Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• While I don't think we need to trade Julius, I would certaintly not be opposed to doing so if we were able to get a potential special player to replace him. AP or Marshawn would be very nice. I think right now we have the guys to get the job done, but is Julius ever going to turn into a guy that the defense has to scheme for? I doubt it. MBIII isn't that guy either. I think it's important to have that type of player in the backfield for your team, though it's not absolutely essential.

That said, I wouldn't mind taking a shot at Taylor, provided he isn't a Maurice Clarrett type thug. I surely wouldn't mind having a player that could be a game-breaker out of the backfield.

Still, the point is definitely not our skill positions. Right now, we have the talent to be a force offensively. What we need is help along the line, and then some type of catalytic player on defense that can make big plays.

One thing you can't say about Newman is that he makes big plays. I wish I understood why he never seems to come up with them, because he has tremendous hands, and has shown an ability to break on the ball, but maybe he just doesn't gamble enough to get in position to make them. That is something we need to remedy. Whether it's a new FS, a gambling CB, a pass rusher, or even some type of dynamic LB who has a knack for creating fumbles, we need someone to raise havoc for our defense. That's what we really need.
    Originally posted by 21ST
    He was protecting his self
    Originally posted by tjsunstein
    From what? His leg?
    Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
    That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
    "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• Originally posted by thule
      Originally posted by TNewFan41
      W/e, I just like Ramonce Taylor, I think he brings something to our team that we need. Speed and receiving out of the backfield.
      Taylor has been on my radar for awhile. I was really looking forward to him playing...and I really respect Sigmond Bloom from a breakdown prospective. In all this blabbering that you've done you have mentioned once his ability to play as a WR. Yes you say Reggie Bush type back...but you never go out of your way to explain that. From the sounds of it you just want to give him the ball 5-10 times a game and sweeps and screens.

The thing about it is...we wouldn't need to trade JJ. I mean you don't trade a productive player. If we get a top 40 pick then so be it...but I dont' forsee an offer like that...they just don't come. Hell if we can get a second round pick for him..trade up for AD...barring he falls out of the top 10. But I'm getting sidetracked....My point is...with Ramonce here we can still have JJ. MB3 would still be our third down back....blah blah blah. The thing is that Ramonce would have to contribute on special teams. He has the shiftyness to be a punt returner...which would gives us something dynamic...so I don't sweat when Newman is back their about losing the most important part of our defense.

So if Ramonce can give us that special teams spark...yet also Play as a scat back and WR...he would he about 20-30 plays a game with the ball in his hands around 10 times. That would be solid production out of a second day pick. However I'm just not sure he is available in the 6th...but w/e I can't exactly prove his status at this point or who would take a shot at him...so i'll keep that barried.

He would essentially take Tyson Thompsons place on the team...rather then JJ's.
      and I don't believe Thompson needs to be replaced. Julius is 25, Marion is 23, and Tyson is 25, with a combined total of 88 games played! We need to get younger at WR, OL, and CB. We simply do not need another RB, at all.

Comment

• I agree with you 100% DMWSackMachine, we need a gamebreaker on defense. Newman is a big playmaker, just watch him in college, but he just hasn't made that many plays recently, idk why, maybe cause he is only thrown at 2 times a game, or maybe he doesn't want to gamble, or maybe he was scared that parcells would yell at him if he did. Hopefully he makes some big plays this year. The play against Seattle were he batted ther ball back in to Roy was freakin amazing, it doesn't show up on the stat sheet for him, but that was one of the best plays I have ever seen. Let's hope it caries over to next season.

And D-Unit Julius runs a 4.47. And I don't care what his 40 time is, he is slow as heck on the field, I don't care about that run against the Saints, wow one big run all season. Ramonce has a gear that only certaihn players have, like Reggie Bush and Brian westrook. Plus we could get ramonce in the later part of day 2! who cares it would either be a 5th, 6th, or 7th round pick, if not undrafted FA. I don't know why you guys care so much. We need a back like him, and ramonce would be perfect. I hope we draft him really bad.

