This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by cowboysforever
    He is very very likely the smartest player on the team. Engineering from California Polytechnic.... uh, yeah.

Originally posted by Modano View Post
    Because I don't know how good this school could be or even what you americans intend for "polytechnic"...
    Really? Not sure how good .... a simple Google search for the non-American in me ......

http://www.calpolynews.calpoly.edu/n..._rankings.html

This year, Cal Poly’s College of Engineering was named the No. 1 public engineering program in the nation in the magazine's Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs - for schools whose highest degree is a bachelor's or master's.

A number of College of Engineering programs also ranked high in the Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs in their individual specialty categories. Cal Poly's computer, electrical, industrial/manufacturing and mechanical engineering programs were each ranked as the top program at a public university in their respective specialty categories. Other engineering programs that ranked well are civil and aerospace at No. 2.

And with respect to Polytechnic in names of schools it is common world round so to claim ignorance and thinkit believable is a bit much .....

Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
    Universidad Politécnica de San Luis Potosi
    Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
    Universidad Politécnica de Valencia
    Università politecnica delle Marche

......... I could go on an on. Plenty of Polytechnical Universities in the World in every country with a University System.

Again, it is very IRONIC that a non-American would have so many opinions about something so American and then make dubious claims of ignorance of America. But yes, Brown went to an excellent school Modano. Take my word for it. I am 100% American.

JJJ888, Finchase, and D-Unit -- frankly I have no idea what you are talking about. Your response to my post was odd and off the mark. Modano can write what he wants. It is also ironic that someone who claims to be so ignorant on America would be so well versed in Cowboy football. If that is not ironic then go to www.dictionary.com

Cowboys 35 - Packers 24.
    Last edited by cowboysforever; 11-26-2007, 03:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboysforever View Post
      Originally Posted by cowboysforever
      He is very very likely the smartest player on the team. Engineering from California Polytechnic.... uh, yeah.

Really? Not sure how good .... a simple Google search for the non-American in me ......

http://www.calpolynews.calpoly.edu/n..._rankings.html

This year, Cal Poly’s College of Engineering was named the No. 1 public engineering program in the nation in the magazine's Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs - for schools whose highest degree is a bachelor's or master's.

A number of College of Engineering programs also ranked high in the Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs in their individual specialty categories. Cal Poly's computer, electrical, industrial/manufacturing and mechanical engineering programs were each ranked as the top program at a public university in their respective specialty categories. Other engineering programs that ranked well are civil and aerospace at No. 2.

And with respect to Polytechnic in names of schools it is common world round so to claim ignorance and thinkit believable is a bit much .....

......... I could go on an on. Plenty of Polytechnical Universities in the World in every country with a University System.

Again, it is very IRONIC that a non-American would have so many opinions about something so American and then make dubious claims of ignorance of America. But yes, Brown went to an excellent school Modano. Take my word for it. I am 100% American.

JJJ888, Finchase, and D-Unit -- frankly I have no idea what you are talking about. Your response to my post was odd and off the mark. Modano can write what he wants. It is also ironic that someone who claims to be so ignorant on America would be so well versed in Cowboy football. If that is not ironic then go to www.dictionary.com

Cowboys 35 - Packers 24.
      Again, you show your unwillingness to understand other's points of view.

1. Do you really think that someone, participating in a discussion on a football player, would really care that much that he would actually go and do a Google search on the prestige of a school? Or he could just ask his "friends" who usually would willingly provide him with a simple answer and not be confrontational about it or assault him for the fact that he is not "like" everyone else.

2. Just because there are a number of polytechnic institutes around the world doesn't mean that they are necessarily prestigious or well recognized. Clearly I am no expert on the subject, but doing a google search like you suggested, showed me that Politecnico di Milano has a number of different campuses. Modano could know the University by a number of other names. Furthermore, for Modano to say whether Cal-Poly is a good school is like you saying whether the Universite de Sciences et Technologie de Lille 1 (a European school of comparable size) in France is a good school.

3. The root of the matter is that you responded in a manner inappropriate to the question. Instead of kindly informing someone of less knowledge than you regarding the American University system, you turned his question around and attacked him for being an outsider on an "American Football" forum. In no way did he provoke that response. And yes, I even do understand your point that a foreigner following an "American" game is ironic; you might want to consider, however, that the game really is not so American anymore--there are a number of Canadians, as well as Europeans, on this forum. In fact, one of our first moderators was a Canadian. Clearly Modano understands football, because that is what he cares about in American culture. To understand football, it is not necessary to understand the US university system.

