Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spencer needed his knee scoped, good thing we have great depth at LOLB, he'll be good to go....If were talking about Newman playing the last pre-season game I'm not worried about him.

Adam Jones will be starting at Left Corner tommorrow over Jenkins, not sure if AJ is playing but good to watch his progress game to game, although he has been on the right all camp.

In terms of strictly injuries, were good, no cause for concern yet, look around the league, Colts and Pats dealing with their star QB as well as other key guys, injuries are all over the place, I think we are still ahead of the pack.
    Last edited by LonghornsLegend; 08-21-2008, 11:04 AM.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• The chances of Walden making the team, at least for a few weeks, just improved dramatically with Spencer out.

Comment

• Any chance of trading Spears and a first rounder for Boldin?

Comment

• Just further reinforces the feeling I had of Spencer being a bust. Some of you asked me why? Well, here's another reason.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
            Just further reinforces the feeling I had of Spencer being a bust. Some of you asked me why? Well, here's another reason.
            He's a bust because he has a minor injury? I think this is overreacting a bit.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
              Just further reinforces the feeling I had of Spencer being a bust. Some of you asked me why? Well, here's another reason.
              Lol wow...I can't believe you really don't mind calling him a flat out bust in his 2nd year before we even get a chance to unleash him after Ellis leaves...You aren't even giving him a 2nd season while his rookie season was very promising, I don't get that one...You would have to persuade me a little more then this small injury which is the first significant one I can even remember him having.

Comment

• Hey, just calling it as I see it unfolding. First round pick. I expected to hear him tearing up practice so much that the coaches are being forced to start him over Ellis. That hasn't been anywhere near the case.

I know Ware was selected much higher, and I wasn't expecting to get a guy like Ware out of Spencer, but he hasn't brought any magic to the preseason games like Ware did in his first preseason game.

Comment

• Well actually, Spencer had an outstanding camp. He was frequently taking away first team snaps from Ellis. He was/will be looking at an expanded role this year...I personally love the guy, he's going to be a great player for us. In the mean time, Ellis is not someone you just force out the door, he may whine a lot but, he is a hell of a talented player still and some might not know it but, he does take a leadership role in that locker room and on the sidelines. Just watch an episode of Hard Knocks to see how much Ellis still loves his teammates and the game. Spencer right now is luxury but, I dont have a doubt in my mind that he is going to turn out to be a fantastic player. The eventual transition from Ellis to Spencer should be seamless.
                  Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 08-21-2008, 09:51 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                  http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                  KO KNOWS

Comment

• I know it would seem ridiculous, but any chance that Carpenter gets some looks at OLB?

He has some experience playing there, and unless Walden comes in and can rush the crap out of the QB, i wouldn't mind putting Carp over there and let him run around. I don't know how much time he'll be seeing inside with the way Zach is playing.

Comment

• Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
                      I know it would seem ridiculous, but any chance that Carpenter gets some looks at OLB?

He has some experience playing there, and unless Walden comes in and can rush the crap out of the QB, i wouldn't mind putting Carp over there and let him run around. I don't know how much time he'll be seeing inside with the way Zach is playing.
                      I'd prefer Walden to get as many reps as he can out there. Even if he doesn't do well, which he probably wont, we need to do it. He was brought in as basically a body with the right tools, but not a whole lot of skill. Carp will never see any real time out there. He is a lost cause. Might as well move forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
                        I'd prefer Walden to get as many reps as he can out there. Even if he doesn't do well, which he probably wont, we need to do it. He was brought in as basically a body with the right tools, but not a whole lot of skill. Carp will never see any real time out there. He is a lost cause. Might as well move forward.
                        So you'd knowingly throw a guy out there, who most likely wont succeed, over a guy who you have much more invested in?

It's their responsibility to find every chance possible for Carpenter to succeed, i'd understand if they felt he was incapable of doing anything positive, but the logic you're giving me is pretty inane.

Comment

• How has noone posted or linked this yet..I love this stuff.

Five Downs With Football Outsiders: Is Roy Williams really that bad in coverage?
                          10:44 AM Thu, Aug 21, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
                          Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

NS_09SanDiego9.jpg

I'm pleased to announce a new feature on this here blog: Five Downs With Football Outsiders. Bill Barnwell, a contributing editor at footballoutsiders.com and one of the minds behind the must-read Pro Football Prospectus, has agreed to answer five Cowboys questions each week of the season using the FO data and methodologies. Here's the preseason edition:

1. Roy Williams' coverage ability (or lack thereof) is always a hot topic in Dallas. What do your numbers indicate about Williams' performance in coverage over the last few years?

