Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dallas Cowboys Discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by duckseason View Post
    Here's a question for you guys- Which individual player do expect to make the biggest improvement as a direct result of the new scheme? Why?
    This is an easy one for me.
    Akin Ayodele...he will be in his second year in the 3-4. We saw how much he improved just over one year from start to finish. He is down a couple of lbs. and should translate into a bit more quickness. Akin was a DE in college and a Sam backer in Jacksonville. I really think that translates well into how Wade uses his WILB. This defense is everything that complements Ayodele so it'll be interesting to see if it translates on the field.

    For anyone who claims henry...beware he was torched a couple of times in mini camp...now I'm not buying alot in shorts type stuff...but you would think that he might have had some good write-ups...and I haven't seen any.

    Spears is getting great reports...so I think that's reassuring. If I had to pick a DE tho...it's going to be Hatcher...seems to me like an ideal one gap DE.

    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Furgy puts up a year just as good as any top 3 NT in a 3-4 scheme this year. A couple of people around here really didn't appreciate what he accomplished last year...if I had one knock...it would be too much penetration from him last year...which hosed the middle of our defense...but that wasn't often.

    Our OLB's are going to get to the QB...I'm not worried about that.

    Our cb's are fine...but Henry is on my hotseat. I want to see him put up this year. Glenn need to continue showing he hasn't lost a step. I really want to see Butler and Ball make strides and even see some occasional nickel action towards the end of the year.

    Roy is going to be at home...Wade realizes minimizing a players weakness's. However Roy will probably have more of an effect this year that goes on noticed. I can't see him having a huge sack total. I think he'll be right around that 5 int's spot. I think he'll be just about average in one on one coverage. I just don't think he will improve enough to be called the most improve. I mean if he is not playing deep and stopping the deep play you can't say he improved in that area. I think he will have a good year...but that just has more to do with getting him out of his weak zones and keeping him up.

    Hamlin is going to earn himself a nice pay check this year...count it. The only way this doesn't happen is if Watkins really turns it on...which isn't that much of an outside shot. But Hamlin is going to have a hell of a year...and whether he gets his paycheck from us or not is up to Watkins imo.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by duckseason View Post
      Here's a question for you guys- Which individual player do expect to make the biggest improvement as a direct result of the new scheme? Why?
      This maybe the easiest or most obvious pick, but I would say Spears. He actually sounds happy with the new scheme and has gotten some rave reviews by some of the correspondents at mini-camp. Plus, I really believe he wants the shake the word "bust" from the discussion when his name is brought up. It maybe just wishful thinking, since I was big fan of his at LSU, but I aspect a vast improvement this season....


      ...God I hope he improves.

      Comment


      • If i could pick one guy that i would hope to have improve the most, i think i may go with julius jones. im not sure but i might take the julius jones who played in those 8 games his rookie season over an improved defensive player.

        If i had to go defense i would pick henry as the player i would HOPE to have improved his game or at least the player i would hope to benefit the most from wades scheme because im not sold on him. We all know i was looking for his replacement in the first round this year...like i said earlier, he will have a chance to play more physical this year and wont have to rely on his speed, or lack there of, to chase guys up and down the field.
        Last edited by Burns336; 05-17-2007, 03:27 AM.

        Comment


        • Talking about coaches' approach, what type of coach do you think its Bellichick? You don't see him yelling at his players, but you don't compare him to Tony Dungy too...
          I sure hope Wade's philosophy will work well, the thing I like of that is its "family approach". I think the thing we should appreciate in him is that is trying to create a peaceful group. If he can do that and still be an effective coach, allowing his players to be more relaxed on practice but still aggressive and concentrated on the field we should have a good season.


          In Bob We Trust

          John Madden's wedding video business

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

          Comment


          • Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
            Wow, thanks Thule and Modano for that. I really enjoyed reading that. And I agree wholeheartedly with what was said. Great write ups.

