This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mtmock
    the funny thing is we had 2 lineman make the pro bowl...and our best didn't make it(Marc Colombo) and he deserved it the most. who thinks we should go ginn round 1?
    ME!!!!! If he is there then hell yeah, but he probably won't be.
    "Red Ball"

Comment

• Originally posted by mtmock
      the funny thing is we had 2 lineman make the pro bowl...and our best didn't make it(Marc Colombo) and he deserved it the most. who thinks we should go ginn round 1?
      only if we dont resign crayton (we better resign crayton)

Comment

• I think Flozell got in on name recognition alone.

He committed an awful lot of penalties this year. I still don't want him on this team.

Comment

• Originally posted by 49ersfan_87
          If jones hires rivera, who is the front runner to be DC?
          Wonder if he'd give his old buddy Singletary a shot, considering the DC spot in San Fran is filled.

Comment

• guess i wasnt the only guy rooting for mike singletary then, i would of loved for that to happen...

now im really upset because i dont like the switch to 4-3, thats basically how we have drafted the past 3 or so drafts, alot of players probably have questions marks about whether or not they can adapt to a new role, how will d ware be used? now you take away his outside position and have him playing just OLB in a 4-3, not sure how it would work out....

but i knew soon as we announced to wait after the super bowl, we were going after someone on the bears staff

Originally posted by Scott Wright
            I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ward
              Originally posted by 49ersfan_87
              If jones hires rivera, who is the front runner to be DC?
              Wonder if he'd give his old buddy Singletary a shot, considering the DC spot in San Fran is filled.
              Don't count that out.

Comment

• Gurode deserves it. He wen against top competition and he had an hell of a season. Give us a good RG and we'll have a top interior line. We need a guard who excels in run blocking, so Gurode could help Kosier pushing on running plays.

Btw, I want Rivera as our HC.

On why he should get the job: "Well, I think what I'm going to bring to this table is a young, enthusiastic football coach who's got a plan and ideas, a vision on how he wants to do things. I think in terms of building this team you start with playing defensive football, quality defensive football. Not that that didn't play it before, but just bring a style of football I've been involved with in my playing career and coaching career it fits very well with the personnel in place."
                Does Rivera like the 3-4?: "Very much so. Because if you look at it, and you break [Dallas] down, how often did you see them in a four-man front? Second-and-long, third-down situations. So they've got guys they put in the 4-3 look in passing situations. I also think there's a place for the 3-4 or a version of the 3-4 that you can still use the talent that's around there and get them on the football field as well."

I think he could handle the 3-4, he knows how to blitz because he has grown up under Jim Johnson, an I think he has a lot of energy as a coach.

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

• I just want to take a minute and point out that we aren't playing madden...we have the ability to move players around as we please. So for anyone going out there and saying man I don't want Rivera because we are gonna run the cover 2..this is for you.

I mean this year we used the 3-4 as our base defense...we played a nickle...we played defenses that don't even have names. We ran a lot of different defenses throughout the course of the game. Hell we ran a 5-2 if you wanna look at it that way...who says lineman have to have their hand on the ground.

My point is that very few defenses can line up in one formation all day. The exception being the Cover 2 defense...because it's such a zone based scheme. But watch NE play...it's a constant switch when they are playing. This is what Zimmer didn't have. Zimmer is a good X's and O's guy but he isn't the best coach. I mean I'm sure most of you remember my pass rushing problems breakdown about a week ago. Coaching was clearly the fault of our lack of consistant pressure.

This is what a guy like Rivera can bring us. He has the creativity. Lets not forget coaching under Jim Johnson isn't exactly your plain cover 2 vanilla defense. Great defensive minds get the best out of their talent. Well this is something that Rivera can do.

I mean what coach is gonna come in and tell Ware I'm sorry son you better get used to putting your hand on the ground your gonna be playing there all year. I mean lets get real, thats just not happening. Sure maybe his hand is on the ground about 60% of the time which would be a decent increase from what he is used too...but noone is gonna come in here and totally reconstruct our defense.

The way I see it we are gonna have about 5 base looks..which isn't to farfetched.

Our DL is flexible..then only time a 4 man line hurts is trying to decide what happens to Canty. He is the only player on the line that would be hampered by the move.
                  DE's - Hatcher/Ellis opposite Ware makes sense. Lets not forget Bowen who played in the 4-3 last year against the lions.
                  DT's - Furgy and Spears/Ratliff seems like the optimal setup...Canty would be forced to spell.
                  ILB's - This is a tough position. Bradie doesn't have the sideline to sideline speed to play the middle in a 4-3 and it is debateable for Ayodele. But Akin already showed in Jacksonville that as a Sam backer he just didn't have the "it". Akin is another versatile guy would could play inside or out.
                  OLB's - This isn't a problem at all. Burnett has everything you look for in a will backer. At Sam we would likely look to Carp would be my guess.
                  Seconday - really doesn't get affected from an X's and O's standpoint so I won't go there.

So after breaking it down lets look at it. Lets just say we come out in a base 4-3.

Ware/Spears/Furgy/HatcherorEllis
                  Burnett/JamesorAkin/Carp

Lets think about this. Is this really so much different then the 3-4. Take Ware and stand him up...you have a base 3-4.

