Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I agree as well, Barber should see more carries, and i think our offense should benefit more from him seeing the ball early on in games, and even starting some games...i still just cannot erase some of the games JJ had, like the streak where he tore off a 180 game, then backdoored with a 150 or something, so he has plenty of potential, just think he's alot easier to replace...

and if we keep barber, i dont think mcfadden is necessary to trade up for, say someone like jamaal charles declares, he would fit perfect with barber and wont be a top 10 pick, fact being its alot easier to find a leon washington type back deep in the draft, then a back who does what barber does for us, which is everything really well...he has excellent vision, hard runner, great redzone back, blocks well, catches, he does it all, and i think jones would be better suited spelling him with speed when the defense is wore down...he would be able to find the seams and take it to the distance, but we'll see how it goes...

fact is i love our 2 back system, and wouldnt mind seeing both come back next year as long as barber sees an increased role

Originally posted by Scott Wright
    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• I also think JJ is replaceable. I like Barber more, and after watching your vid, I forgot why JJ is starting!

JJ is good in my opinion, but I would agree with everyone else that his caliber of running back is not as hard to find as many other positions.

I know I am jumping the gun bigtime, but all signs to me say JJ stays this year, and we have RunDMC next year. JJ is probably gone after this year.
      I published my first book. Available in ebook or paperback! Check it out!!!

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540

Comment

• Love the video, but it didn't really show the part of MB3's game that really makes him stand out.... Blocking. He's a beast in blocking.

I don't think it's fair to be knocking on Julius. Part of the reason why Marion can go so hard is because he comes in with fresh legs. I'd be cautious of overusing him. His role is perfect.

I have a hunch that as soon as Julius shows some exciting flash next year, some of you will be saying how great he is... how you thought he was great all along... Hope you guys knocking him now stick to your opinions.

Comment

• OK, that sounds fair...

My opinion at this time (I will go on record) is JJ is good. There is no reason he cant play for a long time.

But he is replaceable. IMO, running backs are easier to find than lots of other positions. He will not be worth what he asks for, money wise, next year.

And RunDMC would be an upgrade. McFadden sure seems like a great fit to me.
          I published my first book. Available in ebook or paperback! Check it out!!!

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
            and if we keep barber, i dont think mcfadden is necessary to trade up for, say someone like jamaal charles declares, he would fit perfect with barber and wont be a top 10 pick, fact being its alot easier to find a leon washington type back deep in the draft, then a back who does what barber does for us, which is everything really well...he has excellent vision, hard runner, great redzone back, blocks well, catches, he does it all, and i think jones would be better suited spelling him with speed when the defense is wore down...he would be able to find the seams and take it to the distance, but we'll see how it goes...
            I agree on Charles. Imo he will have a big season next year and he will be at least a second round pick. If some of the Juniors declare next year, it will be a sick class of RB and we can find a very good one in the first day.

D-Unit, I agree that Marion on himself can't be the anwer, but I'm almost sold on Julius. I fell in love with him his rookie season, and I even buyed his action figure! But seeing him running the last two seasons was frustrating. He made some big plays, but he always went down too easy on first contact.
            I hope he will prove me wrong, but right now I think we can find very easily another back like him.

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

• Originally posted by Modano View Post
              I agree on Charles. Imo he will have a big season next year and he will be at least a second round pick. If some of the Juniors declare next year, it will be a sick class of RB and we can find a very good one in the first day.

D-Unit, I agree that Marion on himself can't be the anwer, but I'm almost sold on Julius. I fell in love with him his rookie season, and I even buyed his action figure! But seeing him running the last two seasons was frustrating. He made some big plays, but he always went down too easy on first contact.
              I hope he will prove me wrong, but right now I think we can find very easily another back like him.
              My whole thing is that I dont know which running back im getting? An average at best, down after first contact runner? Or the guy who slices through holes on his way to 150 yards and 3 TD's? Until he can show that he can be consistant, I am forced to label him as a flash in a pan or someone who never lived up to their potential. I sure do hope he gets back to where he was though, those were some of the funnest games to watch and it brought hope to the organization that we may have found our next great back. That said, he needs to go huge this year.

Comment

• Personally I think that JJ is underrated and MBIII is a bit overrated. By that I mean that MBIII is very good but I think too many people think he's ready for 20-25 carries a game but fail to recognize that he's never done that at the collegiate or pro level.

JJ creates problems for defenses because of his speed and quickness. He has the ability to break off big runs that makes defenses alter their schemes compared to MBIII.

I do think that MBIII is a very good RB, but I think alot of the criticism of JJ is exaggerated while MBIII's results have been exaggerated also.

Designs by Thule

Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
                I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.

