This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Staubach12
    I don't think he would change with the succcess he's had in Chicago running a cover 2. I don't have a source, it's speculatin for God's sake. I'm just saying I don't think he'd be willing to learn a whole new system that he has to coach. It's almost like Zimmer. I don't like that thought.
    How hard would it be for us to move into the 4-3?

DE- Ware
    DE- Ellis
    DT- Ferguson
    DT- Spears
    OLB- Ayodele
    ILB- James
    OLB- Carpenter

We might not be that speedy at OLB, but it's just a thought. Then we could make a huge push for Adalius Thomas or Lance Briggs to add speed. I'm sure both might get the franchise tag thrown on them, but it's nice to dream.

Comment

• Originally posted by thule
      Originally posted by Staubach12
      I don't want Ron Rivera at all. He wouldn't keep the 3-4 (which I'm a huge fan of). Also, if there's one system I don't want us to run, it's the cover 2. It's soooo bad. We've used the last few years to adapt to the 3-4 and I say we keep it that way.
      I'm curious to see a source on this..
      Source? Maybe Ron Rivera!

With respect to the coaching search and 3-4 versus 4-3, the fact we are discussing going back to the 4-3 (Tampa 2?) and potentially changing the offense back to the Coryell tree is just an indication of chaos.

The team went to the playoffs, could have gone 11-5 or 12-4 without a D meltdown and averaged 26 PPG. Now we are fascinated with changing everything? New Offensive system with Norv. New D System with Rivera.

As being reported, there is not much sense to this coaching search. The parts are interesting but this puzzle is not coming together.

We will see.

Comment

• Originally posted by leroyisgod
        I don't think he would change with the succcess he's had in Chicago running a cover 2. I don't have a source, it's speculatin for God's sake. I'm just saying I don't think he'd be willing to learn a whole new system that he has to coach. It's almost like Zimmer. I don't like that thought.

DE- Ware
        DE- Ellis
        DT- Ferguson
        DT- Spears
        OLB- Ayodele
        ILB- James
        OLB- Carpenter

We might not be that speedy at OLB, but it's just a thought. Then we could make a huge push for Adalius Thomas to add speed.
        actually I think Ayodele loses his spot and Carp plays sam while Burnett would play will...but this isn't important...we will be playing a primarily 3-4 defense in 07.

Comment

• Originally posted by leroyisgod

DE- Ware
          DE- Ellis
          DT- Ferguson
          DT- Spears
          OLB- Ayodele
          ILB- James
          OLB- Carpenter

We might not be that speedy at OLB, but it's just a thought. Then we could make a huge push for Adalius Thomas or Lance Briggs to add speed. I'm sure both might get the franchise tag thrown on them, but it's nice to dream.
          If we move to 4-3 the last thing we need is another LB let alone an expensive FA.

Comment

• Originally posted by robert_in_bigd
            Originally posted by thule
            I don't want Ron Rivera at all. He wouldn't keep the 3-4 (which I'm a huge fan of). Also, if there's one system I don't want us to run, it's the cover 2. It's soooo bad. We've used the last few years to adapt to the 3-4 and I say we keep it that way.
            I'm curious to see a source on this..
            Source? Maybe Ron Rivera!

With respect to the coaching search and 3-4 versus 4-3, the fact we are discussing going back to the 4-3 (Tampa 2?) and potentially changing the offense back to the Coryell tree is just an indication of chaos.

The team went to the playoffs, could have gone 11-5 or 12-4 without a D meltdown and averaged 26 PPG. Now we are fascinated with changing everything? New Offensive system with Norv. New D System with Rivera.

As being reported, there is not much sense to this coaching search. The parts are interesting but this puzzle is not coming together.

We will see.
            Brillant defensive minds know how to work with a teams strengths and minimize a teams weakness's.

Bill has made it clear that we are to stay in the 3-4...thus we wouldn't bring in a guy to change it.

