This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shane_man View Post
    I dont think there is any doubt that they would work well together. The thing that is hard to understand is that... Im not sure anyone thinks DMAC can be a feature back. So why would we trade up to a top five pick(and a top five contract) for a player who will only play on 50% of downs on offence?
    I think your logic on why the 2-back system is being used more often is a little skewed. I don't think it's so much of backs not being able to handle the load, but it being more of the coaches wanting to keep their players fresh and explosive. I've seen Bobby Bowden rotate defensive linemen throughout the game to keep the line steady. The league is way too advanced now to have one player carry the ball 30 times, plus have him block on 3rd downs as well. Bigger, Stronger, Faster athletes mean the fatigue factor has increased.
    I have no doubt McFadden could be a number 1, and i am also pretty positive that i'm not the only one that thinks that way.. BUT, i would much rather
    have him share the load with another running back to keep him fresh to break off 50+ yard runs when the hole is there.

Comment

• As far as McFadden slipping out of the top 6 goes, I came up with a scenario the other day that had him dropping to the Panthers at 13...with all the signings of teams that need backs in the top 10 (Fargas in Oakland, Turner in Atlanta, and Chatman in New York), one could easily make a case that no team in the top 12 (or even top 14) needs a running back. Now, I would certainly expect that if McFadden fell past the Patriots, someone would trade up and snag him. But with all the reports of his stock dropping (thanks mostly to Mike Mayock) it doesn't seem implausible for DMac to be available outside the top 10. In reality, I don't see it happening, but it's still something to consider.

Comment

• Originally posted by JJJ888 View Post
        As far as McFadden slipping out of the top 6 goes, I came up with a scenario the other day that had him dropping to the Panthers at 13...with all the signings of teams that need backs in the top 10 (Fargas in Oakland, Turner in Atlanta, and Chatman in New York), one could easily make a case that no team in the top 12 (or even top 14) needs a running back. Now, I would certainly expect that if McFadden fell past the Patriots, someone would trade up and snag him. But with all the reports of his stock dropping (thanks mostly to Mike Mayock) it doesn't seem implausible for DMac to be available outside the top 10. In reality, I don't see it happening, but it's still something to consider.
        If he somehow fell past the Jets, I think its for sure we trade up to new england, they will get to make up the other pick that they lost and still come away with 2, and Jerry wont need to add in anything other then 2 picks...Im not sure about going after him anywhere higher then that, but past 6 id bet on it, he wouldnt sit there and let him go past all those teams...

And as far as going to 13, Cincy would take him at 9, id almost bet they wouldnt want to pass him up, they have no real rushing attack and mcfadden is a great fit in their offense, its obviously a bpa pick over need but he's an elite guy i dont think he falls that far...Talent trumps character concerns, Cincy would overlook his if he played well.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
        I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
          I think your logic on why the 2-back system is being used more often is a little skewed. I don't think it's so much of backs not being able to handle the load, but it being more of the coaches wanting to keep their players fresh and explosive. I've seen Bobby Bowden rotate defensive linemen throughout the game to keep the line steady. The league is way too advanced now to have one player carry the ball 30 times, plus have him block on 3rd downs as well. Bigger, Stronger, Faster athletes mean the fatigue factor has increased.
          I have no doubt McFadden could be a number 1, and i am also pretty positive that i'm not the only one that thinks that way.. BUT, i would much rather
          have him share the load with another running back to keep him fresh to break off 50+ yard runs when the hole is there.

I just dont believe this, look at LT, Westbrook, Steven Jackson, LJ, soon to be AD, I could go on and on. Emmitt wasnt exactly big or fast but he carried the load every game. This is why I hope we dont trade up for McFadden. Why use two firsts on a part time player? Give me a WR and CB with our two first or at least two starters.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Comment

• Originally posted by pocketaces View Post
            I just dont believe this, look at LT, Westbrook, Steven Jackson, LJ, soon to be AD, I could go on and on. Emmitt wasnt exactly big or fast but he carried the load every game. This is why I hope we dont trade up for McFadden. Why use two firsts on a part time player? Give me a WR and CB with our two first or at least two starters.
            yeah, but Emmitt played ten years ago. The game has Changed

LT was spelled by Turner and Sproles, but while he did carry probably 85%, he didn't carry the entire load ala Emmitt. I'll give you that Westbrook and Jackson carry the load, but the Eagles and Rams are predominantly passing teams and the Eagles drafted Tony Hunt in the third last year and the Rams drafted Brian Leonard in the second. LJ carried the load for two years and I think his body has taken an Extreme amount of punishment and will no longer be able to stay healthy and as productive and will end up like Shaun Alexander (who carried the load) is looked at now days. AD should NEVER carry the load. Sure he's a hell of a player, but he cannot stay healthy. Not even at OU. If you have him carry the load the chances of having him for only a portion of the season are pretty good.

obviously I think its important for a two or even three back rotation because guys are taking punishment and will stay healthier, they are fresh when the defense is tired in the fourth quarter, etc.

