This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
    Spears has been having a great camp...and Ratliff hasnt seen much time at End at all...and he is constantly commanding double teams at the nose. I think Spears job is pretty safe and I cant see Ratliff making a full time move to End...he's just too good of a NT. Spears/Hatcher are good in their rotational roles and I think it's going to stay that way for this upcoming season, atleast.

edit...Also, Grantham has taken Spears under his wing and has been working w/ him exclusively after practices. Grantham is known for his little pet projects and he has chosenn Spears to be that next project.
    Who has Grantham changed in the past? I'm not familiar with him or any D-line guys he's worked with.

Comment

• Spears is actually very important to our team. Hatcher is no where near as good a run stuffer...and having two undersized nose tackles, we're going to need that size and ability out there. Most experts, think our team is still going to have trouble stopping the run and that is with Spears manning the end spot...w/ out him, we could be in for some rough games. He'll most likely still play the 1st two downs or running downs and then give way to Hatcher. Yes, he could see less snaps with Ratliff or maybe even Tank taking away some reps at the end position but, Spears is very much in the plans and an important asset to this team.

Also, I added this to my previous post...Grantham has taken Spears under his wing and is working w/ him and him alone after every practice. He's known for his pet projects and getting the best out of his lineman...he has chosen Spears to be his next project. Yes, Marcus is very much in the plans and isnt about to be phased out completely.
      Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 07-29-2008, 04:47 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
      http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
      KO KNOWS

Comment

Spears is actually very important to our team. Hatcher is no where near as good a run stuffer...and having two undersized nose tackles, we're going to need that size and ability out there. Most experts, think our team is still going to have trouble stopping the run and that is with Spears manning the end spot...w/ out him, we could be in for some rough games. He'll most likely still play the 1st two downs or running downs and then give way to Hatcher. Yes, he could see less snaps with Ratliff or maybe even Tank taking away some reps at the end position but, Spears is very much in the plans and an important asset to this team.

Also, I added this to my previous post...Grantham has taken Spears under his wing and is working w/ him and him alone after every practice. He's known for his pet projects and getting the best out of his lineman...he has chosen Spears to be his next project. Yes, Marcus is very much in the plans and isnt about to be phased out.
        Yeah I caught that, I was curious as to whether or not you know of anyone specific that Grantham has been especially effective with.

Just because they take on a project doesn't mean we can expect change. Campo is working extra with RW, but I don't think it's going to help or change anything.

I just don't see why everyone thinks Spears is good against the run either. It's like just because he can't rush the passer, we create some trait for him so he can be good at something. Is he adequate? Yeah, sure, he's serviceable at the position. Is he good? Meaning is he better than the average 3-4 DE? No, I don't think he's any better than average. In fact, Look at Igor Olshansky if you want to see a 3-4 DE who is GOOD against the run.

Comment

• Bobby Carpenter is a bust. He can't stiff the field after two seasons as a first round draft pick. It isn't even injury related.

Every indication from the coaches is that he's athletic, works really hard, and has a good attitude. To me that SCREAMS of them saying he's too dumb to play in this defense. Hard to believe a LB can be too dumb given some of the interviews I've seen of successful players, but apparently it's possible.

Designs by Thule

Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
          I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.

Comment

• I just want to bring this to the table. It's been on my mind since reading about this... But Luis Castillo just got an extension for the Chargers that will make it very difficult if not impossible for them to re-sign Olshansky. With many of the Chargers’ stars set to become free agents following 2009 — QB Philip Rivers, LB Shawne Merriman, WRs Chris Chambers and Vincent Jackson and OT Marcus McNeill — the team might not have the funds to re-sign Olshansky.

With Wade's natural connections to Igor, I really think that he becomes a viable option for our needs at DE. For all the Spears, Ratliff at DE and Hatcher talk that is bound to happen all year, keep in mind, it might only be this year that we continue to complain about that DE spot opposite of Canty.

There's an Igor Olshansky wagon that I'm preppin' up for a nice journey. You might wanna jump aboard and help me churn the rumor mill for the "Igor to Dallas" campaign. :D

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...wwhi072608.htm

http://www.rototimes.com/nfl/player....news&nid=40667

Comment

• Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
              Yeah I caught that, I was curious as to whether or not you know of anyone specific that Grantham has been especially effective with.

Just because they take on a project doesn't mean we can expect change. Campo is working extra with RW, but I don't think it's going to help or change anything.

I just don't see why everyone thinks Spears is good against the run either. It's like just because he can't rush the passer, we create some trait for him so he can be good at something. Is he adequate? Yeah, sure, he's serviceable at the position. Is he good? Meaning is he better than the average 3-4 DE? No, I don't think he's any better than average. In fact, Look at Igor Olshansky if you want to see a 3-4 DE who is GOOD against the run.
              OH you know that Brotha!

Comment

• Just for the record Jenkins is getting the starting LCB snaps and Pacman is still working with the 2nd team...also to note Ball is playing the nickel...so I'm garuntee'ing he will me on the team this year...just like Jones last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                  I just want to bring this to the table. It's been on my mind since reading about this... But Luis Castillo just got an extension for the Chargers that will make it very difficult if not impossible for them to re-sign Olshansky. With many of the Chargers’ stars set to become free agents following 2009 — QB Philip Rivers, LB Shawne Merriman, WRs Chris Chambers and Vincent Jackson and OT Marcus McNeill — the team might not have the funds to re-sign Olshansky.

