This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to see Hatcher in there.

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
    Albert Camus

Comment

• Originally posted by Burns336
      i think spears is doing just fine... he plays in a 3-4, hes not going to provide that much pressure. hes in there to take away the run and ive seen him come up big on multiple occasions this year. I like how we use a rotation but i think the starters should stay as they are.

Henry regressed yesterday, i thought after he had a good game against the colts and then showed up in the game after that, we wouldnt have any more problems, but that was pretty bad play by him on the TD.. The endzone is so short and he saw plax was going for the corner, i would think it would be natural for him to turn around and gaurd the jump ball instead of face gaurding? oh well.
      The lack of pass rush is only a relatively small part of it, Spears is also playing pretty poorly against the run.

Comment

• I actually forgot to mention this. Marcus Spears has been a big disappointment so far. He's nothing more than an average 3-4 DE. You don't invest the 16th pick in the draft on an average DE. Thats simply not acceptable. Right now Luis Castillo is light years ahead of him, and Canty is definately better than him.

Id sub him out for Hatcher or Ratliff. They have both come up huge this year and are excellent pass rushers. I think they'd give your defense more spark in pass rushing situations, Spears simply is not getting good pressure on 1st and 2nd down. Like I said before, I wouldn't be surprised if he is your version of William Joseph. A guy with all the physical gifts in the world, but for some unexplainable reason, can't translate it on the field.

Another note, the complaints about the ILBs blitzes. Their lack of pressure isn't necessary a testament to the ILBs, I think its moreso a testament to the NT position.

Ferguson is a very serviceable NT against the run, but he is not a presence in the middle like Hampton or Williams. He doesn't have to be doubled all the time, and because of that, the ILB blitz doesn't come unblocked. He needs to do a better job occuping linemen so his backers can come unblocked. Thats the real issue with the ILB blitz.

Comment

• I hate to call you out, D-Unit, but you are delusional if you think that Henry has been playing badly. I just have to shake my head at how clueless people can be sometimes. Corners get beat from time to time, that's what they do. On the Burress TD, Henry had perfect coverage. There is not a defensive back in the league that could have, or would have, played that one iota better. If you want more proof of Henry's stellar play, you should check out KC Joyner's latest article on ESPN.com. He has Henry ranked as the #1 most under-rated CB in the entire league, and shows his metrics for the year, which happen to be near the top of the league. You should know better.

Btw, BBD, I composed a huge post in response to your game-breakdown, but my comp wiped it out, and I'm too depressed to re-do it right now. It was good, though.
          Originally posted by 21ST
          He was protecting his self
          Originally posted by tjsunstein
          From what? His leg?
          Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
          That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
          "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
            I hate to call you out, D-Unit, but you are delusional if you think that Henry has been playing badly. I just have to shake my head at how clueless people can be sometimes. Corners get beat from time to time, that's what they do. On the Burress TD, Henry had perfect coverage. There is not a defensive back in the league that could have, or would have, played that one iota better. If you want more proof of Henry's stellar play, you should check out KC Joyner's latest article on ESPN.com. He has Henry ranked as the #1 most under-rated CB in the entire league, and shows his metrics for the year, which happen to be near the top of the league. You should know better.

Btw, BBD, I composed a huge post in response to your game-breakdown, but my comp wiped it out, and I'm too depressed to re-do it right now. It was good, though.
            Can you give me a quick breakdown? Sounds like its time for a new PC too.

Comment

• [quote="bigbluedefense"]
              Originally posted by DMWSackMachine

Or to buy a mac instead of a pc :D

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

I hate to call you out, D-Unit, but you are delusional if you think that Henry has been playing badly. I just have to shake my head at how clueless people can be sometimes. Corners get beat from time to time, that's what they do. On the Burress TD, Henry had perfect coverage. There is not a defensive back in the league that could have, or would have, played that one iota better. If you want more proof of Henry's stellar play, you should check out KC Joyner's latest article on ESPN.com. He has Henry ranked as the #1 most under-rated CB in the entire league, and shows his metrics for the year, which happen to be near the top of the league. You should know better.

He had perfect coverage, but he didn't turn to look for the ball. If he had he would have broken it up. That was a mistake.

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
                Albert Camus

Comment

• [quote="Modano"]
                  Originally posted by bigbluedefense
                  Originally posted by DMWSackMachine

Or to buy a mac instead of a pc :D
                  lol, I knew someone was gonna say that.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense
                    I actually forgot to mention this. Marcus Spears has been a big disappointment so far. He's nothing more than an average 3-4 DE. You don't invest the 16th pick in the draft on an average DE. Thats simply not acceptable. Right now Luis Castillo is light years ahead of him, and Canty is definately better than him.

Id sub him out for Hatcher or Ratliff. They have both come up huge this year and are excellent pass rushers. I think they'd give your defense more spark in pass rushing situations, Spears simply is not getting good pressure on 1st and 2nd down. Like I said before, I wouldn't be surprised if he is your version of William Joseph. A guy with all the physical gifts in the world, but for some unexplainable reason, can't translate it on the field.