            Robert I agree. Landry and Ryan have introduced aspects to defense that forever changed the game. Theyre not the only ones though. Chuck Fairbanks, Parcells, LeBeau, Knoll...they also forever changed the scope of defense.

            What I loved about those writeups was how accurate they were in assessing both defenses. I couldnt agree more. I won't go into detail because Im sure we've beaten it to death, but its nice to read others points of view on both defenses coincide with what Ive been saying. Im looking forward to seeing Phillip's scheme in more detail now that he's coaching a division rival.
            Le Beau is a bit a hybrid guy in the sense he runs a read react but the react part allows for players (mainly LBs) to try and make plays behind the LOS (zone blitzing for example) if they notice their assignment is not integral to defending the play.

            What would be also an interesting discussion is how do Coverage schemes blend with each style.

            For example I think the Read/React approach lends itself nicely to zone based schemes. Schemes where guys have real estate they need to defend but can freelance (ala LeBeau) if they think it appropriate. For example corner blitz off a Cover-4 if the WR goes into motion to overload the oppositte side of the field.

            The Buddy pressure scheme much more so Cover1/0 or Cover-2 Man. **Not sure how Cover-2 became a zone scheme when in reality is was a man scheme, Cover plus 2 back hence Cover 2.**

            So I think the interaction between using the front 7 to penetrate and create pressure with how you mix up coverage is very interesting to discuss.

            I am a big proponent of Cover 4 in the 3-4 allowing the LBs to make reads and blitz as needed as long as 2 of the 4 LB pick up the TE and the RB out of the back field.

            The strong side backers make their call on the line prior to the snap in terms of who covers the TE. The weak side in terms of who covers the RB. If they overload one side with a TE and RB then overload the blitz with the Backers on the other side.

            Anyway..... been so long doing the math that I forget the actual on field stuff.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
              If i could pick one guy that i would hope to have improve the most, i think i may go with julius jones. im not sure but i might take the julius jones who played in those 8 games his rookie season over an improved defensive player.

              If i had to go defense i would pick henry as the player i would HOPE to have improved his game or at least the player i would hope to benefit the most from wades scheme because im not sold on him. We all know i was looking for his replacement in the first round this year...like i said earlier, he will have a chance to play more physical this year and wont have to rely on his speed, or lack there of, to chase guys up and down the field.

              Romo on Offense
              Bradie James on Defense

              JMHO.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
                ...... However without an Edwards or a Williams (NT) on our team I'm not sure if he scheme will translate as well as we all hope it will.

                And this is exactly why he can't run the SD system here IMHO.

                I think our expectations are flat out wrong on this. I assume Wade can see it already so he will need to make some adjustments.

                Starting with the NT (the most important position in a 3-4 IMHO) we are no where near as good as Williams. Which is more a stopping the run issue. I think Fergie/Ratliff are as good as Williams in getting to the QB.

                On the ILB, we just don't have a Donnie Edwards but we all have proposed Burnett for the role. My big thing their is WTF are we then doing with James and Ayodele and Carpenter but anyway............

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Modano View Post
                  Talking about coaches' approach, what type of coach do you think its Bellichick? You don't see him yelling at his players, but you don't compare him to Tony Dungy too...
                  I sure hope Wade's philosophy will work well, the thing I like of that is its "family approach". I think the thing we should appreciate in him is that is trying to create a peaceful group. If he can do that and still be an effective coach, allowing his players to be more relaxed on practice but still aggressive and concentrated on the field we should have a good season.
                  Family approach only works if a tight group of Vets make it work. Not sure we have that. Maybe the Ware's, Witten's and Newman's can do this. They produce, aren't flawed football players and are sufficiently experienced. Maybe a Romo if he can be consistent this year.

                  The TO's, Roy Williams and Bradie James guys just have too much baggae or too flawed on the field IMHO.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by robert_in_bigd View Post
                    Le Beau is a bit a hybrid guy in the sense he runs a read react but the react part allows for players (mainly LBs) to try and make plays behind the LOS (zone blitzing for example) if they notice their assignment is not integral to defending the play.

