X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CTCowboysFan
    Originally posted by M.O.T.H.
    What's with all the Bowles love? Do you really want our defense to resemble this years? What's the point of having another 4-3 coordinator trying to teach a 3-4 defense? Zimmer didnt know anything about the 3-4, there isnt a doubt in my mind that we have the pieces but, he didnt know what the hell he was doing. We need to get a 3-4 guy in here... pronto.
    The players relate to him, and I read a while ago that Terence said he knows that there needs to be changes and that you can't just stick with the base derfense all of the time.

I don't know I think he would be better than Zimmer, and I know for sure if Bowles is hired that Henry will move to free safety which would free us up to draft somebody like Leon Hall at 22 (like Thule says).
    I wouldn't get our hopes up for Hall...it would really require big jumps by juniors. Ross should be the top corner to target at 22.

Comment

• Originally posted by thule
      Well with all the reporting from the senior bowl done...I figured I would put out a guideline of what positions I feel we might fill based on the players value after the senior bowl.

Round One
      Leon Hall CB, Michigan/Aaron Ross CB, Texas
      Well there are a few other guys I like in the first round...but none would have solid value at 22. Hall and Ross are both very instinctive CB's with great footwork and ball skills. CB gives us great value where we are picking in the first round.
      Moving Down?
      There are lots of guys in the 30 range that fit our needs. Tony Ugoh/Tank Tyler/Joe Staley/Arron Sears are all sitting at late round one projections at this point...and all could come in and solve a position of need...but all would be reaches at 22...so a trade down could be possible.

Round Two
      Justin Blalock OG, Texas
      Blalock's stock was hurt a bit by the senior bowl. His height was knocked as was his pass blacking ability...but he also was stranded outside all week which is where his size was taken advantage of. He showed a good knee bend and a great punch. He would do great as our road grader on the left side next to Flozell. This would allow Koiser to go to the right side. This pick is seeming more possible the closer draft day comes.
      Other Options
      Marcus McCauley is another option that I really like here. He really showed that bright potential at the senior bowl. Although he is inconsistent he would really fit nicely...with the ability to be worked into a role. His build actually reminds me a lot of Tnew. Bowles is also a great DB coach so I really think this would be a good situation for him.

Round Three
      Brandon Meriweather DB, Miami
      This guy is a stud. I question whether or not he is really a thug...but he had a INT everyday during 11 on 11's if my memory serves me right. He can hit hard...which is surprising due to his size. The only knock on him this week is that he might not be big enough play safety full time. But playing for dallas really gives us a lot of options. With Henry versatile...it could allow him to move back. Meriweather showed good ball skills when man'd up one on one. I was really impressed with him this week...surprised Kiper only has him as a 3-4 rounder. If he is around in the third I will be praying for this pick.

Josh Wilson CB, Maryland
      Although he was burned on occasion here it was more due to the fact of no over the top coverage...and mental understanding of the game. He seemed a little raw in that area. He had a extra gear to be able to make up for lost ground...and he really didn't get to showcase that in 11 on 11's as it seemed he wasn't ever tested in that drill. I really think he played about as expected...and if we haven't addressed our secondary yet he is a great option with ability to contribute as a punt returner.

Rounds Four/Five
      The middle rounds seem to be more underclassmen heavy at this point of going over team needs. One guy that sticks out is
      Manuel Ramirez OG, Texas Tech
      Ramirez showed very coachable this week...really getting better as time went on. He played decent on 1 on 1's and was really only abused against the quicker inside rushers. Place him next to Gurode I really think that this won't be a huge issue. He dominated in the running game which is really something our offensive line could use.

Rounds Six/Seven
      The late rounds look to be really solid with small quick WR's.
      Brandon Myles WR, West Virgina/Johnnie Lee Higgins WR, UTEP
      Myles is my personal favorite after watching the senior bowl...he showed sure hands and quick in and out of his breaks. Didn't get to see any open field moves...but he looked good this week.
      Higgins was much the same...except he appeared to be more quick whereas Myles was more polished in route running.
      If in someway magical way we could get a draft like that, I would be elated. Leon Hall and Merriweather would improve our Secondary by leaps and bounds. I've been a Blalock and Man Rameriez Supporter for freaking ever, so I definitely love that. But I would take Jacoby Jones over those WR. But even saying that, it's hard to believe we could get a draft like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul
        Originally posted by thule
        Well with all the reporting from the senior bowl done...I figured I would put out a guideline of what positions I feel we might fill based on the players value after the senior bowl.

Round One
        Well there are a few other guys I like in the first round...but none would have solid value at 22. Hall and Ross are both very instinctive CB's with great footwork and ball skills. CB gives us great value where we are picking in the first round.
        Moving Down?
        There are lots of guys in the 30 range that fit our needs. Tony Ugoh/Tank Tyler/Joe Staley/Arron Sears are all sitting at late round one projections at this point...and all could come in and solve a position of need...but all would be reaches at 22...so a trade down could be possible.