Another note, the complaints about the ILBs blitzes. Their lack of pressure isn't necessary a testament to the ILBs, I think its moreso a testament to the NT position.

Ferguson is a very serviceable NT against the run, but he is not a presence in the middle like Hampton or Williams. He doesn't have to be doubled all the time, and because of that, the ILB blitz doesn't come unblocked. He needs to do a better job occuping linemen so his backers can come unblocked. Thats the real issue with the ILB blitz.
                    I agree about the NT issue. If we had a better pass rusher there, and that would make the entire defense better. That being said, this isn't a strong year for NTs in Free Agency or the draft, so unless we trade, I don't think that that's a fixable problem right now and we'll have to just work around it.

BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Staubach12
                      I actually forgot to mention this. Marcus Spears has been a big disappointment so far. He's nothing more than an average 3-4 DE. You don't invest the 16th pick in the draft on an average DE. Thats simply not acceptable. Right now Luis Castillo is light years ahead of him, and Canty is definately better than him.

I agree about the NT issue. If we had a better pass rusher there, and that would make the entire defense better. That being said, this isn't a strong year for NTs in Free Agency or the draft, so unless we trade, I don't think that that's a fixable problem right now and we'll have to just work around it.
                      Okeye could be a good 2nd round project. For a team with really no glaring weakness, like the Cowboys look at the moment, Okeye in the 2nd could be a nice pickup. He's only 19, room to grow, and if BP can coach him up, he'll have potential to be a NT for the future.

Im not saying he's the answer, but he's worth a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Staubach12

Okeye could be a good 2nd round project. For a team with really no glaring weakness, like the Cowboys look at the moment, Okeye in the 2nd could be a nice pickup. He's only 19, room to grow, and if BP can coach him up, he'll have potential to be a NT for the future.

I would be a fan of us getting him, but we also have bigger needs in round two depending on where we go in the 1st. I'm just not sure if we'd be able to pick him there with all the neeeds we have.

BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Staubach12

I would be a fan of us getting him, but we also have bigger needs in round two depending on where we go in the 1st. I'm just not sure if we'd be able to pick him there with all the neeeds we have.
                          You guys need oline naturally. I think Blaylock is out of reach at this point, his stock is soaring and alot of teams have the same concerns, so he'll be gone before you get the chance to nab him.

The next best crop of OGs are similar grade, and you can nab one of them in the 3rd, leaving the 2nd round open to an Okeye I think. Ive been very big on Manuel Ramirez, and he looks like he's a 3rd rounder at this moment. If you go LT in round 1, Okeye in round 2, and Ramirez in Round 3, I think that would be a very productive 1st 3 rounds.

Your other concern is FS I would assume. This can be had in later rounds as well, remember, this is a very good Safety class. Nelson, Landry, Griffin, and Merriweather are all going to be good players, and one of them will fall in this draft. Im predicting it will be Merriweather, and he'd be worth trading down for in let's say the 3rd round, even if you have to give up a 4th and a 5th for him.

1. LT
                          2. Okeye
                          3. Manuel Ramirez
                          3. Brandon Merriweather
                          4. Gone
                          5. Maybe Gone

I think you'd settle for that, that would be very productive in my eyes.

Comment

You guys need oline naturally. I think Blaylock is out of reach at this point, his stock is soaring and alot of teams have the same concerns, so he'll be gone before you get the chance to nab him.

The next best crop of OGs are similar grade, and you can nab one of them in the 3rd, leaving the 2nd round open to an Okeye I think. Ive been very big on Manuel Ramirez, and he looks like he's a 3rd rounder at this moment. If you go LT in round 1, Okeye in round 2, and Ramirez in Round 3, I think that would be a very productive 1st 3 rounds.

Your other concern is FS I would assume. This can be had in later rounds as well, remember, this is a very good Safety class. Nelson, Landry, Griffin, and Merriweather are all going to be good players, and one of them will fall in this draft. Im predicting it will be Merriweather, and he'd be worth trading down for in let's say the 3rd round, even if you have to give up a 4th and a 5th for him.

1. LT
                            2. Okeye
                            3. Manuel Ramirez
                            3. Brandon Merriweather
                            4. Gone
                            5. Maybe Gone

I don't know if go free safety. If we do, I think it will be early. I like the idea of going heavy on both sides of the line early.

Albert Camus

Comment

1. LT
                              2. Okeye
                              3. Manuel Ramirez
                              3. Brandon Merriweather
                              4. Gone
                              5. Maybe Gone

I really see WR as a bigger need than LT right now. BP really likes McQuistan, and Flo is playing alright so far, nothing great, but he's not playing terrible either. So, actually I could see that happening. Mine would be

1.WR
                              2.Okoye
                              3.Ramirez
                              3.Merriweather

BoneKrusher

Comment

* bent over waiting for spanking *

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information