This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Modano View Post
    Is that ironic? Because I don't know how good this school could be or even what you americans intend for "polytechnic"...

What is "ironic" are the volume of opinions on non-American has about America's team... now that is ironic.

Cal Poly is excellent btw and the US has the best engineering schools in the world -- only IIT System in India can even come close.

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboysforever View Post
      What is "ironic" are the volume of opinions on non-American has about America's team... now that is ironic.

Cal Poly is excellent btw and the US has the best engineering schools in the world -- only IIT System in India can even come close.
      What are you getting at? That people outside of the US shouldn't be allowed to root for the Cowboys, solely because they have the nickname "America's Team?" Geesh, I really didn't think nicknames were that big a deal. And it seems that what our "non-American" friend was implying was that polytechnic has a different connotation where he is from than it does here in the US. There's no need to be so aggressive about it.

Comment

• I think we're being way to quick to declare what type of player Brown is. It's too early to say.

BoneKrusher

Comment

• So what's up with Alan Ball? Did he follow EJ Whitney quietly out the door?

Comment

• It was Whitley. And I guess so...

BoneKrusher

Comment

• I never thought much of Ball, way to skinny and wasn't really impressed by anything he did in the preseason.

Comment

• Ball is on the practice squad.

Comment

• Originally posted by JJJ888 View Post
                  What are you getting at? That people outside of the US shouldn't be allowed to root for the Cowboys, solely because they have the nickname "America's Team?" Geesh, I really didn't think nicknames were that big a deal. And it seems that what our "non-American" friend was implying was that polytechnic has a different connotation where he is from than it does here in the US. There's no need to be so aggressive about it.
                  Thank you... And there aren't universities called "polytechnics" here...

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

• from what Ive seen from Brown, he surely hasnt swayed me from wanting Mike Jenkins in the first rd

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Um, first I am not the one always repeating "I am not an American." Kind of like the guy who walks around saying "I am not gaayuh**." You ask yourself what is that all about in context to the conversation at hand.

Brown has a great degree from a great school. The comments posted call this into question. Again, for a proud "non-American" what is that all about?? What exactly are you trying to say? Beats me but what I can say is .....

I think it is IRONIC that a non-American would be chatting the most American Game (Football) with respect to the America's Team in combination with commenting on an "American School."

It is most certainly ironic if you ask me.

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                        from what Ive seen from Brown, he surely hasnt swayed me from wanting Mike Jenkins in the first rd
                        I agree. In today's NFL too much DB depth happens to be an oxy moron.

Comment

Um, first I am not the one always repeating "I am not an American." Kind of like the guy who walks around saying "I am not gaayuh**." You ask yourself what is that all about in context to the conversation at hand.

Brown has a great degree from a great school. The comments posted call this into question. Again, for a proud "non-American" what is that all about?? What exactly are you trying to say? Beats me but what I can say is .....

I think it is IRONIC that a non-American would be chatting the most American Game (Football) with respect to the America's Team in combination with commenting on an "American School."

Are you kidding? Modano was simply stating that he didn't understand the American use of the word polytechnic as it applies to universities. He says that he's not an American not because he's trying to hide the truth (as your simile implies) but because he's stating a fact that would help us understand his point of view.

He calls Brown's degree into question because in Europe there are no "polytechnic" universities. Therefore, he believes that a "polytechnic" degree is something that is not as highly valued as a "regular" university degree. Furthermore, since he is not from America, he does not know our university system as well as we do, and therefore does not know that a degree from Cal-Poly is a prestigeous degree.

And since when do "non-Americans" not have a right to discuss "America's game?" America's game is simply a nickname, as is America's team. In case you didn't notice, however, there is an "American Football" league in Europe, and very recently, the NFL actually played its first regular season game in London. The league has also played games in Mexico, and there is even talk about having teams in Canada. Our "non-American" friend has just as much right to talk about "American Football" as you do. In fact, he even has the right to discuss American colleges, or, as the case may be, ask questions about them.

Comment

Are you kidding? Modano was simply stating that he didn't understand the American use of the word polytechnic as it applies to universities. He says that he's not an American not because he's trying to hide the truth (as your simile implies) but because he's stating a fact that would help us understand his point of view.

He calls Brown's degree into question because in Europe there are no "polytechnic" universities. Therefore, he believes that a "polytechnic" degree is something that is not as highly valued as a "regular" university degree. Furthermore, since he is not from America, he does not know our university system as well as we do, and therefore does not know that a degree from Cal-Poly is a prestigeous degree.

And since when do "non-Americans" not have a right to discuss "America's game?" America's game is simply a nickname, as is America's team. In case you didn't notice, however, there is an "American Football" league in Europe, and very recently, the NFL actually played its first regular season game in London. The league has also played games in Mexico, and there is even talk about having teams in Canada. Our "non-American" friend has just as much right to talk about "American Football" as you do. In fact, he even has the right to discuss American colleges, or, as the case may be, ask questions about them.

Well said! Positive rep.

Comment

+ Rep Trips. Geez... some guys just don't get it, do they...

Comment

Robert, really, are you kidding me? I'm not a proud "non american", and I told you that I wasn't american only when you said me "happy thanksgiving"...
                                Maybe I'm a proud italian (I don't want to get into this), but for sure I'm not one of the many un-american europeans. Actually I'm the opposite.
                                I was just asking if you were ironic because I didn't know what type of school could "Cal Poly" be. And I asked because you tend to be ironic on your posts...
                                And actually not only I love the USA and I've studied a lot of american history and literature, but -if everything goes right- I'm going to finish my studies in an american school. And I've talked about this thing with many guys on this forum...

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information