This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H.
    We could go James and Burnett in the middle. With Ware and Ellis/Carp playing outside... I guess I wouldnt be too opposed to that but, i find it unlikely considering the giant contract we dished out to Akin. I also, cannot see us benching Bradie... it very complicated, Wade will have his work cut out for him.
    Carp won't get time to play outside unless Greg Ellis is out of the picture.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit
      Originally posted by M.O.T.H.
      We could go James and Burnett in the middle. With Ware and Ellis/Carp playing outside... I guess I wouldnt be too opposed to that but, i find it unlikely considering the giant contract we dished out to Akin. I also, cannot see us benching Bradie... it very complicated, Wade will have his work cut out for him.
      Carp won't get time to play outside unless Greg Ellis is out of the picture.
      Ellis is old...Carp will have plenty of time this year. Will it be enough to make him worth of the 18th pick....unlikely...but to say he won't see time with ellis there is a bit on the deep end.

Comment

• I dont see having too many guys as a problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigmac076
          I dont see having too many guys as a problem.
          Me neither, especially in the 3-4. I'd be worried if we lost any one of these guys.

Comment

• I just think it will be hard to find the starters. Having interchangeable parts is only a good thing, keeps our guys fresh. We have a pretty good D-Line rotation... we could use another NT obviously though. We should be fine, especially with Wade running the show... it makes me so happy to say that.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
            http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
            KO KNOWS

Comment

• I was reading at btb...and ran across this.

It's a fortuitous day here at BTB. I managed to get my hands on a Wade Phillips defensive playbook of recent vintage. I can't post it, and I'm not going to post any of the specific plays or diagrams, that would be wrong. But I can quote from it and analyze the different formations and blitzes he uses. It's long and detailed so it's going to take me a while to get all the way through it, but it should give me some significant insight into the Phillips 34.

It won't tell me anything that the rest of the NFL coaching staffs don't know, they've been watching film on the Phillips 34 for years, make that decades. They know all about his defenses. San Diego players mentioned some of the philosophy in quotes when he was hired in Dallas. They all talked about his attacking style. But it's interesting to see it defined.

Over the next week or so I'll be posting my observations after reading through it. But let me give you some of the philosophy about the Phillips 34, straight from the playbook.

The opening line states that the defense is an attacking defense. Music to your ears? I thought so.

It further states we will play zone, man-to-man and blitz in any situation. In all situations we will defend the inside or middle of the field first - defend inside to outside. We will not allow the ball to be run inside, we want to force the ball outside. We will not allow the ball to be thrown deep down the middle or inside. We want to force the ball to be thrown short and/or outside.

It also talks about eliminating mental mistakes, using different personnel packages in different situations, the importance of communication between the players, and being a physical defense. The final section of the philosophy chapter ends with this - Finally, our job is to take the ball away from the opponents offense and score or set up good field position for the offense. We must knock the ball loose, force mistakes, and cause turnovers. Turnovers win games!
              Personnel Packages kinda opened my eyes abit.

Comment

• I think they should keep Carp on the outside. He was showing lots of promise at the end of the season.

Brady can work on the inside, he's the run thumper. You have to compliment him with a quick sideline guy in Phillip's scheme, he's gonna do less LB zones than BP did.

The problem is, what made Edwards work so well in SD is the front 3. That front 3 was dominant, and made sure that Edwards was untouched back there. Does Dallas have that? We don't know. Fergy is solid, but he's no Jamal Williams. Spears and Canty need to step their game up, theyve been average players so far in their development. If they can step it up, it can work. If they continue to be average, the defense will be average in the pass game still.

One of the big misconceptions of the 3-4 defense is that the LB core is the most important piece. Thats not true. Just like any defense, the battles are won and lost in the trenches. SD, NE, Pitt, they have great trench players in their 3-4. Dallas as of right now, doesn't. For the defense to take the next step, the trench players ( the DEs in particular) must take their game to the next level. A solid TC could help them.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense

One of the big misconceptions of the 3-4 defense is that the LB core is the most important piece. Thats not true. Just like any defense, the battles are won and lost in the trenches. SD, NE, Pitt, they have great trench players in their 3-4. Dallas as of right now, doesn't. For the defense to take the next step, the trench players ( the DEs in particular) must take their game to the next level. A solid TC could help them.
                  QFT. IMO the 34 is built inside out. every 34 needs a dominant NT and then ends then linebackers, then secondary.

Comment

• Brian Stewart DC?
                    San Diego Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner has hired Baylor defensive coordinator Bill Bradley, a former NFL secondary coach for the Buffalo Bills and New York Jets, to work alongside fellow Chargers' secondary coach Brian Stewart...
                    http://baylorbears.cstv.com/sports/m...022107aaa.html

The Baylor press release said Bradley will work alongside secondary coach Brian Stewart. But Bradley has a lot of skins on the wall to be an assistant secondary coach. He was a three-time Pro Bowler and has six seasons of experience as an NFL secondary coach.

