Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sadly, I'm in the "we're going to get beat" camp. I would ecstatic to be proved wrong. :)

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend
      Through the mid-point how do you guys feel about Barber so far in a feature role? He doesn't look tired to me in the 4th quarter at all evidenced by his 70 yd catch in the STL game at the 2 minute warning in which he had to make a few guys miss...Obviously, he's gonna have a little more kick in the 4th quarter if he is on his 8th carry instead of his 20th but you could say that for any RB, he has still run just as hard late in games as he has early on and that was a legitimate concern for most people.
      Portis plays like a beast and seems to get better as the game goes on.

And when you count that Marion's Average is a half yard less then it's been the last two years. We don't look anywhere near as strong offensively down the stretch(where games are won)... I still don't agree with the decision.

Comment

• Originally posted by shane_man View Post
        Portis plays like a beast and seems to get better as the game goes on.

And when you count that Marion's Average is a half yard less then it's been the last two years. We don't look anywhere near as strong offensively down the stretch(where games are won)... I still don't agree with the decision.

With Brad Johnson at QB and teams stacking the box what do you expect, and anybody going from a timeshare to a complete starting role their YPC will decrease, that's like giving Felix the feature back role next year and expecting his YPC to stay as high as it was sharing carries with Barber.

Don't agree with what decision?

Originally posted by Scott Wright
        I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• In one of my fantasy leagues, I picked up the NY Giants Defense because I know they're gonna spank our fannies and send us home crying.

Comment

With Brad Johnson at QB and teams stacking the box what do you expect, and anybody going from a timeshare to a complete starting role their YPC will decrease, that's like giving Felix the feature back role next year and expecting his YPC to stay as high as it was sharing carries with Barber.

Don't agree with what decision?
            He was averaging 4.0 YPC before Brad Johnson got the starting nod.

I never expected Marion to have the same average as he did last year(but I assume the coaching staff felt that it was a possibility). And that was the basis for arguing against the idea last year and now this year. You are taking a massive attacking weapon and wasting him trying to run down teams in the early portions of games when you can get by with basically ANY back. It's the back end of games where converting plays and making stuff happen becomes important. And that's where a Marion Barber who has already had 15+ carries becomes muted.

Comment

• Originally posted by shane_man View Post
              He was averaging 4.0 YPC before Brad Johnson got the starting nod.

I never expected Marion to have the same average as he did last year(but I assume the coaching staff felt that it was a possibility). And that was the basis for arguing against the idea last year and now this year. You are taking a massive attacking weapon and wasting him trying to run down teams in the early portions of games when you can get by with basically ANY back. It's the back end of games where converting plays and making stuff happen becomes important. And that's where a Marion Barber who has already had 15+ carries becomes muted.
              That was kinda my whole point, you realize the 70 yard catch he had was with 2 minutes left in the STL game right? At that point that game was pretty much over so it woulda been real easy to get a few lame duck runs and go in with an L, yet he made one of the longest plays of his career after being a workhorse for the entire game.

So why does that get overlooked?

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                That was kinda my whole point, you realize the 70 yard catch he had was with 2 minutes left in the STL game right? At that point that game was pretty much over so it woulda been real easy to get a few lame duck runs and go in with an L, yet he made one of the longest plays of his career after being a workhorse for the entire game.

I think it was the Cardinals game...

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

Come back to me when it becomes a regular occurence. And it's not a passing play.

Not that I expect anyone to take notice of what I have been arguing for the longest time... But again I Don't want him going over roughly 16 carries. I think by that point he's lost most of his ability to punish defenders. He can bowl pricks over at that point but it's not something I expect anymore.

So far this season He's had 16 touches in the 21-30 ATT's this year for a Rushing average of 2.6 yards.

His stats from touches 17+ are as follows

v Philly 2 ATT 7 yards
                  v Green Bay 11 ATT 46 yards
                  v Cinci 7 ATT 24 yards
                  v Arizona 1 ATT -2 yards
                  v St Louis 2 ATT 21 yards
                  v Tampa Bay 9 ATT 17 yards

32 ATT 113 yards for a grand total of 3.5 YPC(less then his overall average and a yard better then his 20+ total)

All I have ever said was that I would prefer if anyone else opened up the game for us. Not because Marion's bad. But that I would prefer him as healthy as an ox when the game matters later on. When he can punish slightly tired defenders as opposed to guys who have just stepped onto a football field ready to deliver punishment.

My optimum would be that Choice opens the first and third quarter(unless we need a quick score in the 3rd) and Barber and Felix split carries depending on what is working. I'm not a big fan of taking your battering ram and trying to break a brand new Oak door. I would much prefer to take that door on when it's a bit more weathered.

Comment

• Well with this loss we see the same thing that has plagued us since these players have been starters. Teams getting Bradie and our SS in coverage and attacking them on third down.

