Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The biggest aspect of the deal, in relation to a "1st round pick vs. Roy Williams", that is being over looked is the fact that with a 1st rounder, you get (usually) a high quality player who you don't have to pay a lot for. DeMarcus signed a contract that will give him about 2.5m a season. He's still playing under that contract. Sure, top 10 contracts have gotten out of hand, and top 5 are completely and utterly insane, but after that you get a chance for a premium talent playing at relative bargain basement price.

If we could have somehow guaranteed that a young WR taken in the late 1st would have been a good player, it would have been 5x as attractive for us, because we could have that player for 4 or 5 years at ~1.5m per year. Of course, getting that guarantee is the hard part, and it usually takes a few years just to know whether he is going to be what you're looking for in the first place. But the biggest value to 1st rounders is the fact that you get good players for cheap. You can only have so many big money contracts on one team, no matter how you cook the books, and that is why I'm not a big fan of this move. Roy will immediately be making 8 or 9mil a season. That is too much to swallow.
    Originally posted by 21ST
    He was protecting his self
    Originally posted by tjsunstein
    From what? His leg?
    Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
    That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
    "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• I Like It!

We paid a for a very good player. Imagine if Roy Williams had a good QB throwing to him! Harrington and Kitna are not pro bowlers. This is a good trade now, a year from now and three years from now.

I have to give JJ props in the accounting department. He will find a way to keep Ware and Canty. We may let Columbo go, but I can live with it because we have Free and he has looked good in preseason.

90's and NOW:

90's=Aikman,Emmitt,Irving,Novaceck,Harper,No backup RB,KMart(wr)

Now=Romo,Barber,TO,Williams,Witten,F.Jones,Crayton

Their are alot of similarities. Now they just need to put it together.

The multiple draft picks left over after the trade will fill in the holes. Also, don't discaount free agents coming to Dallas for a run at a ring!

Comment

• Originally posted by Modano View Post
        Yeah, I agree. Considering we have a ton ofr draft picks we just gave our 1st for Roy. Considering also that we could've spent that pick on a WR it's a good move because we got an hell of a talent that doesn't need 3 years to develope and really wants to play for this team. He said that having a star on the side of his helmet has always been his dream.

Anyway, where have you been? With all those bad things happening we missed your positivity, man!
        I took my family to Disneyland. :D

Guess who I ran into at the USC bookstore? Rey Maualuga. Super cool dude.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
          The biggest aspect of the deal, in relation to a "1st round pick vs. Roy Williams", that is being over looked is the fact that with a 1st rounder, you get (usually) a high quality player who you don't have to pay a lot for. DeMarcus signed a contract that will give him about 2.5m a season. He's still playing under that contract. Sure, top 10 contracts have gotten out of hand, and top 5 are completely and utterly insane, but after that you get a chance for a premium talent playing at relative bargain basement price.

If we could have somehow guaranteed that a young WR taken in the late 1st would have been a good player, it would have been 5x as attractive for us, because we could have that player for 4 or 5 years at ~1.5m per year. Of course, getting that guarantee is the hard part, and it usually takes a few years just to know whether he is going to be what you're looking for in the first place. But the biggest value to 1st rounders is the fact that you get good players for cheap. You can only have so many big money contracts on one team, no matter how you cook the books, and that is why I'm not a big fan of this move. Roy will immediately be making 8 or 9mil a season. That is too much to swallow.
          That is sound logic, but I've learned that Jerry Jones knows how to hold onto a good thing when he sees it. It makes me sleep well at night. ;)

Comment

• Okay, well I have to say I've done my best to stay away from watching ESPN, NFL Network and listening to any talk radio as that relates to the Cowboys this week. I have even not been reading too many posts on NFLDC this week as well. I've needed the time to evaluate this past week's game as well as the injuries, Adam Jones suspension and Roy Williams trade.

