Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bledsoe will assuredly either retire or be released when the new league year starts. His 2007 cap charge will be $5.17M if he is retained, but cutting him will cost only $667K, freeing up over $4.5M in cap room.

Comment

• Does anyone know how much money the Cowboys have to play around with?
      "Red Ball"

Comment

• Originally posted by CTCowboysFan
        Does anyone know how much money the Cowboys have to play around with?
        Somewhere in the neigborhood of 25 million. Nice neighborhood :)

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
        Albert Camus

Comment

• Probably $20-21M is more realistic once free agency starts, but cutting Bledsoe will free up another $4.5M, and there are other moves that could be made to free up much more.

While $25M seems like nice neighboorhood, keep in mind we have to try to sign Gurode and Culombo, who I think will demand much more than we think, as teams have tons of money to throw around this year. We also have to tender our RFA's and sign our draft picks.

As Jerry has seen marginal at best returns on the big money contracts he has given out over the last three years, I suspect the Cowboys will concentrate on lower tier guys this year. I hope they adopt a Patriot-Like strategy signing guys who can be productive role players instead of the big name huge salary guys.

Look at our big 2005 free agent class (Henry, Rivera, Fergy), who in 2007 will make up about $17M of our cap, and are very tough cuts because of the huge cap accelation due to their high bonuses. In fact if Rivera is cut or retires because of his back problems we will have to swallow a nearly $5M cap hit. Jerry simply has not had any luck with his big name contracts of late. I bet he's kicking himself for throwing big bonuses at guys like Henry, Rivera, Boiman, Vanderjagt, Hannam, and then paying a huge sum for a Safety who can't cover, and James who probably doesn't have the speed and coverage ability to be a 3 down linebacker in this league. Of course hindsight is always 20/20 but I bet at least for this season Jerry is extremly conservative.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdnoyes
            I bet he's kicking himself for throwing big bonuses at guys like Henry, Rivera, Boiman, Vanderjagt, Hannam, and then paying a huge sum for a Safety who can't cover, and James who probably doesn't have the speed and coverage ability to be a 3 down linebacker in this league. Of course hindsight is always 20/20 but I bet at least for this season Jerry is extremly conservative.
            You betcha. I hope he uses the Cap Space in 2007 to accelerate the amortization of some of those bad signing bonuses. I think you can do that instead of just spending it. We are talented enough next year to not over spend this year in a market awash in cap space.

Go Indy and Chicago.

Comment

• Is it me or are there a few aliases/posters that put up really long posts? They seem to travel in packs on this forum.

I am dreaming Dom Capers tonite. Belated XMas present.

Comment

• Originally posted by iameverywhere
                Is it me or are there a few aliases/posters that put up really long posts? They seem to travel in packs on this forum.

I am dreaming Dom Capers tonite. Belated XMas present.
                ????????

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
                Albert Camus

Comment

• Should be a decision tommorow....if Parcells is gone and Wade Phillips is hired I will committ football suicide.
                  "Red Ball"

Comment

• If Parcells is gone, we gotta take a 3-4 guru. I like both Capers and Philips..

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

• Looks like BP is gone. Thats what all the rumor mills are saying anyway. All his close friends, the coaching staff bolting out the door, etc all indicates it.

I said it in a thread in the NFL forum, after watching some old footage of BP, I just got the impression that the Dallas BP wasn't the same guy. He lost alot of his fiery demeanor, he wasn't in people's faces like he used to, he just seemed old and tired in Dallas.

He still did a great job, building up the program to respectability, but it just wasn't the same Bill Parcells that the Giants, Jets, and Patriots knew. This one was Bill Parcells lite. Im surprised he's leaving, I thought he wouldn't let this happen considering he has a good chance with this team next year, but I guess he's just too old and tired to keep going. He is 65, and thats very old for a coach.

Comment

• ProFootballTalk.com is reporting a contract extension.

http://profootballtalk.com/

Albert Camus

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense
                          Looks like BP is gone. Thats what all the rumor mills are saying anyway. All his close friends, the coaching staff bolting out the door, etc all indicates it.

I said it in a thread in the NFL forum, after watching some old footage of BP, I just got the impression that the Dallas BP wasn't the same guy. He lost alot of his fiery demeanor, he wasn't in people's faces like he used to, he just seemed old and tired in Dallas.

He still did a great job, building up the program to respectability, but it just wasn't the same Bill Parcells that the Giants, Jets, and Patriots knew. This one was Bill Parcells lite. Im surprised he's leaving, I thought he wouldn't let this happen considering he has a good chance with this team next year, but I guess he's just too old and tired to keep going. He is 65, and thats very old for a coach.
                          Not sure who the sources are but he is staying. With respect to watching old footage and drawig inferences it is not necessarily a strong predictor of future behavior in my mind.

With respect to the coaching changes, I think this is going to be a "double up" on coaching guys Parcells likes and wants. Lee was never going to be OC and got his shot to grow professionally. DeHaven was ok so no big loss. Zimmer was not a Parcells guy.

But hey, until it is in stone it is not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Modano
                            If Parcells is gone, we gotta take a 3-4 guru. I like both Capers and Philips..
                            A couple of points on Capers.

Apparently Capers is staying because Cameron will not mess with anything on the D.

Plus, I don't know if you saw the Cameron press conference. All I will say is he is not a South Florida coach and seems ill prepared for the task at hand. He honestly did not seem to very bright and was overwhelmed by the media. Capers may be just lurking in the wings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Poet3334
                              Originally posted by iameverywhere
                              Is it me or are there a few aliases/posters that put up really long posts? They seem to travel in packs on this forum.
                              Just an observation. Just look back over the blog. Certain aliases do post in packs. 12:31, 12:32, 12:33, etc....... The chances are low they are logged in at the same time unless they are one in the same.

For an example of normal posting just look at the last two pages. Time stamps are spread out.

Originally posted by Poet3334
                              Originally posted by iameverywhere
                              Is I am dreaming Dom Capers tonite. Belated XMas present.
                              ????????
                              Response on Capers below.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense
                                Looks like BP is gone. Thats what all the rumor mills are saying anyway. All his close friends, the coaching staff bolting out the door, etc all indicates it.

I agree man. Bill is a great coach don't get me wrong, and he got the Cowboys some great players but at this stage in his career he needs to go. At his age health starts to become an issueand he has to realize that.

That's also what Jerry Jones has to realize when thinking about hiring Wade Philips. The guy turns 60 years old this year!!!!???? How is that any different than Parcells. This guy is probably going to be on a yearly basis as well. I guarantee the most Philips gets if he becomes the Cowboys head coach is 2 years, which is just plain stupid.

Get me one of these young guns. An Urban Meyer, a Bob Stoops, a Josh McDaniels. Those types of coaches would be better suited for our job.
                                "Red Ball"

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information