This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnstonolb View Post
    How about Hamlin to SS and Pac or Jenkins to FS? 2009 that is.
    I've been an advocate for Hamlin to SS. I really think next season Henry makes the move to FS.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnstonolb View Post
      Do you think Watkins is done?

This is not his first.
      Yep. I think Watkins is done.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul View Post
        I'm really interested to see how Holland does against the PIT D-line this week. He looked okay enough against Seattle, but the steelers D-line is a completely different monster.
        Yeah, me too. Big test, but we're talking as if he's an unproven guy. Holland is a vet. I expect him to have a good game.

Comment

• Originally posted by JJJ888 View Post
          You can't just ask a player to make a position switch in the middle of the season...that's something that should happen during training camp.
          I understand that this is not the optimal situation, but we don't have that luxury. The question becomes, is Henry "out of position" at safety put you in a better spot than K. Davis getting virtually all the safety snaps?
          In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• I want Henry cut personally.

He doesn't even tackle well. Henry is always having guys break through his arm tackles or just trying to shove someone instead of tackling them.

He is past his prime and wont be worth a **** next year. He's also injury prone. I'm a bit surprised to see some people feeling like he is going to be our FS. I definitely wouldn't be comfortable with that.

Who knows, maybe Huff is available? Draft pick? I'd prefer not to but if a guy like Chung is available later than he should be than who knows.

I just don't want Henry on the team.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
              Ah... words from the wise....

I miss your contributions Trips.
              I got some more for you. Just spent the last couple of hours pouring over stats. Here's one that was striking:

Marion Barber, average per carry by attempt number:
              1-10: 4.0
              11-20: 4.0
              21-30: 2.6

Barber currently averages 18.8 carries per game.

If anything, that should show how valuable Tashard Choice may be for the rest of this season, as well as the benefits Felix Jones will provide our offense. 19 isn't a bad number of carries, but I'd be much happier with Barber getting 15 and Jones 10. Of course, without Felix, Choice getting 6-8 and Barber around 17 should be effective as well.

A couple of other interesting stats:
              -Barber leads all running backs with 6 fumbles. Fortunately, he's only lost 2.
              -Jones leads all players with at least 30 carries (granted he has only 30 himself) with an 8.9 yard average. Wow. Even if that average goes down with more carries (which it would), that's super impressive. And much of the credit for that must go to Barber and the way in which Jones complements him.

Comment

• How did I know one of your first post back would be knocking Barber :) Can always count on that when you return.

Furthermore, majority of his games over 20 carries were very good games(outside of Tampa who has one of the best run defenses in the NFL along with Brad Johnson at QB) so I'm not sure of what your point is.

VS Green Bay: 28 carries, 142 rushing yards, 5.1 ypc
                Vs Cincy: 23 carries, 84 yards, 3.7 YPC
                VS Washington: 24 carries, 114 yards, 4.8 YPC

I know you like to look at all his negatives and highlight those but look around at any RB who is getting 25 carries(the few that do), outside of Adrian Peterson your not going to get a sky high YPC, especially not from a bruising Rb.

I agree in that I would prefer someone like Felix getting 10 or so carries but that's not an option now, Barber has done a great job this year in basically being the lead back and a versatile one at that.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Haha... I forgot JJJ was a Barber basher and Julius lover! Oh the good times we have here! I'm glad LL has entrenched himself as one of our faithful Cowboys posters.

Comment

• I'm surprised no one mentioned that yet...
                    yeah Julius you had one hell of a game against us! You don't suck, it's Parcells that turn you into a robot. You're not afraid of contact or can't break a tackle to save your life it's just that Dallas wasn't the right place for you

/sarcasm

And before someone says he has been any good this season, 1/3 of his yards (and all his TDs) came against San Francisco and St Louis.

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

• Well, JJ was actually having a very good season until Holmgren decided to go w/ a platoon in the backfield for some strange reason and then he and JJ got into some kind of scuffle and Julius was starting to get phased out and then benched. He and Holmgren hate eachother. In the right situation, Julius is fully capable of being a very good back, just like his brother. Like I said, he was putting together a great season when he was getting the touches. Just like Thomas, he excels w/ more touches. Julius' bad attitude will most likely be his downfall, though.

