Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dallas Cowboys Discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I think it is interesting to note that JJT the former Cowboys beat writer was asked which 3 positions worry Parcells the most and he said Kicker, FS, and NT, not RT or even RG. I would agree with that and I think we should be more concerned about replacing Rivera at RG than Colombo at RT.

    LSU, I have to disagree with you on a couple points, I think there's a pretty good chance MB3 would have just as much success as a feature back and maybe even more although we may never know for sure, but I do understand the arguement of how the backup RB has the advantage of going against a D that's already begun to wear down. I also don't think we should be considering drafting a CB on the first day as we arguably have the best top 3 CBs in the league unless it was a guy on the second day who could also contribute as a kick and punt returner. I think Aaron Glenn will be able to play for at least 2 or 3 more years at a pretty high level.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by dpl85
      I think it is interesting to note that JJT the former Cowboys beat writer was asked which 3 positions worry Parcells the most and he said Kicker, FS, and NT, not RT or even RG. I would agree with that and I think we should be more concerned about replacing Rivera at RG than Colombo at RT.

      LSU, I have to disagree with you on a couple points, I think there's a pretty good chance MB3 would have just as much success as a feature back and maybe even more although we may never know for sure, but I do understand the arguement of how the backup RB has the advantage of going against a D that's already begun to wear down. I also don't think we should be considering drafting a CB on the first day as we arguably have the best top 3 CBs in the league unless it was a guy on the second day who could also contribute as a kick and punt returner. I think Aaron Glenn will be able to play for at least 2 or 3 more years at a pretty high level.
      What has Barber done to make you believe he can be a feature back? Really think about that, I can't think of anything. Maybe if you got to see practice you could see something, but we haven't really seen anything.

      Desings by D-Unit

      Comment


      • Originally posted by LSUALUM99
        My issue is that by definition Free Agents are over priced. By that I mean that the market price for any player is set by the average offered for that player. However, you aren't paying the average price, the FA signs for the HIGHEST offer. So by the very act of signing a FA you are overpaying for them.

        It's no coincidence that the teams that consistantly use FA to build their team are typically disappointed in the results.

        It's the free market at it's very finest.
        The best teams use the FA for the final touches on a team that was built through the draft, you never want your whole team counting on a good FA signing class (I'm looking at you Washington).

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Jdallas
          Originally posted by dpl85
          I think it is interesting to note that JJT the former Cowboys beat writer was asked which 3 positions worry Parcells the most and he said Kicker, FS, and NT, not RT or even RG. I would agree with that and I think we should be more concerned about replacing Rivera at RG than Colombo at RT.

          LSU, I have to disagree with you on a couple points, I think there's a pretty good chance MB3 would have just as much success as a feature back and maybe even more although we may never know for sure, but I do understand the arguement of how the backup RB has the advantage of going against a D that's already begun to wear down. I also don't think we should be considering drafting a CB on the first day as we arguably have the best top 3 CBs in the league unless it was a guy on the second day who could also contribute as a kick and punt returner. I think Aaron Glenn will be able to play for at least 2 or 3 more years at a pretty high level.
          What has Barber done to make you believe he can be a feature back? Really think about that, I can't think of anything. Maybe if you got to see practice you could see something, but we haven't really seen anything.
          Well obviously he hasn't had as many carries or opportunities as JJ but he has really taken advantage of the somewhat limited playing time he gets. I think he is second in the NFC in TDs for RBs so obviously he has a nose for the goaline and is a strong short yardage runner. He also blocks and catches better than JJ which makes him an ideal 3rd down back. And probably most important of all despite the fact that he hasn't received as many carries or plays as JJ MB3 has yet to miss any significant time with injuries which durability is probably the best attribute a RB can have. I'm not saying MB3 should be the starter as we have a good system now and it would be dumb to try and fix something that's not broken but I also wouldn't be overly concerned if JJ went down again as I think MB3 has shown albeit in a somewhat limited role he can handle the load. On the fairly rare occasions that JJ was hurt and MB3 started he has played pretty well.

          JD, with all due respect unless you have the sunday ticket package I doubt you have been able to watch every single game this year or last year for that matter in it's entirety and therefore couldn't have seen enough to make a fully informed judgement.

