Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dallas Cowboys Discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • So does Newman have a shot or all 3 corners are now in hawaii?

    Comment


    • Originally posted by thule
      Just like to further my points by showing this quote.

      He is open to running a combination of 3-4 and 4-3 schemes, and intimated that the Cover-2 they ran at Chicago is more Lovie Smith's scheme than his own. He described his defensive philosophy as aggressive and attacking, a mixture of what he learned from Buddy Ryan and Jim Johnson.
      So if we really think about it...he had a dominate defense....adjusting to a scheme that wasn't his. Hopefully this will shut the people questioning his ability to coach the 3-4 up.
      Thats encouraging, maybe we will be able to stick with the 3-4 after all. :D

      Comment


      • Originally posted by thule
        Just like to further my points by showing this quote.

        He is open to running a combination of 3-4 and 4-3 schemes, and intimated that the Cover-2 they ran at Chicago is more Lovie Smith's scheme than his own. He described his defensive philosophy as aggressive and attacking, a mixture of what he learned from Buddy Ryan and Jim Johnson.
        So if we really think about it...he had a dominate defense....adjusting to a scheme that wasn't his. Hopefully this will shut the people questioning his ability to coach the 3-4 up.
        As long as they don't switch to a cover 2 I am fine. I would love too see them run both 3-4 and 4-3. I think that is a good way to utilize our depth at LB and DL.

        How I would like to see the formations-
        4-3-
        Ware/Hatcher-Ratliff/Canty-Spears-Ellis
        Carpenter-Ayodele-Burnett

        Hatcher could come in for Ware some, to give him rest, and Canty could come in for Ratliff on rushing downs.

        3-4-
        Spears-Ferguson-Canty
        Ware-Ayodele-James-Carpenter

        Comment


        • Originally posted by 49ersfan_87
          If jones hires rivera, who is the front runner to be DC?
          http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/user/Grizz


          Leslie Frazier perhaps???


          "You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
          Albert Camus

          Comment


          • Originally posted by TNewFan41
            So does Newman have a shot or all 3 corners are now in hawaii?
            who cares... he got snubbed. even if he were put in at this point its not that satisfying to know that 2 people needed to drop out for him to make it in.

            Comment


            • So is Turner out of the picture now? Does it have to do with him not liking Garret at OC, and wanting more control than JJ will give him?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Burns336
                Originally posted by TNewFan41
                So does Newman have a shot or all 3 corners are now in hawaii?
                who cares... he got snubbed. even if he were put in at this point its not that satisfying to know that 2 people needed to drop out for him to make it in.
                You've gotta figure arguably the best corner in the NFC should get awarded somehow

                Comment


                • Well now we have no more interviews scheduled.
                  No signed Coaches.
                  And there is only about 2 1/2 weeks until the Combine.
                  Oh we are in great shape

                  Thanks to bonekrusher for the sig

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by thule
                    Originally posted by Staubach12
                    I like the fact that we could be more versatile, but I'm just concerned about the fact that the past few years, we've been drafting and signing FAs all to fit the 3-4, and I don't think it makes sense to get a guy who has never run a 3-4. I like that we could be more versatile, but it just scares me that Rivera has no experience with what we've been set up to be.
                    Open up your eyes man....tell me exactly what defense we playing in detroit. I can only think of one guy who the 4-3 really hampers to the point where he can't use his full potential and that is Chris Canty. Everyone else on the defense can benefit just as much from being versatile.
                    The 4-3 will not just hamper Canty. Canty will be out of the picture IMO if we switch to the 4-3. Marcus Spears would have to learn a new position. He played DE at LSU, so he'd have to grow into that, which would take time. Also, in the 3-4, Ellis will be a much larger part of the D, which makes his age a factor, and now the guy that we groomed to success him, Carp, is at a totally different position. That adds a DE to the list of needs in the near future with Ellis' age. Ware has been learning a new position for the past 2 years, and moving him back to 4-3 DE would hamper his development IMO, and Ware doesn't exactly have an array of pass-rushing moves to use at DE. He would be a much better player at 3-4 OLB IMO. Plus, we'd need a bit more depth at DE, so we add depth at DE to the list of needs. We've got lots of good OLBs that could fit the 4-3. With Carp, Adoyele, and Burnett I think we'd be fine at OLB. The thing about LB is , we don't have a 4-3 MLB on the roster. We just don't have anyone that would fit there. Plus, what do you do with Bradie James, now? He doesn't fit in at all. So now, MLB is a need.

