Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My thinking is that Dallas has a really good team. I am not sure there are that many palyers in the draft that could come in and be an upgrade at most positions.

Mcfadden would be an upgrade compared to julius. He is the perfrect compliment to Barber.

Thule is correct in saying a wr might not see the field. Think about all the wr that have been drafted in the last few years early in the draft. Huge bust potential, and that is on average teams.

We are good enough right now, and have the fire power. Mcfadden would not be a bad person to trade up for.

However, there are so many good rb's this year, we could sit where we are and still get a great rb and a future player. I have no clear-cut opinion on what we should do yet. However, we have several options that could be the right thing to do.
    Last edited by HEISMANHERSCHEL; 03-11-2008, 12:50 PM.
    I published my first book. Available in ebook or paperback! Check it out!!!

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540

Comment

• One last thought-many people are thinking some of these prospects will be gone early. There are always good rb's left in the third and fourth rounds (Barber, for one.) With all the rb's this year, we will have tons of options come second and third round. This is what makes me think not trading for Mcfadden may not happen.

For instance, if we came away with a first round cornerback, desean Jackson and a player like steve slayton in the first two rounds, who could argue with that. I think we would all be excited. Maybe not those exact players, but players in that similar caliber. That would be huge.

However, who would not be gripping their beer a little tighter on opening kickoff in the first game if we were watching Mcfadden lined up to run the kick back????????? I cant make up my mind...
      I published my first book. Available in ebook or paperback! Check it out!!!

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540

Comment

• Originally posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
        One last thought-many people are thinking some of these prospects will be gone early. There are always good rb's left in the third and fourth rounds (Barber, for one.) With all the rb's this year, we will have tons of options come second and third round. This is what makes me think not trading for Mcfadden may not happen.

For instance, if we came away with a first round cornerback, desean Jackson and a player like steve slayton in the first two rounds, who could argue with that. I think we would all be excited. Maybe not those exact players, but players in that similar caliber. That would be huge.

However, who would not be gripping their beer a little tighter on opening kickoff in the first game if we were watching Mcfadden lined up to run the kick back????????? I cant make up my mind...

I like this idea, keep in mind if we trade up for McFadden there will be no first round corner. Desean would fit the bill as far as KO's go.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Comment

• It's historically true that WRs don't contribute early, but that trend has been changing lately. I think there are several guys that could come in and be at least a solid #3 right off the bat.
          In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• IMO we should not trade up, we can pick up a corner or receiver in the 1st and still get a really good running back to compliment barber in the with the other 1st or even in the 2nd round

Comment

• http://www.dallascowboys.com/news.cf...86EAFD357632FA

Texas A&M and Arkansas agree to kick start the rivalry back in 2009 at the new stadium, alternating home and away team each year, should be nice...the Red River Shootout will be moved there in 2010, I cant wait, the market is incredible in Dallas right now.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
              I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• My thinking is that we have enough "ok" prospects at WR, so either you get an elite-level guy that you think has a real shot to be a star in the league, or you don't draft one. We have Austin, Hurd and Stanback all in the pipeline, all with potential to be solid players. What we need is a high-potential, big-time prospect. I don't know that there is one in this draft, but if our scouting department sees one and he is there with one of our 1st rounders, you jump at it. Otherwise, wait a year and see what the draft brings next year, or whether Stanback or Austin can fill that hole for you.

As for RB, I think we can find someone to bring the speed dimension to our team. We shouldn't have to use a 1st, but if our guys think that Felix Jones or someone like him will be a big-time back, then I'm ok with that. What we really need is great players. We can find a solid nickel CB with our 2nd and/or 3rd round picks. We don't need to plug a hole immediately, we need depth and future potential. What we need is the best possible players we can get. I wouldn't mind drafting an ILB, DE/OLB or even a TE if he was going to be a future star. Besides CB, I don't see a single thing that we HAVE to have for next season. We're pretty damn set. We need a few more All-Pro types.
                Originally posted by 21ST
                He was protecting his self
                Originally posted by tjsunstein
                From what? His leg?
                Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
                That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
                "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• Originally posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
                  My thinking is that we have enough "ok" prospects at WR, so either you get an elite-level guy that you think has a real shot to be a star in the league, or you don't draft one. We have Austin, Hurd and Stanback all in the pipeline, all with potential to be solid players. What we need is a high-potential, big-time prospect. I don't know that there is one in this draft, but if our scouting department sees one and he is there with one of our 1st rounders, you jump at it. Otherwise, wait a year and see what the draft brings next year, or whether Stanback or Austin can fill that hole for you.