Comment

• ill be the first to admit, i know what JJ is capable of...so D-unit i wont go as far as to say he's trash, or a nobody...because i remember those huge games he had, and thats when he was getting majority of the carries...

yet i still would have to see it happen a little more often to annoint him anything...he's good for a few 100 yd games in a year, but he's still not a great redzone runner/finisher....where as the great backs wear down the D all the way down, then finish it off in the redzone, but thats not needed since we have a back for that...

but i need to see more explosive games from JJ on a consistent basis for me to want to keep him around...not having to get the tough red zone carries, and splitting carries with MBIII should enable him to be just as fresh, and hit the 100 mark plateu alot more...so his legs should be just as fresh as barbers, JJ has carried the ball 25 plus times before and done well, so with 17 or so i dont see any reason he shouldnt be alot more fresh and faster thru the holes...but ill still stick 2 my point, i think he's easier to replace then barber as far as what they both do for us

Comment

• Originally posted by LSUALUM99 View Post
                    Personally I think that JJ is underrated and MBIII is a bit overrated. By that I mean that MBIII is very good but I think too many people think he's ready for 20-25 carries a game but fail to recognize that he's never done that at the collegiate or pro level.

JJ creates problems for defenses because of his speed and quickness. He has the ability to break off big runs that makes defenses alter their schemes compared to MBIII.

I do think that MBIII is a very good RB, but I think alot of the criticism of JJ is exaggerated while MBIII's results have been exaggerated also.
                    I agree completely, as I have mentioned before.

Comment

• So Modano... are your videos screen captures from your television? If so, is it a widescreen/high def tv?

Comment

• Here's what I think of our RB situation. It is good, but not great. Does it have to be great? Do we have to have a household name RB with his name in flashy lights in order to be a championship team? No, I don't think so. ...and really, I don't want so.

The way our team is built, we cannot afford it. We have a TON of young guys who we will want to keep in the future. Having a RB that will command top dollar is something we cannot afford. Otherwise, we will lose someone or someones that we don't want to. The duo of JJ and MB3 works well. The hard part is... JJ needs his carries in order to be that back that we all came to love in the beginning. He won't get it so long as MB3 is around. MB3 doesn't need the carries to be efficient. He's been sharing carries for a long time leading back to college. He knows how to prep for it, be ready for it, and how to make an impact when he gets in. That's why we see that guy shooting out of a cannon ball every time he touches the ball. He's tailor made to be in a RB by committee.

What I think our RB situation needs is one more solid back to emerge. If either JJ or MB3 goes down with injury, all of sudden our RB situation becomes an emergency. If JJ goes down, MB3 will not have the same effect that he has now. If MB3 goes down, we lack that guy we can count on for power running and are left with a lot of question marks in JJ.

So yeah, I think we're one RB away from having a "great" RB attack. The RB by Committee approach is smart because it gives us depth and keeps RB salaries relatively low.

Comment

• thats a great point, going out and grabbing a big name, via draft or free agency at RB will be tough to keep, when you think about all the young defensive stars we would like to keep for a long time...Ii for one would like newman, ware, and roy to retire as cowboys but who knows how that works out...

although i pose the question, just because a RB has shared the ball thus far into his career, does that necessarily mean he cannot carry a load by himself?

Comment

• it doesn't mean he can't, it just means he's unproven.

I personally think that getting a RB in round 1-3 next year is a good idea, IF we can also address CB and WR at the same time.

Getting McFadden may sound great but I've argued against it due to the 'opportunity cost' of drafting a RB with Cleveland's pick.

Designs by Thule

I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                              Here's what I think of our RB situation. It is good, but not great. Does it have to be great? Do we have to have a household name RB with his name in flashy lights in order to be a championship team? No, I don't think so. ...and really, I don't want so.

The way our team is built, we cannot afford it. We have a TON of young guys who we will want to keep in the future. Having a RB that will command top dollar is something we cannot afford. Otherwise, we will lose someone or someones that we don't want to. The duo of JJ and MB3 works well. The hard part is... JJ needs his carries in order to be that back that we all came to love in the beginning. He won't get it so long as MB3 is around. MB3 doesn't need the carries to be efficient. He's been sharing carries for a long time leading back to college. He knows how to prep for it, be ready for it, and how to make an impact when he gets in. That's why we see that guy shooting out of a cannon ball every time he touches the ball. He's tailor made to be in a RB by committee.

What I think our RB situation needs is one more solid back to emerge. If either JJ or MB3 goes down with injury, all of sudden our RB situation becomes an emergency. If JJ goes down, MB3 will not have the same effect that he has now. If MB3 goes down, we lack that guy we can count on for power running and are left with a lot of question marks in JJ.

So yeah, I think we're one RB away from having a "great" RB attack. The RB by Committee approach is smart because it gives us depth and keeps RB salaries relatively low.
                              That can be said with all of the other positions on our team. Having depth and another guy who can pick up the slack with little dropoff in overall production is always great at any position. But as far as our RB situation, we have some intriguing candidates for the 3rd RB spot. I'm not as high on Tyson Thompson as other are, and yes I'm going to use the one-dimensional argument on this one. Blazing speed obviously, but hasn't shown enough when it comes to overall RB ability. A guy I really like is Battle, big guy, great speed, I just hope we'll get a chance to see him in the pre-season. Deon Anderson as well.

Comment

• I think that Tyson Thompson is very expendable with Miles Austin returning kicks for us. I'd rather see a more multi-dimensional player like Battle instead of Thompson.

Designs by Thule

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information