This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
    Keith Davis could end up being a stop gap replacement if we release Roy Williams at some point. Unless the coaching staff decides that Taylor Mays will be able to start from Day 1. :D
    Taylor Mays notwithstanding, I think we are fine with Watkins and Hamlin playing that SS role and Henry or Brown at FS. Just think the rotation is good enough.

Keith Davis, to me, is a ST pick up until the WR get healthy again. He may be around all year for that matter but I see him getting jettisoned so that we can use that roster spot for an area we are thinner at.

Gotta get into College Football but on USC give me Rey. Reminds me a Junior Seau.

Comment

• Originally posted by leroyisgod View Post
      DC.com is talking about Stanback being the 3rd WR. I really think he'll only be used in 4 WR sets. He's not ready to be 3rd WR in my book. Granted it would be a good trial by fire, but I don't think the first game of the season is a good testing ground. More than likely we'll see Witten playing the slot in the 3 WR sets.
      Rather see Stanback as the 3rd WR than Jason. Jason is just so good playing on the LOS. Gives you so much to play with.

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
        But I did read that Cribbs was doubtful to play so looks like he will be out.
        ... and that is what scares the dickens out of me. We score and that guy tight ropes a TD or two on us.

So your post makes me quite content.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnstonolb View Post
          Taylor Mays notwithstanding, I think we are fine with Watkins and Hamlin playing that SS role and Henry or Brown at FS. Just think the rotation is good enough.

Keith Davis, to me, is a ST pick up until the WR get healthy again. He may be around all year for that matter but I see him getting jettisoned so that we can use that roster spot for an area we are thinner at.

Gotta get into College Football but on USC give me Rey. Reminds me a Junior Seau.
          Why would we do that? We were prepared to keep 7 corners all year...As long as Davis performs well, his job will be safe. Those last few corners only play on ST and they arent as good as Davis there. There arent a lof of roster moves made during the regular season and ST is a weak link. We're going to need him.
          Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 09-02-2008, 10:38 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
          http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
          KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
            Why would we do that? We were prepared to keep 7 corners all year...As long as Davis performs well, his job will be safe. Those last few corners only play on ST and they arent as good as Davis there. There arent a lof of roster moves made during the regular season and ST is a weak link. We're going to need him.
            Don't disagree with you but I would prefer to "bank his roster slot" in some capacity to get some LB or OL depth .... if the WR don't get healthy fast maybe even WR.

But you are probably right.

Comment

• Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
              I think next year it will be Newman and Pac starting with Jenkins coming in on the nickel and Newman kicking down to the slot. In the "dime" or "Rover" Package or whatever you want to call it I think Jenkins will take Henry's spot as the TE cover man with Newman in the slot and Pac/Scandrick outside.

Henry is gone after this year.
              I don't think Henry will be gone after this year. He's gonna be a FA in 2010. He only makes $2.6M this year and the same next year. No roster bonuses or anything else. To put that into perspective, Kosier is slated to make more than him. LOL.

Our depth at CB is perfect right now. Not too much, not too little.

However, the one guy who could be gone is Roy. He'll make $4.4M next year and $4.05M in 2010 before he's a FA in 2011. That's a heavy wallet to carry around if production doesn't warrant it.

Comment

• I love the depth but, I would say it's a tad too much...again not complaining and I wanted it this way but, there is a realistic chance that Mike Jenkins will still only be a nickel corner 3+ years down the line. Great to have that talent there for the team but, also kind of a waste of talent.

But, w/ Newman's injury history, there is no guarantee that he'll be able to finish that contract...something will probably happen somewhere. Something always does in these types of situations...too much talent, not enough starting positions available. They always seem to just work themselves out.

This isnt even factoring in Scandrick who may never be more than a 4th corner on this team...even if he proves to be a steal. His career path is blocked. Great problem to have for the team but, from that player's point of view it could be a bit demoralizing, knowing you'll never get a real chance on this team.
                Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 09-02-2008, 10:55 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                  I love the depth but, I would say it's a tad too much...again not complaining and I wanted it this way but, there is a realistic chance that Mike Jenkins will still only be a nickel corner 3+ years down the line. Great to have that talent there for the team but, also kind of a waste of talent.