Henry is a decent corner...but I'm not sure if he even deserves to be a player in our top 3 right now. I'd keep him in on our nickel/dime package but other than that no thanks.

Jenkins has great feet but he is guessing out there....noone has attempted a double move on him yet but watch out. So dissappointed to watch him let ward get into the endzone...I understand we were down...but where is the heart?

Bradie James is a two down backer....I'm sorry but unless it's a running situation get him the hell off of the field. His lack of progression in 3 seasons in the passing game is sickening. Hell even the packers take Hawk off the field in passing situations...IK Henry not being able to move inside is hurting...but atleast Carp should be in there in passing situations. We know he isn't physical but if it's 3rd and 7....and he gets the tackel 5 yards down the field we win the battle....stuff like this makes me question our coaching staff.

On the other side....how about Martellus progression on the field. He is blocking good and really playing well in the passing game. He has the highest DVOA of any TE in the game...and sure that comes from the talent around him more than his....but he is making more of an impact as a rookie as Fasano did the whole time he was here. I've been happy with his play.

Anthony Spencer is backing up that preseason hype. Everytime he is on the field he is being disruptive. You know how sometimes Ware disappears....(albeit from taking on 2 guys and a chip) but this doesn't happen to Spencer...he runs down plays and is a force every snap. I hope he stays healthy...he is my favorite defensive player out there along with Hamlin.

Speaking of Hamlin....I hope to god we get ourself a good safety in this draft. This is a VERY talented Safety class...and if we allow Hamlin to be out there playing not covering up other deficiency's he's going to go to the next level. He is the only player on our defense that seems to let people know when they screwed up.

Scandrick is a stud and love him in the nickel....he has been more NFL ready than Jenkins...and that awesome. He is another player who leaves it all out on the field.

Comment

• I gotta eat crow on Orlando Scandrick. I didn't think he was this ready or this talented even. I thought the 2nd round projections were totally off. I thought getting him in Round 5 was great, but I didn't expect him to show so much polish. He makes Jenkins look like the 5th rounder.

Jenkins got burnt one too many times today and that probably got him down, but he never should have let up on that Ward TD. No excuses. I expected him to be physical on the field and he didn't show it then. He's also lucky Plax dropped that TD or it would've been a worse day. His saving grace was his pick 6 which was sick because he was so far off the WR and still closed in on the pass from Eli.

Nice to see a Spencer sighting. Here's hoping he's more than just a flash in the pan. Remember how good people thought Bobby Carpenter was after the Seattle playoff game. hahahahahaha.... that wasn't be btw. hahahaha.

Bradie James looked like a clown out there. Running into our own defensive players and taking them out of the play. On more than one occassion he took out a couple of own guys trying to make a play. Anyone who sticks up for him going forward, loses my respect. That guy is a nincompoop.

Marcus Spears is still a chump. Ratliff ain't a 3-4 NT, so stop saying otherwise.
                      Last edited by D-Unit; 11-03-2008, 04:04 AM.

Comment

• In this weeks edition of "Why Wade Phillips is an idiot", Coach Wade decides to give his team a huge break during the bye week and require only minimum practice.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/ar...-workouts.html

Thanks Wade! Glad to know you're having the guys do all they can to ensure a playoff birth this year.

I wonder what the Giants did on their bye week? I bet they practiced.

Comment

• Anybody watching MN Countdown, showing some film of Kris Jenkins and how dominant he has been in their 3-4, it's a huge difference what can happen in this type of D when you have someone like him clogging the middle beating double teams to sack the QB on passing plays, and the Jets don't even have the athletes we do.

If we had someone like him on the inside, Ratliff and Canty would wreck havoc on the ends and Spencer and Ware would have a field day...I see the same things with Shaun Rogers, but I'm preaching to the choir here because most of us have wanted one for some time, it's just amazing to watch some film and see what the D looks like when you get penetration up the middle.

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                            Anybody watching MN Countdown, showing some film of Kris Jenkins and how dominant he has been in their 3-4, it's a huge difference what can happen in this type of D when you have someone like him clogging the middle beating double teams to sack the QB on passing plays, and the Jets don't even have the athletes we do.

If we had someone like him on the inside, Ratliff and Canty would wreck havoc on the ends and Spencer and Ware would have a field day...I see the same things with Shaun Rogers, but I'm preaching to the choir here because most of us have wanted one for some time, it's just amazing to watch some film and see what the D looks like when you get penetration up the middle.
                            What a dream it would be to land Albert Haynesworth huh? LMAO. I wish.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                              What a dream it would be to land Albert Haynesworth huh? LMAO. I wish.

With the money we have committed and Ware coming up, I doubt we could do this.

Can anyone produce our cap numbers for the next several years?
                              In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Do you think we're going to sign Deangelo Hall?

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information