Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's tough for Barber to impose his will on the opposing team when he gets hit at or behind the line on almost every play.

Yes, this even happened against the Rams.

If the O-line doesn't man up in general, it won't matter what style of offense we are rolling with. Run or pass, we will fail.

Comment

• Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
      It's tough for Barber to impose his will on the opposing team when he gets hit at or behind the line on almost every play.

If the O-line doesn't man up in general, it won't matter what style of offense we are rolling with. Run or pass, we will fail.
      Our run blocking, just like last year is very sporadic...we're much better in pass protection. I've said it before, Barber is getting to see what it was like to be Julius Jones last year...the holes just arent there. Go see what Julius has done this season when he actually has a hole to run through. He's been playing great football. But anyway, back to Barber...this blocking problem still doesnt make up for the fact that his fumbling problem has become very evident w/ the increased work load. If you guys remember, BP wouldnt even let him carry the football his rookie year because, he was fumbling everything. This is really going to need to be corrected, we cant have our starting RB leading the league in fumbles, which he currently is.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
      http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
      KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
        Our run blocking, just like last year is very sporadic...we're much better in pass protection. I've said it before, Barber is getting to see what it was like to be Julius Jones last year...the holes just arent there. Go see what Julius has done this season when he actually has a hole to run through. He's been playing great football. But anyway, back to Barber...this blocking problem still doesnt make up for the fact that his fumbling problem has become very evident w/ the increased work load. If you guys remember, BP wouldnt even let him carry the football his rookie year because, he was fumbling everything. This is really going to need to be corrected, we cant have our starting RB leading the league in fumbles, which he currently is.
        That just proves to me how great a RB Barber is because of the things he's doing this year that Julius couldn't do last year. Julius has no vision and falls down on first contact. Without holes to run through, he's a complete non-factor. Barber makes gains out of would be losses. Hard to blame a guy for fumbles when he plays with the most heart on the team.

Comment

• It's a complete fallacy that he has no vision...that was just an excuse people came up w/ while he was here...but, in reality he was continually getting tackled right at the line. Again, he has been playing great football in Seattle and his vision looks absolutely fine. That was never the problem...our line just isnt all that great at run blocking and that makes Marion the better fit, given his style and his ability to move laterally and creat his own space. Julius really isnt a bad back at all...just a bad fit here really. Also, he's the type of back that needs time to feel out a defense...just like his brother, they're featured backs that need 20+ carries to really be effective. Neither is the same when used in a dual type backfield.

Also, the fumbles cant all be forgiven...He has three in the last three games and he is losing them in one on one tackling situations, it's not like he's carrying 5 guys on his back when he loses it.
          Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 10-22-2008, 07:49 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• you have the horses to run the rock.

the problem is running blocking is all about repetition. you can't just throw big bodies back there and expect them to run block well without practicing it a lot or gelling. and that's Garrett's fault.

they need more reps run blocking. and a disciplinarian on offense that will get on their ass when they miss a block. this team is just too coddled honestly.

as for Wade taking over for the defense, I see not much of a difference. its always been a Wade Phillips defense. thats what Wade does. his pass coverages have always been terrible. ask any chargers fan.

And for all the love he gets for "turning the defense around", i don't get it. not at any single time in his tenior has Wade Phillip's defense been ranked higher than Parcells. It was ranked 9th last year (BP's defense was #2 in the league before Ellis went out for the year), and this year middle of the pack. He was supposed to fix the pass D, yet it was still not too difficult to throw on Dallas's defense. He fixed nothing. He just added window dressing with some improved sack numbers. Sack numbers that improved moreso bc Ware improved as a player than bc of a scheme change.

More importantly, Dallas's run defense was always lights out. This year its average. I think that should be your biggest concern.

Comment

• A little off-topic, but anyone else feel that the promises of more pressure and better run defending with the 3-4 have been nothing but false hopes and illusions? When Parcells came in and created this defensive personnel, we were great against the run, but always lacked pressure from our LB's. So we go out, we use three first round picks on LB's, and granted we got arguably the best defensive player in the league in the process, but our defense is still being abused.

We can make the case all day, and argue until our fingers are tired of typing on how good pass rush provides better coverage, or vice versa, but at this point we're getting neither from our defense. What's the deal? We have so much invested in our defense and it has given us little to nothing this year. The disappointment is becoming unbearable at this point.

Comment

• Well not sure about all that Moth, Julius apparently went off on Mike Holmgren because he isn't happy.

Who knows, maybe holmgren turned him into a robot?

I still think Julius was the problem. Barber is avg. 4.2 YPC and Felix 8.7 or something like that. It has more to do with momentum. When the team is clicking the offense is flowing and everyone is charged up, we can run block with the best of them.

