game receiver slots, like Cruz, Santana Moss, and Austin. ...and that's not even counting TE's who line up in the slot.

Calling a WR a slot used to mean that he's got incapabilities to play X or Z. People often say it's their #3 WR. But teams now often use their best WRs in the slot. The position doesn't have inferiority anymore. That's why I don't pay attention to Bob when he whines about Austin not being our #1 WR. ...as if there is such a label that matters. ...Miles is our best fit for the slot. ...and when you consider that in Coryell's offense that the deep read is the #1 read, then Miles technically CAN be considered our #1 WR.

Maybe the issue is that we should change up the way we use the slot. We should use Miles as a hybrid. Having Miles in the slot is awesome because he literally can do it all. He can cut the rug, he can break tackles, he can go deep, he can be physical... only draw back is his proneness to injury.

Or maybe it's not that. Maybe our use of Miles is perfectly fine... Having him go deep isn't the problem. But maybe we need MULTIPLE guys going deep! The idea needs to be pounded in Garrett's brain that he needs to send Dez deep more... I think that's what we need.... and Romo needs to trust him to go up and beat his man (both him and Miles matter of factly). Send them deep and have Witten and Ogletree work the soft zone underneath. Ogletree deep hasn't worked the way Laurent worked last year, that's for sure. But he has been pretty clutch on short passes. Rework the program Garrett! Try it!

Comment

• Garretts fault, Romos fault, or WRs fault?

The announcers] were talking about a similar situation to the run-pass option you diagrammed. Laufenberg noted that Romo has consistently responded to single coverage on his flankers by trying to get the ball to them on 'deep fades'(or go routes). Laufenberg said, in effect: Yes, Romo is seeing the coverage correctly and making what should be the right audible; however, the problem is that the Cowboys wideouts, including Austin, have been terrible at running these patterns this year.

He said they are undisciplined in their routes and techniques, fail to fight off or properly evade the press at the line, and when they get past the line, do not leave enough field between themselves and the sidelines for Romo to throw to."

Sounds to me like Romo is the least of our problems, but thats just me...

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Comment

• Originally posted by pocketaces View Post
                              Garretts fault, Romos fault, or WRs fault?

The announcers] were talking about a similar situation to the run-pass option you diagrammed. Laufenberg noted that Romo has consistently responded to single coverage on his flankers by trying to get the ball to them on 'deep fades'(or go routes). Laufenberg said, in effect: Yes, Romo is seeing the coverage correctly and making what should be the right audible; however, the problem is that the Cowboys wideouts, including Austin, have been terrible at running these patterns this year.

He said they are undisciplined in their routes and techniques, fail to fight off or properly evade the press at the line, and when they get past the line, do not leave enough field between themselves and the sidelines for Romo to throw to."

Sounds to me like Romo is the least of our problems, but thats just me...
                              Careful your line of thought is going to get you jumped. Defending Romo is a crime here :)

On a serious note Quarterbacks ALWAYS receive too much credit when things are good and too much blame when things are bad. Always the case.

That being said the entire team is undisciplined that isn't a coincidence. Pre-snap penalties are also a mark of an undisciplined team. Good news is the offensive line has been excellent compared to early in the season when it comes to pre-snap so perhaps it's just a matter of time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trogdor View Post
                                Careful your line of thought is going to get you jumped. Defending Romo is a crime here :)

On a serious note Quarterbacks ALWAYS receive too much credit when things are good and too much blame when things are bad. Always the case.

That being said the entire team is undisciplined that isn't a coincidence. Pre-snap penalties are also a mark of an undisciplined team. Good news is the offensive line has been excellent compared to early in the season when it comes to pre-snap so perhaps it's just a matter of time.
                                An O-line that cant block, WRs that run the wrong routes, Drops, no running game, and people say we need to get rid of Romo? Crazy talk! Romo does have his share of bone headed plays but usually its from pressing or trying to make a play when the play has been blown up. Not to mention the OC doesnt play to his strengths and/or getting the play in late ect ect

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information