• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jdallas
    Originally posted by cowboysforever
    Originally posted by Jdallas
    Picked this from the DMN articel from Matt Mosley .... I came to BURY him not praise him ....

"Lions quarterback Jon Kitna told a Seattle radio station earlier this week that Cowboys linebacker Bradie James looked completely lost when he watched him on film. James got beat by Jerramy Stevens on the touchdown pass, but he did finish with 11 tackles Saturday."
    Just a note on the Stevens pass where it looks like Bradie is beat. Technically the coverage is designed to have a LB in zone underneath and a safety over the top. There is a hole in the zone between the two and the coverage is designed so that if the TE/Receiver is going up the field the LB can chase and force the QB to put more air under the ball to give the safety more time to react and create a more difficult pass. I'm not saying a faster LB wouldn't be better in that situation because it would, I'm just trying to explain it's more Roy's fault for being out of position than Bradie's. Bradie was performing the coverage correct to the best of his abilities, but Roy wasn't there over the top.

Like I said in my list of needs I think we need one more nickel LB. Bradie is perfect for our 3-4 and he needs his size to hold up against guards in the running game and he does a great job of that, but I never really understood why he also played in the nickel defense. He may be improved over when he came here, but he just doesn't have the physical ability to thrive in that role.

It's too bad that we didn't move Hoyte to FB earlier in the season. I think it's obvious he outplayed Polite in that role and should only get better with experience. I don't blame the coaching staff for not moving him in training camp and I actually think it's a credit to them that they did eventually move him, but if he would have been a FB in training camp we would have had one LB spot open which could have been filled by Shanle or Boiman who I think could have excelled playing in the nickel defense.
    Good point on Hoyte and the implications with Boiman or Shanle.

I strongly disagree with you argument over needing Bradie or Akin playing 250-260 to hold up versus the run.

No other 3-4 team has such big ILB. In addition plus 10 pounds don't mean much when guards are playing 310-330 pounds.

BP's vision of ILB's is very 80s when Guards ran 280 lbs and his ILBs where 240-245. Guards where not big and usually where not terribly athletic either. 40 lbs of difference does not make up for the athletics.

330 versus 250 is 80 pounds. DOUBLE is a huge difference and also Guards are more athletic today if you ask me.

Sorry but given the size disparity I would just as soon have guys who are fast and can play coverage.

With that said, I think we need a bigger, more powerful NT. All the good 3-4 play 325lbs plus at NT and Fergie is 310. Wilfork, Hampton, Williams are 325 to 345.

I know I am repeating but it seems so obvious to me. I fault BP for this misconfiguration.
    Well, something that I know you're absolutely wrong on is Fergie. He may not be the size of other DTs, but he does an outstanding job of defending the run. If you were to criticize him it would be that he isn't a pass rushing force like a Wilfork is, but I don't really expect that out of him. He is big enough and he dominates his opponent every week.

I'm not going to argue that a 230 pound LB can't go up against a 315 poung guard. We all saw Dat Nguyen do it last year and he was good at it. Being bigger allows you to not lose your stamina when doing it over the course of a game or a season. Bradie James is good enough at pass defense to do it when we're in the 3-4 and they pass, but I think we should get bring another guy in when we go to nickel or dime and are putting pass defense as a priority.
    I love Fergie. I have nothing but nice things to say of him. I think he is above average but he is not in Jamaal Williams, Hampton or Wilfork's class.

Well, Bradie may some day be good in coverage but according to Jon Kitna and my eye balls he is horrid.

I just don't see how you can keep Bradie James and Roy Williams on the field at the same time and expect to provide adequate pass coverage versus TE and RBs or WR in crossing routes.

One liability. OK, we can "scheme" that. But 2 liabilities at the same time in the same middle area of the field? It would be like playing two DTs at 250 lbs in a 4-3.

I just can not see it happening.