          Comment


          • I have to agree with you LSU...we need to go after a skill position rb/wr/cb

            Personally I wouldn't be shocked if a guy fell and we offered up JJ as bait. I could see a team like GB interested in JJ which would give us about the pick that we used on him. That wouldn't be terrible. If a guy like Bush was sitting there it would sure make me think.

            Personally I think there is one guy in the first round that we HAVE to get. Teddy Ginn baby. He is so explosive he would be able to play from the start. He could contribute on special teams if needed and he is a game breaker. With a team with not many holes...trading up shouldn't hurt you much as long as you don't give away your future. This could be hard to get up that far...but we have some bait. We are deep at a few positions. IDK if we have the ammo to move into the top 10...but we should be able to move into the 12-18 area depending on where we are.

            If we don't land him...then my next playmaker is McCauley...he has probabally the most potential out of everyone in this draft...but he is raw. He would be a solid pick at the end of round one if he performs well at the combine which he should...probabally one of the faster CB's in this draft.

            If a top LT or a guy named Blalock fall I would be very interested in that...but I have a feeling we go RG in FA....lets face it our line would have very little experience and flozell hasn't seemed to take a leadership role from what i've seen. Koiser has some experience but doesn't rub off as a leader to me...Gurode enough said...and Columbo doesn't have enough experience at this time. I think with a deep RG FA market we could pick up a nice player. This would allow us to go BPA the whole draft realistically.

            Comment


            • I can't see any reason why we would draft a CB or RB in the first two rounds. We are set at RB for now with JJ and MB3, I think we're top ten in rush offense. We're also set at CB with Newman and Henry. Newman and Henry aren't going anywhere, if we drafted a CB he would only be a nickel CB at best for the first 2 or 3 years.

              Comment


              • I think we can pick a goo CB or WR in the second round too.. The two players I really like are Limas Sweed and Daymon Hughes.. I think they are 2nd/3rd round projects right now, and they have huge potential.

                FS has been our biggest problem on defense since Woodson retired (do you remember when we started Lynn Scott?) so i'm for takin a stud FS in the first. Watkins has potential, but imagine a guy like Nelson near Roy Williams. They will be the best safety combo in the league, and they'll allow us to be very aggressive with our front seven..


                In Bob We Trust

                John Madden's wedding video business

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Modano
                  I think we can pick a goo CB or WR in the second round too.. The two players I really like are Limas Sweed and Daymon Hughes.. I think they are 2nd/3rd round projects right now, and they have huge potential.

                  FS has been our biggest problem on defense since Woodson retired (do you remember when we started Lynn Scott?) so i'm for takin a stud FS in the first. Watkins has potential, but imagine a guy like Nelson near Roy Williams. They will be the best safety combo in the league, and they'll allow us to be very aggressive with our front seven..
                  Sweed is about a 10% chance of comming out from what i've read...not likely at all.

                  Hughes is good but would you rather have McCauley for potential purpuses? What makes you favor Hughes of McCauley.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by dpl85
                    I can't see any reason why we would draft a CB or RB in the first two rounds. We are set at RB for now with JJ and MB3, I think we're top ten in rush offense. We're also set at CB with Newman and Henry. Newman and Henry aren't going anywhere, if we drafted a CB he would only be a nickel CB at best for the first 2 or 3 years.
                    The point is we are pretty much set everywhere. The draft is a great place to get big time players for cheaper. Like LSU said FA is a gone to the highest bidder...if you can keep youth at your key positions you can be good. Our running game has been good I agree...but I believe we are tlaking about shipping JJ to bring one in.

                    Comment


                    • I was going to post this in my first post, but i decided to leave it out.- I think we should wait until next year to go after a top WR in the draft. They would see limited time for probably a couple years. Also the only round 1 WR that I would want is Calvin Johnson, and that isn't going to happen.

                      I think most people agree that we need to bring in another speed guy with Glenn getting up there in years, and Robert Meachem would be a great target next year. I highly doubt he comes out this year.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by fryman
                        I was going to post this in my first post, but i decided to leave it out.- I think we should wait until next year to go after a top WR in the draft. They would see limited time for probably a couple years. Also the only round 1 WR that I would want is Calvin Johnson, and that isn't going to happen.

