This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• http://theboysblog.com/2007/01/16/wh...worth-part-ii/

Another good reading.. These are exactly my thoughts: we need a good FS (and I'm not confidente in Watkins, i've already explained why) and we need a good rush from the line. Our LBs are fine..

On offense we just need to resign Gurode, pick a guard and maybe a T. D, why are you so high on Dockery? I've heard from Redskins' fans that he's the worst starter on their line.. I'd like to pick Steinbach or Dielman. We can adress OG in the FA, and maybe spend a later pick in the draft if a good guy fall to the third/fourth round..

About the draft we should go BPA in the first round. I think we must pick FS, OL, CB/WR and maybe some help for the d-line. In round one we'll be able to pick a premiere FS, Griffin or Nelson would be avaible for sure and for me that's the perfect pick. We need another Woody badly. But I will be happy with someone like Blalock, Brown or a top WR if he fall..
    In the second we should grab an OL or once again a WR if someone fall. I'm confident in our young DEs, I think that with good coaching they can play really better, but if we draft someone like Alama-Francis in the second I won't be upset..
    In the third we should go for CB, leaving the second day only to pick the BPA in every round..

Right now this are my rankings for the Cowboys draft (assuming that Landry would be out of reach):

1. Reggie Nelson
    2. Michael Griffin
    3. Justin Blalock
    4. Levi Brown
    5. Sidney Rice
    6. Dwayne Bowe
    7. Daymon Hughes
    8. Manuel Ramirez
    9. Josh Beekman
    10. Craig Davis
    11. Alama-Francis

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

• an option that i dont think any of us have thought about yet is moving ellis back to DE. If carpenter plays like he did in the play off game ellis could be part of our D line rotation and add's great versatility in the sense that he can drop back into coverage as a DE when needed. I think we need to try and get reggie nelson in the first, and if not we need a speed rush guy. We need more defense and more pressure, that was what our team really lacked this past year. We should just put ellis back on the line and we would really have an awsome core of LB's, OLB tweeners, and a solid D-line rotation.

another option i would be happy with is drafting a cb in the first if Henry is moved to FS and we put ellis back in the d line rotation

Comment

• Whew so many topics of discussion. I'm often busy on weekends...so thats why I haven't been around.

Anyways...

The Roy discussion went on a lot...kinda glad I missed it.
        I really loved LSU's breakdown. If it costs 5.5 mill to keep him or 5.5 mill to get rid of him...what do you gain from his cut? Nothing...plain and simple.

I'm gonna do a quick breakdown of our defense.
        total defense
        • 13th ypg 322.8
          27th 3rd% 43.9%
        Passing Defense
        • 15th att 511
          23rd ypg 219.1
          29th td 25
          21st sack 34
        Rushing Defense
        • 10th yds/g 103.7
          9th att 429
          7th avg 3.9
          11th td 12
          8th fd 88
          3rd 20+ 5
        Recieving Defense
        • 24th yds/g 233.1
          31st avg 12.4
          28th td 25
          21st fd 179
          17th 20+ 43
          29th 40+ 14

Dallas was 15th in the league on turnover diff.. with +1

We seem to have a couple of places to work on.
        • 3rd down defense
          passing average
          passing td
          pressure
          passing fd
          big passing plays

Here are just my ideas on the problems.
        3rd down defense
        I don't have an exact breakdown on passing to rushing % but I can use FD's to get an idea...we are 8th in rushing FD and 21st in passing FD. That leads me to believe its easy to pick up a FD while passing. How do we fix it...well maybe Newman in the slot isn't such a great idea...I will use this example.
        In the detriot game you would commonly see Roy Williams in motion working to get off henry or newman and get Glenn in coverage...if at all possible on Roy's side. This isn't hard since we play straight up defense every play. You can't ever expect Glenn to match up one on one with Roy...thus he was abused.
        Now if Newman was assigned to shut down their best WR...such as he is asked to do when playing a guy like steve smith then this becomes less of a problem...and teams will stop trying to exploit this.

Passing Average
        Well this has to be inflated inpart due to our 40+ numbers we have. But again this has to do with our over the top coverage. What do we do about it....well my idea is let Newman play on an island with occasional over-the-top help and sit out FS over the top of Henry. When in nickel...allow whoever the weak/more difficult task help with the SS. The LB's become responsible for the TE/RB/WR and whatever the biggest task let the SS help down.

