Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I suggest everyone follows the link provided by PocketAces in the Roy Thread to read his Q&A...

Basically saying he isn't going to big hit people anymore?!?! Than WTF is he on the team for? Thats all he can do!

It's time to start the Pat Watkins Revolution

Comment

• Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
      I suggest everyone follows the link provided by PocketAces in the Roy Thread to read his Q&A...

Basically saying he isn't going to big hit people anymore?!?! Than WTF is he on the team for? Thats all he can do!

It's time to start the Pat Watkins Revolution
      I think he's gonna try to play smarter and not always look for the killshot. On another note, I hope Campo whips him back into shape physically and mentally.

Comment

• There is some good stuff over at the blog and DC.com.

random notes...

Sounds like Sam Hurd was widely considered to be a shining star in today's practice. He was noted as to "torching" both Henry and Pacman on several occassions. God, I cant wait for pre season to get here, all we've been hearing is how much Sam is getting outstanding seperation these days. Henry is no burner but, he was struggling trying to chase Sam all over the field.

Jay Ratliff was taking some reps at DE. Still saw the bulk of his time at NT but, Wade said, it's a nice luxury to have. He doesnt think he'll be making a full time move because, of how well he did last season at the position...but, he should see a little time there this season.

Terry Glenn is still super pissed and may want to be released. It doesnt seem as though JJ has any intention of releasing him, though...So, Terry is still super pissed. Terry said, he had his knee checked out by an Ohio doctor and he is ready to go. JJ remains stubborn on the situation, though.
        Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 06-17-2008, 07:43 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
        http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
        KO KNOWS

Comment

• Yea I was pumped when I read the news about Ratliff and Hurd, both are great to hear, I think all of us want Ratliff to take some snaps at DE even if its part time, if Tank gets the scheme under his belt and can step up his play that gives us that option...Hurd is going to be a stud I can just see it, he doesn't get more hype because he wasn't a 2nd rd pick, but thats ok, I'm picking him up in all my fantasy/dynasty leagues and will have the last laugh :)

Also wanted to post these tidbits from the practice courtesy of dmn blog:

*Martellus Bennett, the second-round pick who had a rough time in OTAs, is still the No. 3 TE. He had a strong finish to the two-minute drill at the end of practice. Bennett caught a 20-plus-yard pass on a seam route and had a 10-yard TD catch when he got open across the middle. Anybody want to guess which safety was covering Bennett on the TD?

*Bennett couldn't get off a jam by Anthony Henry earlier in the practice. Can't recall the last time I saw a cornerback line up directly across from a down TE and rough him up at the line of scrimmage, but it gives you an idea of the potential Henry has playing inside in the Cowboys' defensive sub packages. "Just to put him in there and play tight end man-to-man, even on the Wittens of the world, he's pretty strong," Wade Phillips said this afternoon about Henry.

*Interesting wrinkle with Felix Jones: Lining him up in the slot with no backs behind Tony Romo and motioning him into the backfield.

*CB Orlando Scandrick, a fifth-round pick, had a sweet pick of a Tony Romo pass. Scandrick dropped back into his zone and made a leaping catch of an out route intended for Jason Witten. It probably would have been a TD.

*Undrafted free agent WR Danny Amendola had an amazing one-handed catch of a ball behind him on an intermediate crossing route. That made up for dropping a ball that hit him in the numbers minutes earlier. Both of those plays came against air early in practice.

Good stuff about Felix, he is use to that type of stuff from Arkansas, Garrett loves creativity, I say use it to our advantage as much as possible...Scandrick making plays is very promising, he is buried right now which is good for his development, he has elite speed to work with, and can learn from some very good corners before we expect him to contribute much...Also love how they are lining up Henry over the TE's, excited about that new wrinkle and think it will work very well.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
          I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• More news from the first 2 days of mini-camp...These via ft worth star telegram:

Day 1
            * The good: WR Sam Hurd put a nice inside move on CB Pacman Jones during one-on-one drills to seperate and beat Pacman to the outside for a catch. ... WR Danny Amendola left CB Quincy Butler behind on one drills showing impressive quickness.

* The bad: Tough morning for some of the young WRs, also known as guys that can't afford many dropped passes. Mike Jefferson dropped a pass and was yelled at by receivers coach Ray Sherman. The drop bug also hit undrafted free agent Daniel Polk. Isaiah Stanback, who has been making good strides, also had a pass go right through his hands.

