This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnstonolb View Post
    Hey, excited about Sunday, Anyone want to start a predictions thread for 2008? A Cleveland thread?

FWIW, I think the key to Sunday is Josh Cribbs and our ST. Folk needs to do a great job of protecting them in spite of Cribbs being injured (looks to play I think). With Austin and Hurd out we are hurting on ST -- hopefully Davis does something for us.

Cowboys 38 - Cleveland 31
    I hope we do to Cribbs what we did to Hester last year. But those visions look like a mirage now after seeing the ST's perform this pre-season.

I sure hope it doesn't turn into a shootout though, i'm pretty sure we can keep Braylon and Lewis in check.

Comment

• DC.com is talking about Stanback being the 3rd WR. I really think he'll only be used in 4 WR sets. He's not ready to be 3rd WR in my book. Granted it would be a good trial by fire, but I don't think the first game of the season is a good testing ground. More than likely we'll see Witten playing the slot in the 3 WR sets.

Comment

• Originally posted by leroyisgod View Post
        DC.com is talking about Stanback being the 3rd WR. I really think he'll only be used in 4 WR sets. He's not ready to be 3rd WR in my book. Granted it would be a good trial by fire, but I don't think the first game of the season is a good testing ground. More than likely we'll see Witten playing the slot in the 3 WR sets.

Yeah I read the Witten as WR thing but frankly I don't buy it -- they can line him up but not sure how effective it will be. Bennett/Curtis makes more sense, Felix makes more sense.

Alternatively, I see lots of 2 TE in passing situations with Felix back there.

I also see us running lots on first down in order to avoid 3rd and longs (assuming we are not behind). Given the G situation and the lack of explosiveness in the WR packages, I just don't see how we can attack the safeties credibly without the WRs. Field will be compressed.

But Cle D has lots to prove. Will be fun.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnstonolb View Post
          Yeah I read the Witten as WR thing but frankly I don't buy it -- they can line him up but not sure how effective it will be. Bennett/Curtis makes more sense, Felix makes more sense.

Alternatively, I see lots of 2 TE in passing situations with Felix back there.

I also see us running lots on first down in order to avoid 3rd and longs (assuming we are not behind). Given the G situation and the lack of explosiveness in the WR packages, I just don't see how we can attack the safeties credibly without the WRs. Field will be compressed.

But Cle D has lots to prove. Will be fun.

Even still though, Clevelands secondary is in pretty bad shape, we should still be able to exploit them through the air, but I think Stanback is going to be more of a decoy, the first time he gets slammed on his shoulder hard thats it...I agree 2 TE sets is probably what we will see the most of, and maybe even a heavier dose of running then normally.

But I did read that Cribbs was doubtful to play so looks like he will be out.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
          I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Originally posted by RUred&Dallasblue View Post
            Hello fellow Cowboys fans =D, im a long time fan of the site and this team forum but this is my first post. I was content for the longest time just reading and taking sides in the shadows, but after realizing my real life friends are clueless to anything beyond what a casual fan would know... I decided I would like it very much so to interact with fans who know more than what happens on gameday. Here are my first thoughts...

In Cleveland due to the lack of WR depth I expect to see alot of Twin tightend and I-formations with TEs and RB motioning out wide. This is where the addition of Felix Jones will help. Marion will probably have 20-25 touches rushing the ball... I believe Felix will get 5-10 touches rushing and another 5-10 on screens or passes that he is motioned out to the LOS. TO will be put all over the field. Garrett seemes to line his playmaker anywear to create mismatches...When Stanback comes into the game in nickle situations, I think he will be placed out wide with either TO or Crayton in the slot.. I don't think they will put him in many situations where he is crossing the middle due to his injury. Witten will also see some snaps for the slot and outwide, with either Curtis or Bennet getting some additional snaps at TE.