Which is where playing a Rover in the nickle would help so much...not only is he not 12 yards off the ball he is more in the 8-10 yard range...but he can used to A) blitz and get there faster or b) allow the LB to fake blitz and jam the TE early off the line knowing his over-the-top help is only 6 yards behind him. If we do blitz the LB...he is close enough to the line to either jump the quick route...but force the QB to wait...thus getting to the QB.

This is the perfect place for Roy...it gives him the choice to blitz or play double on a tough assignment for the LB. It allows him to be removed from his deep cover 2 responsibilities...and lets him be more active.

This puts tremendous pressure on Newman...because if he is beat he has little to no help...depend on how far away our FS is...but bottomline is...he is a top 3 CB in the league...he can match up on w/e reciever he wants. Worse comes to worse...he mans up on the number 2 WR in nickle sets..which allows Henry to man up on the #1 with over the top help.

Passing TD's
        Well this has alot to do with Roy again. With the TE's in our division I want Watkins on the TE inside the redzone...sure he can get abused..but if he gets stiffarmed its almost a TD anyways. He can match up one on one against any TD and have the jump ball advantage. Both Henry and Newman are good redzone corners...Glenn has no business being matched up against a tall WR...if this ever happens its the scheme fault for allowing the TD...glenn is a good corner but just doesn't have the size to man up against the big guys.

Pressure
        This is another part of it...we are 21st in sacks. Sure alot of this can come down to Ellis being out...to Hatcher being raw...but between the two and Ware we don't have alot. This is another reason why having Roy as the Rover would help our defense. His ability to get to the QB is just as good as any of those guys...I really think that Hatcher is our most well-rounded pressure player which is crazy to think of. Personally I don't care how soft our 3rd and long DL is...I want pressure pressure pressure. If that means having Ware/Ratliff/Hatcher/Ellis so be it. I loved how Hatcher performed on the outside this year...but he isn't better then Ellis and Ware yet. Ellis is in his last year here so Hatcher will get his time.

Comment

• Carpenters Development
          This has also been a debate going on here. I'm sure we all remember our needs in the past offseason...and I think most would have SOLB as one of the top 2. So the Carpenter pick made so much sense to us.

No TC starts and what happens...Bill pulls out a great moves and successfully converts Ellis into a backer. Who would have ever thought it would happen. So now we have a decision...what to do with Carp. Well Carp at this point was thriving in the nickle...and was 1st line with Burnett at one point. Then came his move to the inside....he was not going to be playing SOLB at his size this year...but his coverage abililties and his sideline to sideline speed really fit at WILB. So he made the switch after showing great ability. He started third string and quickly advanced to second string. But this switch caused bill to lower him in the nickle defense...for being scared of overloading the poor kid.

So now we have a player that is 3rd string SOLB 2nd string ILB in the nickle and base D. Not only this...we are also giving him some time at RDE in the nickle. So needless to say you can't see many rookies able to conprehend all of that.

Then preseason starts...Carp really shows nothing...the occasional tackle but no glimpse of what he really has...seems lost out there sometimes and seems to be just a couple seconds to late on his reads.

Well as the year goes along his playing time is minimal. Obviously working at that playbook learning the ins and outs of WILB. Well then the worse thing that could ever happen is Ellis goes down...we are left with Singleton at SOLB...who has terrible pass coverage abilities as well as rush abilities. Now wat? Well we have no other choice but to bring Carp over...bill didn't even want to do this...he actually had Glypmh at #2 on the depth chart at this point at SOLB.

Well after a couple weeks we really that this no passrush is really affecting out team and decide we are left with no other option but to force SOLB on carp again. Now he has been working on this a little bit through the season i'm sure...but I have a feeling if we divided up his work out it would be something like 50% WILB 35% Nickle 15% SOLB...now obviously these aren't exact numbers...but based off TC and preseason I think its safe to say ILB was his #1 priority to learn nickle #2 and SOLB #3. It's almost like how you break up the snaps with your 3 qbs for example.

