This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
    Yeah.... are you trying to say you interpreted that differently than I did? I think it was pretty clear that he meant Burnett was about to take Akins job and had Zach Thomas not been available, KB would be the starter this year.
    I read on the DMN blog that one of the writers (Archer? McMahoin?) that based on pure practice Carpenter and Burnett have been the most impressive ILB in camp. He dinfately said they have played better than Zach.

I don't think he won't start but given his injury history we are one snap away from Burnett/ Carp playing significant time.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
      For some reason I'm totally not interested in camp talk this year. Maybe it's because the expectations are so high, that any good news is expected news... no real position battles going on... everyone seems to be on good behavior... no Bill Parcells, who helps to keep things dramatic in his own way... perhaps it's just the comforting feeling that everything is going well and there's nothing to worry about... I think that's it. There's nothing to debate. :(

Can somebody start a healthy friendly debate with me? I want to be more interested than I am.

Here's my stance on a few items:

- If there is a collapse to our season it will be because of our OL. It scares me A LOT. We failed to address improvements along the OL via FA and the Draft. Last I checked, they got owned by the G-Men. Yes, we re-signed Flozell, but that doesn't count as an upgrade/improvement. We basically stayed status-quo and our team can only go as far as our OL takes us. Flozell will have a down year. Kosier flat out sucks. Gurode/Davis/Columbo are our saving graces. Our depth is average and there's no one there worth mentioning as a future starter. Our backups are all career back up fodder. There's no doubt we need to address OL early and often in the draft next year. FA is the worst (well... most costly) way to make improvements along the OL. ...and nobody trades for them. LOL.

- Marc Columbo is more valuable to us than Doug Free or James Marten. The 2 guys drafted to possibly replace him. We really need to hope for a healthy year from him. I won't be surprised if Marten ends up getting cut.

- Roy Williams will have a bounce back year and quickly become a fan favorite again.

- Tank Johnson is going to step up in a big BIG way for us this year and is our best NT on the team. He's everything I hoped for in a 3-4 NT.

Well, I think Colt Brennan over Erik Walden would of been something I would have liked to of seen. I also hoped we had someone at guard who could push kosier.

It's bothering me that neither Marten or McQuistan can do anything to even push for a starting spot behind the worthless and overpaid Kyle K.

I will argue with you on Roy Williams though. He is trash. I saw MOTH say he was lighter and back to his old play making self but I have to disagree. Timmy Mac said he doesn't look any different than he did last year -- meaning he is still a fat deuce -- and just about every time I read about how the TE's did it was them catching a pass in front of Roy. Only thing I've heard about Roy is him stripping the ball from guys in non contact drills. Big deal, they probably weren't even expecting him to go for a strip.

I am surprised that Watkins hasn't stepped up though. He seems like a hard worker. He's got a great Rangy body. He can tackle.

Instead, It looks more like ill be eating crow when it comes to Courtney Brown. I said he would be **** at CB, which he never really had a chance to play, but it sounds like he has potential at Safety. I'm still thinking he needs to add some bulk if he even wants to be a full time guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnstonolb View Post
        I read on the DMN blog that one of the writers (Archer? McMahoin?) that based on pure practice Carpenter and Burnett have been the most impressive ILB in camp. He dinfately said they have played better than Zach.

I don't think he won't start but given his injury history we are one snap away from Burnett/ Carp playing significant time.
        Yeah I've only read real positive stuff about KB. Hopefully management is keeping him in mind as the heir apparent to Zach. I'd hate to let him leave in FA before he got a chance to be a 3 down guy.

Comment

• I didnt say Roy was back...I dont where you got that from. I said he was making some plays, nothing more than that. My expectations for Roy are still fairly low...I have not said he is back to being his old self and I really am not leaning toward thinking that either.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
          http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
          KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
            I didnt say Roy was back...I dont where you got that from. I said he was making some plays, nothing more than that. My expectations for Roy are still fairly low...I have not said he back to being his old self and I really am not leaning toward thinking that either.
            Oh I thought it was you. My bad. But yeah, low expectations is all I've got.

Like I've said before, we can live with some ****** coverage if he's going to hit people, but he doesn't do anything anymore.

Comment

• Looking back on one of my posts I said Roy will be back w/ the team...As in, he wont be traded or cut. Maybe you just misconstrued what i was trying to say. No big deal.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

Well for FWIW, I always thought Brown looked like a FS and Watkins a coverage SS in a 3-4.

Great to hear young guys pushing the older guys.

Good to hear Berger too. He was like a FA from Miami right? I assume he is bigger/thicker than Kosier?

