X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paul
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2758164

Yup, ESPN just reported it. Announcement will be probably tomorrow. The 3-4 will stay :D, now with a creative mind behind it.
    WOooooo Hooooo!!!! IT'S NOT NORV!!!!! YYYYYYYYYEEEEAAAHHHH!!!!!!!!

Wade? Not my first choice, but I'll take it! I love the 3-4 and I'm happy we're keeping it! Hope this means Donnie Edwards will be a Cowboy too! :D

CTC won't be happy about this HC choice.... lol.

Who will be our DC???

...then again... this is Chris Mortensen's report.... It's still 50/50 in my book.

Comment

• I think Phillips can make Carpenter an hell of a player.. Imagine if Bobby plays an entire season as the game against Seattle!

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

• Originally posted by Modano
        I think Phillips can make Carpenter an hell of a player.. Imagine if Bobby plays an entire season as the game against Seattle!
        He did play pretty crazy that game, it sucks that his coming out game happend in the last game of the season though.

Comment

• I believe I was the first one to call it a while back. Before Garrett was signed.

Garrett as offensive coordinator, and Phillips as head coach.

I did get it from another source, but thats not the point.

Sig thanks to DieHardVikingsFan

Comment

• Well not my first choice either...but i'm happy for the following reasons:

1. Its not Norv so thats the best news i've heard in a long time.

2. We get to stay in the 3-4 with one of the best 3-4 coaches of all time.

3. I can finally stop trolling every internet news site on the planet to find news on the coaching search, and get on with looking at free agency and the draft.

4. Its not Norv Turner

5. Its not Norv Turner

6. Its not Norv Turner

7. Its not Norv Turner

Comment

• Norv was too overhyped througout the whole process. He is not a good leader by any stretch. We'll see if "Bum's son" can be that leader. Good decision imo.

Comment

• Well I am pleased to see Wade phillips as the coach. I think Norv would have been a good choice as well but Wade has done a hell of a job with the San Diego defense. Imagine what he can do with the dallas squad. It will be interesting to see how he handles D-Ware. Ware is a better “pure” linebacker than merriman. All Shawn does is rush the passer. Be fun to see how Wade schemes Ware. I guess that makes garret the coordinator, and likely Wade will bring in his own DC unless Jerry brings in Rivera. We shall see.

As far as free agency/draft, I think it is important to get some linemen ( one guard/one tackle ). Grab a free agent guard to replace Marco, draft a tackle to bring in and groom. I would like to see us grab Nate Clements or Asante Samuel, preferably Asante. Move henry to safety. Booyah. Secondary resolved. Then draft a corner to groom to replace Aaron Glenn. We need to draft a DT who can come in and start backing up Ferguson and replace him within the next year. Reciever is of course the other necessity. With the team this close and some good free agents to plug holes, I would almost go into hock and cough up some picks to move up for one of the premier recievers. It may seem nuts, but would the team be hurt giving up a couple first rounders for Calvin Johnson? ( just floating the idea here folks, don’t go into a frenzy ).

Comment

• Wade Phillips--not a big name, but a solid choice in my opinion. We could still use an experienced offensive guy to come in and help JG out. It will be interesting to see who the D-coordinator is. Maybe we can steal Singletary like the 49ers stole Manusky from Wade.

Comment

• The 49ers will only allow Singletary to leave for a head coaching position. otherwise no dice.

Comment

• draft

i think we need to draft a lineman thats whats been hurting us for awhile.

Comment

• Originally posted by JJJ888
                        Wade Phillips--not a big name, but a solid choice in my opinion. We could still use an experienced offensive guy to come in and help JG out. It will be interesting to see who the D-coordinator is. Maybe we can steal Singletary like the 49ers stole Manusky from Wade.
                        Reason (Wade) over faith (Norv) thankfully. Let us see who the DC is -- maybe Bowles gets it as rumored.

Comment

• Well, now that Wade is on board, expect a heavy dose of blitzing. This is a double edged sword, because it will generate pressure, but also expose the secondary a little bit. With Henry getting older and a lack of quality play out of the safeties, it could go either way.

One thing to note abot Phillips, he does a horrible job developing DB talent. He also exposes them alot with his blitz heavy schemes. So you better hope that front 7 really steps it up this year, because if they don't, the DBs will be in for a long year.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Comment

• I'm optimistic, actually. You have to wonder about Phillips' history with his secondaries, true, but he's never had a player that was anywhere close to what Newman is, either. Plus, Roy Williams is as physically gifted a player at his position as there is in the league, he just doesn't do the peripheral stuff that makes a truly great player. So that is already much more to work with than he ever had at any of his previous stops.