Well anyways with the switch...he drops everything else and goes 100% into SOLB...if we notice...even when he first started playing he was getting very little playing time...and when he was he seemed to show good passrushing moves(which were natural had them all at osu) and good technique disengaging blocks(also natural) but we saw him doing everything just a half a second late. How many times did he engage a blocker on the outside and disengage to be just a half second too late to make the stop at the LOS. I bet its in the double digits in his few series he got to play.

Anyways...each week he progressed..and come the playoffs we got just a small glimpse of what he will become. He played lights out when in the game. But now we are in the same position....what exactly do we do...Ellis is coming back..and if he does recover 100% to what he was last year he will likely be the starter.

Well here is my solution to the whole offseason matter.

First off scratch WILB from his playbook at this point. My reasoning is...that when he was studying it he was tryign to find a spot to contribute for 2 years...now he only is a at most year away from being the starter at SOLB (ellis is on his last year now).

Next up...do everything we can to make him our starter opposite Burnett. or starter if we implement my rover idea. This will give him close to 40-50% of the snaps on defense. Now I don't have the exact numbers from this year...but in 2005 our first year in the 3-4 we ran a nickle defense about 50% of the time. Using that idea he would see about that many snaps on defense. Not only this...but depending on how Ellis is playing...he could see a fair share of snaps at SOLB as well depending on matchups and giving breathers.

One thing to remember about the end of the year is that Parcells was worried about the number of snaps alot of his LBers were given. Well I don't think Akin was one of the being he didn't play the nickle...and I'm sure Ware was...but he is too much of a playemaker to be sat. Which leaves Brady and SOLB...well if Brady is no longer playing in the nickle he won't be getting as much work...and if Ellis and Carp can work SOLB on like a 75-25% ratio they should have about the right number of snaps aswell. It could even get closer as the year goes on and the older player needs more rest...to 50:50 since both would be starting in the nickle.

These are my ideas on Carpenter...and I see no reason why this would not work.

Comment

• After getting all that off of my chest I would like to switch over to the offensive side of the ball.

Total Offense
            • 5th ypg 260.8
              2nd 3rd% 48.8
              30th Pen 100
              10th TOP 31:02

Passing Offense
            • 20th att/g 31.6
              14th pct 61.3
              5th yrd/g 239.8
              5th td 26
              25th int 21
              29th sack 37

Rushing Offense
            • 12th att/g 29.5
              13th yds/g 121.0
              14th avg 4.1
              3rd td 21
              9th fd 109
              14th 20+ 10

Recieving Offense
            • 6th yds/g 254.2
              2nd avg 13.1
              5th td 25
              7th fd 197
              5th 20+ 56
              4th 40+ 12

I think its fairly easy to see we have a good offense. If there is anything to complain about its the INTs and Sacks and Penalties. I think alot of this has to do with pass protection. Most int's this year came from the qb falling back or not able to step in. Sacks were either jail break or qb holding on to the ball to long. Penalties just showed our lack of disipline.

The great thing about this is that its all teachable. The main thing as I've said before here...is bringing in a young savy guy in his prime 26-29 with experience and leadership...to help our offensive line point out blocking assignments and what not. OG will be addressed some day on draft day...but we wont' be drafting on to start imo. My favorite thought is to get a mauler to pair next to flozell and move Koiser over to the right side. This makes the most sense...allow Koiser to pull and Columbo to block down...and have a dominate side to run behind to improve our FD and TDs. If we do bring in a FA OG...say goodbye to Rivera.

Not much more to be said on offense.

Comment

• I'm sure you all remember me ragging on JJ for being soft. How I wanted yac(yards after contact) information. Well I found a little bit of it...but YAC is hard to find for a rushing stat...so if anyone can find some more numbers let me know.
              • Team Name Att. Big Efforts Pct. +10-yard runs YAC Rec/TD
                DAL Jones 234 106 45.3 24 2.00 8/0
                DAL Barber 111 69 62.2 18 2.38 14/2

How many yards can a running back pick up after contact? The top-five backs in average yards after contact are all significantly better than the 2-yard after-contact average in the NFL. The top-10 NFL backs with a minimum of 150 carries that make something happen after the first tackler strikes are Gore, Travis Henry, Laurence Maroney, Taylor, Cadillac Williams, LaDainian Tomlinson, Westbrook, Chester Taylor, Kevin Jones and Tiki Barber in that order.