As for RB, I think we can find someone to bring the speed dimension to our team. We shouldn't have to use a 1st, but if our guys think that Felix Jones or someone like him will be a big-time back, then I'm ok with that. What we really need is great players. We can find a solid nickel CB with our 2nd and/or 3rd round picks. We don't need to plug a hole immediately, we need depth and future potential. What we need is the best possible players we can get. I wouldn't mind drafting an ILB, DE/OLB or even a TE if he was going to be a future star. Besides CB, I don't see a single thing that we HAVE to have for next season. We're pretty damn set. We need a few more All-Pro types.

The problem I have with your comment is that you are rarely going to hit on elite-level guys where we are picking in the draft. You can't have elite guys at every position so need to have those guys that turn out to be good to solid players. There are several WRs in this draft that could come in and play at a good level soon. We need a WR. I think we saw some flaws in our offense when TO got dinged.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Originally posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
                    My thinking is that we have enough "ok" prospects at WR, so either you get an elite-level guy that you think has a real shot to be a star in the league, or you don't draft one. We have Austin, Hurd and Stanback all in the pipeline, all with potential to be solid players. What we need is a high-potential, big-time prospect. I don't know that there is one in this draft, but if our scouting department sees one and he is there with one of our 1st rounders, you jump at it. Otherwise, wait a year and see what the draft brings next year, or whether Stanback or Austin can fill that hole for you.

The reason that Nickel CB cannot be adressed outside of the first is that they are essentially starters now.

Many nickel corners played over 50% of their teams defensive snaps last year. They are becoming more important than the extra linebacker.

I believe that your 3rd corner must be just as good as your "Starters" because he basically is starting.

We got burned enough times last year to know this is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Macarthur
                      The problem I have with your comment is that you are rarely going to hit on elite-level guys where we are picking in the draft. You can't have elite guys at every position so need to have those guys that turn out to be good to solid players. There are several WRs in this draft that could come in and play at a good level soon. We need a WR. I think we saw some flaws in our offense when TO got dinged.
                      If you draft a WR... That means you are taking reps away from Stanback and Austin(and Hurd)... Is there anyone in the draft at the reciever position who will be better then what Stanbeck will be this coming year?(remember he will be a further offseason along in his development so we expect to see some impact from him this year)

WR is not that high a priority IMO. Not unless we can trade for a WR already in the league who is a star(Fitzgerald, Roy... whatever) Remember also that Terry Glenn was injured ALL of last season and we operated pretty damn well with Crayton, TO and Witten out there. This year Glenn should be back. Crayton will be a year better, while TO and Witten will again be there all domineering selves.

We got put in a bad situation last year because TO went down with an injury but thats not something which will occur every three weeks.

At the moment... Like someone already said. We shouldnt draft WR unless its BPA. There are a few other more pressing needs AND there are a few other positions where more of an impact could be made.

Comment

• Speaking of Crayton...I just read a story on him. He's extremely motivated this season after his playoff melt down. He has already begun training a few weeks earlier than the rest. He's going to get better...that's a given. He got a full year of starting under his belt and now he should be ready to take everything to the next level. He's out to prove that he can be a great starter. It's nice to see him taking things seriously...last year his mouth was flapping a little too much. Time for him to get to work and back things up a bit.
                        Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 03-12-2008, 06:00 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                        http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                        KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by shane_man View Post
                          If you draft a WR... That means you are taking reps away from Stanback and Austin(and Hurd)... Is there anyone in the draft at the reciever position who will be better then what Stanbeck will be this coming year?(remember he will be a further offseason along in his development so we expect to see some impact from him this year)
                          I like Hurd, but Austin showed nothing when he had the opportunity. STanback has potential, but are you willing to hang your hat on that? He has proven nothing.

I think there are several guys that we can get that can come in and be at least as good as Hurd and significantly better than Austin. Man, it's not always the case, but there is a reason these guys were undrafted FA.

WR is not that high a priority IMO. Not unless we can trade for a WR already in the league who is a star(Fitzgerald, Roy... whatever) Remember also that Terry Glenn was injured ALL of last season and we operated pretty damn well with Crayton, TO and Witten out there. This year Glenn should be back. Crayton will be a year better, while TO and Witten will again be there all domineering selves.
                          I could not disagree more. I do not think we should expect anything from Glenn. If he plays, that's great, but that is extremely risky to assume he will be the Glenn we are used to seeing.

You are forgetting that all of this is predicated on TO remaining healthy. We saw what happened when TO got dinged, and don't forget he is getting older.

I'm really surprised that you do not think WR is a priority.

At the moment... Like someone already said. We shouldnt draft WR unless its BPA. There are a few other more pressing needs AND there are a few other positions where more of an impact could be made.
                          Well, CB is certainly a bigger need, IMO. RB is a need because of numbers, but I would put WR right at RB or only slightly behind. I would rate WR ahead of RB in the draft because generally you can get production from the RB position in the middle of the draft. That's not always the case with WR.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Team needs IMO

#1. CB
                            #2. RB
                            #3. WR/OT

I think it's a no-brainer that we take one of the top 3 cb's if one of them happens to fall to us at 22. Better yet, we should trade up to
                            be able to grab one of those before they all get gobbled up. Two of them
                            might go in the top 10 so we might find ourselves praying everyone else passes. So now, my ideal goal would be to trade up to get the 3rd cb that drops out of the top 14 picks.
                            If we give up both our firsts, so be it. There probably wasn't going to be a whole lot of value down there anyway.
                            Maybe we can pick up a 2nd in our move up, so we could have more value
                            in the 2nd round to grab a RB and a WR or OT.