As for Marion...I love the guy but, he hasnt been as effective in this carry the load role. Yes, our line sucks at run blocking, it did last year as well and Marion has run into a lot of the same problems Julius ran into a year ago. People talk about vision but, it wasn't a vision problem...Marion has been running into lineman just as much as Julius was. Colombo has "tackled" him like 10 times this year. Truth is, Marion greatly benefited from a tired defense. Now dont get me wrong, Marion could certaintly carry the load but, i'm sure he'd be plauged w/ inconsistant performances like we've seen and I am certainly a believer that he'd regress quicker than most backs. He's a great back to have on any team but, he'd be much, much more effective for us sharing the load and being that closer at the end. Hopefully, Garrett or whoever learn how to use Marion/Felix correctly next year. Garrett shouldnt even be running him into the ground right now...when we have a fully healthy Choice sitting on the bench.
                      Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 12-03-2008, 05:08 AM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                      http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                      KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend
                        Furthermore, majority of his games over 20 carries were very good games(outside of Tampa who has one of the best run defenses in the NFL along with Brad Johnson at QB) so I'm not sure of what your point is.
                        That's like saying his playoff game against the Giants was very good. There is more to it then the statline.

VS Green Bay: 28 carries, 142 rushing yards, 5.1 ypc
                        Vs Cincy: 23 carries, 84 yards, 3.7 YPC
                        VS Washington: 24 carries, 114 yards, 4.8 YPC
                        These stats still do not solve the problem of Marion's piss poor YPC for carries 21-30.

I know you like to look at all his negatives and highlight those but look around at any RB who is getting 25 carries(the few that do), outside of Adrian Peterson your not going to get a sky high YPC, especially not from a bruising Rb.
                        You would be surprised.

And isn't that the goddamn point. If he's not capable of going at top speed at the end of a game because we have exhausted him at the start of the game... Shouldn't we be using him in a way which gives us the best chance to win?

I agree in that I would prefer someone like Felix getting 10 or so carries but that's not an option now, Barber has done a great job this year in basically being the lead back and a versatile one at that.
                        He's done an adequate job.

7th in ATT, 12th in yards and he's not even the TD monster that he's been in previous seasons.

We KNOW Barber is not an every-down back. So can we stop being subjected to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by JJJ888 View Post
                          I got some more for you. Just spent the last couple of hours pouring over stats. Here's one that was striking:

Marion Barber, average per carry by attempt number:
                          1-10: 4.0
                          11-20: 4.0
                          21-30: 2.6

Barber currently averages 18.8 carries per game.

If anything, that should show how valuable Tashard Choice may be for the rest of this season, as well as the benefits Felix Jones will provide our offense. 19 isn't a bad number of carries, but I'd be much happier with Barber getting 15 and Jones 10. Of course, without Felix, Choice getting 6-8 and Barber around 17 should be effective as well.

A couple of other interesting stats:
                          -Barber leads all running backs with 6 fumbles. Fortunately, he's only lost 2.
                          -Jones leads all players with at least 30 carries (granted he has only 30 himself) with an 8.9 yard average. Wow. Even if that average goes down with more carries (which it would), that's super impressive. And much of the credit for that must go to Barber and the way in which Jones complements him.

I don't like your negative "tone" about Barber, but I do agree with your overall point that 15-20 touches for Barber and 6-12 touches a game for Felix is optimal.

Which bring up the most frustrating aspect of the whole season for me....The Wash game in which Felix was not given touches.

There is no question in my mind that if Felix gets 8-10 touches, we win that game.
                          In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• I'd also like to point out to my long-time colleague Trips that the 20+ carry range is likely coming at the end of games, when all we're doing is killing clock. Defenses are keyed into what's happening, so the stat is sort of misleading. The NFL is not a league defined by stats, but they can be useful. Anyway, good to see you back even if it's trying to tear down the Barbarian.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ward View Post
                              I'd also like to point out to my long-time colleague Trips that the 20+ carry range is likely coming at the end of games, when all we're doing is killing clock. Defenses are keyed into what's happening, so the stat is sort of misleading. The NFL is not a league defined by stats, but they can be useful. Anyway, good to see you back even if it's trying to tear down the Barbarian.
                              Another excellent point. Don't let stats fool you guys. Barber is one of the Top RBs in the league and we should be very grateful that he's on our side. Nobody should be missing Julius unless you have a screw loose.

Comment

• Here's a stat.

Barber is second among running backs in passes caught and receiving yards this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information