If we get Ramonce, Newman might take a backseat as my favorite player.

Comment

• Looking at safeties, who are your favorite prospects outside the first round?
          Scott seems very high on Weddle, and Weddle is a Cowboys fan too :D

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

• Originally posted by bigmac076
            Originally posted by thule
            Originally posted by TNewFan41
            W/e, I just like Ramonce Taylor, I think he brings something to our team that we need. Speed and receiving out of the backfield.
            Taylor has been on my radar for awhile. I was really looking forward to him playing...and I really respect Sigmond Bloom from a breakdown prospective. In all this blabbering that you've done you have mentioned once his ability to play as a WR. Yes you say Reggie Bush type back...but you never go out of your way to explain that. From the sounds of it you just want to give him the ball 5-10 times a game and sweeps and screens.

The thing about it is...we wouldn't need to trade JJ. I mean you don't trade a productive player. If we get a top 40 pick then so be it...but I dont' forsee an offer like that...they just don't come. Hell if we can get a second round pick for him..trade up for AD...barring he falls out of the top 10. But I'm getting sidetracked....My point is...with Ramonce here we can still have JJ. MB3 would still be our third down back....blah blah blah. The thing is that Ramonce would have to contribute on special teams. He has the shiftyness to be a punt returner...which would gives us something dynamic...so I don't sweat when Newman is back their about losing the most important part of our defense.

So if Ramonce can give us that special teams spark...yet also Play as a scat back and WR...he would he about 20-30 plays a game with the ball in his hands around 10 times. That would be solid production out of a second day pick. However I'm just not sure he is available in the 6th...but w/e I can't exactly prove his status at this point or who would take a shot at him...so i'll keep that barried.

He would essentially take Tyson Thompsons place on the team...rather then JJ's.
            and I don't believe Thompson needs to be replaced. Julius is 25, Marion is 23, and Tyson is 25, with a combined total of 88 games played! We need to get younger at WR, OL, and CB. We simply do not need another RB, at all.
            I agree. Unless we have a Marshawn Lynch or Peterson staring us in the face, I would rather use that pick elsewhere.

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
            Albert Camus

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit
              Julius ran a 4.38 and a 4.43 at the combine.
              Thank you, D.

BoneKrusher

Comment

• Here's an interesting thing that I noticed when perusing some of the stats from this season. It is in regard to DeMarcus Ware, and his production distribution against certain teams. These are the teams against which he generated a sack:

Washington
                Washington
                Philly
                Philly
                NYG
                Indy
                NO
                Atl
                Ari
                Det

Meanwhile, the teams against which he failed to get a sack were:

Tenn
                Houston
                Carolina
                Tampa
                Jax

Look at that. The best lines that we faced all year were the Skins, Eagles, Colts, Saints (surprisingly so), and Jags. He got sacks against all of them except the Jaguars (the worst of the bunch).

Meanwhile, we play some truly horrible lines like Houston, Tampa and Carolina, and he doesn't notch a single sack!

It's absolutely confounding. How is it that he - and we as a team - was not able to get the QB when the Oline was terrible, and yet consistently got there when he was playing against elite competition? I don't understand it.

Anyhow, something to think about. Could this be another problem with the scheme?
                From what? His leg?

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• Originally posted by TNewFan41
                  And D-Unit Julius runs a 4.47. And I don't care what his 40 time is, he is slow as heck on the field, I don't care about that run against the Saints, wow one big run all season. Ramonce has a gear that only certaihn players have, like Reggie Bush and Brian westrook. Plus we could get ramonce in the later part of day 2! who cares it would either be a 5th, 6th, or 7th round pick, if not undrafted FA. I don't know why you guys care so much. We need a back like him, and ramonce would be perfect. I hope we draft him really bad.
                  You can't use a 40 time as an argument, and then say "Oh, well, I don't care about that anyway." You abviously don't watch very closely, because he's one of the fastest players on our team. Taylor won't be much faster than Jones.

BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Modano
                    Looking at safeties, who are your favorite prospects outside the first round?
                    I'm not too big on Weddle because I just don't know if he's good enough in coverage. We need a guy that's spectacular in coverage. I wouldn't have any big problems with Brandon Meriweather in the 2nd or 3rd.

BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Staubach12
                      Originally posted by Modano
                      I'm not too big on Weddle because I just don't know if he's good enough in coverage. We need a guy that's spectacular in coverage. I wouldn't have any big problems with Brandon Meriweather in the 2nd or 3rd.
                      Ed Reeds don't come along very often (of course, we could have drafted him instead of Roy Williams in '02 :( ). Look at Darren Woodson: He wasn't spectacular in coverage but he was good and very smart, and he always seemed to be where he was supposed to be. He also made other players like Williams, George Teague and Brock Marion better. I'd be thrilled to get a guy like that for our FS.

Comment

• Originally posted by FinChase
                        Originally posted by Staubach12
                        Ed Reeds don't come along very often (of course, we could have drafted him instead of Roy Williams in '02 :( ). Look at Darren Woodson: He wasn't spectacular in coverage but he was good and very smart, and he always seemed to be where he was supposed to be. He also made other players like Williams, George Teague and Brock Marion better. I'd be thrilled to get a guy like that for our FS.
                        I've warmed up to the possibility of Merrieweather. He did great at SB week, and definitely has the measruables you look for. Concern about his character doesnt bother anymore, seeing it was an isolated incident. But if there is more, please inform, I haven't really looked into his background. So Reggie Nelson or Merriweather in the first would make me very happy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Staubach12
                          I am a Utah Ute fan, though I am not generally that into college football, except from a NFL Draft perspective. But I come from a family of Ute fans. I have several brothers who attended college there and a bevy of cousins, uncles and nephews who are HUGE fans of the team.

The point is, I know about Weddle pretty thoroughly, and this is not true. He has been exceptional in coverage this season, though against Mid Major competition admittedly. However, the most telling performance of his career came at the end of last season in the bowl game against Georgia Tech. He was assigned to shadow Calvin Johnson for the entire game, and he shut him down. Yeah, it was actually the performance that put him on the radar for NFL scouts. CJ ended up with 2 catches for 19 yards, with 7 targets. The performance is already well on its way to mythical status among Utah fans. It was truly something to watch.

Anyhow, not only that, but Weddle was much better than anticipated during the senior bowl week, and Mayock even said that he showed that he can line up over a guy and cover him one on one.

I would be just fine if we took him with a 2nd rounder, and if we could get him in the 3rd I would be thrilled.

So, no, actually coverage is a serious strength.
                          From what? His leg?

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
                            Here's an interesting thing that I noticed when perusing some of the stats from this season. It is in regard to DeMarcus Ware, and his production distribution against certain teams. These are the teams against which he generated a sack:

Washington
                            Washington
                            Philly
                            Philly
                            NYG
                            Indy
                            NO
                            Atl
                            Ari
                            Det

Meanwhile, the teams against which he failed to get a sack were:

Tenn
                            Houston
                            Carolina
                            Tampa
                            Jax

Look at that. The best lines that we faced all year were the Skins, Eagles, Colts, Saints (surprisingly so), and Jags. He got sacks against all of them except the Jaguars (the worst of the bunch).

Meanwhile, we play some truly horrible lines like Houston, Tampa and Carolina, and he doesn't notch a single sack!

It's absolutely confounding. How is it that he - and we as a team - was not able to get the QB when the Oline was terrible, and yet consistently got there when he was playing against elite competition? I don't understand it.

Anyhow, something to think about. Could this be another problem with the scheme?
                            DWM, I agree with your last 2 posts completely. It appears that we lack playmakers on Defense and that we are the definition of inconsistency.