* Practice resumes at 3 p.m. and will conclude at 4:45 p.m.

* WR Patrick Crayton said he was tired of hearing ''OTAs''..."Let's get rid of that word OTA. Just say the fifth week of mini-camp.'' He said he has also been impressed with Pacman because he has been able to pick things up quickly in short time.

More from Day 1
            * First, the biggest thing noticed...Cowboys sponsers attended practice and we saw a first -- a mini-bar had been set up in the corner of the indoor facility for all to enjoy. There were two margarita machines. If only Bill Parcells could have seen this.

* Rookie CB Orlando Scandrick intercepted quarterback Tony Romo with his big moment since he arrived.

* Bye-bye: NT Jay Ratliff blew past center Andre Gurode in one-on-one line drills. Ratliff may be even quicker than last year off the line.

* We saw it: DE Marcus Spears whipped his way past big Leonard Davis to get into the backfield in the one-on-one line drills.

* We saw it II: LB Bradie James with blanket pass coverage on rookie RB Felix Jones. Jones dropped a little swing pass that was thrown behind him and James was all over the play.

* Felix Jones can hit he to the outside with lightning quickness.

* CB Terence Newman never misses a beat. He intercepted Brad Johnson on a pass intended for Isaiah Stanback.

* WR Sam Hurd was making plays all day -- morning and afternoon. Last week Miles Austin, this week Sam Hurd. That's why Wade Phillips feels OK about his WR depth.

* How about that? Rookie TE Martellus Bennett made a impressive diving catch from Brad Johnson in the end zone to beat SS Roy Williams during the two-minute drill. We know what you are thinking.

* WR Patrick Crayton beat tight coverage from CB Orlando Scandrick for a TD during the two-minute drill. Scandrick popped the ball loose just barely after Crayton reached the front corner of the end zone. Crayton was confident he made the play saying, ''That's a touchdown, don't worry about that.''

Day 2 report
            * CB Pacman Jones was running some with the first-team defense during team drills. He was on the field opposite Pro Bowl CB Terence Newman.

* WR Miles Austin continues to show off good hands, ones that haven't always been so reliable.

* Not good: LB Bradie James put a clothsline hit on wide receiver Patrick Crayton knocking him to the ground near the sidelines during team drills.

* Showing signs: LB Bobby Carpenter continues to make plays on the field. He came up with an impressive break up in the middle of the field on a pass intended for TE Martellus Bennett.

* Rookie WR Joe West made a nice catch beating Pacman Jones on a pass from Richard Bartel.

* Kick returners: Pacman Jones, Miles Austin, Danny Amendola, Felix Jones.

* Bad hands: Rookie RB Tashard Choice had a rough morning on special teams. As part of the hands team on kickoff return he dropped two kicks that went right through his hands. He jumped for one and the other squirted through his hands.

* Good hands: CB Jerron Wishom had an interception for a would-be touchdown on a tipped pass off the hands of Martellus Bennett.

* Bradie the coverage man: Bradie James has been all over the field with tight coverage on the tight ends. Today, he was all over Jason Witten and Martellus Bennett.

* Drop alert: RBs Felix Jones and Alonzo Coleman on screens.

* Practice visitor: Southlake Carroll Dragons head coach Hal Wasson got a chance to visit the morning practice and check out the facility. Some of his assistants will attend during the afternoon.

Some pretty interesting stuff, just gives you an idea of some things to look forward to...The Carpenter news has been more encouraging then the WR news, If we can salvage something out of Carp's career I'll be doing backflips :) Well, maybe not that excited, but that gives us options at ILB to do what we feel is the right move.

I also like the positive news about Scandrick, he has elite speed to work with, if he hones his coverage skills faster then what we are expecting Henry just might see more time at safety, but I won't get ahead of myself...I'm just noticing the guys making plays, then I'll see if that transfers during some of our pre-season games, but this news gets me excited for the season:D
            Last edited by LonghornsLegend; 06-19-2008, 03:20 AM.

Comment

• Hurd is apparently excelling as a deep threat right now. Something he always struggled with in college. He is consistantly burning our corners, this includes the speedy Pacman, Oh I'm sorry...Adam :) and that T-New guy on the other side. We have even been trying to incorporate a fake reverse, WR pass w/ Crayton throwing it. We tried it once yesterday, Hurd burned Adam and Crayton threw the ball 65 yards down field, narrowly over throwing him by a yard. Hurd has really taken his game to the next level and it seems as though, Garrett is doing just that as well, with some of the playcalling we've been hearing about. This is going to be a fun year.