                    What would be also an interesting discussion is how do Coverage schemes blend with each style.

                    For example I think the Read/React approach lends itself nicely to zone based schemes. Schemes where guys have real estate they need to defend but can freelance (ala LeBeau) if they think it appropriate. For example corner blitz off a Cover-4 if the WR goes into motion to overload the oppositte side of the field.

                    The Buddy pressure scheme much more so Cover1/0 or Cover-2 Man. **Not sure how Cover-2 became a zone scheme when in reality is was a man scheme, Cover plus 2 back hence Cover 2.**

                    So I think the interaction between using the front 7 to penetrate and create pressure with how you mix up coverage is very interesting to discuss.

                    I am a big proponent of Cover 4 in the 3-4 allowing the LBs to make reads and blitz as needed as long as 2 of the 4 LB pick up the TE and the RB out of the back field.

                    The strong side backers make their call on the line prior to the snap in terms of who covers the TE. The weak side in terms of who covers the RB. If they overload one side with a TE and RB then overload the blitz with the Backers on the other side.

                    Anyway..... been so long doing the math that I forget the actual on field stuff.

                    Very nice Robert. Someone's been doing their hw.

                    To me, what makes a great defense is adjustibility. A defense that can be effective against anything thrown at it. Thats why I love the BP 3-4 so much. Its passive in nature, but it can get aggressive if need be. People forget, that just bc it was not as effective in Dallas doesn't mean that it was a passive scheme.

                    Fun fact of the day. The 1985 Bears are historically known as being one of the best if not the best pass rushing defense in NFL history. Everytime you hear people talk about them, they mention how they "killed" the quarterback. Well guess what? The Bears didnt lead the NFL in sacks in 1985. That stat belonged to the New York Giants.

                    My personal favorite schemes currently being run in the NFL are the BP 3-4 and John Fox's 4-3. Fox's 4-3 is almost like a BP 3-4 in a 4-3 shell, thats why I like it so much. Adjustability is the name of the game. Being able to do everything and not live and die on one principle. I like Rob Ryan's scheme for this reason as well.

                    I like Wade's scheme alot too. Saban's scheme is very similar to BPs. Dom Capers is another brilliant mind. I like Caper's and Saban's flex scheme alot.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                      Very nice Robert. Someone's been doing their hw.

                      To me, what makes a great defense is adjustibility. A defense that can be effective against anything thrown at it. Thats why I love the BP 3-4 so much. Its passive in nature, but it can get aggressive if need be. People forget, that just bc it was not as effective in Dallas doesn't mean that it was a passive scheme.

                      Fun fact of the day. The 1985 Bears are historically known as being one of the best if not the best pass rushing defense in NFL history. Everytime you hear people talk about them, they mention how they "killed" the quarterback. Well guess what? The Bears didnt lead the NFL in sacks in 1985. That stat belonged to the New York Giants.

                      My personal favorite schemes currently being run in the NFL are the BP 3-4 and John Fox's 4-3. Fox's 4-3 is almost like a BP 3-4 in a 4-3 shell, thats why I like it so much. Adjustability is the name of the game. Being able to do everything and not live and die on one principle. I like Rob Ryan's scheme for this reason as well.

                      I like Wade's scheme alot too. Saban's scheme is very similar to BPs. Dom Capers is another brilliant mind. I like Caper's and Saban's flex scheme alot.
                      This is why people who say Ware should rush everydown have no clue what they are talking about. It renders the very strength of a 3-4 useless.

                      How your Linebackers read the play and adjust their assignments at the LOS is fundamental to playing great 3-4.

                      If every play Ware must rush then he is just another DE in a 4-3. An ineffective one at that too.

                      For example, if a TE is lined up weak side with a FB on the strong side what the hell is wrong with Ware taking the TE and shotting the WILB (James) into the G/T gap, giving Hatcher or Canty the outside rush. Let Ayodele and Carpenter on the strong side cover the underneath with a 4 man rush.