Three of those seasons were with Wade Phillips' Bills. Ted Cottrell, the Chargers' new defensive coordinator, was the DC on that team.

Sounds to me like Cottrell got a guy he's comfortable with to replace Stewart. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Stewart winds up as the Cowboys' defensive coordinator.
                    http://cowboys.beloblog.com/archives...n_the_way.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Im_a_Romosexual
                      Originally posted by bigbluedefense

QFT. IMO the 34 is built inside out. every 34 needs a dominant NT and then ends then linebackers, then secondary.
                      I can't stress enough how badly we need a NT. I know I might sound like a broken record, but Fergy is just not dominant. Tyler's stock has been dropping and I like that. If we can scoop him in round 2, I will be the happiest man alive. Reggie Nelson in Round 1 and Tyler in Round 2... OK Ok ok... Somebody slap me... wake me up. That thought lasted to long, but it was nice while it lasted. :(

Comment

• BBD, you simply love Parcells..
                        I like what Parcells has done for us. He turned a bad team in a team with a lot of potential. He brang some good guys who can be stars and helped them developing..
                        On the other hand I don't like the old Parcells. There's a part of Parcells who seemed to live in the past. At the end of the season I didn't like Parcells so much anymore.. He simply looked old every now and then... He looked without passion..
                        And there's another part of Parcells I really don't like. It's the "Anthony Fasano's part". He always drafted his type of guys, Fasano is the perfect example. Some guys we didn't need but he likes because they remember him of his old players..That's a reason why he wanted to sign Rivera, his prototype OG.
                        And if we have a very talented team (and I think we do) why Parcells wasn't able to succeed? We have to admit or that the team is not so talented or that Parcells wasn't so good as a coach. I'm for the second one. We have talent. Parcells was good in bringing talent, but he wasn't so good in coaching anymore..
                        He simply got outcoached in december. Sean Payton outcoached him. It's not only a matter of players not performing. Who was the guy who decided to put Keith Davis covering deep? We had TO and Glenn against Fred Thomas and two bad safeties and we weren't able to score. Our defense got torched by the opposite FB for two consecutive games..

And you said that when we blitzed we were picked apart. That's because the defense was so confused.. The blitzes' scheme were just bad. And that was because of Zimmer. It's not a matter of talente. Look at what Wade Phillips has done in San Diego. He had Godfrey starting outside and he turned him in a 10 sack guy. He had Phillips starting outside and he did the same.
                        Our defense was so confused last year. There's a reason why our DEs weren't able to recognise a running play from a passing play, and that's coaching. Zimmer was a bad coach in the 3-4, our talent was wasted under him.

Abut Greg Ellis.. Hmm.. I'm not so sure he's gonna be the starter. Carpenter really broke out against Seattle, he was just amazing. Ellis is old and slower, and he suffered a major injury. I think he will be a part-time player. Carpenter could be a great player under Wade Phillips.
                        What we need is a change on the inside. We miss Dat. I want Burnett and Ayodele starting inside. Ayodele is better than James..

And about Roy Williams, he started the season very well. Do you remember? He was covering good, and Watkins was the guy who was exposed.. He's not a great cover guy, but he's for sure better of Terrence Kiel, even in coverage.
                        Do you remember that the opposite teams had always like 6-7 seconds to throw the ball?

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

• Can't wait for the combine!

Comment

• Originally posted by Modano
                            BBD, you simply love Parcells..
                            I like what Parcells has done for us. He turned a bad team in a team with a lot of potential. He brang some good guys who can be stars and helped them developing..
                            On the other hand I don't like the old Parcells. There's a part of Parcells who seemed to live in the past. At the end of the season I didn't like Parcells so much anymore.. He simply looked old every now and then... He looked without passion..
                            I have to first start off by saying this is one of the most disrespectful posts I've seen from a Cowboys fan in a while. I'm not talking about this quote above... I'm talking about your entire post. It pisses me off that people can be so ungrateful and be so quick to place blame and hate.

I'm trying to translate what you just said above because it simply makes no sense to me. You stated that you like what Parcells did in turning the team around... but you don't like how he did it??? You don't like his appearance of being old and without passion? Since when does your appearance determine your passion? A single snarl look from Parcells could tell a helluva lot more than a lot of coaches do yelling their heads off. ...and you're hating him because he "looks old"??? C'mon now...

