Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glenn has a $2MM contract for the year of which I think $500K has been paid.

So Jerrah saved 1.5MM,,,,,,, a hell of alot more than Reeves or Jones

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
      Appreciate the research, but I don't know where those numbers are from.

Reeves is listed at 5'11, 192
      http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/player...e?statsId=6982

Jones is listed at 5'10, 192
      http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/player...e?statsId=6964

That's at least an inch and 10 pounds more than Glen, which is significant. I'm sure age and susceptibility to injury also factored in as well, which supports part of your point.

What I'm saying is not a theory though. It's a fact on the prototype of a CB in a Phillips 3-4 D. Look at the corners he drafted in San Diego... Drayton Florence, Quentin Jammer, Antonio Cromartie... all big physical corners.

So back to what you said... cutting Glen a bad idea based of him being similar in size to Reeves and Jones... the basis of your judgement is incorrect (the size difference is significant), so I would re-evaluate your opinion.
      Point is they are bigger but not big enough per se.

So, we can move on.

Comment

Appreciate the research, but I don't know where those numbers are from.

Reeves is listed at 5'11, 192
        http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/player...e?statsId=6982

Jones is listed at 5'10, 192
        http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/player...e?statsId=6964

That's at least an inch and 10 pounds more than Glen, which is significant. I'm sure age and susceptibility to injury also factored in as well, which supports part of your point.

What I'm saying is not a theory though. It's a fact on the prototype of a CB in a Phillips 3-4 D. Look at the corners he drafted in San Diego... Drayton Florence, Quentin Jammer, Antonio Cromartie... all big physical corners.

So back to what you said... cutting Glen a bad idea based of him being similar in size to Reeves and Jones... the basis of your judgement is incorrect (the size difference is significant), so I would re-evaluate your opinion.
        I actually got my sources from NFL.com. The numbers do seem a bit off. Florence, Jammer and Cromartie are certainty bigger than Reeves and Jones still. I guess you can say Reeves and Jones are more physical than Glenn, but to me, these guys are just bodies to stick in. I still can't say that Reeves and Jones are physical CBs cause of their limited playing time. I hardly see them jam their WRs and I usually see them making tackles for plays they gave up (can be a bad and good thing) when they are in.

Comment

• Originally posted by robert_in_bigd View Post
          Glenn has a $2MM contract for the year of which I think $500K has been paid.

So Jerrah saved 1.5MM,,,,,,, a hell of alot more than Reeves or Jones
          I can see that also being a factor in his release. I wouldn't call it a main factor though. Jerry's never been a penny pincher.

Comment

• Originally posted by dc4life View Post
            I actually got my sources from NFL.com. The numbers do seem a bit off. Florence, Jammer and Cromartie are certainty bigger than Reeves and Jones still. I guess you can say Reeves and Jones are more physical than Glenn, but to me, these guys are just bodies to stick in. I still can't say that Reeves and Jones are physical CBs cause of their limited playing time. I hardly see them jam their WRs and I usually see them making tackles for plays they gave up (can be a bad and good thing) when they are in.
            I don't know if anyone outside of those watching daily practices can actually say what Reeves and Jones are all about. Another factor in them sticking with the team is that it's high tide that we see what we actually have. It seems those 2 have stuck around long enough without consistently producing in game time situations. The fact that they've been able to stick must mean that they've shown glimpses in practice.

Yeah, they aren't as big as the San Diego CBs, but Wade has to work with what he's got. Sorta like Bill working with Dat and Coakley early on.

Comment

• Actually some of the scribes that played part in giving us our TC reports think Reeves outplayed Glenn. Dave Halprin from btb and Tim Mac from dmn blog to state some names.

Like I said. Jones was the only one with experience in the middle. He played tons of special teams and that is why he is still on the team.

Comment

• There is so much that goes into a cornerback. Just cause someone is small doesnt mean they can't handle themselves.