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboysforever View Post
        Only one of those is in Italy... And the word "politecnico" in Italy is usually referred not to a school, but to a center of researches.

Again, it is very IRONIC that a non-American would have so many opinions about something so American and then make dubious claims of ignorance of America.
        Really, you're saying that because I didn't know if Cal-Poly was or not a good school or in America what you intend for polytechnic?
        I am "so ignorant of America" because I don't know that?

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

• I'd prefer if this discussion went to PMs and everybody got back to talking about the Cowboys. I'm predicting Jason Witten goes off in this game.

Comment

• Originally posted by JJJ888 View Post
            ........ you responded in a manner inappropriate to the question. ......... .
            Great, I am wrong.

It is not ironic at all that a non-America would root for America's Team or question an academic institution in America. Also, the word ironic in a sentence is insulting to some and inappropriate to others.

Thanks!!!!!! Happy holidays.

What perplexes me is Modano was contradicting my assertion Cal Poly is a good school for the sole purpose of questioning me, or some guy he thinks I am, on my assertion that Courtney Bown MAYBE the smartest Cowboy. I did not think the position whatsoever controversial but in fact flattering.

But using ironic to describe seemingly obvious facts is bad. Baffling.

Comment

• Thoughts on Tank Johnson after Thursday's game?

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                Thoughts on Tank Johnson after Thursday's game?
                Still needs a little more work. Although I didn't expect much right off the bat, he did lift expectations a little with a sack in the first game, even if he didn't play all that well.

Im still hoping he pans out but at this point it looks like Ratliff is still the best NT on this team with Fergy out. It's really to early to say. By the time playoffs roll around I think we should have a pretty good estimation of what sort of impact he can have on this D-line.

I'd like to give him 2 or 3 more games before making any concrete statements about the guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
                  Still needs a little more work. Although I didn't expect much right off the bat, he did lift expectations a little with a sack in the first game, even if he didn't play all that well.

Im still hoping he pans out but at this point it looks like Ratliff is still the best NT on this team with Fergy out. It's really to early to say. By the time playoffs roll around I think we should have a pretty good estimation of what sort of impact he can have on this D-line.

I'd like to give him 2 or 3 more games before making any concrete statements about the guy.
                  Still hard to say... He had what??? 6 snaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                    Thoughts on Tank Johnson after Thursday's game?
                    He didn't ever stand out to me as having any bad plays so that's a first. I noticed on the pass rush he uses the same spin move he used to take down Manning a lot. Other than that I'm not sure if he's playing enough for me to notice too much more, but if he can play without the defense missing too much I'm all for giving Ratliff a breather.

Desings by D-Unit

Comment

• It's still nice just having a body there. Of course I hope he improves, but just Ratliff and Bowen is scary stuff.

Comment

• In most systems, if a nose tackle doesn't stand out too much, that's a good thing...his job is not to be generating pressure on each play (yes, even in Wade Phillips system), but to be stuffing the run. As far as I could tell, Johnson did a fair job with that.

Comment

• I have to say our defensive line as whole has played very well the past few weeks. Which makes me very happy, as I thought it was one of our major weaknesses coming in to the season. And also major props to Canty who has really become a consistent force for us as of late.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ward View Post
                            I'd prefer if this discussion went to PMs and everybody got back to talking about the Cowboys. I'm predicting Jason Witten goes off in this game.
                            That's a pretty safe bet. If there's one thing the Packers have had problems with on defense it's containing the tight end. We've taken care of average players, but against top TEs such as Gonzalez and Gates they've killed us. Witten is just behind those two so I'd expect the same outcome.

Comment

• I think with Tank we need to wait to next training camp and hope he helps some now.

Comment

• I must be the only Tank hater here...and I'm not a hater by any means...but he is nothing but another body to me. He gets pushed out of position way too much...he even talked about it when being rusty in his interview after the game...he is a big reason our run defense gets bad....I was hoping this would be his strong point....lets just say I'd love to be shown up.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information