Comment

• Also, if you haven't seen our opponents for next year, it's good news. We play N.Y. Giants, Philadelphia, Washington, Green Bay, Minnesota, St. Louis, New England, N.Y. Jets at Home. N.Y. Giants, Philadelphia, Washington, Chicago, Detroit, Carolina, Buffalo, Miami Away. Wow. At this point, that looks very good.

BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Staubach12
        Originally posted by dpl85
        I really hope we don't sit on our butts in FA, we have to be agressive, not to the point where we overpay marginal talent like Washington but we have to sign some really good FAs and have a really good draft. If we're successful in that regard I think we can legitimately compete for a super bowl next year.
        Well, if we want to talk about Free Agency, who do you guys want?
        Well the hardest spot on the field to get rookies to play big time is OL so ...... I guess number 1 priority. My only problem is how can you justify spending AGAIN on a Guard. Jeez.

The second area is an edge rusher and young DT/NT. Adalius Thomas (big $$$$$) and Sands from Oakland (will draw some interest).

Comment

Also, if you haven't seen our opponents for next year, it's good news. We play N.Y. Giants, Philadelphia, Washington, Green Bay, Minnesota, St. Louis, New England, N.Y. Jets at Home. N.Y. Giants, Philadelphia, Washington, Chicago, Detroit, Carolina, Buffalo, Miami Away. Wow. At this point, that looks very good.
          AFC East is fairly weak but Buf and Jets are vastly improved.

Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota, St Louis, Carolina and GreenBay don't scare anybody. Only Greenbay looks to be much better next year.

I am going on a limb and predicting 13-3 if BP comes back.

Comment

• Don't crap on Carolina because they underperformed this season. They're still a dangerous team, and I expect them to bounce back next season.

All I'll say about Saturday night is I came away from it with a new dent in the side of my car. Frustration will do that.

Comment

• Petrino to ATL.

By the way on the TO, Marco Rivera, Kosier, Williams and James contracts etc...... if cut them or trade them ..... (I know we won't)

Before June 1 -- we would have dead cap of Vanderjerk (1.6) + TO (6.6MM) + Rivera (5.4MM) + Kosier (4MM) + Williams (7.75MM) + Bradie (6.4MM) = 31.4MM

After June 1 Dead Cap = 1.6 + 3.3 + 2.7 + 2 + 3.8 + 3.2 = 16.6

At least based on what is published on the internet about the contracts given. JBJ is a generous man with mediocre talent

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboysforever
                Petrino to ATL.

By the way on the TO, Marco Rivera, Kosier, Williams and James contracts etc...... if cut them or trade them ..... (I know we won't)

Before June 1 -- we would have dead cap of Vanderjerk (1.6) + TO (6.6MM) + Rivera (5.4MM) + Kosier (4MM) + Williams (7.75MM) + Bradie (6.4MM) = 31.4MM

At least based on what is published on the internet about the contracts given. JBJ is a generous man with mediocre talent
                Where did you find that info?

BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by BX
                  Don't crap on Carolina because they underperformed this season. They're still a dangerous team, and I expect them to bounce back next season.

All I'll say about Saturday night is I came away from it with a new dent in the side of my car. Frustration will do that.
                  I'll crap on Carolina all I want until they get a real QB.

Desings by D-Unit

Comment

Picked this from the DMN articel from Matt Mosley .... I came to BURY him not praise him ....

"Lions quarterback Jon Kitna told a Seattle radio station earlier this week that Cowboys linebacker Bradie James looked completely lost when he watched him on film. James got beat by Jerramy Stevens on the touchdown pass, but he did finish with 11 tackles Saturday."
                    Just a note on the Stevens pass where it looks like Bradie is beat. Technically the coverage is designed to have a LB in zone underneath and a safety over the top. There is a hole in the zone between the two and the coverage is designed so that if the TE/Receiver is going up the field the LB can chase and force the QB to put more air under the ball to give the safety more time to react and create a more difficult pass. I'm not saying a faster LB wouldn't be better in that situation because it would, I'm just trying to explain it's more Roy's fault for being out of position than Bradie's. Bradie was performing the coverage correct to the best of his abilities, but Roy wasn't there over the top.