The Romo situation is one I'm not sure how to take. I feel that if he sits for the next three games, we have a good chance of going 2-1. And going into the bye week being 6-3. Granted I thought we'd be more like 8-1, but 6-3 would be solid with all things considered. I know that other QB's like Favre have played through an injury like this, but if I remember correctly Favre wasn't himself. So I'm a little torn here and would almost rather air on the side of caution.

Felix Jones injury- This is probably a little more damaging than the Romo injury. Anytime you have an injury like a hamstring injury, it's not an easy one to come back from. They claim he's out two weeks, but I could see this ending up more like 4-5 weeks. This changes our offense a lot and I could see Garrett throwing the ball a lot more. Me personally, I'd like to see Tashard Choice get 3-4 carries a game during this time. He doesn't give you what Jones does, but I think he's adequate to spell Barber from time to time.

Adam "Don't call me Pacman" Jones suspension- Well nobody can say they didn't see this as a possibility. He was starting to get his legs under him at CB and it really hurts us. Even though I feel Jenkins will play well, he's still a rookie and OC's are going to target him in the pass game. We'll need to roll a safety over to help him and hopefully this doesn't leave us to susceptible to balls down the middle. Adam really hasn't helped out our return game this year, so I don't believe it'll be hard to replace him there.

Special Teams meltdown- Special Teams has been the main achilles of this team all year long. Even with bringing Keith Davis back, the coverage units have been terrible. And then the lapse on punt coverage in OT on Sunday that also led to McBriar being out for the season. I'm hoping that Roy will come back and be put back into ST play. He was making some plays against Philly before he was injured.

Roy Williams Trade- Well I was all for this trade at the draft and before the season started. However, I really seeing this stunt the growth of Miles Austin, which is a shame because he's showing promise. Don't get me wrong, the idea of Williams & Owens on the outside, Crayton playing the slot and Witten at TE is a DEADLY, DEADLY offense. I just feel this almost makes Austin the odd man out. When will he get on the field? Because we typically don't do 4 WR sets since we have Witten. And the way the OL played this past week, we need to keep a RB in the backfield. I guess this is good issue to have. I do see the long term plan here, Roy will be the replacement for TO.

All in all with all the issues this past week, I strongly feel that it's not as bad as it appears. We just need to remain focused and not let all this hoopla get to us. I mean we did lose a game and some players(other than McBriar none for the season), but at the same time we didn't lose any ground on the Giants & Redskins since they both crapped the bed like we did. Let's remember that the NFL season is a marathon and not a sprint. The last few seasons we've fell flat the last few games of the season. I'd rather see us slip in the first half than the second half.

Comment

• Ty Law in Dallas?? Hmmmmm

Five-time Pro Bowler Ty Law, 34, would love to play for a Super Bowl contender that needs some veteran help at cornerback. The Cowboys happen to have only one healthy, non-suspended cornerback with any starting experience.

Law, who started every game for Kansas City last season, mentioned Dallas and Green Bay as potential good fits for him to NFL Network's Adam Schefter. He said he isn't looking for a lot of money, but just wants to "feel respected."

Asked about the idea of playing in Dallas, Law said: "That would be a great opportunity, to play for a contender. I just don't want to play for anybody. I want to play for a contender, where I have the chance to go to the Super Bowl. I can help Dallas. I have the experience, I have been there before and I can help get a team over the edge. I'm not going to be a weak link for anybody and I'd love to try to provide some leadership for Dallas."

Law has been working out in Florida and is reportedly in discussions with the Dolphins. He said he would be ready to play right away.
              http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/ar....html#comments

What do you guys think for the vet minimum?