I was sorry to lose Glenn, and I think it was a mistake. However, I cant say how much of a mistake. Average cornerbacks can look good with a good pass rush.

I am much more concerned with the defensive line play. Until we stop the run and get a pass rush, isnt most of the cornerback talk somewhat of a moot point...
                I published my first book. Available in ebook or paperback! Check it out!!!

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540

Comment

• Originally posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
                  There is so much that goes into a cornerback. Just cause someone is small doesnt mean they can't handle themselves.

I was sorry to lose Glenn, and I think it was a mistake. However, I cant say how much of a mistake. Average cornerbacks can look good with a good pass rush.

I am much more concerned with the defensive line play. Until we stop the run and get a pass rush, isnt most of the cornerback talk somewhat of a moot point...
                  Nobody is saying Glen can't handle himself. I'm sure he'll do very well in JAX. He just wasn't an ideal fit for WP's schemes and when you compound that with additional factors such as pay, age and injury concern, then it makes sense in letting him go. At least we'll see what Reeves and Jones has to offer. If either of them turn out, that could potentially eliminate CB from being a high offseason need.

Comment

• I can buy that.

For the record, I hated to see glenn go...
                    I published my first book. Available in ebook or paperback! Check it out!!!

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540

Comment

• Alan Ball is on the PS for those who were wondering

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dw...
                      Glenn's release angers Cowboys' Williams
                      09:11 PM CDT on Monday, September 3, 2007

By CALVIN WATKINS / The Dallas Morning News
                      cwatkins@dallasnews.com
                      (...)
                      Cowboys sign new coach: With quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson suspended for the first five games of the season for violating the NFL's policy on performance-enhancing substances, the team hired Harold Richardson on an interim basis.

Richardson will work with the offensive coaches in the press box during games.

"He's not a quarterback coach, but he will help," coach Wade Phillips said. "He's an extra set of eyes in the press box"

Richardson, an SMU grad, worked with Phillips' father, Bum, in New Orleans. Wade Phillips and Richardson have worked together in New Orleans, Denver, Atlanta and at Oklahoma State

Richardson has also coached at Colorado State, North Texas, TCU and SMU.

Briefly: LB Greg Ellis (heel), LB Kevin Burnett (ankle), DE Marcus Smith (knee) and Newman missed practice. ... CB Alan Ball, who was cut Sunday, is back with the team as a practice squad player. The Cowboys now have eight players on the practice squad. ... S Ken Hamlin (26), S Courtney Brown (27), OT James Marten (78), WR Mike Jefferson (85), TE Rodney Hannah (44) and Ball (20) have new jersey numbers.

Comment

• Not to be a downer but you all better hope Eli Manning and Jason Campbell don't finally figure it out this year

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperKevin View Post
                          Not to be a downer but you all better hope Eli Manning and Jason Campbell don't finally figure it out this year
                          Or else what? The Redskins and Giants will be tough to beat? News flash all divisional games are hard to win. No matter who is figuring it out.

Comment

• Originally posted by thule View Post
                            Or else what? The Redskins and Giants will be tough to beat? News flash all divisional games are hard to win. No matter who is figuring it out.
                            Just saying that they could even tougher if the Giants and Redskins get their pasing offenses to click given your weakness in the secondary

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperKevin View Post
                              Just saying that they could even tougher if the Giants and Redskins get their pasing offenses to click given your weakness in the secondary
                              I have a feeling about what the secondary can and can't do, but I would like to hear what you would have to say as a non-Cowboys perspective. Can you elaborate on the weaknesses you see?

Comment

I have a feeling about what the secondary can and can't do, but I would like to hear what you would have to say as a non-Cowboys perspective. Can you elaborate on the weaknesses you see?
                                I see lack of man coverage skill by your safties, in fact both your safeties, in my opinion, prefer to go for the big hit and will give up a lot of big plays. You also have very little depth at CB behind Terrence newman unless someone unexpected steps up.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information