Like I said in my list of needs I think we need one more nickel LB. Bradie is perfect for our 3-4 and he needs his size to hold up against guards in the running game and he does a great job of that, but I never really understood why he also played in the nickel defense. He may be improved over when he came here, but he just doesn't have the physical ability to thrive in that role.

It's too bad that we didn't move Hoyte to FB earlier in the season. I think it's obvious he outplayed Polite in that role and should only get better with experience. I don't blame the coaching staff for not moving him in training camp and I actually think it's a credit to them that they did eventually move him, but if he would have been a FB in training camp we would have had one LB spot open which could have been filled by Shanle or Boiman who I think could have excelled playing in the nickel defense.
                    I can't remember who pointed this guys out...but his name was mentioned about 10 pages ago.

Sabby Piscitelli (6'2", 221, 4.52)
                    He is a SS playing for Oregon State. He is at his best when playing in a zone. Has a mean streak. Possesses adequate top-end speed and shows adequate range. Possesses good athletic ability, can change directions quickly and flashes the ability to stay with tight ends in man coverage. Is tall, has good leaping ability and can compete for jump balls. Has good ball skills and flashes the ability to make the big play in coverage. Plays with a good motor and should make special teams' contributions early on.

He has trouble disengaging blocks and he won't be able to man up one on one with the slot reciever.

Anyways...this guy screams what your calling for to me. He is a second day pick at this point..and won't run a great time. He could do wonders playing deep middle with Watkins...plus we would have good size back their against the deep ball.

Comment

• Stupid romo, cut em cutem

Comment

• Some points...

- I think that we still need a FS. Even if Watkins has potential, why he comes out in the nickel packages? And Nate Jones come in.
                        Roy is good, in what he do, he's one of the best in the league. But this season he's not doing what he should do, he's playing deep. He lives in the line of scrimmage, when he's able to play here he's a badass.
                        So we need a FS who can cover a lot of field, someone with good recovery speed. And you have the answer: Nelson or Griffin. I bet we could pick one of them at #22. Remember last year, safeties are not elite, they fall in the draft.
                        I would love Griffin, he's a texas guy, he got the speed and he can recover.. His pick last year in the rose bowl was SWEET.

- Pass Rush. We need a NT. Ferguson is goo, but he ain't Williams, he ain't Wilfork. But there aren't this type of players in this year draft, maybe we should trade up to pick Alan Branch.
                        I believe if we find a mammoth NT we'll get a ton more of sack

- Pass Rush 2. We should pick someone like Mark Anderson later in the draft. An hybrid DE/OLB who can play 10-15 snaps a game and burst through the line.

- OL. While rusty, Flozell is still reliable. While his pass blocking abilities have regressed, you can run behind him all day. We need a G to replace Rivera, someone who can push, because Gurode is doing a great job and he needs help. There are a lot of good guards in the draft, and I want Steinbach from the FA market. Kosier isn't bad, but we need another guard to kick some asses

- WR. I like Austin, but I want a big receiverto develope under TO or a speedy guy to develope under Glenn. So I want Buster Davis or Dwayne Bowe. I know Bill would love to pick one of them, he always pick someone from LSU. Now that Meachaem and Rice have both declared, Bowe and Davis are both 2 rounders (Davis maybe 3rd). We should pick one of them

So, we need to pick the BPA, no matter what. Looking at the first 2 rounds I'll do something like that:

1 - Blalock, Griffin, Rice/Jarrett/Samardzjia, Hughes
                        2 - Bowe/Davis, Ramirez/Duckworth

Blalock is the only OL I would pick in the first...

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

Originally posted by BX
                          Don't crap on Carolina because they underperformed this season. They're still a dangerous team, and I expect them to bounce back next season.