I think its safe to say that if there was a guy who was good with YAC...its AD. I don't think we have a shot...but if for some reason he falls past Houston...who takes him?ATL?Buff?Pitt?GB is the next team that really needs a running back...if AD makes it past Cleveland...who could go a million directions...and get past Houston..who might not value RB in the first round. I mean maybe houston in interested in JJ...idk all i know is that if AD falls out of the top 10 I want him for w/e it takes I mean we could trade up infront of GB with a first and a third...throw in a player if we want I think we could get up to 10. I'm not gonna be as bold as to project a trade...but a team like houston could be interested in JJ...ATL could be interested in ellis...now we have the zimmer connection...maybe guys like Burnett or w/e have value. Buffalo needs help in their front 7...so we have ammo there. Not sure we have anything for pitt..but thats pick #15 and wouldn't take much. I know its a pipe dream...but if he falls past 3 and 8...RB really isn't a need position in this draft.
              Adrian Peterson was at number three nationally with 1,925 rushing yards. The yards after contact were 1,365, 71% of Adrian Peterson’s net.
              I found a good site that really broke down running backs.
              Running Back Stats
              It uses some weird ways to break down running backs but I found one really interesting.
              DVOA - DVOA breaks down every single play of the NFL season to see how much success offensive players achieved in each specific situation compared to the league average in that situation, adjusted for the strength of the opponent.

What does this mean?
              On first down, a play is considered a success if it gains 45 percent of needed yards; on second down, a play needs to gain 60 percent of needed yards; on third or fourth down, only gaining a new first down is considered success.

There are other factors in this but you can read if you want all the info.

Using DVOA here is our backs.
              M.Barber is #2 overall with a 31.7% DVOA
              J. Jones is #28 overall with a -1.9% DVOA

Comment

• Q. Moses or Jarvis Moss?

Who would you pick up? And Why?

Comment

• Originally posted by jetBLACK08
                  Q. Moses or Jarvis Moss?

Who would you pick up? And Why?
                  Neither it would hinder the development on Carpenter...not only that it would also put them on the bench behind Ellis for a year...and I can't see them starting over ellis or hatcher or ware in the nickle...would be a waste of talent at this point.

Comment

• You can never have too many LBers in a 3-4

Comment

• Originally posted by jetBLACK08
                      You can never have too many LBers in a 3-4
                      When you have 4 first round picks in the LB corps plus a big time FA and a MLB who was just extended and a second rounder...I think its safe to say thats overdueing it.

Comment

• Originally posted by thule
                        I'm sure you all remember me ragging on JJ for being soft. How I wanted yac(yards after contact) information. Well I found a little bit of it...but YAC is hard to find for a rushing stat...so if anyone can find some more numbers let me know.
                        • Team Name Att. Big Efforts Pct. +10-yard runs YAC Rec/TD
                          DAL Jones 234 106 45.3 24 2.00 8/0
                          DAL Barber 111 69 62.2 18 2.38 14/2

How many yards can a running back pick up after contact? The top-five backs in average yards after contact are all significantly better than the 2-yard after-contact average in the NFL. The top-10 NFL backs with a minimum of 150 carries that make something happen after the first tackler strikes are Gore, Travis Henry, Laurence Maroney, Taylor, Cadillac Williams, LaDainian Tomlinson, Westbrook, Chester Taylor, Kevin Jones and Tiki Barber in that order.

I think its safe to say that if there was a guy who was good with YAC...its AD. I don't think we have a shot...but if for some reason he falls past Houston...who takes him?ATL?Buff?Pitt?GB is the next team that really needs a running back...if AD makes it past Cleveland...who could go a million directions...and get past Houston..who might not value RB in the first round. I mean maybe houston in interested in JJ...idk all i know is that if AD falls out of the top 10 I want him for w/e it takes I mean we could trade up infront of GB with a first and a third...throw in a player if we want I think we could get up to 10. I'm not gonna be as bold as to project a trade...but a team like houston could be interested in JJ...ATL could be interested in ellis...now we have the zimmer connection...maybe guys like Burnett or w/e have value. Buffalo needs help in their front 7...so we have ammo there. Not sure we have anything for pitt..but thats pick #15 and wouldn't take much. I know its a pipe dream...but if he falls past 3 and 8...RB really isn't a need position in this draft.
                        Adrian Peterson was at number three nationally with 1,925 rushing yards. The yards after contact were 1,365, 71% of Adrian Peterson’s net.
                        I found a good site that really broke down running backs.
                        Running Back Stats
                        It uses some weird ways to break down running backs but I found one really interesting.
                        DVOA - DVOA breaks down every single play of the NFL season to see how much success offensive players achieved in each specific situation compared to the league average in that situation, adjusted for the strength of the opponent.