Our numbers, in this case, back up what the naked eye sees; Roy Williams has a target on his back, and it's there for a reason. Williams was targeted with 59 passes last year, the second-most of any safety in the league. Those passes "succeeded" (our measure for tracking whether the pass did enough to contribute towards earning a first down) 63% of the time; therefore, Williams had a 37% success rate, which was 72nd amongst all safeties. Remember that there's only 64 starting safeties in the league and, well, it wasn't a pretty year for Roy.

2. Adam "Pacman" Jones arrived here with a lot of talk about his Pro Bowl potential. How close was he to being an elite cornerback for the Titans?

He wasn't close. He already was one. Jones often lined up in man coverage, and absolutely shut down opposing wideouts in 2006. His success rate was 63% -- that was second-best amongst all corners, and the 5.4 yards he gave up per pass were the best in the league. It's impossible to say what he'll be this year because of the year off, his obviously bizarre mental state, and the time it may take to adjust to a new system, but when his mind is right, Adam Jones is on the shortlist of best cornerbacks in football.

3. Can Tony Romo put up the same kind of numbers he did while rewriting the franchise passing record book last season?

He's certainly capable of doing so. We were expecting some regression from Romo and the Cowboys offense in 2007 because of the third-down principle that we've discovered exists in the NFL. Without getting too deep into the gory details, what we've found is that teams whose third down performance on offense or defense exceeds their performance on first and second down tend to see that third down performance decline in subsequent years. That was true of the Cowboys in 2006, but instead of seeing their third down performance decline, instead, the Cowboys' offense improved on first and second down.

The biggest concern for Tony Romo and for the Cowboys as a whole is injury. The team has been the healthiest in football by far over the past five years, and it goes a huge way in helping to explain the team's success. If you remember the second Eagles game last year, Romo and (I believe) Andre Gurode got hurt, and although Romo stayed in the game, he really, really struggled with his mechanics and getting the ball out on time. Romo's a very talented player, but he has a risky, daredevil style and honestly, both he and the Cowboys' offense are overdue for a year full of injuries.

4. Felix Jones averaged 7.7 yards per carry, better than any major college back other than Army's Glenn Davis in the '40s. According to your research, is there a strong correlation between college yards per carry and NFL success?

Not particularly. If we look at the ten best yards per attempt for players that we've seen at the college level, it's a mix of stars (Larry Johnson, LaDainian Tomlinson, Ahman Green) and relative disappointments (Mike Rozier, J.J. Arrington, Rashaan Salaam, Damien Anderson).

The item we've seen that best correlates to NFL success is a metric we've come up with called Speed Score, which weighs a player's performance in the 40-yard-dash relative to his weight. No one doubts that Felix Jones has fantastic speed, but it was very surprising that he ran only a 4.47 at the Combine. For a guy who weighs 207 pounds, that's a 103.7 Speed Score -- the average Speed Score for first-round picks is 112. Combining that with concerns about the style of offense that Arkansas ran and its application to pro performance, and I have reservations about Jones' ability to succeed at the pro level.

5. Judging by Football Outsiders data, who is the most underrated Cowboy? Overrated?

That's a tough one. Roy Williams would be the one who's overrated. For most underrated...I'll go with Marc Colombo. He did arguably the best job of any tackle in handling Michael Strahan last year -- particularly for the first three quarters of the playoff game, while the Cowboys were aces at running to the right last year. The Cowboys were second in the league at running behind right tackle, and first in the league at running to the outside besides it.
                          from dmn blog
                          Last edited by thule; 08-23-2008, 05:01 AM.

Comment

• Walden is a PS guy imo....he just doesn't have the size/strength to stack up on the outside right now.

Carp won't be moved to the outside...he hasn't seen a snap out there since Wade came to town.

If anything a guy who makes the team that maybe shouldn't is Justin Rogers...since he can flex inside and outside...and is a special team ace.

Comment

• Originally posted by thule View Post
                              How has noone posted or linked this yet..I love this stuff.

from dmn blog

Your right, that was an excellent article and I was happy to of stumbled across that, I hope dmn keeps that stuff coming.

Comment

• With training camp over...and probably the last sighting of our big starters in preseason it's time to put up your mover boards guys.

TC/Preseason Winners
                                Tank Johnson
                                Tank was a 2nd teamer who has made a bigger leap than anyone in the offseason...he has developed into a vocal leader for this team and has worked himself into 1st team reps where we just shelled out over 20 million to a player...can someone show me a player who improved his status more than him?

Zach Thomas
                                Some of the people around here kinda let this signing go under the radar right away...and were a little skeptical about bringing in someone this old when we had burnett. But damn has Zach looked good out on the field. He is that "peice" in our defense that we have needed ever since Woody left us...and it's going to show on gameday...I can't wait to watch him play.