Regardless, the intro of Houck and turning over the entire O to JG means the OL will look less like a Parcells OL (pulling trapping particularly from the Guards) and more like the road graters that Cowboy fans remember from the 1990s. Hopefully the running game improves with this change plus the addition/subtraction of Julius/Felix.
                Yes, he was from Miami but he's been with Dallas the last two years. It's not like Houck brought him along w/ him or anything. Berger was a lot smaller when he played for Houck. He's probably like 305-310 in comparison to him being a little under 300 as a Dolphin so, now he is a little bit more in the mold of a Houck guy....but, anyway to answer your question, he is bigger than Kosier, just not as athletic. Berger has been doing well but, I wouldnt say he is pushing Kosier for a job at this point. He's doing better than I thought he would do though...I didnt think he would have a place on the team to be honest...w/ all the shuffling going on along the line.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

Hey, I never got a chance to welcome you to our team forum. So welcome.

If Carp is doing anything better than crap, I'll take that as a positive sign. Burnett I've always had a high opinion of. Zach will be the man. Don't worry about him.

Haven't heard your take on Roy Williams yet. Do you think he can bounce back and be the great Safety that he showed promise of early in his career?

Comment

Yes, he was from Miami but he's been with Dallas the last two years. It's not like Houck brought him along w/ him or anything. Berger was a lot smaller when he played for Houck. He's probably like 305-310 in comparison to him being a little under 300 as a Dolphin so, now he is a little bit more in the mold of a Houck guy....but, anyway to answer your question, he is bigger than Kosier, just not as athletic. Berger has been doing well but, I wouldnt say he is pushing Kosier for a job at this point. He's doing better than I thought he would do though...I didnt think he would have a place on the team to be honest...w/ all the shuffling going on along the line.
                    Don't you think Kosier just doesn't fit this line? I feel like he belong in Denver, Houston, or Oakland. He's just a little ***** and we're not even set up to utilize his so-called "strengths". I just want another big body bad ass in there. Kosier just seems like a pusssy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
                      Don't you think Kosier just doesn't fit this line? I feel like he belong in Denver, Houston, or Oakland. He's just a little ***** and we're not even set up to utilize his so-called "strengths". I just want another big body bad ass in there. Kosier just seems like a pusssy.
                      lol...he's really not as bad as you all think he is. I agree he is the weakest link on the line but, he has been solid in his two years w/ the team. His play is steady and he's not one of those problematic penalty guys. That said, I would love an upgrade. Someone with a nastier demeanor would be excellent but, that isnt going to happen this year and Kosier isnt really going to be a problem out there. The reason it seems as though, he doesnt fit all that well is because, the rest of line are all pro bowl caliber players. Kosier has gotten a bad rep on here and it's really undeserved. Yes, he's obviously the weakest but, he is still a solid/steady player who you can depend on.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

lol...he's really not as bad as you all think he is. I agree he is the weakest link on the line but, he has been solid in his two years w/ the team. His play is steady and he's not one of those problematic penalty guys. That said, I would love an upgrade. Someone with a nastier demeanor would be excellent but, that isnt going to happen this year and Kosier isnt really going to be a problem out there. The reason it seems as though, he doesnt fit all that well is because, the rest of line are all pro bowl caliber players. Kosier has gotten a bad rep on here and it's really undeserved. Yes, he's obviously the weakest but, he is still a solid/steady player who you can depend on.
                        I've just always been a fan of the wide body power pushers. I've never liked the technically sound, mobile/pulling oriented guards.

I always think back to when I first started watching cowboy football and some of the lines Emmit had. I was too young to appreciate it at the time (born in 85) but looking back now it was just amazing.

I feel like upgrading kosier would undoubtedly add some more attitude to the line and definitely make it the class of the league.

Comment

• Someone said that the first Hard Knocks was going to be put up online. I can't find any information about this. Where is this information?

Comment

• Not surprising or anything but, Mike Jenkins has been named starter for the Chargers game. Austin and Stanback will most likely start the game as the kick returners.
                            Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 08-06-2008, 05:37 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                              Hey, I never got a chance to welcome you to our team forum. So welcome.

If Carp is doing anything better than crap, I'll take that as a positive sign. Burnett I've always had a high opinion of. Zach will be the man. Don't worry about him.

Haven't heard your take on Roy Williams yet. Do you think he can bounce back and be the great Safety that he showed promise of early in his career?
                              Thanks. Yeah, the Carp reports have been positive. Surprisingly so given history.

RW was a great player in a 4-3 where the LB helped him in coverage. I think he is in the wrong scheme unless we go with much lighter ILB who can pick up coverage responsibility. I expect a better year than last but I am not expecting 2003 either. He was productive last year in his role though.

But what I love this year is the speed in the DB Corps. The package with Henry in the Dime playing Rover using Pacman, TNew, Jenkins, Brown/Watkins and Hamlin. Really fast which should help with the spread sets. I expect a lot more sacks.

Comment

Not surprising or anything but, Mike Jenkins has been named starter for the Chargers game. Austin and Stanback will most likely start the game as the kick returners.
                                So Jenkins will be covering either Chambers or Craig Davis -- I'm interested to see how he does.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information