Comment

• Tatum Bell just resigned w/the Lions. I was open to signing him. I'm just anxious for the draft and to see what direction we go in with regards to RB & WR. I think it's pretty clear we'll make a move on a young CB in the draft, but the other two position are up in the air. The writing is on the wall that we'll take a RB in the first 3 rounds, but not WR.

Comment

• Originally posted by pocketaces View Post
                So you want to draft a WR...who might not see the field at all and a CB who may only be a nickel back..and could be #4 if we brought in another guy. Looks like your draft could equate into 50% of the snaps as well..so I don't buy your logic here man.

Comment

• Originally posted by leroyisgod View Post
                  Tatum Bell just resigned w/the Lions. I was open to signing him. I'm just anxious for the draft and to see what direction we go in with regards to RB & WR. I think it's pretty clear we'll make a move on a young CB in the draft, but the other two position are up in the air. The writing is on the wall that we'll take a RB in the first 3 rounds, but not WR.
                  Thank goodness for Chef Boyardee! I didn't want him there AT ALL. phew.

Chris Johnson boys! Ingrain that in your heads cause it's happening.

Comment

• Take a look at our current roster, what position would we draft that would come in and play more than 50% of the snaps? I don't see any position doing that. However, we have to consider the future past this year. We need a good young Nickel back, future #1 or #2 WR and a speedy back to compliment MBIII.

Comment

• I hope Chris Johnson last until our 2nd rd pick, I wouldnt be upset with him in the 1st at all, but that be great if he lasted until the 2nd...Garrett could get creative in how he used him, as a slot, going in motion, in the backfield, his versatility and speed could be great for our offense.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                      I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                        I hope Chris Johnson last until our 2nd rd pick, I wouldnt be upset with him in the 1st at all, but that be great if he lasted until the 2nd...Garrett could get creative in how he used him, as a slot, going in motion, in the backfield, his versatility and speed could be great for our offense.
                        He won't last until the end of the 2nd round. I think he's gone in the early 2nd round. We'd have to trade up for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by thule View Post
                          So you want to draft a WR...who might not see the field at all and a CB who may only be a nickel back..and could be #4 if we brought in another guy. Looks like your draft could equate into 50% of the snaps as well..so I don't buy your logic here man.
                          Fair enough but a CB is going to play ALOT and we need another WR IMO. Glenn is iffy at best and our offense was stagnant without TO. Now if we go get PacMan a CB might not play alot but we still need one just in case. Do we need a backup RB? Yeah but not in the first for me. To me DMAC is a want not a need. I would love to have him but I'd ratter address other needs with our 2 firsts. That's just me though.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Comment

• Originally posted by Im_a_Romosexual View Post
                            yeah, but Emmitt played ten years ago. The game has Changed

LT was spelled by Turner and Sproles, but while he did carry probably 85%, he didn't carry the entire load ala Emmitt. I'll give you that Westbrook and Jackson carry the load, but the Eagles and Rams are predominantly passing teams and the Eagles drafted Tony Hunt in the third last year and the Rams drafted Brian Leonard in the second. LJ carried the load for two years and I think his body has taken an Extreme amount of punishment and will no longer be able to stay healthy and as productive and will end up like Shaun Alexander (who carried the load) is looked at now days. AD should NEVER carry the load. Sure he's a hell of a player, but he cannot stay healthy. Not even at OU. If you have him carry the load the chances of having him for only a portion of the season are pretty good.

obviously I think its important for a two or even three back rotation because guys are taking punishment and will stay healthier, they are fresh when the defense is tired in the fourth quarter, etc.

The Eagles drafted Tony Hunt in the THIRD, and the the Rams drafter Brian Leonard in the SECOND. They realize that they already have a Pro Bowl back on the roster, and they just need someone to come in and give them a break.

I don't think we should be picking a RB until the third maybe fourth round. In fact I would rather just take a CB with #22 and trade away #28.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crimson79 View Post
                              The Eagles drafted Tony Hunt in the THIRD, and the the Rams drafter Brian Leonard in the SECOND. They realize that they already have a Pro Bowl back on the roster, and they just need someone to come in and give them a break.

I don't think we should be picking a RB until the third maybe fourth round. In fact I would rather just take a CB with #22 and trade away #28.
                              I think the issue with this is that were not in the same position as the Rams & Eagles. Both of those teams had an all world RB. We're in a different position where MBIII is starting to prove himself, but were not sure if he's the man yet.

Comment

• He's da man! He's da man!

(sorry) bob and tom reference here

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information