Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dallas Cowboys Discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Modano View Post
    Last year Ayodele easily outperformed James.

    First half of the season James played better. Second half he fell off a cliff -- particularly in coverage. The TE and FB/RB coverage problems in no small way has lots to do with Bradie.

    Comment


    • So... David Carr's about to be thrown on his ass... What does everyone think of him as a backup to push Romo in Dallas for the starting job?

      Comment


      • no too expensive and we signed johnson although hes old and Romo is the man for us next year

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Im_a_Romosexual View Post
          no too expensive and we signed johnson although hes old and Romo is the man for us next year
          Realistically though its only expensive this year... After which we will have surely made the decision who our starting QB is... Romo is currently only on contract for this year. Johnson i assume can be cut at just about any time... and if Romo doesnt recover from last year... We are left in the same hole as the last five years with nothing to cover our butts.

          At least with Carr we have a QB with starting experience(every game of the last four seasons)... Hes been hit so often he feels like a tackling dummy but he still gets up which shows hes durable. And he plays a little like Romo from what i have seen anyway.

          If the price is right i think we should definately make a run for him...

          Comment


          • Originally posted by shane_man View Post
            Realistically though its only expensive this year... After which we will have surely made the decision who our starting QB is... Romo is currently only on contract for this year. Johnson i assume can be cut at just about any time... and if Romo doesnt recover from last year... We are left in the same hole as the last five years with nothing to cover our butts.

            At least with Carr we have a QB with starting experience(every game of the last four seasons)... Hes been hit so often he feels like a tackling dummy but he still gets up which shows hes durable. And he plays a little like Romo from what i have seen anyway.

            If the price is right i think we should definately make a run for him...
            I agree...for the right price he would be valuable. Not only for his talent and experience but also for the leverage he would give us in our contract negotiations with Romo here in the near future.

            Comment


            • We're negotiating with Ken Hamlin today per the Ticket radio station in Dallas. I doubt Jerry would let him get out of town without a signed contract. I like the signing but I think he's really more of a SS and I hope this doesn't preclude us from taking a FS in the first like Reggie Nelson.

              Comment


              • I feel the same, he would of been a SS if it wasn't for Boulware. But he should still be a abit of upgrade when it comes to coverage. And probably on passing downs we'll see him and Watkins out there at the same time.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Paul View Post
                  I feel the same, he would of been a SS if it wasn't for Boulware. But he should still be a abit of upgrade when it comes to coverage. And probably on passing downs we'll see him and Watkins out there at the same time.
                  Sit Roy on passing downs? Sort of defeats the point of saying he "needs to play in the box more to be effective?"

                  For that, you might as well play an additional LB and get more run support / blitzing potential. A 3-5-3 of sorts.

                  Not sure I get all talk of rotating Roy. If he can't play SS -- then he can't play SS. SS needs to be able to cover as well as run support seemlessly. Put him back at FS like when he was a rookie and play predominantly man-up coverage -- these fress him into his Rover spot we all talk of.

                  Comment


                  • Per NFL.com, Justin Blalock is coming for a visit, what do you think of that?

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by robert_in_bigd View Post
                      Sit Roy on passing downs? Sort of defeats the point of saying he "needs to play in the box more to be effective?"

                      For that, you might as well play an additional LB and get more run support / blitzing potential. A 3-5-3 of sorts.

                      Not sure I get all talk of rotating Roy. If he can't play SS -- then he can't play SS. SS needs to be able to cover as well as run support seemlessly. Put him back at FS like when he was a rookie and play predominantly man-up coverage -- these fress him into his Rover spot we all talk of.
                      why the heck would we play him at FS! he is best at SS...FS have to be good at covering...SS not as much...i think you have the positions mixed up...he cant play free safety but is good at SS...he played SS his first year by the way thats y he was so effective...woodson was playing free...from the lack of productivity in recent years he has had to play FS at times and thats when he got burned constantly...

