Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does anyone know how much Roy Williams weights?

Comment

• Originally posted by robert_in_bigd View Post
      This is why people who say Ware should rush everydown have no clue what they are talking about. It renders the very strength of a 3-4 useless.

How your Linebackers read the play and adjust their assignments at the LOS is fundamental to playing great 3-4.

If every play Ware must rush then he is just another DE in a 4-3. An ineffective one at that too.

For example, if a TE is lined up weak side with a FB on the strong side what the hell is wrong with Ware taking the TE and shotting the WILB (James) into the G/T gap, giving Hatcher or Canty the outside rush. Let Ayodele and Carpenter on the strong side cover the underneath with a 4 man rush.

If you want to blitz shoot Roy Williams into 3/5 gap and shoot Carpenter into the 9/7 with Sears occupying the 5/7. Let the remaining LB (Ayodele) play short zone to pick up the FB/RB if he goes on a pattern or the QB scrambles ... if your CB and FS can cover three WR you will get a sack or generate pressure. Big IF though

So many things you can do out of 3-4 with the right backers playing smart. Hell Jimmy Johnson Mr 4-3 used his DEs much like 3-4 OLB so ......... this is nothing new to folks except those who don't know the game.

Some folks here in D just constantly complian about going 3-4 because they hate Parcells and are more interested in DeMarcus getting sacks than playing good D. Never knowing BP 3-4 and Flex Landry are similar and that Jimmy Johnson employed Dick LeBeau 3-4 concepts into those 90s Ds.

So frustrating to hear the folks down here. Just plain dumb.

Yup. This game hasn't changed much schematically. People think it has, but it really hasn't. At the end of the day, its just a formation. You brought up great points about the BP 3-4. Heres the thing with his scheme: You need smart players to run it.

Thats why you see NE purposefully go out and get smart guys over fast guys in the draft. You need a nogen to make this defense click. Bruschi, Vrabel, Seymour, Warren, Harrison etc...these are smart guys. Thats why the read and react approach didn't work too well in Dallas. Spears and Canty were continuously screwing up their assignment.

One thing that youre overlooking with LeBeau though, is his innovation of the zone blitz technique. That was a HUGE addition to modern day defenses. That to me was his biggest addition to the evolution of defense.

If I remember correctly, didn't Jimmy Johnson run a man Cover 2 scheme? I remember it being built similarly to a Cover 2 front, but not as small, and running more man coverage compared to a Cover 2. I don't remember the DEs dropping in coverage to be honest. Although its entirely plausible because I remember San Fransisco doing that with Haley in his 49er years.

The 84 49ers had a great and underappreciated defense. I know that was random, but eh.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
        Yup. This game hasn't changed much schematically. People think it has, but it really hasn't. At the end of the day, its just a formation. You brought up great points about the BP 3-4. Heres the thing with his scheme: You need smart players to run it.

Thats why you see NE purposefully go out and get smart guys over fast guys in the draft. You need a nogen to make this defense click. Bruschi, Vrabel, Seymour, Warren, Harrison etc...these are smart guys. Thats why the read and react approach didn't work too well in Dallas. Spears and Canty were continuously screwing up their assignment.

One thing that youre overlooking with LeBeau though, is his innovation of the zone blitz technique. That was a HUGE addition to modern day defenses. That to me was his biggest addition to the evolution of defense.

If I remember correctly, didn't Jimmy Johnson run a man Cover 2 scheme? I remember it being built similarly to a Cover 2 front, but not as small, and running more man coverage compared to a Cover 2. I don't remember the DEs dropping in coverage to be honest. Although its entirely plausible because I remember San Fransisco doing that with Haley in his 49er years.

The 84 49ers had a great and underappreciated defense. I know that was random, but eh.

JJ and Wannstedt would frequently drop a DE or DT into a zone and leave a G/T combination sitting there looking for someone to block. Sometimes even overloading one of 9 Gaps with a LB or Safety blitz.

