This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
    Potentially, a 3rd different offensive coord. in consecutive years for Tony...it will be interesting to see how he performs. I think Sherman would be the most logical considering he's worked under Garrett and would surely use a lot of what we saw this season.

I'm still not completely sold that Garrett is leaving...I'm fine ether way...near the end of the year, I started growing a bit sour of his play-calling.
    I think it was just a nice change from the mundane Parcells play calling, but as we saw as the season ended, it's not an offense that has been battle tested. There's still a lot of development and testing yet to do to it. I think if Cameron follows Garrett, that will be a good thing for the Ravens as Cameron brings a lot of experience with him.
    Last edited by D-Unit; 01-15-2008, 02:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
      I think it was just a nice change from the mundane Parcells play calling, but as we saw as the season ended, it's not an offense that has been battle tested. There's still a lot of development and testing yet to do to it. I think if Cameron follows Garrett, that will be a good thing for the Ravens as Cameron brings a lot of experience with him.
      Now they just need a QB to run that offense.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
      http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
      KO KNOWS

Comment

• Garrett's plan
        1:08 PM Tue, Jan 15, 2008 | Permalink
        Albert Breer E-mail News tips
        According to ESPN's John Clayton, the plan Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett has presented the Ravens has former Dolphins assistants Cam Cameron and Dom Capers going with him to Baltimore as offensive and defensive coordinators, respectively.

This is a mixed bag for Dallas. On one end, it means that a staff that figures to be tattered when the smoke clears will not be raided too extensively by the new Baltimore regime. But another side to it is that if Garrett does go to Baltimore, and Tony Sparano to Miami, Cameron likely would've been a prime candidate to become OC in Dallas.

Cameron was the Chargers' offensive coordinator, while Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips served as DC in San Diego from 2004-06. Cameron's connection to Garrett is through Norv Turner. Cameron was the Redskins quarterbacks coach from 1994-96 under Turner and, as such, runs a similar offensive system to Garrett.

That would probably leave receivers coach Ray Sherman as the top candidate for the offensive coordinator position. Sherman was the Steelers offensive coordinator in 1998, taking over for Chan Gailey there, and the Vikings OC in 1999, where he took the reins from Brian Billick. Sherman resigned after being replaced by Sherman Lewis in Minnesota, and offered a position as receivers coach, after the '99 season.

Quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson could be another candidate. He brings eight years of experience as a position coach, four in Dallas (2000-02, 2007) and three in Chicago (2004-06.)
        One thing that stands out right away when you read this.

1st thing. Why would Cam Cameron want to be Jason's OC? Cameron is an OC and so is Jason, but you know who will make the final play call, Jason. So that would be a big reason this won't happen.

Thanks to bonekrusher for the sig

Comment

• Garrett isn't going anywhere. He is staying, and will be the HC of the cowboys in 2009, unless we win the SB with wade next season.

Damn, I just can't believe we have to wait another 7 1/2 months to play another game. We have to go through FA, the draft, months without anything going on, then OTA's, then mini-camps, then training camp, then pre-season. I can't believe it. I am about to cry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Achilles33 View Post
            Garrett isn't going anywhere. He is staying, and will be the HC of the cowboys in 2009, unless we win the SB with wade next season.

Damn, I just can't believe we have to wait another 7 1/2 months to play another game. We have to go through FA, the draft, months without anything going on, then OTA's, then mini-camps, then training camp, then pre-season. I can't believe it. I am about to cry.
            Garrett is gone and good riddance.

haha. His honeymoon was over quite quickly wasn't it. I was lovin' him in the preseason and throughout our early season success. But the guy does not know the advantages of running on second and long. He'd rather pass and risk having to face 3rd and 10 every single time instead of having to face 3rd and 6 or 7 and running on second down.

His offense was neat in the beginning, but as we saw at the end, he's not a great adjuster. If your QB is getting attacked in the backfield play after play... you RUN the ball!!! Turn the offensive lineman into the maulers instead of backing up to protect play after play. Use the run to set up the pass! It's simple! He just became too predictable.
            Last edited by D-Unit; 01-15-2008, 07:35 PM.

Comment

• Did I say I like Garrett? I think he could be a good coach, but jerry is sold on him. Jerry will match the #'s of any of the teams wanting him and promise him the cowboys Head coaching job next season if wade doesn't win the SB, and maybe even if he does.

D-Unit, what do you think of our ILB situation? Can it be upgraded? I know Ayodele and James' contracts may prevent us from making any changes, but I think ILB is upgradable. First off, have Burnett start at one ILB for coverage and speed, and maybe draft someone or keep bradie for the run thumper. If we traded carp and ayodele I think we could get some good value. I mean i know because of what we have invested in them it will never happen. But imagine what a say Keith Rivers could do to this defense. I know we need a better pash rusher on the DL and a CB, but I think ILB could be upgradable as well, although it won't happen.