                      Dallas Cowboys 07-08 Superbowl CHAMPS!

                      Comment


                      • Uh guys.. I dunno what the argument is about... but if Hamlin signs, he'll be our starting FS and Roy will stay where he is.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by mtmock View Post
                          why the heck would we play him at FS! he is best at SS...FS have to be good at covering...SS not as much...i think you have the positions mixed up...he cant play free safety but is good at SS...he played SS his first year by the way thats y he was so effective...woodson was playing free...from the lack of productivity in recent years he has had to play FS at times and thats when he got burned constantly...
                          I may be nuts but Roy was a FS in the Campo 4-3. He did little coverage because Woodson/Coakley covered the TE most of the time and they played mostly man. Roy was a FS in the sense he was a safety and was "free" to roam. So he could play with more abandon near the line.

                          Labels are not of interest to me (so if I mis-spoke I apologize) but I am interested moreso in how he was used. The SS position in the current Cowboys scheme was similar tp what Woodie and Coakley played in some form back in '02.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                            Uh guys.. I dunno what the argument is about... but if Hamlin signs, he'll be our starting FS and Roy will stay where he is.
                            Depends on how Wade uses his FS and Corners. I dunno much about his system. If we go Cover 1 you are right -- Hamlin in Centerfield.

                            Cover 0 probably not. Cover 0 will likely free Roy to blitz or play near the line with Hamlin picking up the TE.

                            Maybe I am crazy but my assumption is the SS primary role in coverage is the TE and Roy is bad at that.

                            Can someone comment properly on that.
                            Last edited by robert_in_bigd; 03-22-2007, 04:41 PM.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by robert_in_bigd View Post
                              I may be nuts but Roy was a FS in the Campo 4-3. He did little coverage because Woodson/Coakley covered the TE most of the time and they played mostly man. Roy was a FS in the sense he was a safety and was "free" to roam. So he could play with more abandon near the line.

                              Labels are not of interest to me (so if I mis-spoke I apologize) but I am interested moreso in how he was used. The SS position in the current Cowboys scheme was similar tp what Woodie and Coakley played in some form back in '02.
                              in a sense you are right, but roy williams is a SS in the sense that is the safety that hits...the FS is the cover guy, kind of like a 3rd corner who hits harder...the labels can mislead...but he has struggled covering as a FS and is a top3 SS in the league...i hope we move him around more and that is what wade plans to do

                              Dallas Cowboys 07-08 Superbowl CHAMPS!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by mtmock View Post
                                in a sense you are right, but roy williams is a SS in the sense that is the safety that hits...the FS is the cover guy, kind of like a 3rd corner who hits harder...the labels can mislead...but he has struggled covering as a FS and is a top3 SS in the league...i hope we move him around more and that is what wade plans to do
                                SS is a safety that hits? No wonder we have issues at SS. We completely are confusing that position with a LB. I am sorry to say too much ESPN "Jacked-Up" highlights are confusing us. Take a look at this article, it may help us all understand what a SS is supposed to do......

                                http://www.dallascowboys.com/news.cf...7C16E92C35AB73

                                Someone else posted it but it certainly helps.

                                Roy given what he wants to do and the fact that no coach seems to be able to fix his lack of disipline needs to go BACK to FS in a Cover 0 scheme where he can freelance. Assuming we want to "put Roy in a position to contribute." {Code words for "not a good team mate"}. You want to move him around and play rover ---- make him a FS. And no, he is not a top 3 SS and never was. He can't cover a TE and if you can't then it is like saying you are a top 3 receiver but have bad hands.

                                SS is a position that requires discipline more than big hits. Again, maybe I am nuts but I think most fans are really confused about what a SS does in a base 4-3 or base 3-4.

                                Hitting is nice but a "positive residue" of playing the position properly.
                                Last edited by robert_in_bigd; 03-23-2007, 09:46 AM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information