Lately we've been playing at a slower tempo and it seems like the O-line loses their edge when everything doesn't go smooth. Pathetic, yet true.

Comment

• Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
                  A little off-topic, but anyone else feel that the promises of more pressure and better run defending with the 3-4 have been nothing but false hopes and illusions? When Parcells came in and created this defensive personnel, we were great against the run, but always lacked pressure from our LB's. So we go out, we use three first round picks on LB's, and granted we got arguably the best defensive player in the league in the process, but our defense is still being abused.

We can make the case all day, and argue until our fingers are tired of typing on how good pass rush provides better coverage, or vice versa, but at this point we're getting neither from our defense. What's the deal? We have so much invested in our defense and it has given us little to nothing this year. The disappointment is becoming unbearable at this point.
                  Well Moth, you'll be happy to know that Wade said we are finally going to start playing more man to man.

If you noticed, our pressure actually looked decent against the rams, we just got abused in the run game.

Wade also said a majority of the problems are occurring in Zone coverages.

He said specifically that Jenkins looked a lot better in bump-n-run mode and that we will see more of it starting this weekend.

I still think the problem is that our D-line sucks. All good defense have a BEAST d line. If we have a good D-line, our secondary would all look like studs. The OLB's would look even better. Think if Ware was playing behind Jamal Williams and Luis Castillo?

Lets hope now that wade has opened his eyes and figured out that 12 yards cushions are not the answer, that things will get a little better.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                    you have the horses to run the rock.

the problem is running blocking is all about repetition. you can't just throw big bodies back there and expect them to run block well without practicing it a lot or gelling. and that's Garrett's fault.

they need more reps run blocking. and a disciplinarian on offense that will get on their ass when they miss a block. this team is just too coddled honestly.

as for Wade taking over for the defense, I see not much of a difference. its always been a Wade Phillips defense. thats what Wade does. his pass coverages have always been terrible. ask any chargers fan.

And for all the love he gets for "turning the defense around", i don't get it. not at any single time in his tenior has Wade Phillip's defense been ranked higher than Parcells. It was ranked 9th last year (BP's defense was #2 in the league before Ellis went out for the year), and this year middle of the pack. He was supposed to fix the pass D, yet it was still not too difficult to throw on Dallas's defense. He fixed nothing. He just added window dressing with some improved sack numbers. Sack numbers that improved moreso bc Ware improved as a player than bc of a scheme change.

More importantly, Dallas's run defense was always lights out. This year its average. I think that should be your biggest concern.
                    I'm all for Garrett the head coach but, it has become evident that he is clueless at calling plays. He never establishes a proper rythm in the passing or the running game. He'll go from extreme to the next and force one or the other. If we had, I dont know, a Cam Cameron or just about any veteran offensive coord. out there. You would see an offense that is so much better than what we all are seeing now. Garrett doesnt know how to call balanced games, he doesnt work to his player's strengths, he doesnt know how to get everyone involved, he's not the greatest at drawing up the big play when it counts. This tends to happen with young coords. he's really not all that experienced and it hurts us. Any offensive coord. in the league probably drools at the sight of the Cowboys offensive talent and I def. think a great deal of the coords. out there would do a better job than Garrett. I want a veteran calling our plays.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

Well not sure about all that Moth, Julius apparently went off on Mike Holmgren because he isn't happy.

Who knows, maybe holmgren turned him into a robot?

I still think Julius was the problem. Barber is avg. 4.2 YPC and Felix 8.7 or something like that. It has more to do with momentum. When the team is clicking the offense is flowing and everyone is charged up, we can run block with the best of them.

Lately we've been playing at a slower tempo and it seems like the O-line loses their edge when everything doesn't go smooth. Pathetic, yet true.
                      I havent heard anything about him not being happy but, I was saying that he is playing great football. Angry or not, he is in a better situation. Our offensive line is doing the exact same thing this year and that is not letting our backs get a chance. Marion has been hit right at the line a lot this year and that was the argument I was trying to make last year w/ Julius carrying the football...it's the same case. With better blocking or maybe I'll say, more consistant. Julius has returned to form so to speak. Our run blocking is just not that impressive...we're big but, we're not built to run, it's not our line's strength.

