Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think people are going crazy around here. Blowing up on people for no good reason.

Comment

• What exactly is a Rover?

Comment

• Originally posted by nrcirc
        Originally posted by bigmac076
        Originally posted by nrcirc
        I hard that Wade play 3-4 on the first two downs and 4-3 on the third down in SD, if this is truth, we may see Carp, Ware, and Ellis play together over 30% on the defense play. If we do play over 30% 4-3, we should draft a regular 4-3 DT with good pass rush. I agree that we do need NT but not Tank Tyler (too slow). I would rather play Stanley.

Tank Tyler = last year Rodrique Wright or Kai Parham.
        I talked with thule about this very scenario, and we both think on 3rd and long he would play a nickle, with four down lineman. Ware and Ellis at the ends, Ratliff and Hatcher inside. Burnett as the lone LB, Roy as the rover, and 5 DBs(obviously).
        First that is not a 4-3, and I believe your front four a little light. I am not sure you can stop the run either. I would put Carp and Canty in and move Roy back to SS.
        Why dont you try reading my whole post guy? I'll repost it.

I talked with thule about this very scenario, and we both think on 3rd and long he would play a nickle, with four down lineman. Ware and Ellis at the ends, Ratliff and Hatcher inside. Burnett as the lone LB, Roy as the rover, and 5 DBs(obviously).

Your right my friend, its not a 4-3, its a nickle.

Comment

• Well Seattle just Taged Josh Brown, so that's out the window. Any other options? Or are we content with Grammatica?

Comment

• Originally posted by bigmac076
            Originally posted by bigmac076
            I hard that Wade play 3-4 on the first two downs and 4-3 on the third down in SD, if this is truth, we may see Carp, Ware, and Ellis play together over 30% on the defense play. If we do play over 30% 4-3, we should draft a regular 4-3 DT with good pass rush. I agree that we do need NT but not Tank Tyler (too slow). I would rather play Stanley.

Tank Tyler = last year Rodrique Wright or Kai Parham.
            First that is not a 4-3, and I believe your front four a little light. I am not sure you can stop the run either. I would put Carp and Canty in and move Roy back to SS.
            Why dont you try reading my whole post guy? I'll repost it.

Your right my friend, its not a 4-3, its a nickle.
            My bad. It should said third and very long.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul
              Well Seattle just Taged Josh Brown, so that's out the window. Any other options? Or are we content with Grammatica?
              to answer your questions: No and No

WHOOT!!!!! the 5,000th reply!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense
                Originally posted by LSUALUM99
                Ok, people.

Here's a pop quiz -

Name the SD starting OLB on the strong side.......(spoiler down below)

Name the SD starting ILB opposite Donnie Edwards?.......

FYI - it's NOT Shaun Phillips, it's STEVE FOLEY. Yes, you remember, the guy that got shot by the POLICE outside his own house this past off season. Foley had a total of 1 sack in his previous 3 years combined before going to SD. His first year in SD he had 10 sacks. And they didn't even have Merriman opposite him that first year.

The bottom line is that it proves 2 things. 1) You need multiple people at every position because you never know who will need to step in. So stop all the Trade Bradie James or trade this guy...just keep them all. There's an idea. 2) That Wade Phillips' scheme allows LBs to make plays. You never look at the NE defense and think, wow, they really get after the QB. You think, wow, they confuse the QB and cause turnovers that way. Both ways work, we're just going to change the way we do it. Which makes sense given the problems we have at S.
                Always good to hear from you. You make an excellent point. Something to note though, the last time NE won the SB, in 2004, they were 2nd in the league in sacks. #1 was Pittsburgh. Both use the 2 gap scheme. Pitt uses alot of zone blitzing out of the scheme, whereas NE uses the same scheme as BP. The thing with the 2 gap scheme is you need selfless DEs to swallow their pride and let the guys behind them make the plays.

Now Phillips method works, and very well may work better with the current staff in Dallas. But like I said earlier, the scheme change means nothing if the players don't develop this year. Ware, Spears, Canty, Carpenter...they all need to develop as players.