What does this mean?
                        On first down, a play is considered a success if it gains 45 percent of needed yards; on second down, a play needs to gain 60 percent of needed yards; on third or fourth down, only gaining a new first down is considered success.

There are other factors in this but you can read if you want all the info.

Using DVOA here is our backs.
                        M.Barber is #2 overall with a 31.7% DVOA
                        J. Jones is #28 overall with a -1.9% DVOA
                        thule your reading my mind on a.d. i posted a few pages back that if he falls past 3 we call houston and offer our 1st ,3rd and j.j. for their 8th. idk if that would be enough but adding a.d to our team would be amazing. it would make our o-line better because he has great vision and speed and as you mentioned he gets yards when none are there. it makes our defense better because we are controlling the clock. i think this would be a great move.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Comment

• heres another article, this one by jean-jacques taylor on parcells.

No doubt exists in my mind that Bill Parcells will return to the Cowboys for a fifth season.

But for him to maximize the talent on this roster, he must change his approach. That won't be easy for a 65-year-old coach, but it's a necessity for Dallas to end its 10-year streak without a playoff victory.

Parcells believes that scheme, not players, wins games. That's why the Cowboys don't always seem to attack defensive weaknesses.

Look at the Seattle game. The Cowboys didn't attack their weak set of cornerbacks because Parcells wasn't sure Dallas could protect Romo, and he didn't want the game in Romo's hands.

That was a mistake.

The Bears couldn't possibly have a ton of confidence in inconsistent quarterback Rex Grossman, but they knew the best way to beat Seattle was to attack their secondary. Grossman threw for nearly 300 yards and the Bears won.

You can easily argue Dallas lost on a fluky play, but maybe they wouldn't have been in that position if they had attacked Seattle's secondary. Especially considering the passing game was the Cowboys' strength all season.

The Cowboys played the most simplistic, unimaginative 3-4 defense in the league. Parcells allowed that to happen because he thinks the scheme is good enough to win. The Cowboys, though, have players that are at their best when using speed and quickness. They need to be placed in position to succeed. Too many times, Parcells didn't allow that to happen.

what do you guys think? will parcells change or do we need a change?

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Comment

• Originally posted by pocketaces
                            heres another article, this one by jean-jacques taylor on parcells.

No doubt exists in my mind that Bill Parcells will return to the Cowboys for a fifth season.

But for him to maximize the talent on this roster, he must change his approach. That won't be easy for a 65-year-old coach, but it's a necessity for Dallas to end its 10-year streak without a playoff victory.

Parcells believes that scheme, not players, wins games. That's why the Cowboys don't always seem to attack defensive weaknesses.

Look at the Seattle game. The Cowboys didn't attack their weak set of cornerbacks because Parcells wasn't sure Dallas could protect Romo, and he didn't want the game in Romo's hands.

That was a mistake.

The Bears couldn't possibly have a ton of confidence in inconsistent quarterback Rex Grossman, but they knew the best way to beat Seattle was to attack their secondary. Grossman threw for nearly 300 yards and the Bears won.

You can easily argue Dallas lost on a fluky play, but maybe they wouldn't have been in that position if they had attacked Seattle's secondary. Especially considering the passing game was the Cowboys' strength all season.

The Cowboys played the most simplistic, unimaginative 3-4 defense in the league. Parcells allowed that to happen because he thinks the scheme is good enough to win. The Cowboys, though, have players that are at their best when using speed and quickness. They need to be placed in position to succeed. Too many times, Parcells didn't allow that to happen.

Parcells doesn't need to change his ways...we just need to execute.

Comment

• according to the article parcells isnt allowing his players to make plays. almost as if hes playing not to lose and not to win. we all know what that gets you- beat.

Comment

• Originally posted by pocketaces
                                heres another article, this one by jean-jacques taylor on parcells.

That was a mistake.

I said this long time ago.
                                Glad someone agrees.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information