To say that WR isn't a need is a bit of a stretch.
                            I'd be very surprised if Terry Glenn is even on the team come kick off.
                            He's making too much money to be having knee surgeries every 3 months.
                            T.O is gonna play at a high level for about 2 more years, and then i expect
                            the downslide in production. Crayton is a very good WR, but i wouldnt expect him to produce a whole lot without having someone be double teamed (like t.o and witten were this year).
                            To think that Stanback is ready to produce this year is an even bigger stretch. He battled foot injuries all of last year, and he just began to learn the WR position. If rookies come in and take 2 years to produce, what can you expect from an injured player who has never played WR?

Comment

• Originally posted by Macarthur
                              I like Hurd, but Austin showed nothing when he had the opportunity. STanback has potential, but are you willing to hang your hat on that? He has proven nothing.

I think there are several guys that we can get that can come in and be at least as good as Hurd and significantly better than Austin. Man, it's not always the case, but there is a reason these guys were undrafted FA.
                              Hurd and Austin went undrafted but we already acknowledge that Hurd has a spot on this roster. Stanback was a 3-4 round selection with a bunch of physical skills who was never going to contribute a whole lot in his first season. But he will have had a full year and a bit to digest the playbook and more specifically the position he is asked to play. He has two fantastic teachers in Owen's and Glenn(and even Crayton if you think about it)... I expect him to make an impact this year along the goalline and in four man sets(assuming Glenn is fit.)

Im not willing to hang my hat on him... But I honestly dont think we NEED to hang our hat on him. We operated very well last year with Glenn out all season. Even if he returns just to put another body on the field. Teams are gonna get ****** over trying to cover him and TO... and will leave Witten or Crayton open(or even Barber)...

WR does become more of a need if Glenn cannot play. But thats a need NOW as opposed to a need down the road. Hence why I think if Glenn cant come back we should be looking at trades rather then drafting. Because we will need a player to come in THIS year and be good rather then worrying about two or three years down the track.

I could not disagree more. I do not think we should expect anything from Glenn. If he plays, that's great, but that is extremely risky to assume he will be the Glenn we are used to seeing.

You are forgetting that all of this is predicated on TO remaining healthy. We saw what happened when TO got dinged, and don't forget he is getting older.

I'm really surprised that you do not think WR is a priority.
                              Well twice now we have watched TO get injured late in a season and the first time he bounced back with an MVP performance in a Superbowl and strong numbers the following year. So Im not much worried by TO in terms of his fitness. You make a fair point about Glenn. But if the Cowboys were willing to keep him on the roster all of last year. If he wasnt among the cuts that have been made so far... If he's continuing to work as if he will be right to go when the season starts this year. I have to assume he will be fit to go. At which point. I personally dont think WR is That HIGH of a priority. I dont deny that we will have to look there eventually. But I want to see Stanback get the opportunity when Glenn retires. At which point we draft another WR to replace TO down the line.

Its all about making what we have currently work. We have the players in place right now for the future and for now. To add extra parts to that will take reps away from the near future(because I honestly think Stanback will impact this year) in favour of a year or two into the future.(which we shouldnt really be looking at while on the verge of major Superbowl success)

Well, CB is certainly a bigger need, IMO. RB is a need because of numbers, but I would put WR right at RB or only slightly behind. I would rate WR ahead of RB in the draft because generally you can get production from the RB position in the middle of the draft. That's not always the case with WR.
                              I still have a big unit of a NT as a bigger priority. RB is a definate need(though I still think a better option is through Free Agency but all those options have dried up)... CB is a blatant concern(and will probably be 3 or 4 picks in this draft)... After that its a matter of picking players to help out on special teams. Whether that is LB's or WR's or whatever.

I honestly at this point dont think WR is a MASSIVE need. Its something we should look at down the line. But not something we need this year as it would threaten the WR's on the roster's development.

Comment

• Honestly, two years from now i KNOW i wont see terry glenn on the field, and i'm not sure t.o will be there either. Patrick Crayton is never gonna be a number 1 receiver, neither is Stanback or Hurd. Hurd will always be a solid #3 at best, or a very crayton-esque number two. None of those guys are exactly burners imo, and for one to be the first option at WR for a team, you need to have size, hands and speed. We might bump into one of those in the draft, but honestly i would prefer to trade for a proven guy, but it takes two to tango.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information