I really don't know what to expect from Procter, but I do know the Holland will get an opportunity to play eventually. He has the type of size that fits in with the o-line and I believe Phillips would rather keep Procter as his utility interior lineman. If his play is even close to Kosier's performance last season does anyone think he will keep the job for the season.. or will Kosier supplant him in week 6 or 7 when he should return? and this may be WAY pre-mature..but is there any chance Kosier's future with the team would be in jeopardy if Holland were to perform well? either way I believe a guard with be on the draft radar for 09' Berger is a FA... Marten already has on foot out the door.. and Proctor is the primary backup for Gurode. I like Duke Robinson for Oklahoma... but other than him... i dont see the boys drafting a guard early.
            Welcome back NJ_J_Witt_fan. But why the new fake identity?

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
              Welcome back NJ_J_Witt_fan. But why the new fake identity?
              haha cant put anything past good ole' D... I change my computer and I tend to save my passwords and then tend to forget them. Which normally wouldn't be a problem, but when I requested my password it said the system didnt reconize my e-mail address. So I made a new name... and didn't want to get in trouble for multiple alias's... so i figured it would be easier to pretend I was commpletely new. Sorry guys

Comment

• Originally posted by RUred&Dallasblue View Post
                haha cant put anything past good ole' D... I change my computer and I tend to save my passwords and then tend to forget them. Which normally wouldn't be a problem, but when I requested my password it said the system didnt reconize my e-mail address. So I made a new name... and didn't want to get in trouble for multiple alias's... so i figured it would be easier to pretend I was commpletely new. Sorry guys
                No worries. If you want I can help you get your old account back. Just PM me your email address.

Comment

• DC.com is saying we are cutting Ogelsby for KD

Guess they see something in Ball we all don't

Thanks to bonekrusher for the sig

Comment

• Maybe special teams, Oglesby did have the good camp but he didn't really stand out in the games, and I do know Ball plays gunner on ST which we are pretty short of right now, as well as his salary is significantly cheaper...I surely wanted to keep him, but I won't split hairs about the bottom of the depth chart, Scandrick passed all those guys anyway.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Ya agreed Scandrick looks like a beast knocked two guys and himself out so far this year

Edit: Not knocked out but you get the picture

Thanks to bonekrusher for the sig

Comment

• Keith Davis could end up being a stop gap replacement if we release Roy Williams at some point. Unless the coaching staff decides that Taylor Mays will be able to start from Day 1. :D

Comment

• There isnt much of a difference between Ball and Oglesby...Oglesby is better now but, he's also older. It didnt matter which one we kept really because, neither was going to see that much time and neither is going to have a long cowboy career most likely.

As for the other corners...it's going to be real interesting to see how things look, say 4-5 years from now at the position.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                          http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                          KO KNOWS

Comment

• What are the odds that Oglesby makes it past waivers and we sign him onto the practice squad? I think one downside is that he got a lot of pt in the pre-season and scouts probably have him pegged.
                            Last edited by leroyisgod; 09-02-2008, 08:47 PM. Reason: mistake

Comment

• He's not PS eligible...he's been active well over the 9 game limit.

This is the same reason Chad Jackson is not PS eligible.

PS squad players pretty much are still considered rookies...they cant have a full season under their belts...in the NFL, that 9 game mark constitutes a full season for the PS eligible player.
                              Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 09-02-2008, 08:53 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                              http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                              KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                                There isnt much of a difference between Ball and Oglesby...Oglesby is better now but, he's also older. It didnt matter which one we kept really because, neither was going to see that much time and neither is going to have a long cowboy career most likely.

As for the other corners...it's going to be real interesting to see how things look, say 4-5 years from now at the position.
                                I think next year it will be Newman and Pac starting with Jenkins coming in on the nickel and Newman kicking down to the slot. In the "dime" or "Rover" Package or whatever you want to call it I think Jenkins will take Henry's spot as the TE cover man with Newman in the slot and Pac/Scandrick outside.

Henry is gone after this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information