                        I think most people agree that we need to bring in another speed guy with Glenn getting up there in years, and Robert Meachem would be a great target next year. I highly doubt he comes out this year.
                        Remember how all of use worried about not having a speed guy a year or two ago. How Glenn was good but if something happened to him we'd be f'd. Well for some reason that has went on the back burner....Crayton/Hurd aren't burners....Austin is fast but not really a burner. I wanna see us get a speed guy. If we have any shot at Ginn I want him.

                        Comment


                        • I love draft convo! You guys are putting together some really nice posts!

                          A lot of good points made.

                          I wanna playmaker in Round 1. I'm not a fan of our OL, but they can wait. Look at Robert Gallery, Alex Barron, D'Brickashaw Ferguson... They just don't have enough significant impact.

                          Right now, I'm riding high on Reggie Nelson.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by D-Unit
                            I love draft convo! You guys are putting together some really nice posts!

                            A lot of good points made.

                            I wanna playmaker in Round 1. I'm not a fan of our OL, but they can wait. Look at Robert Gallery, Alex Barron, D'Brickashaw Ferguson... They just don't have enough significant impact.

                            Right now, I'm riding high on Reggie Nelson.
                            Landry > Nelson.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by thule
                              Originally posted by fryman
                              I was going to post this in my first post, but i decided to leave it out.- I think we should wait until next year to go after a top WR in the draft. They would see limited time for probably a couple years. Also the only round 1 WR that I would want is Calvin Johnson, and that isn't going to happen.

                              I think most people agree that we need to bring in another speed guy with Glenn getting up there in years, and Robert Meachem would be a great target next year. I highly doubt he comes out this year.
                              Remember how all of use worried about not having a speed guy a year or two ago. How Glenn was good but if something happened to him we'd be f'd. Well for some reason that has went on the back burner....Crayton/Hurd aren't burners....Austin is fast but not really a burner. I wanna see us get a speed guy. If we have any shot at Ginn I want him.
                              Yeah I realize that, as I mentioned we need a speedy receiver in my post, but I just don't really like Ginn.

                              I would love to get Meachem though. :D

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by fryman
                                Originally posted by thule
                                Originally posted by fryman
                                I was going to post this in my first post, but i decided to leave it out.- I think we should wait until next year to go after a top WR in the draft. They would see limited time for probably a couple years. Also the only round 1 WR that I would want is Calvin Johnson, and that isn't going to happen.

                                I think most people agree that we need to bring in another speed guy with Glenn getting up there in years, and Robert Meachem would be a great target next year. I highly doubt he comes out this year.
                                Remember how all of use worried about not having a speed guy a year or two ago. How Glenn was good but if something happened to him we'd be f'd. Well for some reason that has went on the back burner....Crayton/Hurd aren't burners....Austin is fast but not really a burner. I wanna see us get a speed guy. If we have any shot at Ginn I want him.
                                Yeah I realize that, as I mentioned we need a speedy receiver in my post, but I just don't really like Ginn.

                                I would love to get Meachem though. :D
                                I guess I'm lost at how you cannot like Ginn..his speed has shown second to none so far. I am expecting staggering numbers at the combine from him. He has that sixth gear that not many others have. The best part about him...is that he has so much untapped potential..he could one day step in as a number one target. I really don't see Meachem as a number one in 3 years. Ginn has the potential to be as big of a gamebreaker as Steve Smith.

                                The big part of drafting a WR...is finding someone who will eventually fill our number 1 roll on this team. Right now we have one young guy that could do it. Miles Austin...and I don't feel like putting my eggs in his basket until he shows something. Thats why if we have a chance to land someone with the potential of Ginn...not only could he one day be our number one...but he also can contribute right away on special teams as a return man. Something we don't exactly have. Newman is good but if he went down....our defense would be in awhole different world. Whereas if Ginn was back there...you would be losing your slot reciever at best. This is what i'm looking for in my first round pick. Someone who can contribute to this team early....yet solidify a spot for the future.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information