But, w/ Newman's injury history, there is no guarantee that he'll be able to finish that contract...something will probably happen somewhere. Something always does in these types of situations...too much talent, not enough starting positions available. They always seem to just work themselves out.

This isnt even factoring in Scandrick who may never be more than a 4th corner on this team...even if he proves to be a steal. His career path is blocked. Great problem to have for the team but, from that player's point of view it could be a bit demoralizing, knowing you'll never get a real chance on this team.
                  I don't think they'll be rotting on the sidelines. I think what we will see is more of a rotation. Keeping guys fresh and more able to outlast opposing Wrs deep into games. Campo is smart enough to figure it out.

Plus, we're gonna have A LOT of blowouts this year and our younger guys will get experience that way too. ;)

Comment

• I agree with that thought process, thats why I thought the best course of action was to let Newman play his deal out and see what we have with Jenkins, and if Adam Jones has go this head on straight, then franchise Newman, after that he's pretty old and we have two starting caliber corners that are very young with Scandrick as the Nickel and preferrably thats how it should be.

With that being said, its just nitpicking, it's unlikely that our top 4 corners play all 16 games this year, and the first time somebody has to go down for a significant amount of time I'll be singing Jerry's praises that we don't have a nickel guy to get picked on like last year...I do think its going to be some decisions made though, if we get a best case scenario we will have quite a lineup with our top 5 corners.

How do you guys see us matching up with Cleveland?

Henry on Winslow
                    Newman on Braylon?
                    Adam Jones on Stallworth?

Newman usually plays out of the slot but Cleveland doesn't have anything to brag about as their 3rd WR, and I don't know about you guys but I don't trust Adam jones going against Braylon just yet, maybe a few plays...He might be alot more physical then Newman but he would at least contain the deep ball which I'm sure they will be looking for quite a bit.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Originally posted by RUred&Dallasblue View Post
                      Hello fellow Cowboys fans =D, im a long time fan of the site and this team forum but this is my first post. I was content for the longest time just reading and taking sides in the shadows, but after realizing my real life friends are clueless to anything beyond what a casual fan would know... I decided I would like it very much so to interact with fans who know more than what happens on gameday. Here are my first thoughts...

In Cleveland due to the lack of WR depth I expect to see alot of Twin tightend and I-formations with TEs and RB motioning out wide. This is where the addition of Felix Jones will help. Marion will probably have 20-25 touches rushing the ball... I believe Felix will get 5-10 touches rushing and another 5-10 on screens or passes that he is motioned out to the LOS. TO will be put all over the field. Garrett seemes to line his playmaker anywear to create mismatches...When Stanback comes into the game in nickle situations, I think he will be placed out wide with either TO or Crayton in the slot.. I don't think they will put him in many situations where he is crossing the middle due to his injury. Witten will also see some snaps for the slot and outwide, with either Curtis or Bennet getting some additional snaps at TE.

I really don't know what to expect from Procter, but I do know the Holland will get an opportunity to play eventually. He has the type of size that fits in with the o-line and I believe Phillips would rather keep Procter as his utility interior lineman. If his play is even close to Kosier's performance last season does anyone think he will keep the job for the season.. or will Kosier supplant him in week 6 or 7 when he should return? and this may be WAY pre-mature..but is there any chance Kosier's future with the team would be in jeopardy if Holland were to perform well? either way I believe a guard with be on the draft radar for 09' Berger is a FA... Marten already has on foot out the door.. and Proctor is the primary backup for Gurode. I like Duke Robinson for Oklahoma... but other than him... i dont see the boys drafting a guard early.
                      Nice to have you. Its funny to think about all the people who are out there reading without posting. I know I was a frequent reader of the forum for nearly a year before making a sign in name and contributing to the discussion myself.

Anyway, nice to see a new guy join the group, and welcome.

