X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jdallas
    Originally posted by nrcirc
    Should we claim this FB from Cin since we have at least 1 open spot?

http://www.bengals.com/team/player.asp?player_id=104
    I'm not sure why we would. Hoyte has been playing well so far and is still learning. The FB isn't a key part in the offense so I don't know why you would want two of them. It doesn't make much sense, but I am interested in seeing who we pick up.
    Do you think he can run with the ball? Maybe not. We need some sort of insurance after JJ and MB3. Well, I love to pick up a big DT too. But I don't see anyone available.

Comment

• I can't find the site that I found earlier that said 4.45, but I guess I'll concede to you on that. Going into this discussion I didn't know what kind of timed speed Wayne had and when I did a search that's what came up.

You said yourself that they use Harrison on short drag routes, that sounds like the type of thing that Henry excells at defending to me. They haven't used Harrison as much of a deep threat this season, but I'll agree he could probably do it if they wanted. I would rather have my FS deep if they start using Harrisons deep threat to their advantage because they haven't shown it much yet and I wouldn't want to waste Newman there.

I really think that I'm right in the way I would use the secondary, but I don't think the Cowboys will do it. If the Cowboys try it over the course of the game and it doesn't work I'll concede I'm wrong, but I probably won't ever do that unless I see it fail over the course of a game.

Desings by D-Unit

Comment

• Originally posted by nrcirc
        Originally posted by Jdallas
        Originally posted by nrcirc
        Should we claim this FB from Cin since we have at least 1 open spot?

http://www.bengals.com/team/player.asp?player_id=104
        I'm not sure why we would. Hoyte has been playing well so far and is still learning. The FB isn't a key part in the offense so I don't know why you would want two of them. It doesn't make much sense, but I am interested in seeing who we pick up.
        Do you think he can run with the ball? Maybe not. We need some sort of insurance after JJ and MB3. Well, I love to pick up a big DT too. But I don't see anyone available.
        Well right now I'm not too worried about insurance. I've never been a fan of Kincade, but I would trust him to finish out a game because he knows the offense. If Jones or Barber were going to be out an extended period of time I would look into finding another guy, but until then I wouldn't look for a new guy to bring in unless I saw something in him for the future. It seems pretty resonable to me that we could keep the RBs we have now for a long time and be very happy with them.

I agree that there really aren't any NTs out there and that's why I'm interested in seeing who we pick up. I really have no idea right now and maybe you are right about RB.

Desings by D-Unit

Comment

• We resigned Polite. Parcells said he's looking for another LB. He's also worried about TE and NT.

I still don't like the Polite move, I'll feel better about it if we don't use an active roster spot on him. I think it's a waste of space to bring 5 guys in the backfield on gameday.

Desings by D-Unit

Comment

• i believe newmans game count of not giving up a touchdown is up to 27 consecutive games but i cant find any hard evidence.

Anyone have a link to something that provides reliable information on touchdowns given up by db's? My roomates dont believe me about Newman and i would also like to see how other big name db's such as hall, bailey, and mcallister match up to newman in the category... Im also interested in seeing henrys stats in this area.

Comment

• My personal opinion is that any coach can take a player out of the game. I also think that it makes more sense to DOUBLE Harrison and leave Newman on Wayne. By and large, I prefer to maximize the advantage that Newman has over a #2 receiver than to 'cancel' it out against a strong #1 receiver.

That being said, Newman will most likely be on Harrison anyway because Harrison lines up as the Flanker almost exclusively while Wayne is the Split End almost exclusively. The Colts almost always have the same alignment. The Cowboys almost always have Newman as the left CB with Henry as the Right CB. Typically though, Newman goes inside in the Nickle, and if they continue to do that, Harrison will have a field day while Stokely will be shut out.

The whole game will be about match ups on the outside. But if our LB's don't do a good job in coverage it will be a very long day.

The longer the game goes on that the Cowboys are tied / leading / down by 7pts or less the better off. Speed wins early, size wins late. We have the size, they have the speed. We need to withstand the early part of the game to begin imposing our will on them in the later portion.

Designs by Thule

Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
              I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.

Comment

• Does anyone else think that we should start giving Ware more opportunities on the strong side? If we start utilizing him on both sides of the field, we should be able to create better match ups... no?

Comment

• I do. I think it's too easy for the opponent to gameplan for Ware knowing he's coming from the weak side. Besides, I'd like to see what he can do moved around.

