X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by D-Unit
    Originally posted by CTCowboysFan
    Does anyone know how Wade Philips likes to draft and what direction we might go this year?
    A lot will depend on what we do in FA first.
    True...who do you think we may target?
    "Red Ball"

Comment

• Yay, my numero uno choice got the job. I honestly dont believe that he has to shake up our d too much, I think we should stick with Bradie and Akin in the middle and try to develope one, Bobby Carpenter opposite D Ware. Perfect coach for our personel, lets just say i'm very happy right now. The only negative coming from this is the fact that we lost our chance to Greg Manusky. Here's hoping our next D coord. isn't Todd Bowles.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
      http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
      KO KNOWS

Comment

• I don't think Phillips will have nearly as much muscle as BP in influencing the draft. I think this draft is mostly gonna be run by JJ. If he falls in love with a workout warrior, he will take him, no doubt.

I would look more into what Jerry has done as GM moreso than Wade.

Comment

• Originally posted by CTCowboysFan
          Originally posted by D-Unit
          Does anyone know how Wade Philips likes to draft and what direction we might go this year?
          Andre Gurode, Marc Columbo and Patrick Crayton.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense
            I don't think Phillips will have nearly as much muscle as BP in influencing the draft. I think this draft is mostly gonna be run by JJ. If he falls in love with a workout warrior, he will take him, no doubt.

Yeah, I agree. Bust city, here we come! :|

Comment

Andre Gurode, Marc Columbo and Patrick Crayton.
              :roll: smart A$$

Yeah Gurode, Crayton, and Colombo are free agent priorities. I am asking NEW free agent targets such as Eric Steinbach.
              "Red Ball"

Comment

• Screw the draft lets just trade every pick we have to get Ed Reed... that's all we really need.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                KO KNOWS

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense
                  I don't think Phillips will have nearly as much muscle as BP in influencing the draft. I think this draft is mostly gonna be run by JJ. If he falls in love with a workout warrior, he will take him, no doubt.

Yeah, I agree. Bust city, here we come! :|
                  well....in defense of JJ.....he got some good guys once in awhile......

........ :|

Comment

• Hopefully JJ has learned something from BP when it comes to the draft. HOPEFULLY.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul
                      Hopefully JJ has learned something from BP when it comes to the draft. HOPEFULLY.
                      As long as we have Jeff Ireland, we should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
                        Hopefully JJ has learned something from BP when it comes to the draft. HOPEFULLY.
                        Good point. I was thinking the same thing. I think Ireland will have a lot more sway this time around.

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
                        Albert Camus

Comment

• To BBDs big write up, I say we have Roy lose weight, which he already mentioned, and move Carp to ILB and develop him into that cover guy. With that move, I wouldn't be surprised to see a pass rusher ala Jarvas Moss drafted.I think with JJ (and Ireland) drafting, I think we'll be more likely to go offense in the 1st, whether that be OL or WR.

BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense
                            A couple of things to note.

Wade Phillips has coached in the 3-4 and 46 philosophy his whole life. He has incorporated alot of 46 principles into his 3-4 (I made a Buddy Ryan thread in the NFL forum awhile ago, and after some research of my own have learned a great deal about how the scheme has been incorporated into today's schemes).

Now the thing thats relevant to the Cowboys is how this scheme is executed. Like I said before, he runs alot of heavy blitzing, man coverage schemes. Theres alot of different ways to blitz. Especially in the 3-4. Theres the zone blitzing schemes (used heavily by LeBeau), the fireman scheme (used heavily by Phillips and Jim Johnson of the Eagles, also Greg Williams), and a combination of both philosophies (used by BP, Bellichick, that coaching tree, uses alot of LB zones with man coverage on the edges and Cover 1, Cover 0 techniques).

Now why is this relevant? Because the personell requires some changes to execute the different schemes.

Remember, just because he coaches a 3-4 doesn't mean that its the same requirements out of personnell as BP's 3-4. Just like theres a ton of ways to run a 4-3 defense, there are also a lot of different ways to run a 3-4, and different styles require different personnell.

Phillip's defense failed miserably in Atlanta because he forced his scheme on a personnell that couldn't make it work. In Buffalo and SD, he had the personnell for it.

Here in Dallas, he has some personnell for it, but there will be changes required to make it work.

1. He needs a pass coverage LB. The intermediate zones and rerouting etc won't be used that much, so James and Akin will be left in man coverage. I don't think it can work with these 2 guys, he needs to bring in a guy who can survive in man coverage from the ILB position. Perhaps Donnie Edwards? Or he might burden that responsibility on Akin, and use James the same way he used Godfrey. Or he moves Carp inside. We'll see how that goes

2. He needs a SS who can cover. Yes, his SS wasn't great in SD, but he uses both his OLBs as DEs, and that puts added pressure on the SS to be good in coverage. While his SS wasn't great in SD, he was much better in coverage than what the Cowboys have. Agree with it or not, thats the honest truth. So this could present a problem. I still feel the mentioned SS can become alot better if he loses weight. Let's face it, he's not hitting the film room, he's been in the league for awhile, if he didn't do it by now he won't ever do it. The only hope is for him to lose weight, and improve his recovery speed. The pass rush will help his cause as well.

Other than that, I think youre fine. You have good CBs who can hold up in man coverage. You have a dline who can develop into playmakers with some more experience, you have edge rushers in Ware and Ellis.

The question is what he does with Carp. In BP's scheme, he wouldve been used as a Carl Banks type, but Phillips uses his OLBs as almost exclusive pass rushers. Does he move Carp inside? Will this stunt his growth?

Just some things to consider.
                            Great thoughts. So hypothetically this raises lots of Q ......

DB: Do we get a SS internally? Watkins or Elam? Do we move Henry to FS and draft a CB? Revis or Ross?

LB: Do we move Burnett inside to be the Donnie Edwards type? Or get Donnie Edwards? Who sits Ayodele or James? Who is most tradable?

DL: Can Fergie protect a smaller ILB like Burnett as well as Jamaal Williams? Will Spears and Canty and Hatcher become pass rushers?

And WTF do we do with Roy?

Comment

• Originally posted by Poet3334
                              Good point. I was thinking the same thing. I think Ireland will have a lot more sway this time around.
                              I think Ireland is gone once BP comes back next year. JJ loves the player personnel stuff.

To BBD: Since Johnson, JJ's drafts have been very bad. JJ's trades even worse.

Comment

• Originally posted by robert_in_bigd
                                Originally posted by Poet3334
                                I think Ireland is gone once BP comes back next year. JJ loves the player personnel stuff.

To BBD: Since Johnson, JJ's drafts have been very bad. JJ's trades even worse.
                                Aint' that the truth. Although the Roy Williams, Al Johnson, Jason Witten, Bradie James draft was an improvement.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information