Lets say your not happy with that. Hell run a 5-2
                  Ware/Spears/Furgy/CantyorHatcher/Ellis
                  Carp/Burnett in passing situations James/AkinorFowler on goaline/short yardage.

Plus factor in that we still have our base 3-4...we have our nickel...and here is my favorite.

Every year Jerry comes out and says we need to use Roy better. Every year we leave him playing a 10-12 yard safety. Roy is a Rover. He is not a Safety...he wasn't a safety at OU...he was a Rover. If your not sure what a rover is...just take a look at troy polamalu..he plays it better than anyone else.

Our DL could pretty much look however you wanted it to look...we could go 3 or 4 man line. We could put Ware on the line or stand him up. Doesn't really matter. I would say the Rover scheme is similar to our nickel scheme...except that Roy plays the other LB position except he plays in the intermediate range like 6-8 yards off the ball. Keep Burnett as our LB in this scheme. This is the best part. Noone knows what to make of the Henry rumors...but it doesn't make sense from a cap perspective to have him starting FS exclusively, so we keep him primarily at corner for the first year. But when we bring in our rover package...Henry becomes our FS and Watkins our SS. Someone can doubt me on Watkins as a SS but lets face it this kid came in and lead our team with tackles in a year that he wasn't even suppose to start with his lanky frame. Watkins could play the position.

Our Rover Base would look like
                  Ware/Ratliff/Hatcher/ellis (this can be switched up however fits)
                  Burnett
                  Roy
                  Glenn/(Newman)/Henry/Watkins/(newguy)

So there are 5 base formations that you could run almost at any time...depending on how you view the nickel. Now what do you call that..a 4-3/3-4/5-2/Robber/Nickel

Bottom line is we really have the talent to do whatever...keep the assignments simple and just throw in alignment signals from the sidelines...and BAM a versatile defense.

So lets try not to get cought up in what scheme we are gonna run...because I think its pretty self-evident that we won't be running one scheme.

Comment

• I like the fact that we could be more versatile, but I'm just concerned about the fact that the past few years, we've been drafting and signing FAs all to fit the 3-4, and I don't think it makes sense to get a guy who has never run a 3-4. I like that we could be more versatile, but it just scares me that Rivera has no experience with what we've been set up to be.

BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Staubach12
                      I like the fact that we could be more versatile, but I'm just concerned about the fact that the past few years, we've been drafting and signing FAs all to fit the 3-4, and I don't think it makes sense to get a guy who has never run a 3-4. I like that we could be more versatile, but it just scares me that Rivera has no experience with what we've been set up to be.
                      Open up your eyes man....tell me exactly what defense we playing in detroit. I can only think of one guy who the 4-3 really hampers to the point where he can't use his full potential and that is Chris Canty. Everyone else on the defense can benefit just as much from being versatile.

Comment

• Originally posted by thule
                        Originally posted by Staubach12
                        I like the fact that we could be more versatile, but I'm just concerned about the fact that the past few years, we've been drafting and signing FAs all to fit the 3-4, and I don't think it makes sense to get a guy who has never run a 3-4. I like that we could be more versatile, but it just scares me that Rivera has no experience with what we've been set up to be.
                        Open up your eyes man....tell me exactly what defense we playing in detroit. I can only think of one guy who the 4-3 really hampers to the point where he can't use his full potential and that is Chris Canty. Everyone else on the defense can benefit just as much from being versatile.
                        Canty would be good trade bait if we moved to the 3-4. A lot of the players we've picked up can play in the 4-3. James and Canty are the only one's that are iffy. By no means am I suggesting we switch to the 4-3, but it could be done without many problems.

Comment

• Ware is really going to have to bulk up if this is the case. I think its a challenge he'd be happy to accept though.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigmac076
                            Ware is really going to have to bulk up if this is the case. I think its a challenge he'd be happy to accept though.
                            I have to disagree, I don't believe he has to put on weight at all. His current weight seems to be where he is most optimal. There are plenty of 4-3 pass rushers who are under 260, Jason Taylor, Kearse, Alex Brown and so on. If he feels he can take on OT at his bulk right now, then he is alright I believe. There no rule where you have to be 6-5 285 to play DE. He has the speed, athleticism, and developing pass rushing skills he can depend on to get the job done.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul
                              Originally posted by bigmac076
                              Ware is really going to have to bulk up if this is the case. I think its a challenge he'd be happy to accept though.
                              I have to disagree, I don't believe he has to put on weight at all. His current weight seems to be where he is most optimal. There are plenty of 4-3 pass rushers who are under 260, Jason Taylor, Kearse, Alex Brown and so on. If he feels he can take on OT at his bulk right now, then he is alright I believe. There no rule where you have to be 6-5 285 to play DE. He has the speed, athleticism, and developing pass rushing skills he can depend on to get the job done.
                              Yeah I was gonna say, look at Simeon Rice and Dwight Freeney. They do fine at their small weights as REs in the Cover 2.

Comment

• Just like to further my points by showing this quote.

He is open to running a combination of 3-4 and 4-3 schemes, and intimated that the Cover-2 they ran at Chicago is more Lovie Smith's scheme than his own. He described his defensive philosophy as aggressive and attacking, a mixture of what he learned from Buddy Ryan and Jim Johnson.
                                So if we really think about it...he had a dominate defense....adjusting to a scheme that wasn't his. Hopefully this will shut the people questioning his ability to coach the 3-4 up.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information