Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dallas Cowboys Discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • We can only hope. Crayton's contract can actually be a bad thing. Now we can't really go after a slot because he is supposed to be our slot. He has no speed though, so how is he a good slot? He has great hands (not shown in the playoffs) and can find the soft spots in zones, but I want a threat in the slot, not Crayton, you catchs the ball and goes down.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Achilles33 View Post
      We can only hope. Crayton's contract can actually be a bad thing. Now we can't really go after a slot because he is supposed to be our slot. He has no speed though, so how is he a good slot? He has great hands (not shown in the playoffs) and can find the soft spots in zones, but I want a threat in the slot, not Crayton, you catchs the ball and goes down.
      You don't need great speed to be a slot. They're more about quickness than speed per se. Slot receivers aren't usually the ones who stretch the field. They usually run short to mid range routes and have a knack for finding soft spots in the zone, or getting quick separation against man. In a slot, I'd look for good hands, good quickness, and good awareness... oh and good downfield blocking. Size and speed aren't as necessary for slots as they are for your two starting WRs.

      Comment


      • Well...maybe saying Akin was strong against the run was a little much but, he still gets praise from the coaches when it comes to this and he wasnt nearly as bad as you think. I do agree that he wasn't great and at times awfully quiet this season. The fact is, he was just a very average player this year but, given his contract...he'll most likely be starting again next season.
        Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 01-23-2008, 08:49 PM.

        Thanks BoneKrusher^

        http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
        http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
        KO KNOWS

        Comment


        • Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
          Well...maybe saying Akin was strong against the run was a little much but, he still gets praise from the coaches when it comes to this and he wasnt nearly as bad as you think. I do agree that he wasn't great and at times awfully quiet this season. The fact is, he was just a very average player this year but, given his contract...he'll most likely be starting again next season.
          Akin is set to earn 8.5M more dollars if he lives out the term of his contract. If we cut him, we free ourselves from that cap number. The only amount he is owed is the $5M signing bonus, but I'm unsure how much of that has already been paid. I think his contract is very cuttable.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
            You don't need great speed to be a slot. They're more about quickness than speed per se. Slot receivers aren't usually the ones who stretch the field. They usually run short to mid range routes and have a knack for finding soft spots in the zone, or getting quick separation against man. In a slot, I'd look for good hands, good quickness, and good awareness... oh and good downfield blocking. Size and speed aren't as necessary for slots as they are for your two starting WRs.
            Very good points. I think Crayton is an excellent slot. He's got adequate speed and quickness, but more than anything, he's smart and knows how to find those soft spots in the zone. When we get a guy this offseason to put opposite TO and Crayton goes back to the slot, that's when our offense should really start clicking.
            In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.


            -Douglas MacArthur

            Comment


            • Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
              Akin is set to earn 8.5M more dollars if he lives out the term of his contract. If we cut him, we free ourselves from that cap number. The only amount he is owed is the $5M signing bonus, but I'm unsure how much of that has already been paid. I think his contract is very cuttable.
              He hasnt really been bad enough to really justify being cut. That would be pretty surprising...the fans may want to see it but, we rarely hear anything negative among the coaches when talking about Akin. The same can be said about Kosier...we might want him out but, the actual likelihood of this happening, is low.

              Thanks BoneKrusher^

              http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
              http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
              KO KNOWS

              Comment


              • Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland says the team is "open for business" when it comes to the No. 1 overall pick in the draft

                "Rome wasn't built in a day, and this won't be built in a day either," Ireland said. "The No. 1 pick is no different from the 22nd pick. You've got to make the right selection. You just can't miss on it. We'll listen to all offers." Jan. 24 - 10:43 am et

                anyone else notice the irony in the bolded part, the 22nd pick :)


                looks like something is trying to get worked out, I would love if Dallas came out of this offseason with Shaun Rogers and Chris Long





                Originally posted by Scott Wright
                I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                  anyone else notice the irony in the bolded part, the 22nd pick :)


                  looks like something is trying to get worked out, I would love if Dallas came out of this offseason with Shaun Rogers and Chris Long
                  What would it take for the #1? Maybe both 1st round picks, 3rd and Bobby Carpenter? I doubt that little, but I'd be open to doing that.

                  Comment


                  • If someone has a chart for value it would help, but I think we could do it while keeping one first...If we part with 22, a 2nd, and maybe a future pick along with a player or 2 parcells likes(not only carpenter but maybe free as well) and that should be enough


                    I just hope if we do all that we take Chris Long over McFadden, id be more then happy with Chris Johnson or Felix with Barber staying where we are, if we give up all that id want Chris Long on the edge opposite Canty with Rogers in the middle...





                    Originally posted by Scott Wright
                    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

                    Comment


                    • Scott has a trade value chart under features. =D


                      Originally posted by Halsey
                      I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.

                      Comment


                      • You would need to trade both picks...or it wouldnt be happening.

                        Thanks BoneKrusher^

                        http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                        http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                        KO KNOWS

                        Comment


                        • I have about 10 total trade scenario's around in the draft thread to get the #1 pick..go back and take a look.

                          Comment


                          • I think Miami will have to receive less than fair value for the #1 pick. Namely because I don't think a lot of teams will be fighting for it. There is no clear cut elite #1 prospect that teams "have to" have. The top of the draft goes about 8 deep. Teams will draft for need and most at the top will get a guy they can be happy with. Miami also has a lot of holes to fill and they are definitely looking to shop the pick. Ireland said that already, in his SB interview. They are shopping it.

                            It would cost our 2 firsts and some spare change. Perhaps Burnett, Hatcher, Fasano or Carpenter... or some combination along with some later picks or future later picks.

                            Chris Long is the only guy I'd want at #1. Maybe I'll whip up a mock with that scenario.
                            Last edited by D-Unit; 01-24-2008, 03:49 PM.

                            Comment


                            • I'm calling it right now....we won't trade up for the first pick.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by thule View Post
                                I'm calling it right now....we won't trade up for the first pick.
                                HA HA! You put that idea in our head in the first place!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information