Now, I know that I'm pretty much the only guy here who is still hoping for Dallas to select DeMarcus Tyler in round 1, first and foremost. Ever since his weigh in at the Senior Bowl, I've gone head over heels for this guy. I mean, yeah, I had him on the radar before, but not until then did I really REALLY want to get this guy. I know some of you would support the pick of Tyler, but I haven't seen anyone other than myself come out and put him atop their big boards.

It is my belief that the majority of our defensive inconsistencies are surrounded by the play of our NT position. I'm not dogging the play of Fergy, because he has been good... just inconsistently good. It is also my belief that he's not a true NT. In my opinion he is a better 3 technique tackle than he is a 1 technique tackle. In every game that he had over 5 tackles, we lost. I don't think that is a coincidence at all. To me that tells me that he's NOT doing his job. Against the run, the nose tackle needs to draw the double-team to allow the linebackers to plug the holes and make the play. On a pass, he needs to shoot the gap and get upfield penetration. With Fergy making all those tackles, to me it says that he's not playing with discipline. He's shooting the gap on running plays and tackling the RB.... when he needs to just play his role and let the LBs make the tackle. ...and against the pass... well, he's not doing very well shooting the gap either... 0 sacks... at the very least on passing plays, if he's not shooting the gap, he should still be dangerous enough to attract an extra blocker to free up the LB rush. It's the double... the damn double team that he cannot consistently attract. We get that and all of a sudden, ILB blitzes start to work, OLBs are freed up, DEs can do more... we start to confuse offenses, then bring 'em a CB or S blitz!!!

Damnit! I'm getting pissed off thinking about all of our missed opportunities because we lack a true NT. Maybe I'm overreacting... maybe I'm wrong... I dunno...

The scouting report on Tyler may not be flashy, but I'm sold on him. The guys writing the reports on him seem to be grading him as a 4-3 NT or UT perspective. As a 3-4 NT, I'm willing to bet he does a lot better than those "scouting reports". He makes those around him better. No doubt about it. His play went unnoticed for a long time, until this year, but he's been consistent... and the guys who have played with him have made some serious cash in the draft.... Mario Williams, Manny Lawson, John McCargo... and others have had great college careers.... Oliver Hoyte, Stephen Tulloch...

Just as you guys have just recently said how we "need" playmakers and that you seem "boggled" as to why our guys aren't coming up with more game breaking plays... I believe that we DO have playmakers and that they are simply not able to operate at their highest level becasue of our NT inconsistencies. As our NT goes, so does our defense. I want Tyler to come in and bring the same type of effect over to the Cowboys as he did at NC State and finally allow our playmakers to finally make plays! NC State btw, was the #1 Defense in college while he was there.

For me, the 2007 draft is all about DeMarcus "Tank" Tyler baby! ! ! Get'r done Jerry!!!

Pictured here... drawing the double team! :D

"I just try to go in there with a negative attitude and hit somebody as hard as I can every snap," Tyler said. "I haven't been blessed with all the speed in the world, but coach tells me to just put my hand down and go. I try to follow out my assignment and hit somebody as hard as I can on every play."
                            - Tank Tyler

In 2006...

Reving up the crowd before he attempts a 550 pound bench press.

Flexing after lifting it up! :D

Comment

• So are you saying Fergies play was inconsistent this past season? He was probably our best Defensive player next to Dware, he was truly a beast against the run. Why is he so unappreciated around here?

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul
                                So are you saying Fergies play was inconsistent this past season? He was probably our best Defensive player next to Dware, he was truly a beast against the run. Why is he so unappreciated around here?
                                He was a beast against the run because he wasn't doing his job. He's supposed to be occupying the blockers and allowing the LBs to stuff the run... That's how the 3-4 is supposed to work. Instead he's shooting the gaps himself and stopping the run. Like I said.. He's not a true NT and in fact plays more like a 3 technique tackle.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information