What I'm excited to see is how his presence effects the play of Marcus Spears. He took Luis Castillo--who nearly everyone thought they reached for at the end of the 1st, and was actually projected in the 3rd by some analysts--and turned him from a "overachiever with a great motor" into a true stud in both the run and pass game. Imagine Marcus Spears (who was considered a top 12 talent, but fell down the board due to need) finally living up to his potential. I mean, this guy is a true talent, and I'm sick of not getting the best out of him.

The other thing, naturally, is DeMarcus. If Wade will turn him loose, set him up in ways that will get him matched up with a RB or TE on a regular basis, and have him coming from areas that the defense doesn't expect, than he had a chance to make some serious noise.

Still, you really have to wonder whether he has the leadership capabilities that are needed to be the headman of such a high profile organization. Every time I've seen him being interviewed on TV, I've always thought "Wow, what a tool". Needless to say, a tool is not going to lead us to the Super Bowl. So I'm just praying that I was wrong.
                            Originally posted by 21ST
                            He was protecting his self
                            Originally posted by tjsunstein
                            From what? His leg?
                            Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
                            That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
                            "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
                              I'm optimistic, actually. You have to wonder about Phillips' history with his secondaries, true, but he's never had a player that was anywhere close to what Newman is, either. Plus, Roy Williams is as physically gifted a player at his position as there is in the league, he just doesn't do the peripheral stuff that makes a truly great player. So that is already much more to work with than he ever had at any of his previous stops.

What I'm excited to see is how his presence effects the play of Marcus Spears. He took Luis Castillo--who nearly everyone thought they reached for at the end of the 1st, and was actually projected in the 3rd by some analysts--and turned him from a "overachiever with a great motor" into a true stud in both the run and pass game. Imagine Marcus Spears (who was considered a top 12 talent, but fell down the board due to need) finally living up to his potential. I mean, this guy is a true talent, and I'm sick of not getting the best out of him.

The other thing, naturally, is DeMarcus. If Wade will turn him loose, set him up in ways that will get him matched up with a RB or TE on a regular basis, and have him coming from areas that the defense doesn't expect, than he had a chance to make some serious noise.

Still, you really have to wonder whether he has the leadership capabilities that are needed to be the headman of such a high profile organization. Every time I've seen him being interviewed on TV, I've always thought "Wow, what a tool". Needless to say, a tool is not going to lead us to the Super Bowl. So I'm just praying that I was wrong.
                              Thats gonna be the tough part. He won't have the time to develop these guys as much as you'd like, the HC has more responsibilities than that. He will improve the unit I would assume, and with this young defense having another year under their belt, it will help the cause as well. Having a 3-4 Coordinator now will help immensely. (Im assuming he brings in a 3-4 guy)

The thing with his defense, it pretty much does a heavy dose of blitzing, and uses a "flat four" zone type of scheme with the secondary, or a heavy dose of man coverage with the secondary. That could be an issue, for reasons we won't discuss because we don't want to spark another pointless debate.

Another issue I have, is he won't develop Watkins. I felt that Watkins would be a good FS and with another year of development, he will be the solution. However with Phillips, who knows. He does a piss poor job developing DB talent, and he could stunt the growth of Watkins. So now the question arises, do you draft a safety?

Donnie Edwards made a HUGE difference in that scheme too. Having an ILB who can drop back like that is key in his scheme. He doesn't run the BP/Bellichick/Crennell/Saban scheme that has the ILBs drop in intermediate zones and reroute defenders. He is more agressive, and leaves guys in man coverage alot. That could be a problem with James.

Im curious to hear his press conference. It might answer some questions.

Comment

• Scott has mentioned the possibility of Henry moving to FS in both of his previous mocks. I think those rumors have been greatly exaggerated. I was listening to Jerry's interview on the Ticket when he was asked that after it was mentioned once in the DMN as conjecture and all he said was "It's possible" I would be pretty surprised if that were to really come to fruition as Henry isn't a strong enough tackler to play FS and you don't pay a guy 10 mil to play FS unless it's Ed Reed. I don't think it makes any sense as it would be weakening one position to strengthen another. To be clear I know Henry is a strong tackler for the CB position but it's a lot different when you play FS and are often the last line of defense and I saw Henry miss too many tackles at CB to trust him at FS.

I didn't really have a strong opinion on who the new coach should be other than I thought it should be a defensive minded coach so I like the Wade Phillips hire. We have a lot of talent and potential on defense that has underachieved for the most part and hopefully Phillips can make our D dominating.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information