Good first post, and interesting analysis. I do think Holland has a small chance to supplant Kosier, but he would have to be unreasonably good. OL play is almost all about communication and chemistry--as long as the talent is there in the first place, obviously--so its hard to expect anything like that. He does seem a little more like the type of player we are looking for, though. The blueandsilverreport wrote an article comparing this acquisition to when we acquired Kevin Gogan in the early 90s. We can hope that this works out that well, though its obviously unlikely. I do like the idea :)
                      Originally posted by 21ST
                      He was protecting his self
                      Originally posted by tjsunstein
                      From what? His leg?
                      Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
                      That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
                      "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• I was reading the comments to the post about Oglesby getting cut in the DMN blog and wow, some fans are just ridicolous!
                        They're complaining about this move because Oglesby had a lot of interceptions in camp and he outplayed both Jenkins and Scandrick. Lol! Seriously, they're acting like we cut an important player, someone with superstar potential.

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

• Originally posted by Modano View Post
                          I was reading the comments to the post about Oglesby getting cut in the DMN blog and wow, some fans are just ridicolous!
                          They're complaining about this move because Oglesby had a lot of interceptions in camp and he outplayed both Jenkins and Scandrick. Lol! Seriously, they're acting like we cut an important player, someone with superstar potential.
                          You think that's bad, there was fan blog on BTB that asked the question if WP should be fired if we didn't play well in the PRESEASON game against the Texans. A preseason game! Even though we have our disagreements on this board, we are at least somewhat rational and not downright ********.

And heres that blog post if anyone cares to read.
                          http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2008/...-after-tonight

Comment

• LOl @ the blog post.

Anyway, to respond to L.L's post, I think we'd be better off having Jenkins on Stallworth than Jones. He's still pretty rusty (Jones), and he showed it a few times in the pre-season. I wouldn't put him out there on their fastest guy just yet. But let's not get worried about matchups, guys.

Who are they gonna put on Owens? On Witten? Can their LB's handle Bennett's athleticism? Felix might come out of the slot a few times also, so what then? I'm not too worried about this game. I don't think Braylon will be huge for them, but i am a little worried about K2.

Comment

• K2 is gonna get bitched by Roy Williams!!!!!!

No but seriously, We should be fine. I'm not worried about Stallworth unless Jacque Reeves is covering him. The only good game he had last year was against us.

As far as Montrae Holland goes, I'm not sure if he will be in upgrade in the run game in comparison to kosier, but it seems like he should be. I went ahead and looked up how he did in pass protection last year for Cutler and he only gave up 1.5 sacks (kc Joyner gives out half sacks when the blame falls on 2 lineman) and Kosier gave up 2.5, so I guess you could say he should hold his own in pass blocking. Especially now that he is surrounded with guys more like him.

side note - Flozell led all LT's in the NFL with only 1 sack allowed. He was the only one to do it. A few others had 1.5. Joe Thomas either had 2.5 or 3.5, I forgot, but that **** about him giving up no sacks was a lie.

Davis gave up 2, Gurode 0.5, and Columbo gave up 5.

Comment

• Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
                                K2 is gonna get bitched by Roy Williams!!!!!!

No but seriously, We should be fine. I'm not worried about Stallworth unless Jacque Reeves is covering him. The only good game he had last year was against us.

As far as Montrae Holland goes, I'm not sure if he will be in upgrade in the run game in comparison to kosier, but it seems like he should be. I went ahead and looked up how he did in pass protection last year for Cutler and he only gave up 1.5 sacks (kc Joyner gives out half sacks when the blame falls on 2 lineman) and Kosier gave up 2.5, so I guess you could say he should hold his own in pass blocking. Especially now that he is surrounded with guys more like him.

side note - Flozell led all LT's in the NFL with only 1 sack allowed. He was the only one to do it. A few others had 1.5. Joe Thomas either had 2.5 or 3.5, I forgot, but that **** about him giving up no sacks was a lie.

Davis gave up 2, Gurode 0.5, and Columbo gave up 5.
                                Cool. How'd you get those stats?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information