Call me crazy but any talk of cover 2 defense being played in dallas as a primary defense is crazy and I will need a reliable source quoted from mouth to believe it.

Comment

Originally posted by leroyisgod

DE- Ware
              DE- Ellis
              DT- Ferguson
              DT- Spears
              OLB- Ayodele
              ILB- James
              OLB- Carpenter

If we move to 4-3 the last thing we need is another LB let alone an expensive FA.
              True, but at that point you might see some player movement. I'm not sure if we could afford trading Ayodele because there might be some sort of cap hit.

I personally like the 3-4, but feel that we need some help at the other OLB position. I'm hoping that Carp keeps developing, but still not sold on him yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit
                Rivera was on a radio interview and said he wouldn't change the 3-4. He said he'd love to be HC in Dallas... When John Clayton asked him whether he could put together a good staff he put Clayton into place and said "Of course! There are a lot of good coaches out there!" hahaha!
                That's just like taking the Zimmer approach all over again!Why get a coach who can't coach the system we want to use?

BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Staubach12
                  Originally posted by D-Unit
                  Rivera was on a radio interview and said he wouldn't change the 3-4. He said he'd love to be HC in Dallas... When John Clayton asked him whether he could put together a good staff he put Clayton into place and said "Of course! There are a lot of good coaches out there!" hahaha!
                  That's just like taking the Zimmer approach all over again!Why get a coach who can't coach the system we want to use?
                  Rivera has a far superior defensive mind to Zimmer. Zimmer is a good coordinator...Rivera is a great defensive mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by thule
                    Rivera has a far superior defensive mind to Zimmer. Zimmer is a good coordinator...Rivera is a great defensive mind.
                    Not sure why you would say that.

First, Zimmer's track record in 4-3 is accomplished. Let me add I think Zimmer is not brilliant, as you say.

Second, where has Rivera succeeded as being the only D mind? Not sure I buy the brilliant tag on Rivera.

I think we need a 3-4 guy somewhere and given our OC has zero experience running an O and Norv is the likely guy -- I like Manusky from SD or pick a guy from NE or the Jets.

Comment

Originally posted by thule
                      Not sure why you would say that.

First, Zimmer's track record in 4-3 is accomplished. Let me add I think Zimmer is not brilliant, as you say.

Second, where has Rivera succeeded as being the only D mind? Not sure I buy the brilliant tag on Rivera.

I think we need a 3-4 guy somewhere and given our OC has zero experience running an O and Norv is the likely guy -- I like Manusky from SD or pick a guy from NE or the Jets.
                      I guess we won't know how brilliant of a mind Rivera has until has is tested with talent that doesn't fit the cover 2. But he does have a defense winning his team games with a trashy QB...that says alot to me. Not like the have the most talented defense in the league...it is definately a top tier defense talent wise..but I don't believe it the best.

Manusky is a nice option from speculation.
                      BBD recommended Pepper Johnson...who I like but have yet to see ties from NE to here at this point.
                      Can't think of anyone from the jets really.

Comment

• Come on now, what makes Ron Rivera anymore of a "genius" than Mike Zimmer?

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to run Cover 2, its one of the most basic schemes in the game. The most basic scheme is run by Indy, Dungy only has 2 defensive packages.

As a Giant fan, quite honestly, Id love to see you guys make the switch to Cover 2. It would be disastrous. Norv Turner in Big D is good enough, but having Rivera too is like buy one get one free.

You guys are built for 3-4, and have pieces in place that are maturing and can be serious players in a year or two. Not only will Rivera stunt their growth as players in the 3-4, but his scheme would be absolutely horrid in Dallas.

Let me get this straight, you guys have major safety issues, and you WANT cover 2 in Dallas? Tim Lewis ran alot of it in NY with safeties who are actually better in coverage than the guys you have, and look at how that turned out. Roy can't cover a ham sandwich let alone a TE up the seam. Bradie James is a run thumper, not a coverage LB. Ware is not strong enough to play full time DE. I would try Roy at LB in this scheme, but I don't know if he's strong enough to engage with fullbacks.

