Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I still have dmn paper clippings of Roy signing with UT out of Odessa back in 01 I believe with BJ Johnson, and I loved the wr he turned into...Catches with his hands not with his body, and will punish a db after the catch...He loves running with the ball so he's a versatile guy, I can only imagine how creative Garrett could get with him and TO on opposite sides with Witten in the middle...So many options, and I have no doubt if Roy came here he would be a pro bowler, 1100 yds and 8 tds at the least...

Him and TO would present mis-matches with dbs and that leaves us with the endzone fade on both sides, or quick screens to let them run with the ball...We havent even seem him play his best ball yet, he was just starting to hit his stride last year before he hurt his knee.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Todd Archer re: tagging Flozell. See what you think of it now

How about naming Ken Hamlin the franchise player? It would cost the Cowboys half as much $4.396 million) to tag Hamlin than it would be to tag Adams ($9 million). And if they were to give Adams the franchise tag, then that would eat up just about all of their remaining cap room. Then the team would have to re-work a ton of contracts to come up with more room to sign free agents.
      Yikes. Sounds to me like the best options are either to let Flo go, or to get him to sign some sort of longer term deal. Good luck signing that big corner you guys all want if you also franchise Flozell. Or trading for Williams or Rogers. Not a great situation, and it sounds like most of us on this board aren't really being cap conscious when we speak about free agency.

Comment

• Originally posted by JJJ888 View Post
        Todd Archer re: tagging Flozell. See what you think of it now

Yikes. Sounds to me like the best options are either to let Flo go, or to get him to sign some sort of longer term deal. Good luck signing that big corner you guys all want if you also franchise Flozell. Or trading for Williams or Rogers. Not a great situation, and it sounds like most of us on this board aren't really being cap conscious when we speak about free agency.
        I HATE the idea of franchising Flo. I don't want him signed for more than a 1 year contract. If we must, sign him to a longer contract, with the intention of cutting him after this next season. Back load the contract and pay him beans in his first year with a VERY minimal signing bonus.

We need to draft a LT on Day 1. It's critical.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
          I HATE the idea of franchising Flo. I don't want him signed for more than a 1 year contract. If we must, sign him to a longer contract, with the intention of cutting him after this next season. Back load the contract and pay him beans in his first year with a VERY minimal signing bonus.

Of course if that's our intention, Flo and his agent would never sign that type of a deal.

I think we need to say goodbye to Flo. I hate it, but sometimes you have to follow the Pats model of making cold-hearted business decisions.

Now as for the player at LT, D-Unit and I disagree on who that should be. I personally don't think there will be anyone available when we pick that would better than Free or McQuistan on day one. I think, at some point, you have to trust your draft. Not to mention you have the highest paid OL coach in the league. He should be able to get either Free or McQuistan close to that level.
          In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

did everyone forget we did that THIS year??
            james marten and doug free anyone??

Comment

• Marten is not a LT, but I think Free has the athleticism to be a very good LT.
              In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

I think that's pretty good reasoning. I'm not totally sure about it being critical that we draft a LT on Day 1, because I have some confidence in McQuistan and Free. I think that one should be able to do the job. I think that drafting a left tackle (Anthony Collins is my personal favorite right now) on Day 1 would be beneficial if we don't resign Flo, but in no way do I think it to be critical, especially if Adams is retained.

Comment

• Flo has NOT BEEN FRANCHISED YET..

That article, which I was about to post, does make and interesting point. Also, it states that Franchising Flo would take away pretty much all of our cap room....

Comment

• Heard that Capers wont be on our staff this year as a consultant, hopefully he doesnt get any other job offers this season, we will surely find room for him next year...If/When Garrett gets promoted I really want him to bring Capers along with him.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
                      Marten is not a LT, but I think Free has the athleticism to be a very good LT.
                      I've seen some sites that I respect a lot that gave Free a late 2nd-early 3rd round grade last season. One even had him as the #5 tackle prospect in the draft. I think he's got pretty substantial upside, as does McQuistan (although his twin brother, Paul, hasn't lived up to that upside with more chances than Pat's been given). Free may have gone higher in the draft if there hadn't been concerns about his competition. In any case, I certainly think he has the potential to be a starting LT in this league, and a fairly good one. Nevertheless, I wouldn't be opposed to selecting another guy who could compete for the job.

Comment

• Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
                        did everyone forget we did that THIS year??
                        james marten and doug free anyone??
                        Day 1 this year means Rounds 1 and 2. I think you're on an island of your own if you think we spent a 1st or 2nd rounder on Marten and Free.

Marten is our RT. Free as our starting LT means, no superbowl.

Comment

• Originally posted by JJJ888 View Post
                          I think that's pretty good reasoning. I'm not totally sure about it being critical that we draft a LT on Day 1, because I have some confidence in McQuistan and Free. I think that one should be able to do the job. I think that drafting a left tackle (Anthony Collins is my personal favorite right now) on Day 1 would be beneficial if we don't resign Flo, but in no way do I think it to be critical, especially if Adams is retained.
                          That's interesting because I just so happened to select Anthony Collins in the forum mock! :D

Comment

• So fanchising Hamlin is the new hype, huh?

Well thats nice... Jerry tells him if he plays well he will get paid well. He goes out and plays better than any safety in the NFC and then Jerry slaps him with the franchise tag instead of giving him the long term contract he was promised.

I'm sure Hamlin would be jumping for joy over that one. Then next year we could look forward to trying to figure out how to sign Hamlin, Newman, and T.O. -- Nice...

Comment

• Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
                              So fanchising Hamlin is the new hype, huh?

Well thats nice... Jerry tells him if he plays well he will get paid well. He goes out and plays better than any safety in the NFC and then Jerry slaps him with the franchise tag instead of giving him the long term contract he was promised.

I'm sure Hamlin would be jumping for joy over that one. Then next year we could look forward to trying to figure out how to sign Hamlin, Newman, and T.O. -- Nice...
                              I don't get it. Hamlin deserves a long term contract.

Comment

I don't get it. Hamlin deserves a long term contract.
                                I know, that's what I would hope.

But a lot of people are jumping onto the idea that we should franchise Hamlin.

To me, this is a slap in his face. I want him locked up long term, but I am also skeptical about Jerry getting it done-- as Im sure you already know.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information