I'll crap on Carolina all I want until they get a real QB.
                          Also the Panthers Defense were MAJOR underachievers this season. Not to mention another denfense :roll:

I put up with Roy Williams and gave him a mulligan on almost every coverage mistake, not anymore, :evil: Roy Williams :evil: is in my (and im sure most Cowboy fans') doghouse!

Comment

Petrino to ATL.

Bonus are amotized over length of contract. Got bonuses from internet. This past year's pro-rata share went to this past year contract

If cut before June 1 then you take entire bonus to following year cap.

No depending on how contract works could be very different. With escalators in salary, etc.

I am sure the results are different. Dunno by how much,

Comment

• Originally posted by Modano
                              Some points...

- I think that we still need a FS. Even if Watkins has potential, why he comes out in the nickel packages? And Nate Jones come in.
                              Roy is good, in what he do, he's one of the best in the league. But this season he's not doing what he should do, he's playing deep. He lives in the line of scrimmage, when he's able to play here he's a badass.
                              So we need a FS who can cover a lot of field, someone with good recovery speed. And you have the answer: Nelson or Griffin. I bet we could pick one of them at #22. Remember last year, safeties are not elite, they fall in the draft.

I would love Griffin, he's a texas guy, he got the speed and he can recover.. His pick last year in the rose bowl was SWEET.

- Pass Rush. We need a NT. Ferguson is goo, but he ain't Williams, he ain't Wilfork. But there aren't this type of players in this year draft, maybe we should trade up to pick Alan Branch.
                              I believe if we find a mammoth NT we'll get a ton more of sack

- Pass Rush 2. We should pick someone like Mark Anderson later in the draft. An hybrid DE/OLB who can play 10-15 snaps a game and burst through the line.

- OL. While rusty, Flozell is still reliable. While his pass blocking abilities have regressed, you can run behind him all day. We need a G to replace Rivera, someone who can push, because Gurode is doing a great job and he needs help. There are a lot of good guards in the draft, and I want Steinbach from the FA market. Kosier isn't bad, but we need another guard to kick some asses

- WR. I like Austin, but I want a big receiverto develope under TO or a speedy guy to develope under Glenn. So I want Buster Davis or Dwayne Bowe. I know Bill would love to pick one of them, he always pick someone from LSU. Now that Meachaem and Rice have both declared, Bowe and Davis are both 2 rounders (Davis maybe 3rd). We should pick one of them

So, we need to pick the BPA, no matter what. Looking at the first 2 rounds I'll do something like that:

1 - Blalock, Griffin, Rice/Jarrett/Samardzjia, Hughes
                              2 - Bowe/Davis, Ramirez/Duckworth

Blalock is the only OL I would pick in the first...
                              So, you are saying Roy is not a Safety. He is a linebacker.

Kind of sad the GM and Fans got it after his record setting 11MM signing bonus. The emperor has no clothes.

I still don't understand the Jerry Jones contract here b/c anyone with eyesight could see his substantive handicaps..

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboysforever
                                Originally posted by Staubach12
                                Petrino to ATL.

Bonus are amotized over length of contract. Got bonuses from internet. This past year's pro-rata share went to this past year contract

If cut before June 1 then you take entire bonus to following year cap.

No depending on how contract works could be very different. With escalators in salary, etc.

I am sure the results are different. Dunno by how much,
                                Lemme give you an example from the TO contract. TO Contract was 3 years for $25MM. 10MM sign on and 15 over 3. S/L Method = Base of 5MM per and 3.33MM in bonus per. 8.33 per year. So if you cut after Year 1 then Year 2 must take 66% of 10MM bonus to dead cap. 6.66MM.

BUT I THINK if same contract base Year 1 = 3MM, Year 2= 5MM and Year 3 = 7 ...... then I think you can amortize the bonus as follows after year 1 = 10MM - Year 1 Bonus Allocation (8.33 - 3MM base) = $4.67MM ....

Just a simple alegebra with complex rules.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information