This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now here's some interesting news, per rotoworld:

Cowboys DE Marcus Spears says he is willing to play nose tackle full time if the team decides to use Jay Ratliff at end.
    Spears isn't exactly Jamal Williams at 6'4/298, but could combine with Tank Johnson to form a highly athletic rotation. Spears hasn't been productive at end and the added versatility would help with his rookie deal winding down
    http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/ar...ter-spots.html

3. Defensive end. Chris Canty is the starter on one side. But will the other starter, Marcus Spears could get pushed by Jason Hatcher. Spears saw some time at nose guard late in the season and said he's not opposed to playing there full-time as long as it helps the team. Jay Ratliff, a natural at end, is currently the starting nose guard. But will the team move him to end over Spears and start Tank Johnson at nose?

Have to admit this isn't what I would expect to hear from Spears, but he also knows that his time here is looming so being a team player is the right direction to take...Looks like Hatcher might see more time at end along with Ratliff, I love these ideas...Getting a pass rush from our D-line makes it alot easier to get pressure on the QB when the blitz is called...We have a nice rotation at the least right now that should keep guys fresh.

Ratliff - Spears - Tank - Canty

That's not a bad D-line in passing formations, then we can slide Ratliff inside for Spears to get Hatcher more time outside as well....From what I've been reading Jason Hatcher and Courtney Brown were DMN's two sleepers/breakthrough players so definately keep an eye on both guys.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Hmmm... interesting. I could see Spears and Tank splitting time at NT.

Also, per rotoworld:

Schefter says Horn has become "plan 1A" for Dallas if Terry Glenn doesn't sign his injury waiver and the Cowboys could send Atlanta a late-round pick. There's a pretty good chance that Horn won't make the Falcons, but the Cowboys are ready to win now and would probably part with the pick to get him in their offense as soon as possible.
      I don't like it. Horn is... meh. He was good a few years back, but now, I think the only thing he would do is stifle the development of Hurd and/or Austin.

BoneKrusher

Comment

• When I read that the 1st thing I thought was it was juts Schefter throwing out name in the hat like always for a story...He's not as bad as Mortenson, but Schefter thinks were "big players" in every big name that becomes halfway available, I wouldn't mind Horn but he would only come if we don't bring back Glenn, and even then we might want to give Austin those reps...I just don't think its something we even strongly considered.

Comment

• Adam Schefter is a Cowboys homer who has been trying his hardest to get us a receiver for the last two years. I dont believe anything he says when it comes to him and the Cowboys. He always seems like he is trying to sway JJ to do this or that. I remember when he kept bashing us for not taking Manningham in the 1st round. ugh. He was talking him up for weeks and said he was a lock to go to Dallas. umm yeah. Schefter annoys the hell out of me. lol.
          Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 06-27-2008, 12:11 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
          http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
          KO KNOWS

Comment

• I'm liking the Marcus Spears news. Always great to hear a player come out and say that he'd play a different position or take on a different task for the better of the team. Obviously, like some of you have already mentioned, it might have something to do with his soon expiring contract. If he plays admirably at the nose, allowing Ratliff to be the productive player he can be at end, i can see us offering him a half decent deal.

He's close to home here in Texas, so I don't understand why he would want to leave elsewhere. Maybe to Houston, but I doubt many other teams will be throwing big money at him.

As for the Joe Horn stuff, man, just let him go to another team in the NFC South that wants him. We have plenty of WR's that can use the time and practice, we don't need another washed up, slow WR to further clog the log jam we have at WR anyway.

Comment

• Just say NO to Joe Horn...he's washed up and needs to retire!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
                I'm liking the Marcus Spears news. Always great to hear a player come out and say that he'd play a different position or take on a different task for the better of the team. Obviously, like some of you have already mentioned, it might have something to do with his soon expiring contract. If he plays admirably at the nose, allowing Ratliff to be the productive player he can be at end, i can see us offering him a half decent deal.

He's close to home here in Texas, so I don't understand why he would want to leave elsewhere. Maybe to Houston, but I doubt many other teams will be throwing big money at him.

As for the Joe Horn stuff, man, just let him go to another team in the NFC South that wants him. We have plenty of WR's that can use the time and practice, we don't need another washed up, slow WR to further clog the log jam we have at WR anyway.

Agree on the Spears contract aspect, if he moves to Nose and plays serviceable, and is only looking for a halfway decent deal I could see us extend him...I think we would welcome him back as he has been healthy and good against the run, and if he wants to be a Cowboy and not expect a ridiculous contract he certainly could be back.

And that Horn stuff is quite hilarious, I mean, remember we would have to trade a pick for him, for one season? How much did he help ATL last year? He is injury prone too, what sense would it make to go from one injured old WR to another except we give up a pick for this guy? We would rather pay Glenn his whole contract and work with what we can get.

If not Koren Robinson makes alot more sense then Horn does.

Comment

• I'll pass on both Horn and Robinson. They may have some experience on our young guys, but I'd much rather see what Hurd and company can do.

Comment

• wouldn't mind Spears in the middle, with this system, at all. Best run stopper on the line.

Comment

• Originally posted by fryman View Post
                      wouldn't mind Spears in the middle, with this system, at all. Best run stopper on the line.
                      Been hoping for news like that for what seems like forever. Glad it took Spears himself to come up with a brilliant idea such as that.

Comment

• Last season I watch HBO's show Hard Knocks, which basically followed KC throughout training camp and pre season. It was a pretty good show and I was wondering if they were going to do another season this year.

Turns out they are, and it will be with the Dallas Cowboys.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...d-knocks_N.htm

Any of you guys watch this last year? I thought it was pretty interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexDown View Post
                          Last season I watch HBO's show Hard Knocks, which basically followed KC throughout training camp and pre season. It was a pretty good show and I was wondering if they were going to do another season this year.

Turns out they are, and it will be with the Dallas Cowboys.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...d-knocks_N.htm

Any of you guys watch this last year? I thought it was pretty interesting.
                          This is old news...and Hard Knocks has been running for awhile...hell dallas has been on hard knocks before...back when we were terrible.

Comment

• hmmm....

Seems like everyone on here owes Rob an apology...

I remember everyone on here, and I mean EVERYONE telling Rob "This isn't madden, you can't move Henry to FS, Roy to LB, and Spears to NT"

Roy to LB has already happened in some packages and the other 2 are about to come to fruition.

Comment

• Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
                              hmmm....

I remember everyone on here, and I mean EVERYONE telling Rob "This isn't madden, you can't move Henry to FS, Roy to LB, and Spears to NT"

Roy to LB has already happened in some packages and the other 2 are about to come to fruition.
                              Rob was calling for the switch to NT in Parcell's scheme. How is that even comparable to the current situation? Same applies to Roy playing in the box, but a full-time switch to LB is still a bad idea. Henry to FS is still a risk that is not needed.

Have people still not caught on that they are pretty much running a modified 46? I thought we went over that plenty when Wade was hired.

Comment

• Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
                                hmmm....

Funny how that happened.

Also funny how obsessed the DMN is with Roy WIllie's play at SS.

But yeah, I told you so.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information