It was effective when used sparingly but when you caught them in it you would run a draw play right at the hole vacated by the DT. Guaranteed 5-10 yard run if you got the seal block on the between the 3 and 7/9 gap.

Cover 1 Man with Jimmy mostly. Sometimes 1 Deep Zone (Cover 1 Zone to the young-ins who use the taxonomy incorrectly). But overall Jimmy wanted a FS patroling deep with good man coverage on the corners
        Last edited by robert_in_bigd; 05-17-2007, 03:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DSlay4 View Post
          does anyone know how much Roy Williams weights?

too much ........

Comment

• Originally posted by robert_in_bigd View Post
            too much ........
            didnt he loose weight....thats what everyones been saying

Comment

• Originally posted by DSlay4 View Post
              didnt he loose weight....thats what everyones been saying
              Roy should play 210. I don't care for his making "Jacked Up" highlights. I want him to cover a F*ing TE and be able to play the FS role when neeed.

All this play near the LOS stuff is like putting a square peg in a round hole or the equivalent of saying Ware need to blitz every time.

Comment

• just thought i would put this up for anyone who wants to look at this year's D comapred to last years. Pretty good explination to go with it.

http://www.bnbathletics.com/cowboysv...v/compare.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
                  just thought i would put this up for anyone who wants to look at this year's D comapred to last years. Pretty good explination to go with it.

http://www.bnbathletics.com/cowboysv...v/compare.html
                  My only issue with information like this is that it takes 1 play and analyzes that as the 'way the defense is run'. It's not as if the Cowboys chose to never stunt or that the Chargers always stunted, etc. I'm not saying it isn't valid, it's just too little information to base entire theories on.

The best 'vote of confidence' that I've seen regarding Wade's defense is that prior to his arrival in San Diego in 2003 the Chargers were ranked 31st in total defense with 441 points allowed. In 2004, Wade's first year, they were ranked 11th in total defense (first in rush defense) with 313 points allowed. Also keep in mind that this is prior to the arrival of Merriman, Phillips and Louis Castillo. So it appears he did this with scheme more than superior talent.

Designs by Thule

Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
                  I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.

Comment

• Rob, Ware is going to blitz everytime this season.

Comment

• Good read on Phillips:

http://theboysblog.com/2007/05/18/ca...illips-effect/

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

• Originally posted by Achilles33 View Post
                        Rob, Ware is going to blitz everytime this season.
                        that is an Idiotic defensive plan. Mixing up who's gonna blitz is part of running the 3-4.

Comment

• Originally posted by Im_a_Romosexual View Post
                          that is an Idiotic defensive plan. Mixing up who's gonna blitz is part of running the 3-4.
                          To the stupid fan all Ware should do is blitz.

Fact he is the best SOLB in the game and he allows you to mask and disguise blitz packages due to his superior coverage skills.

These idiots are carpenters who only have a hammer in their tool box.

Comment

• Originally posted by LSUALUM99 View Post
                            My only issue with information like this is that it takes 1 play and analyzes that as the 'way the defense is run'. It's not as if the Cowboys chose to never stunt or that the Chargers always stunted, etc. I'm not saying it isn't valid, it's just too little information to base entire theories on.

The best 'vote of confidence' that I've seen regarding Wade's defense is that prior to his arrival in San Diego in 2003 the Chargers were ranked 31st in total defense with 441 points allowed. In 2004, Wade's first year, they were ranked 11th in total defense (first in rush defense) with 313 points allowed. Also keep in mind that this is prior to the arrival of Merriman, Phillips and Louis Castillo. So it appears he did this with scheme more than superior talent.
                            Good point, I wish they would of had at least 3 or 4 examples in each category, but in reality this is a pretty accurate portrayal of how last year was for both teams. Us giving unlimited time, and the Chargers collapsing the pocket in a matter of 3 seconds...

Comment

• Hey, it is not my plan, it is Wade's. Although I don't want him to stoop to Merriman's "just run at the QB'' level, I guess Wade does.

Comment

• Where does Wade say "Ware is going to only Blitz."?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information