This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Staubach12 View Post
    That actually makes me feel a bit better about WR. Nice find.
    I agree, very good find. I feel much better and maybe we can hold of on WR until... round 3?

Comment

• What I loved about Stanback this past season was he showed me flashes of potential, and thats all you can really ask for with a young developing guy...He still has alot to learn, but you could see his speed and athleticism he just needs to get the mental side down so its all natural...Besides that he's a converted qb, hes not going to make a huge impact right off the bat anyway, but im excited about him getting some reps this year, ill keep a close eye on him in pre season games.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
      I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• After reading the dallascowboys.com articles on inside and outside linebackers, I thought I'd diagram our base defense and nickel fronts to see if we could fit all 5 inside linebackers into the lineup...backups are listed in parentheses. I've inserted dashes to try to maintain the sense of shape in the defense.

3-4
        ------Spears (Hatcher)---Ratliff (Johnson)---Canty (Bowen)

Ellis (Carp)--James (Carp/Burnett)--Ayodele (Thomas/Burnett)--Ware (Spencer)

Nickel
        Spencer (Carp)--Hatcher (Bowen)--Ellis (Canty)--Ware (Ayodele)
        ----------Thomas (Williams/Carp)----Burnett (Wiliams/Ayodele)

If we assume that the nickel unit and base defense each play 50% of the defensive snaps and that the backups rotate in 1 out of every 3 series on the line in the base defense and 1 out of ever 4 for the linebackers, here is how playing time would break down:

Hamlin, Newman, Henry: 100%
        Ware: 87.5%
        Ellis: 87.5% (Assume a little less since Ellis will tire more quickly playing tackle on the nickel)
        Hatcher: 66.67% (also assume less since he will be subbed more on the nickel)
        Spencer: 62.5%
        Burnett: 62.5%
        Thomas: 56.25%
        Williams: 50%
        James: 37.5%
        Ayodele: 37.5%
        Spears: 33%
        Ratliff: 33%
        Canty: 33% (assume more time as primary nickel tackle sub)
        Carpenter: 18.75%
        Bowen: 16.67%
        Johnson: 16.67%

How does this break down? Well, personally, I'd like to see Canty getting more time and Ratliff less--perhaps they'd split reps on the nickel. And for a first round pick, I'd like to see Carpenter get more time, but this setup really showcases his versatility, as he is a top backup for 4 different positions. Obviously the percentage breakdowns are completely subjective and not truly trustworthy.

Comment

• Anyone else thinking about this Chad Johnson situation...just another rumor...but can't help to think that it would be awesome to have him.

Comment

• Originally posted by thule View Post
            Anyone else thinking about this Chad Johnson situation...just another rumor...but can't help to think that it would be awesome to have him.
            Yeah, I posted it in the NFL forum in that Chad thread. I love it. Just love it.

There's no doubt in my mind that we don't do something with our first rounders.

...now Jerry does want to add that "wow" player on offense. 1 + 1 = 2?

Comment

• I'd like to have money, but can we really afford him?

BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by JJJ888 View Post
                After reading the dallascowboys.com articles on inside and outside linebackers, I thought I'd diagram our base defense and nickel fronts to see if we could fit all 5 inside linebackers into the lineup...backups are listed in parentheses. I've inserted dashes to try to maintain the sense of shape in the defense.

3-4
                ------Spears (Hatcher)---Ratliff (Johnson)---Canty (Bowen)

Ellis (Carp)--James (Carp/Burnett)--Ayodele (Thomas/Burnett)--Ware (Spencer)

Nickel
                Spencer (Carp)--Hatcher (Bowen)--Ellis (Canty)--Ware (Ayodele)
                ----------Thomas (Williams/Carp)----Burnett (Wiliams/Ayodele)

If we assume that the nickel unit and base defense each play 50% of the defensive snaps and that the backups rotate in 1 out of every 3 series on the line in the base defense and 1 out of ever 4 for the linebackers, here is how playing time would break down:

Hamlin, Newman, Henry: 100%
                Ware: 87.5%
                Ellis: 87.5% (Assume a little less since Ellis will tire more quickly playing tackle on the nickel)
                Hatcher: 66.67% (also assume less since he will be subbed more on the nickel)
                Spencer: 62.5%
                Burnett: 62.5%
                Thomas: 56.25%
                Williams: 50%
                James: 37.5%
                Ayodele: 37.5%
                Spears: 33%
                Ratliff: 33%
                Canty: 33% (assume more time as primary nickel tackle sub)
                Carpenter: 18.75%
                Bowen: 16.67%
                Johnson: 16.67%

How does this break down? Well, personally, I'd like to see Canty getting more time and Ratliff less--perhaps they'd split reps on the nickel. And for a first round pick, I'd like to see Carpenter get more time, but this setup really showcases his versatility, as he is a top backup for 4 different positions. Obviously the percentage breakdowns are completely subjective and not truly trustworthy.
                D ware just did an interview where he said he is fine playing 100% of the downs in Wade's Scheme. He said he couldn't do it in Parcells scheme but that he can in Wades. He also mentioned that he is stronger and faster this year than he was last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by thule View Post
                  Anyone else thinking about this Chad Johnson situation...just another rumor...but can't help to think that it would be awesome to have him.
                  I'd sure love to have him, but you can only put
                  so much money in one position. T.O, Glenn, Crayton..
                  and then add chad johnson?

i dont know.. i don't see how you don't offer a 1st for
                  a potential shut-down corner who is only 24, and do it for
                  a stud wr who is already turning 30.

Comment

• http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.cff476d.html

Source: Dallas Cowboys, Titans have talked about trade for Pacman Jones

The Dallas Cowboys have held preliminary discussions with the Tennessee Titans about trading for suspended cornerback Pacman Jones, according to a source. The trade could revolve around Dallas giving up a late-round draft pick.

Comment

• PACMAN

He would be an immediate upgrade at corner. Pacman brings too much baggage. He is one incident away from being banned for a very long time! Also, signing him may cause us to lose out $$$ to resigning Burnett, Newman, or Ware. I would love to get a veteran CB with his ability. I really think we can wait till a vet with less baggage become available.

Comment

• Originally posted by ricowboy View Post
                        He would be an immediate upgrade at corner. Pacman brings too much baggage. He is one incident away from being banned for a very long time! Also, signing him may cause us to lose out $$$ to resigning Burnett, Newman, or Ware. I would love to get a veteran CB with his ability. I really think we can wait till a vet with less baggage become available.
                        Unless he gets released or restructures, he's bringing
                        his rookie contract with him, which we account nothing on the
                        signing bonus, basically just his salary, so it shouldnt be too much..
                        plus it should have about 2 years left

Comment

• Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
                          D ware just did an interview where he said he is fine playing 100% of the downs in Wade's Scheme. He said he couldn't do it in Parcells scheme but that he can in Wades. He also mentioned that he is stronger and faster this year than he was last year.
                          I'm 100% against Ware playing every snap. He was completely useless to us by the end of games last season. He was gassed and took a lot of plays off. He needs someone to relieve him, here and there. Another OLB should be added in the later rounds, imo.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                          http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                          KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                            I'm 100% against Ware playing every snap. He was completely useless to us by the end of games last season. He was gassed and took a lot of plays off. He needs someone to relieve him, here and there. Another OLB should be added in the later rounds, imo.
                            I don't think depth is the problem there.

Comment

• I want this to happen VERY badly! I'll be the happiest man here!

Comment

• Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
                                I don't think depth is the problem there.
                                It never hurts to have another Pass Rusher...Justin Rogers pretty much offers nothing but a ST body. Adding a Marcus Howard or a Curtis Johnson could do wonders for our defense.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                                http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                                KO KNOWS

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information