                      If you want to blitz shoot Roy Williams into 3/5 gap and shoot Carpenter into the 9/7 with Sears occupying the 5/7. Let the remaining LB (Ayodele) play short zone to pick up the FB/RB if he goes on a pattern or the QB scrambles ... if your CB and FS can cover three WR you will get a sack or generate pressure. Big IF though

                      So many things you can do out of 3-4 with the right backers playing smart. Hell Jimmy Johnson Mr 4-3 used his DEs much like 3-4 OLB so ......... this is nothing new to folks except those who don't know the game.

                      Some folks here in D just constantly complian about going 3-4 because they hate Parcells and are more interested in DeMarcus getting sacks than playing good D. Never knowing BP 3-4 and Flex Landry are similar and that Jimmy Johnson employed Dick LeBeau 3-4 concepts into those 90s Ds.

                      So frustrating to hear the folks down here. Just plain dumb.
                      Last edited by robert_in_bigd; 05-17-2007, 01:30 PM.

                      Comment


                      • I'm the only one who thinks Ellis is becoming a joke? He recently said

                        "A contract extension says you are our guy and we want you here," Ellis said. "It sets it straight with that guy. It sets it straight with the media. It sets it straight with everybody. I haven't talked to Jerry about it, and I am not going to. But it's understood, and Jerry knows it. I think Jerry should do something."
                        Are you kidding me Greg? You're 32, signed through 2009 ad you want a contract extension? I think that at 35 years you won't be a great player anymore, you can't ask an extension and you cant' complain about your team drafting your future replacement, considering that you're coming off a major injury.
                        I like Ellis, I like what he did for us in many years, he was a good player and a mentor. But I'm actually thinking that he's starting to annoy the organization too much. If he continues with this complainment I should trade him, there's no way he should receive a contract extension or more money. He's getting old, he's starting the downside of his career, he should realize that he's playing his last years in the NFL. The time to make big money passed a few years and a major injury ago.

                        Here some details:

                        http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/story.../16/104452/672


                        In Bob We Trust

                        John Madden's wedding video business

                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

                        Comment


                        • No way this team goes 6-10. At worst 10-6 IMO. I know I sound like a homer, but I really don't think I am being one. This team is stacked. We should be the #1 seed in the NFC pretty easily. Our defense is going to be much better with the dominant pass rush. Our offense is going to go deep more as well. I can't wait for September!!!
                          Last edited by Achilles33; 05-17-2007, 02:59 PM.

                          Comment


                          • Leonard Davis saves a horse's life:

                            Bigg comes through



                            They call Leonard Davis "Bigg," I guess because he is big.

                            Well, after talking to him last night from his home in Chandler, Ariz., I can see why. Davis pulled a horse out of a sinkhole yesterday. Probably saved his life.

                            When Davis stands next to the horse, he's almost as big. Davis is about 350 pounds and the horse is about 2,000 pounds. So go figure.

                            Bigg will return to Dallas on Friday and get ready for some more workouts with the Cowboys. After hearing and seeing pictures of him pulling out "Ranger" the horse, he needs a day off.

                            From http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/
                            More on this story: http://www.cowboysplus.com/topstory/...t.34c4f7b.html

                            Previously noted, Davis is now 350, losing 15 pounds so far this offeason.
                            Last edited by Achilles33; 05-17-2007, 02:57 PM.

                            Comment


                            • 350? lose more fatty :)

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Achilles33 View Post
                                No way this team goes 6-10. At worst 10-6 IMO. I know I sound like a homer, but I really don't think I am being one. This team is stacked. We should be the #1 seed in the NFC pretty easily. Our defense is going to be much better with the dominant pass rush. Our offense is going to go deep more as well. I can't wait for September!!!
                                since no one had posed a question that required a response like this, im going to assume you have turrets.

                                and btw, no one could care less about any of your predictions.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information