• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paul
    Originally posted by Staubach12
    Originally posted by thule
    I like the fact that we could be more versatile, but I'm just concerned about the fact that the past few years, we've been drafting and signing FAs all to fit the 3-4, and I don't think it makes sense to get a guy who has never run a 3-4. I like that we could be more versatile, but it just scares me that Rivera has no experience with what we've been set up to be.
    Open up your eyes man....tell me exactly what defense we playing in detroit. I can only think of one guy who the 4-3 really hampers to the point where he can't use his full potential and that is Chris Canty. Everyone else on the defense can benefit just as much from being versatile.
    The 4-3 will not just hamper Canty. Canty will be out of the picture IMO if we switch to the 4-3. Marcus Spears would have to learn a new position. He played DE at LSU, so he'd have to grow into that, which would take time. Also, in the 3-4, Ellis will be a much larger part of the D, which makes his age a factor, and now the guy that we groomed to success him, Carp, is at a totally different position. That adds a DE to the list of needs in the near future with Ellis' age. Ware has been learning a new position for the past 2 years, and moving him back to 4-3 DE would hamper his development IMO, and Ware doesn't exactly have an array of pass-rushing moves to use at DE. He would be a much better player at 3-4 OLB IMO. Plus, we'd need a bit more depth at DE, so we add depth at DE to the list of needs. We've got lots of good OLBs that could fit the 4-3. With Carp, Adoyele, and Burnett I think we'd be fine at OLB. The thing about LB is , we don't have a 4-3 MLB on the roster. We just don't have anyone that would fit there. Plus, what do you do with Bradie James, now? He doesn't fit in at all. So now, MLB is a need.
    You act if these PROS will lose all there minds if they change positions. It's not that drastic. First of Spears rotated between DT and DE at LSU, so it will not be new to him if he is moved, no a huge deal. Carp played OLB in the 4-3 through out his collegiate career, how will it effect his play if goes back? Also the 4-3 defense doesn't need 2 Pass-Rushing DE at all times, usually only on obvious passing plays and nickel packages. So we can stick Hacther, Ellis or Spears there, when need be. It's not going to be the end of our defense if we change, these guys a professional athletes, and are good at what they do.

But Bradie and Canty maybe seeing alot of the sidelines if we do go through with the change.
    I think Spears hasn't even settled in to being a DE in the pros, and now we're already moving him? Bad idea. I just don't see Spears settleing in there, and the experience at LSU isn't much because I saw him as a much better DE than DT. I just don't see that being an easy road for him. I never said anything about Carp. I said he'd be fine. I just see the change being an aspect because we're ready to make the leap to the next level on D with ther addition of one or two players, and now is not the time to be changing things IMO.

BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by LSUALUM99
      Originally posted by CTCowboysFan
      Well for me it's hard to like any of the Cowboys candidates this year.

Parcells would have certainly been better than anyone we will get. Wade MF Philips, my god that really f'n sucks. The only positive is that he will be gone in two years.
      Honestly, I still think Wade Phillips is the best candidate we've interviewed for the HC job. Wade has a winning record in the NFL as a head coach and is a 3-4 Defensive coach. Add in Jason Garrett and you have a HC who will not be a 5+ year guy and a 40 year old coach waiting in the wings to be the next HC in 3 years. It makes a ton of sense.
      If Wade becomes head coach, who do you think he brings in as a coordinator. I would have thought Greg Manusky, but the 49ers snatched him up :evil:

BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Staubach12
        Originally posted by LSUALUM99

Parcells would have certainly been better than anyone we will get. Wade MF Philips, my god that really f'n sucks. The only positive is that he will be gone in two years.
        Honestly, I still think Wade Phillips is the best candidate we've interviewed for the HC job. Wade has a winning record in the NFL as a head coach and is a 3-4 Defensive coach. Add in Jason Garrett and you have a HC who will not be a 5+ year guy and a 40 year old coach waiting in the wings to be the next HC in 3 years. It makes a ton of sense.
        If Wade becomes head coach, who do you think he brings in as a coordinator. I would have thought Greg Manusky, but the 49ers snatched him up :evil:
        Who's to say he wouldn't just promote Bowles to DC. Phillips also went to the playoffs a couple of times with Buffalo, IIRC. Phillips was my favorite before we interviewed Singletary and Rivera. Right now I think my dream scenario is Rivera as HC, Garrett as OC, and Singletary as DC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ward

Who's to say he wouldn't just promote Bowles to DC. Phillips also went to the playoffs a couple of times with Buffalo, IIRC. Phillips was my favorite before we interviewed Singletary and Rivera. Right now I think my dream scenario is Rivera as HC, Garrett as OC, and Singletary as DC.
          You got the right combo there buddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit
            Originally posted by Ward

You got the right combo there buddy.
            yup thats ideal

Comment

• It is a known FACT that Singletary will not leave unless it is for a HC job. He has said, and Mike Nolan has also said this. The only way he will be on the Cowboys ia as their Head Coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ward

I doubt Phillips would promote someone from within, I think he bring in someone of his own. I think Bowles stays as secondary coach. I like Phillips, and I would mind seeing him here.

BoneKrusher

Comment

• draft

i dont know what the cowboys will take, but i do know we need another corner if henry does become safety

Comment

• If Henry goes to FS, I want Asante Samuel. Nick Harper could also be a possibility. I don't want a rookie CB thats for damn sure.

Comment

• If anyone is interested, I got this from another forum. Our picks:

22. Dallas Cowboys
                      54. Dallas Cowboys
                      88. Dallas Cowboys
                      119. Dallas Cowboys
                      150. Dallas Cowboys
                      187. Dallas Cowboys
                      216. Dallas Cowboys
                      217. Dallas Cowboys

Cowboys have Jets 6th rd pick (Pete Hunter, 2005)
                      Cheifs have Cowboys 6th rd pick (Scott Fujita)
                      Cowboys have Saints 7th rd pick (Scott Shanle)

So basically your standard 7 picks,just one extra 7th rounder. Yay

Comment

• Originally posted by Staubach12

You thought right.

Niners coach Mike Nolan was asked last week what indications he had gotten that Manusky has the ability to call defenses during a game. Nolan said he consulted his good friend, Phillips, who gave Manusky the ultimate endorsement.

"Wade was confident that he (Manusky) could do this," Nolan said. "As a matter of fact, Wade had him on the top of his list had he landed the (head coaching) job for the coordinator's position himself."
                        http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=479407

Comment

• Originally posted by edgrenade
                          It is a known FACT that Singletary will not leave unless it is for a HC job. He has said, and Mike Nolan has also said this. The only way he will be on the Cowboys ia as their Head Coach.
                          Somebody sounds scurrrrrrrrrred!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul
                            If Henry goes to FS, I want Asante Samuel. Nick Harper could also be a possibility. I don't want a rookie CB thats for damn sure.
                            We'd all love Samuel... Hell no on Harper... but what if CB was addressed in the first round? I wouldn't mind that at all.

Comment

• Looks like you've got Wade Phillips - Congtrats. Now Norv can stay put

me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me

Comment

• http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2758164

Yup, ESPN just reported it. Announcement will be probably tomorrow. The 3-4 will stay :D, now with a creative mind behind it.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information