Young WRs
                                I'm going to join these guys into a group. Because all of them improved over the year...and it was a bit skeptical to cut Terry Glenn with these unknown guys in place....but they stepped up and each guy has a specific roll in mind. Austin should be used to stretch defenses from time to time...Sammy will get outside looks in 3 wide sets....and Stanback probably won't see a lot of time this year...but if he can contribute as a returner thats about all the progess we need out of him in his 2nd year.

Flozell Adams
                                How can I call this guy a mover when he is a perennial pro-bowler? IDK but what I do know is that going into the offseason LT was a HUGE issue and getting a motivated Flozell to come back and keep Romo's backside clean is huge for our chances at a superbowl run.

Marion Barber
                                When we didn't take Mendenhall I was pissed....however Barber is showing that he can be an elite top 5 back in the NFL...something that was a mystery all of last year. I'm expecting huge things from MB3 this year and I have no doubts he'll match those.

Pacman Jones
                                We are talking about a guy who hasn't played in a year and I'm already drooling. His punt return was dynamic...he's been noted from one tennessee coach as the most dynamic returner he has ever seen and I'm believing it. Punt returns/Kick returns I have a feeling he can take it to the house at anytime...and if we need to get the ball in his hands...I wouldn't hesitate to put him back as a kick returner if we need a spark. One thing that pac gives us a huge advantage with is man-to-man coverage skills...with Newman/Jenkins/Pac we now have a core that can play man to man with almost any WR in the league....I remember last year Wade talking about what I luxury it was to have Newman being able to lock down one side of the field...so he could roll his zones to the off side...but now Wade doesn't even have to do that....I'm still skeptical about Pacman and Jenkins in zone coverages...but I don't think Stewart is going to play them to their weaknesses...and I can't wait to see our top 4 out there together. One thing that will change with our heavy man scheme this year tho...will be our drop off in our run defense....I've already noticed Thomas making tons of perimeter tackles this year...and this is because our corners have their backs to the ball in coverage...something to worry about...but a decrease in run defense and an increase in pass defense is something I could live with a bit.

Stock Down
                                Roy Williams
                                I'm not putting this down to create drama...but we are talking about one of the highest paid safeties in the league only being a 2 down player...maybe it's just me but I don't feel that justifies that. I don't think Roy will have a down season...and actually think he'll have his best season since Darren left...however this is actually caused by being taken off the field...if I'm a gamebreaker i gotta be on the field...so Roy is declined by default for me.

Kevin Burnett
                                Call me crazy but Burnett's scope might just make him a FA next year. I love Kevin on the field..but he is always dinged up....sure he's only missed 3 games...but there comes a point in time where you need to rely on a player..and Kevin just hasn't proven that to me. If I'm the dallas cowboys I look for greener pastures in 2009 to a guy with less injury history.

Felix Jones
                                I'm not calling Felix a bust or anything....but as a first round pick I expect more than 5-8 touches a game and (maybe) a kick returner....maybe my expectations were to high...but I just thought that he'd somehow show his abilities to warrant more time with the ball in his hands. I liked the explosiveness he showed...and maybe we have been hiding him from the media...but at this point in time I'm slightly disappointed with the playing time he has warranted.

Backup OL
                                Talk about dropping the ball...our 2nd string OL is terrible...McQ was a guy who I really thought could get some hype going...but I didn't hear a single good thing about him in camp...and actually heard mumbles about not being quick enough to be a fulltime outside player. Marten has been a bust so far...even if it is only year two....Free has been ok for me...but I'm not sold he can step in for Flozell fulltime if something was to happen to him....Berger got some hype going...but not sure why or for what...Proctor was repeatedly manhandled by our DL...and the rest aren't worth mentioning....I went into this TC thinking our backup OL was solid....now I'm thinking day 1 in next years draft maybe.

Alan Ball
                                Congratulations....a guy who has had all the coaches on his side since he's gotten to dallas and hasn't done a single thing since he got here....aside from putting on weight I haven't heard a single good thing about him. Bye Bye Ball...maybe you'll clear waivers and stick on the PS.

On the Cusp
                                Courtney Brown
                                Did you win the deep safety job? I'm not sure...but if you could have shown you could tackle better I think it would have been your job...you've been a good special teamer thus far and look forward to seeing you on the field atleast some this season.

Martellus Bennett
                                Media is dogging you...but there is one thing that shows up to me and that is your uncanny ability to make plays. I'm hoping to see you develop a roll on this team this year...and see the field atleast 20 snaps a game on offense. Your blocking is already far superior to Curtis's so prove to have reliable hands in the redzone and you'll be my man.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information