                    So, are needs now are : FS, CB, NT, DE ,MLB, Backup QB, and WR. That's a slew of needs. Compared to the needs in a 3-4: FS, CB, NT, Backup QB, and WR. That's do-able. Adding two more needs to the list sets us back.

                    Now, I'd be fine with us having a versatile defense. I'm fine with us being more attacking, heck, I'd love for us to be more aggressive, but I don't want to see a 4-3 here. Rivera has never outright said (to my knowledge) that he would stick to the 3-4, and the way he talks about it makes me think he'll swith it and throw in a 3-4 look here and there. Now, if Rivera came out and said he'd run the 3-4 as our base defense, then I'd be a huge supporter of the move, but until then, I'm not a big fan of it.

                    BoneKrusher

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Im_a_Romosexual
                      Originally posted by Burns336
                      Originally posted by TNewFan41
                      So does Newman have a shot or all 3 corners are now in hawaii?
                      who cares... he got snubbed. even if he were put in at this point its not that satisfying to know that 2 people needed to drop out for him to make it in.
                      You've gotta figure arguably the best corner in the NFC should get awarded somehow
                      exactly. :?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Staubach12
                        Originally posted by thule
                        Originally posted by Staubach12
                        I like the fact that we could be more versatile, but I'm just concerned about the fact that the past few years, we've been drafting and signing FAs all to fit the 3-4, and I don't think it makes sense to get a guy who has never run a 3-4. I like that we could be more versatile, but it just scares me that Rivera has no experience with what we've been set up to be.
                        Open up your eyes man....tell me exactly what defense we playing in detroit. I can only think of one guy who the 4-3 really hampers to the point where he can't use his full potential and that is Chris Canty. Everyone else on the defense can benefit just as much from being versatile.
                        The 4-3 will not just hamper Canty. Canty will be out of the picture IMO if we switch to the 4-3. Marcus Spears would have to learn a new position. He played DE at LSU, so he'd have to grow into that, which would take time. Also, in the 3-4, Ellis will be a much larger part of the D, which makes his age a factor, and now the guy that we groomed to success him, Carp, is at a totally different position. That adds a DE to the list of needs in the near future with Ellis' age. Ware has been learning a new position for the past 2 years, and moving him back to 4-3 DE would hamper his development IMO, and Ware doesn't exactly have an array of pass-rushing moves to use at DE. He would be a much better player at 3-4 OLB IMO. Plus, we'd need a bit more depth at DE, so we add depth at DE to the list of needs. We've got lots of good OLBs that could fit the 4-3. With Carp, Adoyele, and Burnett I think we'd be fine at OLB. The thing about LB is , we don't have a 4-3 MLB on the roster. We just don't have anyone that would fit there. Plus, what do you do with Bradie James, now? He doesn't fit in at all. So now, MLB is a need.
                        You act if these PROS will lose all there minds if they change positions. It's not that drastic. First of Spears rotated between DT and DE at LSU, so it will not be new to him if he is moved, no a huge deal. Carp played OLB in the 4-3 through out his collegiate career, how will it effect his play if goes back? Also the 4-3 defense doesn't need 2 Pass-Rushing DE at all times, usually only on obvious passing plays and nickel packages. So we can stick Hacther, Ellis or Spears there, when need be. It's not going to be the end of our defense if we change, these guys a professional athletes, and are good at what they do.

                        But Bradie and Canty maybe seeing alot of the sidelines if we do go through with the change.

                        Comment


                        • Chris Morternson(ESPN), reported that Wade Phillips may actually be the front-runner for the job. :D . Oh Happy Days.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Paul
                            Chris Morternson(ESPN), reported that Wade Phillips may actually be the front-runner for the job. :D . Oh Happy Days.
                            Anyone, but Norv... and his crater face!

                            Comment


                            • Well for me it's hard to like any of the Cowboys candidates this year.

                              Parcells would have certainly been better than anyone we will get. Wade MF Philips, my god that really f'n sucks. The only positive is that he will be gone in two years.
                              "Red Ball"

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by CTCowboysFan
                                Well for me it's hard to like any of the Cowboys candidates this year.

                                Parcells would have certainly been better than anyone we will get. Wade MF Philips, my god that really f'n sucks. The only positive is that he will be gone in two years.
                                Honestly, I still think Wade Phillips is the best candidate we've interviewed for the HC job. Wade has a winning record in the NFL as a head coach and is a 3-4 Defensive coach. Add in Jason Garrett and you have a HC who will not be a 5+ year guy and a 40 year old coach waiting in the wings to be the next HC in 3 years. It makes a ton of sense.

                                Designs by Thule



                                Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
                                I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information