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
                  Albert Camus

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit
                    Does anyone else think that we should start giving Ware more opportunities on the strong side? If we start utilizing him on both sides of the field, we should be able to create better match ups... no?
                    Give me an example. I'm having trouble visualizing how this would work.

Desings by D-Unit

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit
                      Does anyone else think that we should start giving Ware more opportunities on the strong side? If we start utilizing him on both sides of the field, we should be able to create better match ups... no?
                      Well I'm pretty sure Joey Porter is used interchangeably on both sides. I may be oversimplifying the idea, but it would seem beneficial for our Defense if we could confuse offenses by aligning Ware in different spots and taking advantage of mismatches. It wouldn't work if he wasn't effective, but I'd like to give him a chance to show what he could do on the Strong side. He seems to have the right combination of size and skills to do it. Last year it might've been wrong to try it, but with his weight gain, ever growing experience, and Ellis' injury, this year might be a good time to try it.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit
                        Originally posted by Jdallas
                        Originally posted by D-Unit
                        Well I'm pretty sure Joey Porter is used interchangeably on both sides. I may be oversimplifying the idea, but it would seem beneficial for our Defense if we could confuse offenses by aligning Ware in different spots and taking advantage of mismatches. It wouldn't work if he wasn't effective, but I'd like to give him a chance to show what he could do on the Strong side. He seems to have the right combination of size and skills to do it. Last year it might've been wrong to try it, but with his weight gain, ever growing experience, and Ellis' injury, this year might be a good time to try it.
                        I'm sure he could play on the strong side. Do you mean just switching with Carpenter/whoever is playing the other side? Or do you mean subbing in Burnett? Do you mean for a play or too or for an extended period of time?

I think it could be an effective way of giving players a break and getting new guys playing time. Maybe make some special packages out of moving him around.

I don't like the idea against the Colts because of how structured their offense is, but I could see it against other teams I guess. It still might be a little much to give to this defense in it's second year of transitioning, maybe not.

Desings by D-Unit

Comment

• i hate to double post, but no one has found any source that cites the number of touchdowns each DB has given up?

Comment

• Originally posted by Burns336
                            i hate to double post, but no one has found any source that cites the number of touchdowns each DB has given up?
                            I don't think a site like that exists. The big problem is that nobody other than the coaches can really know for sure who the responsibility of each TD goes to. Only the coach could really make a site like that with the correct numbers and it wouldn't make much sense for him to do something like that to his players.

Desings by D-Unit

Comment

Originally posted by Burns336
                              i hate to double post, but no one has found any source that cites the number of touchdowns each DB has given up?
                              I don't think a site like that exists. The big problem is that nobody other than the coaches can really know for sure who the responsibility of each TD goes to. Only the coach could really make a site like that with the correct numbers and it wouldn't make much sense for him to do something like that to his players.
                              Yeah, I couldn't imagine Parcells typing away on a computer. Not even sure if he knows what a computer is.

Comment

• there has to be some way of tracking it doesnt there? On espn's all indespensible team that says Newman is the only corner who hasnt givne up a td since 04 had to find out somehow, right? Ive been keep track since that came out and he's shut down plax, steve smith, randle el, and whoever else hes been up against.

I also read somehwere else (wish i would of saved the link so i could show you guys) that newman is only thrown at something like 4.9 times per game which is lowest in the league. In comparrison to Deion, he had a career average of only 2.1 times per game, which is amazing. I always though of Deion as amazing but having only 2 passes thrown your way a game over an entire career for a 2 sport athlete is out of this world.

If any of you are wondering, no i am not like balaskoins, but i first started paying attention to drafting, stats and percentages after we drafted roy williams. Before that i was a little too young to appreciate those types of things. SO i am really interested in finding a site where i can watch the progress of all the big name DB's in the league just to see how they match up to their hype.

I like players like Newman, Mcallister, Bailey (told t-new "ill see you in hawaii"), Bodden (he actually got chad johnsons respect which is a feat in itself) Clements, and a few others that im not ready to make a concrete judgement on yet.

Notice i left Hall off of the list. Ive seen him get beat down by the likes of T.O. and others, and i think anyone who needs to talk that much and use a white board to make a plea to get sent to the pro bowl is a loser. I think his ego actually effects his play. Once he gets beat hes more worried about it being on sports center than the upcoming play.He gets his picks, but any respectable "analyst" knows that is decieving. Tory James and Deltha O'neal anyone?

Anyways, if anyone can come across any hard evidence about td's given up, post a link.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information