Comment

Did I say I like Garrett? I think he could be a good coach, but jerry is sold on him. Jerry will match the #'s of any of the teams wanting him and promise him the cowboys Head coaching job next season if wade doesn't win the SB, and maybe even if he does.

D-Unit, what do you think of our ILB situation? Can it be upgraded? I know Ayodele and James' contracts may prevent us from making any changes, but I think ILB is upgradable. First off, have Burnett start at one ILB for coverage and speed, and maybe draft someone or keep bradie for the run thumper. If we traded carp and ayodele I think we could get some good value. I mean i know because of what we have invested in them it will never happen. But imagine what a say Keith Rivers could do to this defense. I know we need a better pash rusher on the DL and a CB, but I think ILB could be upgradable as well, although it won't happen.
                It'll be interesting to see what Jerry does to counter offers to Garrett. He's allowed him to interview extensively, and I don't think he'd let Garrett go through all that if he wasn't ok with letting him go in the first place.

Look at Josh McDaniels. Right away said he's returning and no other teams are talking to him. If Garrett had some sort of reassurance that he'd get paid big bucks or the future HC job from Jerry, then I doubt he'd be dragging his wife around with him interviewing jobs all over the country and wasting everyone's time. Jerry may not be ok with letting him go, but he can't hold him back.

Keith Davis would be a terrible fit here. He's an OLB through and through. ILB could stand to be upgraded, but the cost probably does not warrant a high draft pick. Burnett is already a big part of the picture as Akin's role has basically been cut in half. Carp isn't working out. He needs to be used as trade bait, imo.

Here's what I've been thinking with Carp. Mind you... this is only in my own wonderful imagination... but what if... The Patriots were willing to bite on this deal. Our own first rounder, Bobby Carpenter and perhaps a late pick to the Pats in exchange for Asante Samuel? It's unknown what the Pats will do with him. Will they pony up a long term contract for him? I find that highly unlikely considering their past history in doing that. Will they franchise him and go through that whole hold out situation that they did last year? Probably yeah... I think they will franchise him instead of losing him for nothing... BUT here's the deal... while they are sitting there with the 7th pick of the draft, I think they will draft Mike Jenkins. Especially now that Laurinaitis and Malcolm Jenkins returned to school. The only way I see the Pats passing on Jenkins is if Gholston, Chris Long or McFadden are on the board. A highly unlikely situation at pick 7.

Soooo.... there the Pats are... sitting nicely with Mike Jenkins in one hand and hold out Asante in the other...and no more first round picks. The entire Pats LB corps is aging fast outside of Adalius Thomas. Bruschi, Seau, Vrabel... Who has been compared to Vrabel in the past? None other than Bobby Carpenter. Who is a Parcells guy? Belichick... Carpenter... Call me crazy, but I see where the piece fits puzzle. The Patriots come out of their situation with Mike Jenkins, Bobby Carpenter and our first rounder and perhaps another late pick. Supposedly, a franchised player commands 2 first rounders, but teams have the discretion of accepting a lesser or comparative deal. I can't see how they could turn down our offer.

Meanwhile, Jerry makes his big splash and front page news, we solidify our secondary with the perfect cornerback type that we need to lock down any slick slot receiver, and we don't have to wait for that CB to develop. He's ready to step in from day 1 and is still young. ...and we still have the Browns pick to have fun with in first round on draft day. We have the cap to make this move and there are no big FA names out there that are more attractive. Jerry will be ansty to spend his money.
                Last edited by D-Unit; 01-15-2008, 08:25 PM.

Comment

• That is an interesting point..

Oh and you didn't answer my question about ILB...

Comment

That is an interesting point..

It's interesting that you mention ILB. I think that's the weakest part of the defense. Even more than CB.

I don't know if it's Jame or Ayodele or both, but we're soft against the run up the middle. Every great defense has a playmaker at MLB or ILB. I don't think it's a coincidence.

Designs by Thule

Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
                    I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.

Comment

That is an interesting point..

James is probably Ok in there, but Burnett needs to be featured. He is more physically gifted than Ayodele or James and should be the number 1 guy out there IMO.

Burnett provides more of a pass rush than either of them as well.

For our backers to be truly effective, we need more up front. It starts there. Spears is a big part of the problem, Ratliff and Canty are ok and could get better, but we could use a star up there.

Comment

• I think if Hatcher could finally stay healthy, he could be what we need from the DE position. I think it was you burns who said than Spencer looks promising, and I agree. I thiknk we have the pass rush we need in the players we already have they just need to be used correctly, see the field, or stay healthy.

