This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Poet3334
    If I had to give it a grade so far it would be an incomplete. There are too many unknown variables to grade it properly. Carpenter has barely gotten on the field, and when he does he doesn't distinguish himself. Skyler was cut then brought back, and he's not showing the burst he showed at LSU. Watkins has taken his lumps. Hatcher, who I wish would get more run, as vast potential.
    In his press conference today Parcells said he wants to start using Hatcher to give Ware some relief in the nickel. For how much everyone hated him when he was picked, I think Hatcher has really come along nicely.

Desings by D-Unit

Comment

Sweet Jesus, I actually took time out of my day to get caught up on the Cowboys thread.

Now it's all gone. Jesus.

Comment

We're trying to get it back to its lofty status.

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
        Albert Camus

Comment

Won't happen at this rate.

Comment

Originally posted by BX
            Won't happen at this rate.
            It's slow today, but I wouldn't worry about it. Once something worth discussing comes up this thread can get close to 10 pages in a day.

Do you guys think Coleman is going to turn it around at FS or we will bring Watkins back after the Indy game?

With how Coleman played last year I don't think he's going to be able to handle the job and if we can get the same production out of Watkins we might as well have him get some experience. He was in position a lot of the time he just seemed to have trouble finding/attacking the ball. I think he would also be better just playing on the nickel like most of us thought during training camp. He's just a rookie so don't give him too much at once, plus Davis is a good run stopping FS.

Desings by D-Unit

Comment

I really think Watkins could be the future for us at FS. He just really lacks experience, and it does look like he is playing hard. He really looked as if he was upset with himself during that Philly game when he gave up those big plays, so he knows he could play better. So I wouldn't mine seeing him out there again. Plus it's not everyday you find a 6'5 free safety who runs in the 4.40's

Comment

I'm torn at FS. I need to see more of Watkins, and then I'll be ready to say if we have a FS. The first few games, Watkins looked good, then a few bad games. He has the tools, but the mental aspect of the game is huge, and I need to see him play more to know if he has an NFL mind. About Davis, I know he's a good runstopping FS, but that is NOT what we need. We need a cover guy. For me, it's all about complimenting Roy Williams, and we need to have a guy back there that can cover like a corner.

BoneKrusher

Comment

PS

Guys, we need to keep this thread up. We need to dominate the team threads like we used to. Let's get it done.

BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by Staubach12
                    I'm torn at FS. I need to see more of Watkins, and then I'll be ready to say if we have a FS. The first few games, Watkins looked good, then a few bad games. He has the tools, but the mental aspect of the game is huge, and I need to see him play more to know if he has an NFL mind. About Davis, I know he's a good runstopping FS, but that is NOT what we need. We need a cover guy. For me, it's all about complimenting Roy Williams, and we need to have a guy back there that can cover like a corner.
                    Keep an eye on a player like Dashon Goldson CB/FS for Washington. If Pat Watkins shows signs that he can be our future at Free Safety but doesnt make it totally clear than we should draft a mid round player like Goldson the guy is a solid cover player and can play either Cornerback of Free Safety which is a valuable thing in my opinion. If Watkins doesnt show signs of improvement by the end of the year than we probably should look at drafting a Free Safety early. Either way I think we should draft a free safety. Im a huge fan of Goldson...
                    Whats up buttercup!

Comment

I still have hopes for Watkins.

just trying to get our post count up, were getting beat by the RAIDERS!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pokeys
                        Keep an eye on a player like Dashon Goldson CB/FS for Washington. If Pat Watkins shows signs that he can be our future at Free Safety but doesnt make it totally clear than we should draft a mid round player like Goldson the guy is a solid cover player and can play either Cornerback of Free Safety which is a valuable thing in my opinion. If Watkins doesnt show signs of improvement by the end of the year than we probably should look at drafting a Free Safety early. Either way I think we should draft a free safety. Im a huge fan of Goldson...
                        I don't think we should look FS in the middle rounds. We did that, and we have Watkins. If Watkins doesn't work out, it needs to be an early pick. That being said, I'm not going to be so quick to write Watkins off. I think he needs another year. So I say wait one more year to see if Watkins works out, if not, we should nab a FS in an early round in '08.

BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by Pokeys
                          I don't think we should look FS in the middle rounds. We did that, and we have Watkins. If Watkins doesn't work out, it needs to be an early pick. That being said, I'm not going to be so quick to write Watkins off. I think he needs another year. So I say wait one more year to see if Watkins works out, if not, we should nab a FS in an early round in '08.
                          Yeah thats pretty much what I said. Why would it be such a bad thing drafting a FS/CB in the middle rounds if we didnt know what Watkins may become. And then in the following year if we know for a fact that he isnt the answer well than we can go top FS in 08 and move Watkins to backup FS and Goldson to cornerback in a position where we are lacking some youth.
                          Whats up buttercup!

Comment

No one should write off any player in the NFL after 1 year. Regardless of the results.

Peyton Manning year 1 = 27 interceptions.
                            Aikman 0-11 record.

Etc.

Also, you can't grade a draft within 3 years. How many times have you seen a guy that comes in his rookie year to dominate, only to have a sophmore slump? It happens all the time. The bottom line is that in year 3 is when you know if a guy can play or not, regardless of the position. I'll take the player that rides the pine the first year, contributes some the second and has a solid 3rd year over a guy that does well in year 1, gets worse in year 2 and shows no improvement in year 3. I'll the first guy all day long.

Designs by Thule

Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
                            I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.

Comment

Well let's just say i did the grading on based immediate and helpful impact then.

Comment

Originally posted by LSUALUM99
                                No one should write off any player in the NFL after 1 year. Regardless of the results.

Peyton Manning year 1 = 27 interceptions.
                                Aikman 0-11 record.

Etc.

Also, you can't grade a draft within 3 years. How many times have you seen a guy that comes in his rookie year to dominate, only to have a sophmore slump? It happens all the time. The bottom line is that in year 3 is when you know if a guy can play or not, regardless of the position. I'll take the player that rides the pine the first year, contributes some the second and has a solid 3rd year over a guy that does well in year 1, gets worse in year 2 and shows no improvement in year 3. I'll the first guy all day long.
                                Thats exactly true. People now a days seem so eager to write of players and call them busts and what not because they havent had a huge impact or such. I mean alot of people are calling Carpenter a bust which is pretty ********. Give it 3 years before you call them a bust, but you can tell if they are making improvements or not and thats the big thing.
                                Whats up buttercup!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information