Round Two
        Justin Blalock OG, Texas
        Blalock's stock was hurt a bit by the senior bowl. His height was knocked as was his pass blacking ability...but he also was stranded outside all week which is where his size was taken advantage of. He showed a good knee bend and a great punch. He would do great as our road grader on the left side next to Flozell. This would allow Koiser to go to the right side. This pick is seeming more possible the closer draft day comes.
        Other Options
        Marcus McCauley is another option that I really like here. He really showed that bright potential at the senior bowl. Although he is inconsistent he would really fit nicely...with the ability to be worked into a role. His build actually reminds me a lot of Tnew. Bowles is also a great DB coach so I really think this would be a good situation for him.

Round Three
        This guy is a stud. I question whether or not he is really a thug...but he had a INT everyday during 11 on 11's if my memory serves me right. He can hit hard...which is surprising due to his size. The only knock on him this week is that he might not be big enough play safety full time. But playing for dallas really gives us a lot of options. With Henry versatile...it could allow him to move back. Meriweather showed good ball skills when man'd up one on one. I was really impressed with him this week...surprised Kiper only has him as a 3-4 rounder. If he is around in the third I will be praying for this pick.

Josh Wilson CB, Maryland
        Although he was burned on occasion here it was more due to the fact of no over the top coverage...and mental understanding of the game. He seemed a little raw in that area. He had a extra gear to be able to make up for lost ground...and he really didn't get to showcase that in 11 on 11's as it seemed he wasn't ever tested in that drill. I really think he played about as expected...and if we haven't addressed our secondary yet he is a great option with ability to contribute as a punt returner.

Rounds Four/Five
        The middle rounds seem to be more underclassmen heavy at this point of going over team needs. One guy that sticks out is
        Ramirez showed very coachable this week...really getting better as time went on. He played decent on 1 on 1's and was really only abused against the quicker inside rushers. Place him next to Gurode I really think that this won't be a huge issue. He dominated in the running game which is really something our offensive line could use.

Rounds Six/Seven
        Myles is my personal favorite after watching the senior bowl...he showed sure hands and quick in and out of his breaks. Didn't get to see any open field moves...but he looked good this week.
        Higgins was much the same...except he appeared to be more quick whereas Myles was more polished in route running.
        If in someway magical way we could get a draft like that, I would be elated. Leon Hall and Merriweather would improve our Secondary by leaps and bounds. I've been a Blalock and Man Rameriez Supporter for freaking ever, so I definitely love that. But I would take Jacoby Jones over those WR. But even saying that, it's hard to believe we could get a draft like that.
        This was only senior bowl players. I'm not gonna buy into the Jacoby Jones hype...we already have our jacoby jones in miles austin. We need a quick shifty wide reciever.

This was in no way shape or form a mock draft by me...this is just a breakdown of players that I like after the senior bowl...with descriptions of what they did at the senior bowl as well as where they are projected to go at this point.

Comment

Round One
          Moving Down?

Round Two
          Justin Blalock OG, Texas
          Other Options

Round Three

Josh Wilson CB, Maryland

Rounds Four/Five

Rounds Six/Seven
          A bit of a dream draft it seems but why not. Seems like a few guys we thought would go much earlier going much later. 1 or 2 are very possible.

On the small school guys being mentioned, they are great value round 3 and on and almost prefer to go for athletes than anything else. It is not like we have huge needs.

Question though Thule. Two OG and Two DB? What do you do with the rest of the guys we have? Looks like too much. Also, what happened to a backup QB like a Kolb or Palmer.

Comment

• Originally posted by robert_in_bigd

Round One
            Moving Down?

Round Two
            Justin Blalock OG, Texas
            Other Options

Round Three

Josh Wilson CB, Maryland

Rounds Four/Five

Rounds Six/Seven
            A bit of a dream draft it seems but why not. Seems like a few guys we thought would go much earlier going much later. 1 or 2 are very possible.

On the small school guys being mentioned, they are great value round 3 and on and almost prefer to go for athletes than anything else. It is not like we have huge needs.

Question though Thule. Two OG and Two DB? What do you do with the rest of the guys we have? Looks like too much. Also, what happened to a backup QB like a Kolb or Palmer.
            You might want to reread the beginning of my post...once again...this is in no way shape or form a mock draft.

You can call it dream projections if you wish...but i used kipers projections...so you can't really argue with that...and its still early.

Comment

Originally posted by robert_in_bigd

Round One
              Moving Down?

Round Two
              Justin Blalock OG, Texas
              Other Options

Round Three

Josh Wilson CB, Maryland

Rounds Four/Five

Rounds Six/Seven

You might want to reread the beginning of my post...once again...this is in no way shape or form a mock draft.

You can call it dream projections if you wish...but i used kipers projections...so you can't really argue with that...and its still early.
              I got it. It is cool. It is so early

Can you address the last paragraph and its questions. I would be curious to get your thinking. Two guards and two DB seems overkill but I prseume you release some other players and ignore FA.

Probably catch up on it tomorrow or Sunday. Have a good one. Fun info.