And even if you keep the 3-4, do you honestly think Rivera would get alot out of those guys? He doesn't know anything about the 3-4. Wasn't that the issue with Zimmer? Its like making the same mistake twice.

Comment

• Rivera will be a better head coach than a defensive coordinator, same with Singletary I believe. If Jerry goes out and gives him 2-3 million to be the DC it just again proves that he has no idea what he's doing, he just likes to give money to the biggest names. They should just hire Rivera or Mike and leave Norv as he is. If Jason Garrett is supposed to be such a great offensive mind why would you need him anyway?

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearsfan_51
                            Rivera will be a better head coach than a defensive coordinator, same with Singletary I believe. If Jerry goes out and gives him 2-3 million to be the DC it just again proves that he has no idea what he's doing, he just likes to give money to the biggest names. They should just hire Rivera or Mike and leave Norv as he is. If Jason Garrett is supposed to be such a great offensive mind why would you need him anyway?
                            I love the idea of Rivera as a HC, or even a DC. I just think its real dumb to happen in Dallas. Rivera should be the new Tampa HC if Gruden is out the door next year, or maybe even Detroit if they continue to suck.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense
                              Come on now, what makes Ron Rivera anymore of a "genius" than Mike Zimmer?

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to run Cover 2, its one of the most basic schemes in the game. The most basic scheme is run by Indy, Dungy only has 2 defensive packages.

As a Giant fan, quite honestly, Id love to see you guys make the switch to Cover 2. It would be disastrous. Norv Turner in Big D is good enough, but having Rivera too is like buy one get one free.

You guys are built for 3-4, and have pieces in place that are maturing and can be serious players in a year or two. Not only will Rivera stunt their growth as players in the 3-4, but his scheme would be absolutely horrid in Dallas.

Let me get this straight, you guys have major safety issues, and you WANT cover 2 in Dallas? Tim Lewis ran alot of it in NY with safeties who are actually better in coverage than the guys you have, and look at how that turned out. Roy can't cover a ham sandwich let alone a TE up the seam. Bradie James is a run thumper, not a coverage LB. Ware is not strong enough to play full time DE. I would try Roy at LB in this scheme, but I don't know if he's strong enough to engage with fullbacks.

And even if you keep the 3-4, do you honestly think Rivera would get alot out of those guys? He doesn't know anything about the 3-4. Wasn't that the issue with Zimmer? Its like making the same mistake twice.
                              I agree, switching from 3-4 to 4-3 with such young, maturing talent and big ticket FA is insanity for team 1 FG from playing the Bears.

Also to your point, Roy Williams in Tampa 2? LOL. SS is a no go in this scheme and even an an OLB he can't shed Fullback or TE blocks.

This gets to my point the interview process is random. Their is little linkage between team strengths and overall philosophy and who is being interviewed. A disconnect between strategy, resources and choice of battle field commanders.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense
                                Originally posted by bearsfan_51
                                Rivera will be a better head coach than a defensive coordinator, same with Singletary I believe. If Jerry goes out and gives him 2-3 million to be the DC it just again proves that he has no idea what he's doing, he just likes to give money to the biggest names. They should just hire Rivera or Mike and leave Norv as he is. If Jason Garrett is supposed to be such a great offensive mind why would you need him anyway?
                                I love the idea of Rivera as a HC, or even a DC. I just think its real dumb to happen in Dallas. Rivera should be the new Tampa HC if Gruden is out the door next year, or maybe even Detroit if they continue to suck.
                                That's because you have the idea that teams should stick to one scheme forever and ever. Why is Dallas a good 3-4 team? I've yet to really wrap my head around that. You could just as easily switch the team over to a 4-3, and considering how lousy their D was most of this season, I don't think it would be a bad idea. Put D-Ware at a 4-3 DE spot and I think he's even better.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information