This year's defense will rely more on their individual developments than the scheme. I think the development of those young guys is the most important key to the defense next year. If they come out this upcoming year with the same skillset we saw this past year, I don't see an improvement coming. If however, they take their games to another level with the experience theyre developing, then its a whole different story. Only time will tell, and TC will be a big part of the development of this defense.
                Thanks, always good to hear from you as well BBD.

There is no doubt that NE's defense is always good. Often, it's better than people give it credit for. They are never going to be confused with the 85 bears or even the 06 Chargers as far as getting after the QB though.

For instance they had 45 sacks that year (2004) but the average # of sacks for each team was 37.5 so it's not as if they were THAT much more effective at getting after the QB (SD had 60 sacks this past year by comparison). Also by comparison the Cowboys had 34 sacks this year. So they averaged a little less than 1 more a game. Again, not setting the world on fire with sack totals.

What NE has always done is force alot of interceptions through confusing their defensive looks. That's one of the reasons that year in and year out they appear to be able to plug in anyone at the DB position and that player is effective.

Ultimately, the scheme plays a very large role in determining the 3-4 success. I think that Wade's scheme will fare better than Parcells' scheme because Wade will focus on it more and on the offense less than Parcells. I think the single biggest problem we had is that BP had too many things on his plate (albeit, by his own design). He couldn't rely on his DC because Zimmer didn't know the 3-4 well enough.

Designs by Thule

Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
                I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul
                  Well Seattle just Taged Josh Brown, so that's out the window. Any other options? Or are we content with Grammatica?
                  That was pretty much a sure thing.

To be honest, I want to draft Mason Crosby in Round 2. I'll be the first to say it too. :D I want him in Round F'n 2!

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit
                    Originally posted by Paul

To be honest, I want to draft Mason Crosby in Round 2. I'll be the first to say it too. :D I want him in Round F'n 2!
                    I'd be ok with him in Round 3. 2 just seems too soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ward
                      Originally posted by D-Unit
                      Originally posted by Paul

I'd be ok with him in Round 3. 2 just seems too soon.
                      I fully agree...when was the last time a kicker was taken in the first two rounds and turned into a great player?

Comment

• drafing a kicker in the first or second round is insane. I could tolerate crosby in the third although I still dont think we'll draft one at all except maybe late day 2

Comment

• Well Phillips did draft Jason Elam...a kid with a big leg. Similarities are striking. I still would rather wait till the second day. I mean after all kickers can be found later in the draft. Day 1 picks for some reason don't always translate...which is weird...because you would think you just kick the ball. However some guys just don't adjust right away. I wonder why this is? I remember Jdallas talking about the tee and stuff but I'm not sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by thule
                            Well Phillips did draft Jason Elam...a kid with a big leg. Similarities are striking. I still would rather wait till the second day. I mean after all kickers can be found later in the draft. Day 1 picks for some reason don't always translate...which is weird...because you would think you just kick the ball. However some guys just don't adjust right away. I wonder why this is? I remember Jdallas talking about the tee and stuff but I'm not sure.
                            What round?

Comment

• Originally posted by leroyisgod
                              Originally posted by thule
                              Well Phillips did draft Jason Elam...a kid with a big leg. Similarities are striking. I still would rather wait till the second day. I mean after all kickers can be found later in the draft. Day 1 picks for some reason don't always translate...which is weird...because you would think you just kick the ball. However some guys just don't adjust right away. I wonder why this is? I remember Jdallas talking about the tee and stuff but I'm not sure.
                              What round?
                              3rd I believe 70th overall.

Comment

• Cowboys Coaching Staff to date

Assistant Head Coach: Tony Sparano
                                Offensive Coordinator: Jason Garrett
                                Quarterbacks: Wade Wilson
                                Wide Receivers: Ray Sherman
                                Tight Ends: John Garrett
                                Running Backs: Skip Peete
                                Offensive Assistant/Quality Control: Wesley Phillips

Defensive Coordinator: Brian Stewart?
                                Linebackers: Paul Pasqualoni
                                Defensive Line: Kacy Rodgers
                                Secondary: Todd Bowles
                                Assistant Linebackers/Defensive Quality Control: Dat Nguyen

Special Teams: Bruce Read
                                Strength and Conditioning: Joe Juraszek

We officially hired wade wilson today.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information