Comment

• Originally posted by robert_in_bigd
                Originally posted by robert_in_bigd

Round One
                Moving Down?

Round Two
                Justin Blalock OG, Texas
                Other Options

Round Three

Josh Wilson CB, Maryland

Rounds Four/Five

Rounds Six/Seven

I got it. It is cool. It is so early

Can you address the last paragraph and its questions. I would be curious to get your thinking. Two guards and two DB seems overkill but I prseume you release some other players and ignore FA.

Probably catch up on it tomorrow or Sunday. Have a good one. Fun info.
                I'm not sure if the thing in italics is asking me to address the OG and DBs. I'll just assume so. I think its safe to say that Rivera has seen his last day in dallas. Which leaves us with Koiser and Proctor. Proctor showed some promise but I really want a young guy with some experience starting...so I really think we have a chance to address that in FA. No matter what...I think its safe to say 2 OG's will be brought in this offseason...whether its draft or FA.

As for DBs...I'm not sold on Reeves or Jones as anything more then special teamers. With the latest reports of Henry possibly been moved to FS...CB becomes a big need. Even if he doesn't move back full time a youth option would be nice. The young CB would likely have to have the ability to contribute on special teams to earn a spot on this team. I'm not sold on FS being a huge need...but I am sold on Roy used as a rover and won't drop this idea till i'm proven wrong. This would cause a need for either another FS or a CB if Henry were to move back.

Comment

• Another name that I forgot to mention is Jonathan Wade from Tennessee. This kid looks like he could be a true cover corner in a year or two...just doesn't seem to understand some aspects...where coaching could do alot for him. He has consistently gotten better at the senior bowl...which leads me to believe he is a coachable player.

Comment

• Donnie Edwards anyone??? :D

Chargers | Edwards will likely be let go
                    Thu, 25 Jan 2007 21:45:40 -0800

Kevin Acee, of the San Diego Union-Tribune, reports San Diego Chargers LB Donnie Edwards will likely be let go by the team this offseason.

Comment

• It really looks to me like they won't be making a decision until next week until at least after they get a chance to interview Norv. I can stand to live with either:

HC: Wade Phillips
                      DC: Todd Bowles
                      OC: Jason Garrett

HC: Norv Turner

I'd rather Garrett stick to OC for now. Plus I'd also rather stick with the 3-4.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigmac076
                        It really looks to me like they won't be making a decision until next week until at least after they get a chance to interview Norv. I can stand to live with either:

I'd rather Garrett stick to OC for now. Plus I'd also rather stick with the 3-4.
                        How about this

HC - Dan Reeve
                        DC - Todd Bowles
                        OC - Jason Garrett

but I think this is better

HC - Wade Phllips
                        DC and AHC: Mike Singletary
                        OC - Jason Carrett

Comment

• Originally posted by nrcirc
                          Originally posted by bigmac076
                          It really looks to me like they won't be making a decision until next week until at least after they get a chance to interview Norv. I can stand to live with either:

How about this

HC - Dan Reeve
                          DC - Todd Bowles
                          OC - Jason Garrett

HC - Wade Phllips
                          OC - Jason Garrett
                          Obviously that would be ideal, but I was trying to be realistic. I don't see how we would be able to pull Mike away from the Niners in a lateral move like that. As a matter of fact this here would be the MOST ideal:

HC: Mike Singletary

I just (unfortunatley) have not heard anything about us looking to speak with Mike Singletary whatsoever.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigmac076
                            Originally posted by nrcirc
                            Originally posted by bigmac076

How about this

HC - Dan Reeve
                            DC - Todd Bowles
                            OC - Jason Garrett

HC - Wade Phllips
                            OC - Jason Garrett
                            Obviously that would be ideal, but I was trying to be realistic. I don't see how we would be able to pull Mike away from the Niners in a lateral move like that. As a matter of fact this here would be the MOST ideal:

HC: Mike Singletary

I just (unfortunatley) have not heard anything about us looking to speak with Mike Singletary whatsoever.
                            Well Mike stepping in as a DC wouldn't be a lateral move because he hasn't been appointed the DC in San Fran. I do think he would take the DC job if offered to him. I think the search right now is on the HC. ...and as much as I would like him to fill the HC job, I do think the safe step for him right now is as a DC.

Comment

• IRVING, Texas - As expected, Chargers defensive coordinator Wade Phillips arrived at Valley Ranch early Friday morning and is interviewing for the Cowboys' head coaching position.
                              Phillips, 60, certainly has plenty of experience, compiling a 48-39 record as a head coach with the Saints, Broncos, Bills and Falcons.
                              Phillips figures to be the first of three new candidates to interview for the job. The Cowboys not only contacted the Chargers about interviewing Phillips, but informed the Saints and 49ers of their intentions to interview Gary Gibbs and Norv Turner, respectively.
                              Rest at Dallascowboys.com

Good? Bad?

Comment

• If we do in fact we do go back to the 4-3 what is the starting lineup/depth chart if we make realistic FA moves and draft picks?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information