As for our YPC, Marion was averaging about 3 yards per carry in the previous three weeks leading up to the Rams game and was only sitting at 4 entering the game. He's had a lot of bad peformances and a great deal of that is on the line's sporadic performances. As for Felix...I dont know exactly what is going on there. He is making a lot of guys miss but, his holes have been there for the most part...could be the plays themselves or the changing of backs, I'm not exactly sure but, Felix's holes have been there for the most part...so, I'm not complaining there.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

It's tough for Barber to impose his will on the opposing team when he gets hit at or behind the line on almost every play.

exactly. it doesn't matter what garrett is calling. on most of the plays proctor is screwing something up. and now flozell it seems has no strength in his arm and is getting beat.

it's incredibly disappointing to think proctor is the best guy to fill that spot. they should've kept fabini if those other guys were that bad.

defensively. i'd try carpenter at olb in place of greg ellis. ellis can't defend the run or pass, and he can't even beat fb and tes on his pass rush. plus, it's forcing ware into coverage more often.

oh, and never ever have henry/bradie/ellis/roy, non-hamlin safety on the same side again. rams said they saw something on tape that avery scored his td on. there was absolutely nothing special about what they did. other than all 4 are slow and can't cover a lick.
                        http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80bdc0f5

overall i don't see how they can improve without newman/pac, spencer, and watkins getting on the field. just gotta hope ratliff/ware have a great day like they did against arizona. both didn't have really good days against the rams. ratliff seemed to run himself out of the play, ware got controlled on run plays.

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                          It's a complete fallacy that he has no vision...that was just an excuse people came up w/ while he was here...but, in reality he was continually getting tackled right at the line. Again, he has been playing great football in Seattle and his vision looks absolutely fine. That was never the problem...our line just isnt all that great at run blocking and that makes Marion the better fit, given his style and his ability to move laterally and creat his own space. Julius really isnt a bad back at all...just a bad fit here really. Also, he's the type of back that needs time to feel out a defense...just like his brother, they're featured backs that need 20+ carries to really be effective. Neither is the same when used in a dual type backfield.

Also, the fumbles cant all be forgiven...He has three in the last three games and he is losing them in one on one tackling situations, it's not like he's carrying 5 guys on his back when he loses it.
                          Sorry but I really don't think JJ had any type of vision, he made some great plays when he got up to speed and had a hole, but tell me you don't remember countless plays of him running right up Gurode or Davis' back because he ran full speed immediately? Barber has been making some longer plays this year which is what I wanted to see, he doesn't have that long speed so it's all the more fun to watch when it happens.

As far as Brian Stewart, anyone know what his actual job is now? He doesn't call plays anymore, Wade is pretty much the DC now, so what's Stewart do besides have a title next to his name and run the meetings.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                          I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                            Sorry but I really don't think JJ had any type of vision, he made some great plays when he got up to speed and had a hole, but tell me you don't remember countless plays of him running right up Gurode or Davis' back because he ran full speed immediately? Barber has been making some longer plays this year which is what I wanted to see, he doesn't have that long speed so it's all the more fun to watch when it happens.

As far as Brian Stewart, anyone know what his actual job is now? He doesn't call plays anymore, Wade is pretty much the DC now, so what's Stewart do besides have a title next to his name and run the meetings.
                            Sit on the bench and look like a dejected player like he did in the rams game. So pathetic. He was actually sitting on the bench like a *****.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post

oh please, save the parcells lovefest. this team is better than anything parcells ever fielded here.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...s/dal/2006.htm
                              the teams that that 06 faced when ellis was healthy included the texans and the titans with vince young starting his first game. a pathetic redskins team led by mark brunell

they started giving up huge points because anthony henry got hurt. and teams torched the james/roy combo. team only won because romo played great.

http://www.blueandsilverreport.com/2008/05/11/

not sure where you get his defense hasn't been better than parcell's ever here. unless you're using parcell's first defensive team when he got here and had a #1 ranked defense.

philips managed to do better despite losing ferguson in the first game, not having ellis at the beginning of the year, and having reeves at cb.

ware did better because philips didn't have a stubborn refusal to not use the nickel despite teams going to a 3 wr set.

the run defense has clearly suffered with wade, but that's not due to his coaching/scheme. it's not having jason ferguson at NT. got hurt last year, then this year they released him instead of tank, really stupid move. he seemed to do perfectly fine having jamal williams in san diego

i don't expect parcells to have a better defense than philips just because he had to rebuild the disaster, but don't claim that philips didn't have a better defense than parcells did.

i don't know where the stat is, but i'm pretty sure the cowboys gave up fewer big plays last year than ever before. he solved the james/roy problem.

Comment

• I've always been a Kosier "hater" but watching the offensive line without him is making me eat my words. Their best game came against the Packers, the only game Kosier played. Without Kosier they're not the same, especially in the running game, because Kosier is very good at pulling and reaching the second level. Procter is a BIG liability. He misses a lot of blocks and he doesn't generate any push. Kosier gets push back while pass-protecting every now and then but he's waaaay better than Procter, and we're really missing him.

It's a shame Spencer got hurt. I'm sure that if he was healthy he would be the starter right now.

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information