Originally posted by Modano
                            And there's another part of Parcells I really don't like. It's the "Anthony Fasano's part". He always drafted his type of guys, Fasano is the perfect example. Some guys we didn't need but he likes because they remember him of his old players..That's a reason why he wanted to sign Rivera, his prototype OG.
                            Now just stop right there... You can't hate on Fasano to make your point about how bad Parcells' draft strategies were and love Ware, Carpenter, Newman, Witten, etc. You think you know Parcells' style of football better than him, well enough to tell us all what we "need"? TEs have always been a big part of Parcells' offenses. ...and Fasano was a freakin' rookie brah. Don't pull your trigger to fast and start to call him a bust or wasted pick.

...and Rivera is supposed to remind him of one of his old players and fits his prototype OG? Where the heck are you going with that one?

And if we have a very talented team (and I think we do) why Parcells wasn't able to succeed? We have to admit or that the team is not so talented or that Parcells wasn't so good as a coach. I'm for the second one. We have talent. Parcells was good in bringing talent, but he wasn't so good in coaching anymore.
                            Don't act like BP is such a terrible coach. Have you forgotten that we had to live with Bledsoe for 1/4 the season and we still reached the playoffs with a lot of youth, mediocre veterans, a 4-3 defensive coordinator and an OL with more holes than swish cheese. We would've had 0 Pro Bowl offensive lineman if Bledsoe was our QB the entire year. Had Romo held onto the ball who knows how far we could've gone? Our team endured a lot of wacky things that I've never seen in the history of football.

He simply got outcoached in december. Sean Payton outcoached him. It's not only a matter of players not performing. Who was the guy who decided to put Keith Davis covering deep? We had TO and Glenn against Fred Thomas and two bad safeties and we weren't able to score. Our defense got torched by the opposite FB for two consecutive games..
                            Wait just a minute now. Are you listening to yourself talk? Sean Payton was our OC last year buddy. Ya think he might've had just a slight advantage over us in that match up? Gee I wonder if he had any idea of the weaknesses in our players and our scheme? Ask Gruden how helpful that was in beating the Raiders to get his SB ring. ...that was the ulitmate cheat bowl.

And you said that when we blitzed we were picked apart. That's because the defense was so confused.. The blitzes' scheme were just bad. And that was because of Zimmer. It's not a matter of talente. Look at what Wade Phillips has done in San Diego. He had Godfrey starting outside and he turned him in a 10 sack guy. He had Phillips starting outside and he did the same.
                            Our defense was so confused last year. There's a reason why our DEs weren't able to recognise a running play from a passing play, and that's coaching. Zimmer was a bad coach in the 3-4, our talent was wasted under him.
                            Let's get one thing straight.... San Deigo had the #1 Offense in the league and THAT'S what they were known for. Outscoring their opponents. I wonder what Parcells would've done with Ladanian Tomlinson? Hmm.... Before we crown Phillips, realize his defense often came in well rested... with a lead (which allows for more aggressive play calling) and that their 3-4 defense has a rock of a NT holding them together.

Abut Greg Ellis.. Hmm.. I'm not so sure he's gonna be the starter. Carpenter really broke out against Seattle, he was just amazing. Ellis is old and slower, and he suffered a major injury. I think he will be a part-time player. Carpenter could be a great player under Wade Phillips.
                            Meh. You hate Fasano and love Carpenter because he had one good game. What's it gonna take? One good game from Fasano to make you a believer?

This was your worst post ever Modano. Don't take it personal. I'm just making sure you get your facts straight. Hating on Parcells always lights a fire in me. The old timers all know that.

Comment

• I'm not hating, D.. And not being american limits my possibility to express correctly what I want to say..
                              The thing that I dislike of Parcells was his attitude to find "his" players, but in my mind "his" type of players were good for the NFL of 10 years ago.. This is the reason I didn't like the Fasano's pick.. He brings to his team Vinny Testaverde and Drew Bledsoe.. I can understand that we didn't have nothing better and that Parcells was force to deal with Drew "waste of a 3rd round" Henson, but Vinny was just a done player and Bledsoe was the same Bledsoe we knew.. But why hasn't he started Romo from game 1 this year? I think that is a matter of loyality, he wanted to give his old scolar Bledsoe another chance.. But today in the NFL there's no place for loyality, it's all business..
                              I don't mean any disrespect, because I really like his abilities to grow up players and the way he turned our team into a good one.. But I simply think that he wasn't the old tuna on the field anymore and sometimes it seems that the game has passed him..

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

• Originally posted by thule
                                We are all so lucky to have you Tnewmanfan. Damn you BBD just leave its not like you actually use logic or have common sense. :|
                                Ok, let me rephrase it, Parcells is an idiot now. Who puts Aaron Glenn on Roy Williams? And I know that wasn't zimmer. What is with this CB switching crap, put your #1 corner on the #1 reciever, thats it. He always had to oversee EVERYTHING. jeez, just let your coaches coach.

The bottom line is, Parcells was holding us back, and now we are going to dominate because Wade gives players freedom.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information