Originally posted by Scott Wright
              I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Originally posted by leroyisgod View Post
                Roy Williams Trade- Well I was all for this trade at the draft and before the season started. However, I really seeing this stunt the growth of Miles Austin, which is a shame because he's showing promise. Don't get me wrong, the idea of Williams & Owens on the outside, Crayton playing the slot and Witten at TE is a DEADLY, DEADLY offense. I just feel this almost makes Austin the odd man out. When will he get on the field? Because we typically don't do 4 WR sets since we have Witten. And the way the OL played this past week, we need to keep a RB in the backfield. I guess this is good issue to have. I do see the long term plan here, Roy will be the replacement for TO.
                See that's the only part where I disagree, if you can play you can play, I don't think there is a such thing as stunting his growth as a WR by signing Roy, Miles can still play his butt off in 3 and 4 Wr sets and prove he can be a future #2 WR on this team...He has been on the field more then Crayton lately and out producing him, if that continues he will see more snaps out of the slot because his deep speed could be deadly.

Just because he's performing well doesn't mean we can't address the position, had we drafted Eddie Royal or Desean Jackson they would be starting over Miles also so this is no different, he's already had his growth as a WR and knows the system well, one new WR won't stop that from happening if he continues to practice and work hard...Only thing we might see is a dip in his production but certainly not in his growth as a WR.

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend

Exactly the type of pickup we should be looking for if we need help in the short term at CB. It gives Jenkins enough gametime where he can get used to the situation while Law provides a safety blanket in case Jenkins starts getting abused when he's in there. In the same way I thought the Zach Thomas signing was a good one. He's too old to play all downs every day. Which gives our backups a chance to get on the field more often(bad luck about Burnett though)

Bring us some Ty Law... Yes PLEASE~!

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post

Honestly, I'm mad that he's not already here. I wanted Parcells to get him here... him being a Parcells guy and all... he might be a bit too old, but then again, Aaron Glenn had a little left in the tank for us.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                      I took my family to Disneyland. :D

Guess who I ran into at the USC bookstore? Rey Maualuga. Super cool dude.
                      Did you tell him to slip to the second round because we need him?

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

• Originally posted by ricowboy View Post
                        We paid a for a very good player. Imagine if Roy Williams had a good QB throwing to him! Harrington and Kitna are not pro bowlers. This is a good trade now, a year from now and three years from now.

I have to give JJ props in the accounting department. He will find a way to keep Ware and Canty. We may let Columbo go, but I can live with it because we have Free and he has looked good in preseason.

90's and NOW:

90's=Aikman,Emmitt,Irving,Novaceck,Harper,No backup RB,KMart(wr)

Now=Romo,Barber,TO,Williams,Witten,F.Jones,Crayton

Their are alot of similarities. Now they just need to put it together.

The multiple draft picks left over after the trade will fill in the holes. Also, don't discaount free agents coming to Dallas for a run at a ring!
                        Huge difference between the dominating team of the 90's and the team built now...the offensive line back then was far far far(I can't say far enough time) greater then the overrated thrown together job you have inplace right now. The offensive line now isn't horrible, but its overrated(by non-cowboy fans obviously as I see most Cowboy fans want to upgrade the line) and not even in the same school district as the 90's Oline let alone the same class.

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post

I've heard his price has come down, but do you really think it's going to come down to league minimum for a vet?

Comment

• Law does seem like it makes a little too much sense, again I'm not sure exactly what his price is but I think I remember his saying from his own mouth "I'm not asking for alot of money I just want a chance to win a ring" and over here he gets a chance to just show the rookies the ropes as he does have experience in playing corner in a 3-4.

Thing is it probably would take a minute to learn the defense, either way Ty is a guy who knows the ropes, he won't be asked to follow around a teams #1 WR on an island nor will he have to play 3 downs, but if he's wanting to come to Dallas then certainly we should offer some sort of 1 year deal...I don't want to get my hopes up though.

Comment

• Leroy just to touch on the Romo/Brett thing...DMN actually posted this up. Farve played well with his fracture.

So Brett Favre told Romo about how he played with a fractured thumb in 2003, wearing a splint to protect him for the final nine games of the season.

How did Favre do in those games? He had 19 touchdown passes and 12 interceptions and the Packers went 7-2 to close the season and make the playoffs. He had two four-touchdown games and two three-ionterception games.

Comment

• Put me on the law bandwagon....I was on the bus with D way back when parcells shoulda taken a shot at him.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information