One way or another, Burnett needs to be starting at ILB come week 1 next season, bottom line.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                          It'll be interesting to see what Jerry does to counter offers to Garrett. He's allowed him to interview extensively, and I don't think he'd let Garrett go through all that if he wasn't ok with letting him go in the first place.

Look at Josh McDaniels. Right away said he's returning and no other teams are talking to him. If Garrett had some sort of reassurance that he'd get paid big bucks or the future HC job from Jerry, then I doubt he'd be dragging his wife around with him interviewing jobs all over the country and wasting everyone's time. Jerry may not be ok with letting him go, but he can't hold him back.

Keith Davis would be a terrible fit here. He's an OLB through and through. ILB could stand to be upgraded, but the cost probably does not warrant a high draft pick. Burnett is already a big part of the picture as Akin's role has basically been cut in half. Carp isn't working out. He needs to be used as trade bait, imo.

Here's what I've been thinking with Carp. Mind you... this is only in my own wonderful imagination... but what if... The Patriots were willing to bite on this deal. Our own first rounder, Bobby Carpenter and perhaps a late pick to the Pats in exchange for Asante Samuel? It's unknown what the Pats will do with him. Will they pony up a long term contract for him? I find that highly unlikely considering their past history in doing that. Will they franchise him and go through that whole hold out situation that they did last year? Probably yeah... I think they will franchise him instead of losing him for nothing... BUT here's the deal... while they are sitting there with the 7th pick of the draft, I think they will draft Mike Jenkins. Especially now that Laurinaitis and Malcolm Jenkins returned to school. The only way I see the Pats passing on Jenkins is if Gholston, Chris Long or McFadden are on the board. A highly unlikely situation at pick 7.

Soooo.... there the Pats are... sitting nicely with Mike Jenkins in one hand and hold out Asante in the other...and no more first round picks. The entire Pats LB corps is aging fast outside of Adalius Thomas. Bruschi, Seau, Vrabel... Who has been compared to Vrabel in the past? None other than Bobby Carpenter. Who is a Parcells guy? Belichick... Carpenter... Call me crazy, but I see where the piece fits puzzle. The Patriots come out of their situation with Mike Jenkins, Bobby Carpenter and our first rounder and perhaps another late pick. Supposedly, a franchised player commands 2 first rounders, but teams have the discretion of accepting a lesser or comparative deal. I can't see how they could turn down our offer.

Meanwhile, Jerry makes his big splash and front page news, we solidify our secondary with the perfect cornerback type that we need to lock down any slick slot receiver, and we don't have to wait for that CB to develop. He's ready to step in from day 1 and is still young. ...and we still have the Browns pick to have fun with in first round on draft day. We have the cap to make this move and there are no big FA names out there that are more attractive. Jerry will be ansty to spend his money.

I'm almost positive when he signed his deal last year he had a clause that he could not be franchised this year. Also I thought you didn't like Asante...

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Comment

• John Clayton just reported Garret is 60-40 on the Ravens job. I personally think that when he talks to Jerry tomorrow those numbers will be switched around. Sour taste in his mouth might just be enough to keep him here.

One name that I haven't heard brought up yet is young gun Wesley Phillips. Remember Wade and His dad...well I wouldn't be surprised to see Wesley brought up and given the reigns.

Comment

• Originally posted by pocketaces View Post
                              I'm almost positive when he signed his deal last year he had a clause that he could not be franchised this year. Also I thought you didn't like Asante...
                              Oh that's even better news!

What made you think I didn't like Asante. That guy is amazing! I've never said anything bad about him.

Heck, I even like Pacman Jones... I'd put up with the drama if he performs on the field and his teammates like him.

Comment

• Originally posted by LSUALUM99 View Post
                                It's interesting that you mention ILB. I think that's the weakest part of the defense. Even more than CB.

I don't know if it's Jame or Ayodele or both, but we're soft against the run up the middle. Every great defense has a playmaker at MLB or ILB. I don't think it's a coincidence.
                                I'm totally on the same wavelength with ya.

Here's my opinion.

DT > DE
                                ILB > OLB
                                S > CB

We haven't had a really good MLB since Ken Norton Jr. Ironically, that's the last time our D was really good too. Look at Urlacher, Ray Lewis, Teddy Bruschi... heck even Jeremiah Trotter and Zach Thomas were main catalysts for their teams. I haven't been shy about my lack of love for Bradie James despite the guys that love to chew me up everytime he has a good game. ...and Akin.... well, I don't know if he's ever had a fan here since his first season. I admit, I was excited about signing him when we did, but he's disappointed majorly.

Their run stuffing is what makes them ok with keeping, but they are in the same boat as Marcus Spears for me.

Problem is... I don't see a real standout ILB in this draft class. If I could pick one, it's Beau Bell. He's a stud. In later rounds, I like J Leman, Spencer Larsen and Ben Moffitt

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information