Oh yeah, I dont know what exactly was told to Hurd...but, whenever he speaks, he is always talking about how he is going for that #2 spot this year. I dont know if someone told him that the starting job is up for grabs but, he certainly has his eyes on it...and Crayton's reps have been coming in the slot once again. Hurd has played every WR position so, anything is possible.
              Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 06-19-2008, 05:05 AM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• We cut Joe West, Brandon Hale, Alain Karatepeyan, Justin Phinisee (i'll miss your hair dude), and Jerron Wishom.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• Story on Stanback: http://www.star-telegram.com/281/story/708447.html

Comment

• Maybe after the first update, Sam Hurd will finally get some love in Madden

Comment

• I just hope his picture is in the game this year. I hate that crap. They didnt even have Austin or Stanback's last year, either.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• I am positive Austin's pic is in Madden 08, but not Stanback(I don't remember)

Comment

• Originally posted by Im_a_Romosexual View Post
                          I am positive Austin's pic is in Madden 08, but not Stanback(IDK)
                          Now that I think of it, I think you're right. Hurd's and Stanback's def. arent, though.
                          Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 06-19-2008, 02:30 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                            I just hope his picture is in the game this year. I hate that crap. They didnt even have Austin or Stanback's last year, either.
                            Yeah, it's pretty lame that half of the players on madden don't have a picture. It makes me feel like they're freshly off the "create-a-player" mode..

Comment

• Found this tidbit per dmn, NFL executive had some positive things to say about Stanback and his opinion is from an outsider so encouraging to hear:

Mike Lombardi, who spent the last 20 years as an NFL executive and worked for Denver last year, got a good look at the Cowboys' personnel when the Broncos were at Valley Ranch in August. Lombardi, who has joined the liberal media, gushed about Isaiah Stanback on his blog.

"One player that caught my eye was Isaiah Stanback, the former quarterback/wide receiver from Washington. Stanback was trying to overcome his foot injury and make the transition from quarterback to wide receiver. He started practicing the first day we arrived and he showed very good size, power and explosion. He may not know what to do, but once he gets comfortable with the offense and the routes, he looks like a player that will be good with the ball in his hands and gain yards after the catch. He has athletic skills and excellent eye hand coordination. The Cowboys have wide outs that contribute to the kicking game they all show toughness and can run with the ball after the catch--which is critical. I hear everyone complaining about their wide receivers, but based on my evaluation, they have a very good blend of youth and age. If Stanback shows the skills this pre-season that I noticed on the field last summer, he will contribute to the team in 08.

I won't rule out Stanback contributing to the Cowboys this season, but he has a lot of work to do before that happens. He's a tier below third-year receivers Sam Hurd and Miles Austin on the depth chart."

Wade Phillips said the other day that Stanback is where Hurd and Austin were last year in terms of development.

"He shows flashes," Phillips said. "He makes some plays and you say, 'Wow.' Then every once in awhile, he doesn't run a route exactly the way you want it. But he's coming along well."

Sounds like he is just still raw right now, but once he gets everything slowing down for him he sounds like he could be a serious weapon for us, nice to see an outsider give some praise to our WR core.

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                                Hurd is apparently excelling as a deep threat right now. Something he always struggled with in college. He is consistantly burning our corners, this includes the speedy Pacman, Oh I'm sorry...Adam :) and that T-New guy on the other side. We have even been trying to incorporate a fake reverse, WR pass w/ Crayton throwing it. We tried it once yesterday, Hurd burned Adam and Crayton threw the ball 65 yards down field, narrowly over throwing him by a yard. Hurd has really taken his game to the next level and it seems as though, Garrett is doing just that as well, with some of the playcalling we've been hearing about. This is going to be a fun year.

Oh yeah, I dont know what exactly was told to Hurd...but, whenever he speaks, he is always talking about how he is going for that #2 spot this year. I dont know if someone told him that the starting job is up for grabs but, he certainly has his eyes on it...and Crayton's reps have been coming in the slot once again. Hurd has played every WR position so, anything is possible.
                                It's about DAMN time! I've been waiting for Crayton to use his arm throwing the ball since we drafted him as a rookie. Sheesh. Hopefully Stanback can take some of those reps too. We'll be attacking from every angle possible. Love that news.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information