With Wade's natural connections to Igor, I really think that he becomes a viable option for our needs at DE. For all the Spears, Ratliff at DE and Hatcher talk that is bound to happen all year, keep in mind, it might only be this year that we continue to complain about that DE spot opposite of Canty.

There's an Igor Olshansky wagon that I'm preppin' up for a nice journey. You might wanna jump aboard and help me churn the rumor mill for the "Igor to Dallas" campaign. :D

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...wwhi072608.htm

http://www.rototimes.com/nfl/player....news&nid=40667
                  Igor is a beast. My girlfriend saw him at the sushi place the other day with his fam and took a picture on her camera phone so I got to see what he looks like without pads and the guys is still incredibly thick.

Anyway, he would be a great addition to the D. Ideally he and Canty would man the end positions with spot duty from Hatcher.

BUT... I think someone is going to overpay for him. With the likely possibility of us resigning Canty plus the certainty that we will resign Ware, I'm not sure Olshansky is in our price range. People around the league know that you can't run on this guy.

I sure would love to have him though.

Comment

Spears has been having a great camp...and Ratliff hasnt seen much time at End at all yet...and he is constantly commanding double teams at the nose. I think Spears job is pretty safe and I cant see Ratliff making a full time move to End...he's just too good of a NT. Spears/Hatcher are good in their rotational roles and I think it's going to stay that way for this upcoming season, atleast.

edit...Also, Grantham has taken Spears under his wing and has been working w/ him exclusively after practices. Grantham is known for his little pet projects and he has chosenn Spears to be that next project.
                    I don't think Spears job is safe...I mean do i think he'll see the field regularily...yes...but I wouldn't say safe.

The reason I say this is not because of how good a nose Ratliff is....it's because how effective Tank is playing...I've read multiple reports in the past day saying dallas has had to adjust it's whole blocking scheme just to stop Tank...with this being the case....if you have a playmaker like that on the line you need to get him on the field more....and if thats the case Spears now becomes the odd man out...and Ratliff moves over.

Now don't get me confused...I don't think Spears will be sitting second string our anything...but I do think he'll see reduced snaps...with us running more 3-3 this year...last year Hatcher played the spot in the 3-3 but I have a feeling we'll be seeing Bowen-Tank-Ratliff this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by thule View Post
                      I don't think Spears job is safe...I mean do i think he'll see the field regularily...yes...but I wouldn't say safe.

The reason I say this is not because of how good a nose Ratliff is....it's because how effective Tank is playing...I've read multiple reports in the past day saying dallas has had to adjust it's whole blocking scheme just to stop Tank...with this being the case....if you have a playmaker like that on the line you need to get him on the field more....and if thats the case Spears now becomes the odd man out...and Ratliff moves over.

Now don't get me confused...I don't think Spears will be sitting second string our anything...but I do think he'll see reduced snaps...with us running more 3-3 this year...last year Hatcher played the spot in the 3-3 but I have a feeling we'll be seeing Bowen-Tank-Ratliff this year.
                      Apparently it's just Child's play for Tank against the second unit, which is great. I hope he starts getting some first team snaps so we can gauge him properly.

Comment

• Burns...

Some of Grantham's former pet projects included guys like Seth Payne, Jerry Deloatch, Chad Bratzke, and Alvin Mckinley. No, not big names at all but, players that all took their games to a new level under Grantham. He helps turn I guess I'll say pretty mediocre talents into very good players while playing under him. He's a very good coach who gets the best out of his guys. We'll have to take a wait and see approach but so far, so good for Spears.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• I hope Hard Knocks isnt the Amendola show. He has been disappearing in most practices. I figure Miles will have a large role in the show, he seemed to be the center piece in that trailer. Hopefully, Hurd gets a lot of face time too.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• Newman is most likely out for two weeks w/ a strained left groin...he'll probably miss the Chargers game.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/ar...r-a-while.html

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• I don't think Spears is going anywhere on 1st and 2nd downs, with how disruptive Tank has been all off-season it is likely we see Ratliff at DE alot with Tank in the middle, but that seems more passing down situations then anything...Hatcher is showing alot of flashes of potential, but again throw him out there on 1st down and guys would really see what Spears does offer us...Fact is most of our D-line has been playing incredible thus far and I couldn't be happier, maybe alot of us were off base in wishing for that NT, with the way Tank and Ratliff are playing he may of not had a spot with us.

I'm not upset about Newman, but worried this may be another year of the same story...Just let him get healthy and let Jenkins get up to speed with the 1st team, let him get beat a few times, face TO in man to man, he was expected to be the type of corner that could jump right in, and had a team like New Orleans or Tampa taken him he would of been immediately a starter, I'm not concerned with him starting if need be.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                              I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Spears took some reps inside...I was waiting to see if that would happen again this year....well that likely means the end of it for Salvi and Ayodele again...that roster spot should go to Davis imo.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information